Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Billu Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have an old 1898 krag sporter that needs to have some action work done to make it feed properly. Does anyone have some recommendations?

GB1

Billu Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
No One?

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Is it hanging the bullet tip on the LH side of the receiver right where it leaves the magazine, as you try to feed rounds into the chamber?

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What shaped bullets are you trying to make it feed with? Is the side plate one for an 1898 or an 1896? Early or late magazine cutoff spindle?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Has the rifle been rechambered to something other than the original 30 US (30-40)? Unaltered Krags rarely have feeding problems.

http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=news

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
What shaped bullets are you trying to make it feed with? Is the side plate one for an 1898 or an 1896? Early or late magazine cutoff spindle?

Think we're going the same place gnoahh!

Founder

WS

Billu Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It does hang up at the left side of chamber. Remington 180 spitzer. I had a new barrel from CMP put on and it just will not work right. The old barrel fed these like butter.

Billu Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Is it hanging the bullet tip on the LH side of the receiver right where it leaves the magazine, as you try to feed rounds into the chamber?
Yes

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
You may not like my answer but you may wanna switch to round nose projectiles. I did and solved issue. You will probably have to handload them. One of my Krags does the same thing with Rem factory 180 pointed soft points. Other three Krags feed them fine. Think those Remington bullets are just not quite seated deep enough. IMHO.

Mebbe some of the other Krag shooters have a better answer to the dilemma.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 06/15/14.

Founder

WS

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd compare the old barrel with the new and see if there is any obvious difference between the configurations. Or, as suggested by kaywoodie, try some RNs and forget the pointies.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ditto. But I doubt the barrel is an issue as the new Criterion barrels are dead nuts exactly like the Armory barrels. I put one on my sporter too.

As a rule, a Krag should feed just about anything- at least the bunch I've owned over the years have. The only real feeding issue I ever had was when trying to cycle some ammo loaded with Speer 100 grain Plinkers which made for extremely short cartridges.

I would guarantee that the correct side plate and magazine cutoff are in place. The '98 cutoff spindle is longer than the '96 and as such keeps the cartridge nose-on longer as its rim is guided by it as the bolt pushes it forward. Likewise the side plate has a raised portion on the upper rear inside surface that acts in union with the cutoff spindle. Length of that shallow hump is longer in a '98 (re: longer cutoff spindle). I can see that if it has mismatched parts right there they'll cause some subtle feeding issues. Unfortunately, you can't look at them and say "oh yeah" without a frame of reference or a Krag loony's eagle eye. A '96 side plate will fit in a '98, but not the reverse (front lip of plate being .020" thicker on a '98). I hope I didn't confuse you!

Billu Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have a Peep Sight that takes the place of the cut off. But it fired and cycled with the old barrel. I have several reference books. I will look to see about the side plate. Lots of good input so far.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Is the sight a Pacific or a Redfield?

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I will throw this out as far as parts go, S&S Firearms has a pretty decent supply of original and reproduction parts. If one is in the need of parts.

[Linked Image]

I have a receiver sight on my favorite Krag too! It's a Redfield so I had to remove the mag cut-off. Last year I hauled it up to the mountains along with my 9.3 x 62 chasing elk!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 06/16/14.

Founder

WS

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Krags just seem so at home in the woods. It's like seeing a spry old man out-hiking a gaggle of teenagers through difficult terrain.

I'm (still) in process of a Krag sporter build. English walnut stock, new 24" (shortened) Criterion barrel, Lyman 48 rear sight, steel stock furniture from Michael Petrov's collection.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
The above rifle is the one I occasionally have trouble with the pointed projectiles. Just as Billu and I described. Redfield sight use means removals of mag cut-off selector. Wonder if a modified mag cut-off would help? One that is installed in receiver with the selector lever cut off so the use of the Redfield aperture sight could still be employed? Selector permanently fixed in "magazine on" position??? I doubly this would correct Billu's dilemma, but would cause the projectile to kick out a bit more and improve feeding. Just a thought.

Founder

WS

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If it's a Redfield sight the cutoff is not "totally" removed. The lever end is cut off and it is re-installed with the flat side down.

Redfield instructions: http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.org/yabbfiles/Attachments/Redfield-williams_004.JPG

I have this sight on my Krag installed per the Redfield instructions and have no feeding issues.

Complete thread on "no drill" Krag sights:
http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1377102600/7

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Craigster
If it's a Redfield sight the cutoff is not "totally" removed. The lever end is cut off and it is re-installed with the flat side down.

Redfield instructions: http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.org/yabbfiles/Attachments/Redfield-williams_004.JPG

I have this sight on my Krag installed per the Redfield instructions and have no feeding issues.

Complete thread on "no drill" Krag sights:
http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1377102600/7

The 70 Redfield is whats on mine Craigster! Thanks for posting. When I received the rifle, the previous owner had simply removed the entire mag cut off and them installed the sight. Glad to see I was re-inventing the wheel! LOL!

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Here was my solution. Picked up a repro 1898 mag cut-off lever from Numrich. And really wasn't comfy with removing the whole lever from the shank. So I dremilled a notch in the shank/ lever. Works like a champ now. No hang ups. Slick as glass again!

[Linked Image]

Thanks again to all for their posts!

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Krag is an interesting and well made action. Not strong, but satisfying to use smile This one has been in the family a long time - I think my Dad and at least one uncle got their first deer with it. They were amazed that I got a doe with it in 2010.

[Linked Image]

That one has since been handed-up to an uncle. I've added a Ruger #1 in the same caliber, which can take .308-class loads. One of these days I'd like to add another original Krag, nicely sporterized. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (300_savage, 264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, 13 invisible), 1,581 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,435
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.