Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Raeford
I'm a fairly big guy and wear carpenter style jeans 95+% of the time. These jeans have decent sized front pockets. I know that there isn't much out there beyond the LCP's and like styled pistols that will hardly print at all but I want something different as I just don't like the feel of these when shooting them.
I appreciate all of the suggestions and will be looking at everything mentioned so far.

Have you tried the S&W Bodyguard .380?
Mine is way more accurate than it should be, and feels better in my hand than the LCP.

Fits in a blackhawk pocket holster and disappears even in the pocket of gym shorts...

I see guys dissing the .380, and i can see their point, but this thing really shoots well, and I have no qualms in carrying it anywhere and everywhere.

with either sights or lazer I can put multiple hits on target, and very quickly...

The LCP is justifiably popular, but most who own one claim that it's not a fun pistol to shoot. IMO, the wider butt and slightly greater size and weight of the BG .380 DO make it fun to shoot. Particularly so because it is so easy to hit with and yet still compact enough to disappear so easily...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
easy total concealment, Kahr CM9 and the Kahr CM40 both are the same size as the PM9 pictured above. Carry an extra magazine in the other pocket.

Often, there are multiple perps. So, if you have to carry a pistol, then carry a reload also.

J frame Smiths are one of the hardest pistols to master.

Kahr pistols use Kart barrels which are EXTREMELY accurate.

As always, it is best to go to an indoor range and try various handguns to see what fits you the best.

I personally don't like any self defense gun that has to use a safety. I have been robbed twice, and the assault during the robbery can really rattle a guy. As far as I am concerned, a safety can get you killed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I carried a Kahr PM9 with extended mag in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II IWB holster in a 7+1 configuration loaded with Winchester Ranger SXT 127 gr +P+ loads for years here in sticky, sunny south FL. After a few years, I felt kinda naked without it.

[Linked Image]

Although, I am not a fan of pocket carry (mostly a comfort issue), if I do go that route, I too carry a PM9. I load with a standard 6 rd mag and carry a 7 rounder in my other pocket. I also use one of these:

[Linked Image]

Although, I must emphasize that my pocket carry is limited. I carry this gun in an IWB much more than in-pocket. I just hate sitting down with this or any gun in the pocket of a pair of jeans. It's OK with suit pants, like in the promo pic, above. Fortunately, I almost always wear the jacket with my suit, so I can carry something IWB.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There have been a lot of comments about how hard 642 size .38s are to shoot. I wish everyone would remember that the next time a "which pistol for my wife" thread is started.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have a DAO titanium 38 from Mr Smith. I can keep the bullets in the black at 7 yards with great focus. Every time it fires unpleasantness is transported to my right palm. After 15 rounds I always want to get rid of it. Then my wife says "let's go for a walk" on the beach in our bathing suits and with a T shirt and the hip grip you never know it's there. Your not going to be hitting baseballs at 25 yards with it but BTB it's your best friend as the sun sets on a long walk.

AND it's the worst possible recommendation for a woman of average ability and hand strength.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Trigger jobs on the J Frames go a long way in aiding accuracy, but forget reloads.

The Kahr PM and CM 9s are simply unreal accurate, never a jam, and are more accurate than a Smith at twice the price. 7 shot back up magazines are a real Plus.

Also with the PM, CM, CW series you can stick the muzzle in the watch pocket of your jeans with the pistol under your belt and it is SNUG!

Last edited by keith; 06/26/14.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My vote goes for the Kahr PM9 or P9 if you prefer just a little bigger

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
For a true pocket pistol I think you are really limited the small 380s.I personally carry a Taurus TCP at times when I can't carry anything else. I handled all the major 380s and went with the TCP due to its trigger and last round hold open. It really does have a nice dao trigger for an auto.

Mine is quite accurate, even with the all-but nonexistent iron sights. I added a Crimson Trace laser site that weights nothing and adds tremendously to it's use.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Raeford
I'm definitely no gun aficionado and am looking for a totally concealed pistol. When I carry on my belt it is a Glock 21. Everything else I own are antiqish revolvers.
My wife and son already have/carry LCP's and I would like something different to add and carry without breaking my bank.

Suggestions?
Thanks

My choice, would be to get a nice model 60 J-frame, I prefer an all stainless vs the lightweight versions. Have a good smith clean it up and smooth out the trigger, and then shoot it regularly until the wheels fall off, which should be quite a ways down the road. A speer 38 short barrel load will work wonderfully. I've carried the same J-frame professionally for conceal carry duties since S&W converted the frame to handle 357mag back in '96, IIRC. Its now gone on to see 18 years of service, just had the armorer break it down to inspect, no parts were in need of replacement, and it is back in service. I routinely maintain max qualification scores with this revolver, it is not difficult getting a great trigger out of the factory S&W, and it is not difficult learning to shoot a J-frame well, with a good trigger and when using good technique.

Though the J-frame cylinder at its widest point is often wider than many pocket pistols, the remainder of the revolver is rather trim, and its shape easily and comfortably fits close to the body in numerous locations where such handgun would be carried. I am particular about grips on such handgun. With the proper grips, the J-frame is easy to manage, it tends to naturally point on target when at close range, it is uber reliable with minimum maintenance, and it will work equally well as a farm tool when badly abused, as it does when worn under a business suit and kept clean and well oiled. Very claw hammer tough and reliable while being refined enough to operate smoothly.

Not everyone likes revolvers, but quite a few within my circle, having a good deal of experience with modern combat handguns, still prefer to carry a simple J-frame as a pocket/concealed carry handgun. It's a good option to consider.

Good luck with your choice,
Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
my brother in law was a LAPD detective. He said that they had a lot of trouble getting their officers trained to shoot the 2" J frame accurately...they had to use stock unaltered guns. He said that he never could shoot one worth a damn.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Raeford,

I do not like so-called pocket pistols. But that's merely my opinion. The reason is a handgun should be used as a last resort to get one out of a deadly situation. Were somebody hellbent on reducing me to room temperature, I'd want the best handgun I can afford chambered for a cartridge that can get the job done.

It might be a good idea to keep in mind that bad guys do bad things in groups. It might be wise to consider that you might have to confront two or more bad guys who have bad intentions.

I have a Model 60. I consider the .38 Special as absolute minimum for saving my life, and at that, it's a neck and up gun. The problem is bad guys don't stand still while they're shooting at good guys. And good guys ought not stand still so as to give bad guys stationary targets. If I had it to do again, I would not have bought my Model 60. 5 rounds of what I consider a minimum self-defense cartridge and too long to put five more in ain't my idea of a gun that I'd want to rely upon to save my life.

My preferred gun, when I do carry one, which is extremely rare, is a P-229 with 13 180 grain LE rounds. I'd prefer a Model 1911A1 in .45ACP, but there is tactical advantage to not having to reload while bad guys are shooting at good guys.

BTW, it ain't hard to conceal a P-229. And it ain't that hard to conceal a full-size 1911A1.

Keep in mind that the gun you choose might be the one that allows you to remain above ground. If you think a pocket pistol is up to that task, then I wish you luck with your choice.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by keith
my brother in law was a LAPD detective. He said that they had a lot of trouble getting their officers trained to shoot the 2" J frame accurately...they had to use stock unaltered guns. He said that he never could shoot one worth a damn.

A 2" Model 60 ain't designed to be accurate. Such guns used to be called belly guns. That's because they are designed for use where accuracy ain't the primary concern.

Stand 6' from a silhouette and fire five shots as fast as you can using at most a shoulder point. If you can get all five rounds in the neck or above, you're doing great. Keep in mind that bad guys are rarely stationary targets.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SansSouci

My preferred gun, when I do carry one, which is extremely rare, is a P-229 with 13 180 grain LE rounds.

Note - bold added above is mine - not from the original quote.

While I agree with much of what you said in your post above, I think the point of the pocket pistol argument is EXACTLY what you reference.

What do you carry when your preferred carry option isn't practical? I also feel better with a G19/23/32/30 or a 1911 but admit that there are times when carrying one just doesn't work itself easily into the plan.

As I see it, that leaves (at least) 3 options listed in my order of preference:
1. Change the plan / attire to accommodate your preferred weapon (dress around the gun).
2. Carry something that does fit with the attire or situation.
3. Don't carry. For ME - this is easily the least desirable option so when I cannot do option 1 I like to have choices for option 2.

I never feel as well prepared with an LCR as with a G19 or 1911 (just as an example) but definitely better than when I have only a pocket knife ...

Obviously you are free to make your own decisions on carry options and I wish you the best with them. For me - I find myself looking to minimize / eliminate times when I am unprepared as I'm sure that is when Murphy will find me.

YMMV

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by keith

That means they didn't know how to shoot.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Raeford,

I do not like so-called pocket pistols. But that's merely my opinion. The reason is a handgun should be used as a last resort to get one out of a deadly situation. Were somebody hellbent on reducing me to room temperature, I'd want the best handgun I can afford chambered for a cartridge that can get the job done.

It might be a good idea to keep in mind that bad guys do bad things in groups. It might be wise to consider that you might have to confront two or more bad guys who have bad intentions.

I have a Model 60. I consider the .38 Special as absolute minimum for saving my life, and at that, it's a neck and up gun. The problem is bad guys don't stand still while they're shooting at good guys. And good guys ought not stand still so as to give bad guys stationary targets. If I had it to do again, I would not have bought my Model 60. 5 rounds of what I consider a minimum self-defense cartridge and too long to put five more in ain't my idea of a gun that I'd want to rely upon to save my life.

My preferred gun, when I do carry one, which is extremely rare, is a P-229 with 13 180 grain LE rounds. I'd prefer a Model 1911A1 in .45ACP, but there is tactical advantage to not having to reload while bad guys are shooting at good guys.

BTW, it ain't hard to conceal a P-229. And it ain't that hard to conceal a full-size 1911A1.

Keep in mind that the gun you choose might be the one that allows you to remain above ground. If you think a pocket pistol is up to that task, then I wish you luck with your choice.

^^^^

This guy gets dumber by the fuggin' minute.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Raeford,

^^^^

This guy gets dumber by the fuggin' minute.

Travis

'flave,

Please don't quote SanSouci/Raisuli/laguna/etc. He's been a liar and a fraud since his first incarnation here and that has not and will not change.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Must be my phone.

When I quote him, it looks like this.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4ager

'flave,

Please don't quote SanSouci/Raisuli/laguna/etc. He's been a liar and a fraud since his first incarnation here and that has not and will not change.

Sorry, guys. I'll have to fall on the sword as having resurrected this discussion and doing the original quoting while trying actually make a point. Didn't mean to drum up yet another trolling contest from anyone.

FWIW - I have to agree with 'flave on the LCR. Didn't want to like it but ...

Carry on

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think what this thread needs is some pics of me.

Travis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Time to remove this from the watch list ...

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1234, 11point, 2500HD, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 70 invisible), 2,971 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,659
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.