-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I prefer my little S&W .38 special 5-shot Bodygaurd. It only weighs 14 ounces and has a built in Lazer. I see them on GunBroker quite often for around $400.
Mine stays loaded with 5 +P Speer Goldot Hollow Points.
They are very similar to the Ruger LCR, but have a better trigger & smaller grip. IMO

If I do choose to pack a small auto instead, I go with my Kahr CM-9 compact.
Mine works flawlessly, has a great trigger, and is amazingly accurate. It is, however almost twice as heavy as my S&W .38 Bodygaurd.
On the plus side, though, it will hold 8 rounds with the extended mag, vs the S&W Revolver which holds only 5.

Here's a link to the S&W Bodygaurd on Gunbroker :

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=423096142

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Raeford
I'm . . . looking for a totally concealed pistol.

Please define �totally concealed�. The amount of highly concealable pocket guns has gone up substantially in the last 20 years. You can go from a NAA mini in the 5 ounce range to a Springfield XDs that is going to run about 26 ounces loaded and really stretches the term �pocket gun�. A lot of the new S&W revolvers run in the 14 ounce and lower range unloaded. There are .380 packages that weigh less than that loaded. Personally, my pocket gun is a Sig P938 9mm with a 6 round magazine, backed up by 2 more 6 round magazines (when it is primary) in an IWB rig. The gun loaded weighs about 20 ounces. It is not invisible, but the iPhone 5s on my belt under a Polo shirt prints a lot more than the Sig in my jeans pocket. My set of keys with a couple of �modern� car fobs and an RSA fob weighs 5 ounces and prints like crazy in a pocket.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For true, non printing and COMFORTABLE carry in a pocket, I have been more than pleased with my Kel Tec P3AT 380. I am not a big fan of the 3800 cartridge, but with Buffalo Bore +P+ ammo I get a chronographed 1125fps with thier 100gr HCFN bullet, and over 1200 with thier 90gr HP. I have four of the former, and three of the latter stacked, alternating, in my P3AT right now. For a real, POCKET gun I consider this to be a pretty decent option.

Most days, I am packing my 10mm full size 1911 or my 329PD 44 Magnum. But as dedicated as I am to 24/7/365 carry there ARE times when a pocket pistol really is the only real option for carry.

The next step up, but in my opinion just a hair too big for easy pocket carry, is Sherri's (asphaltangel) Kel Tec PF-9. Smallest, lightest and thinnest 9mm going as far as I know. Great trigger, super comfortable to pack, but it does not fit in my jeans pockets at all without showing.

Good luck in your search, I wish you lived close enough to come shoot our Kel Tec's. We really like them.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
For a true pocket pistol I think you are really limited the small 380s. Revolvers are too wide and guns like the Kahr CM9, keltec PF9 and the XDS are really too big for jean pockets. I personally carry a Taurus TCP at times when I can't carry anything else. I handled all the major 380s and went with the TCP due to its trigger and last round hold open. It really does have a nice dao trigger for an auto.

I load the TCP with Fiocchi 90gr XTP which has shown good penetration for a 380 HP. The 380s are a compromise and I admit I never get a warm fuzzy feeling carrying it but its better than an stick or rock.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
S&W 638 or 642 alloy frame light weight no plastic +P rated. No need to pay the premium for .357 mag chambering it is not practical in a less than 16oz. gun. Usually available at decent prices.

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sig P239 9mm stoked with 115 gr CorBon DPX or handloaded equivalent, 9 rounds of blazing fun on tap.

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Another vote for the Ruger LCR in 38 or S&W 642. Concealable, affordable, reliable, light weight and lethal.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
An Airweight J frame is very, very hard to top for a pocket gun. Either a hammerless, such as the 442/642 or a Bodyguard, shrouded hammer version.

I carry one as a second gun every day at work and talk to a lot of turds with my in my pocket, all casual like, until I determine if they are a potential threat or not...

My 442 is one of my 5 "must have", basic handgun battery guns.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm a fairly big guy and wear carpenter style jeans 95+% of the time. These jeans have decent sized front pockets. I know that there isn't much out there beyond the LCP's and like styled pistols that will hardly print at all but I want something different as I just don't like the feel of these when shooting them.
I appreciate all of the suggestions and will be looking at everything mentioned so far.

FJB & FJT
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
An Airweight J frame is very, very hard to top for a pocket gun. Either a hammerless, such as the 442/642 or a Bodyguard, shrouded hammer version.

I carry one as a second gun every day at work and talk to a lot of turds with my in my pocket, all casual like, until I determine if they are a potential threat or not...

I agree, it's hard to beat the 442/642 guns for BUG/pocket carry in a "generous" front pocket such as BDU's or other duty pants. I know a LOT of experienced coppers who have a 442 in their front pocket 99% of the time, and their "interview" stance when conversing with unsavory characters is the same as yours.

I got into the habit of carrying my 442 in my left front pocket and training with it shooting left-hand only, for a bunch of reasons that may or may not be valid.

One thing about the J-frames a lot of folks don't pay enough attention to, IMHO, is that they're not easy to shoot accurately unless you train regularly. Adding a Crimson Trace grip laser helps, but you still have to train. The laser increases my combat accuracy distance to 35-40 yards.

Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
My 442 is one of my 5 "must have", basic handgun battery guns.

That's interesting. I'd be curious to ask what the other 4 might be?

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Doc,

I too carry my 442 99% of the time in my left front pocket. People tend to fixate on the strong side holstered weapon that is visible, and do not suspect that I have a full firing grip on my J Frame. It appears very casual, yet is as ready as you can reasonably be. I also dedicate a fair bit of my J frame practice time to left handed operation of the BUG.

As far as a basic 5:

[Linked Image]

For me, it covers recreational plinking, concealed carry/self defense/home defense, hunting and competition. Very basic actually.

I am not a stickler on some. The Ruger MKII could be replaced with a Colt Woodsman, Browning Buckmark, or some other high quality .22. The 1911 could be a Colt Lightweight Commander, etc. Though if a person is only going to have one 1911, a 5" Govt. Model is right at the top of the list.

The 5" Model 29 covers hunting, hiking, and all other manner of outdoors activities. In fact, I can think of no finer outdoorsman's sidearm than a 5" Model 29. Not a bad home defense gun in a pinch too.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nice choices, Mac. I was intrigued enough by this question that I started another thread on it to see if other folks have different ideas.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500
Sig P239

I don't think I own a pocket big enough to hide one of those discretely.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Smith j frame or Ruger lcp

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
No issues with a .40 Sheild in a sticky pocket holster

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I carried a Kahr PM9 with extended mag in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II IWB holster in a 7+1 configuration loaded with Winchester Ranger SXT 127 gr +P+ loads for years here in sticky, sunny south FL. After a few years, I felt kinda naked without it.

[Linked Image]

To go a little lighter, and just for something different, a couple years ago I started carrying a little 642 J frame with Crimson Trace laser grips in a sticky neoprene Blackhawk holster in my strong side back pocket and a couple speed loaders in my other side cargo shorts side pocket.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I keep a Beretta PM9 under the seat with an 18 or 20 rd magazine, also loaded with Winchester Ranger 127 gr +P+ rounds. The truck always carries on board several other l8 and 20 rd magazines in the console. This is my go to gun when I'm inspecting any "empty" houses.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by gunner500
Sig P239

I don't think I own a pocket big enough to hide one of those discretely.

Fits neatly in my watch pocket inside right hand jeans pocket, snug as a bug in a rug.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are we talking about the same gun here? I would need a watch pocket big enough to hold one of Flavor Flav's watches in order to hide a P239. Are you sure you are not talking about a P238?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, P239 big bowed trigger guard, may be the jeans I have to wear, levis 560's, cant wear wranglers.

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
[Linked Image]

My choice for the application you describe.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 72 invisible), 2,268 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,124
Posts18,464,622
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.