Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
think ill stick with the interlocks. i did however pick up a box of winchester powermax bonded just to mix it up some.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You know now that I think of it I've never gotten much of a blood trail from the deer I can recall shooting with interlocks. For years most of my CF rifles were fed bulk corelok bullets so I have a pretty limited sample of 4 kills all within the past few years with various rifles using interlocks.

First was at about 15yds with a 270 and a 140 gr btsp she dropped at the shot bullet angled from ribs to in front of the off shoulder at a steep downward angle breaking the off leg after exiting the chest no bullet recovered.

Second was at about 200yds a 165gr btsp out of a 308 drt. Bullet angled through rib cage to exit if front of off shoulder no bullet recovered

Third and Forth were 117gr btsp out of my 257 Roberts one ran a shot distance 10yds or so and I saw him fall so I can't recall much about the blood trail, shot was broadside thru ribs behind shoulder a double lunger. 2nd entered rib cage and angled thru off shoulder no bullets recovered. 2nd was the only deer I ever took running, his nose immediately dropped to the dirt and he flipped and landed on his side and he never wiggled after that.

For some reason though despite not leaving any blood trails I think Hornadys are great bullets for whitetails and have used more of them lately as the coreloks have increased in price and my supplies have been used up. If your rifle likes them and you have them already, I see no reason to change.

Last edited by bangeye; 08/20/14.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would choose Partitions for whitetails of the two bullets. Fast expansion and exit holes work for me. If I were doing a lot of long range shooting I would use the Ballistic tip or the Sierra BTSP. These would be in 165 grains. But it would be a much shorter list if we were looking for bullets that were absolutely unsuitable for hunting deer.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I would load up some 150 or 165 Partitions (whichever your rifle prefers) and go kill chit.

Have fun and good luck, Tom

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by killindeer
i have a box of 150gr interlocks left over from last year but was wanting to try something else this year. anyone shoot partitions or accubonds in their 308? would one be a better choice than the other? ive read that accubonds dont open up fast enough in some cases but ive also read its an outstanding deer bullet. ive wanted to try partitions but some guys say those r for bigger game than deer

I shoot both. At 308 velocities, the partition will give a little quicker kill IME if you do not hit bone.

Both will kill the deer just as dead if placed properly. If it has not been said, use the bullet that shoots most accurately in your rifle/load. For confidence if nothing else.

EDIT: 150 Hornady Interlocks will kill deer just as well, and possibly better.

Last edited by 1Deernut; 09/02/14.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
yea i pretty much decided to keep shooting the interlocks for now. ive got plenty left anyway.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Just read a pretty good G&A article on PT vs AB vs BT. They say the PT penetrates 10% more than the AC but the AC opens to a (slightly) larger diameter -- hence the slightly shallower penetration. Weight retention is similiar in both. I didn't read anything that would cause me to switch from Partitions --- which shoot well in both my Deer and Elk rifles. The AC would be my next choice though.

I ALSO like InterLocks for Deer: and Ballistic Tips.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

177 members (12344mag, 338rcm, 1eyedmule, 257 mag, 2UP, 300jimmy, 14 invisible), 1,383 guests, and 874 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,278
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.