Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm definitely no gun aficionado and am looking for a totally concealed pistol. When I carry on my belt it is a Glock 21. Everything else I own are antiqish revolvers.
My wife and son already have/carry LCP's and I would like something different to add and carry without breaking my bank.

Suggestions?
Thanks

FJB & FJT
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I got two words for you:

L

C

R

And if that doesn't suit you:

G

F

Y

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
442 is my Sunday go-to-meeting front pocket gun.

R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by deflave
I got two words for you:

L

C

R

And if that doesn't suit you:

G

F

Y

Travis

I'm not really in the mood for math this afternoon but I keep coming up with 3 f*cking letters!!
So are here are two for you: GFY

And thanks, revolvers were not something that I have given any thought to, until now.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A internal hammer or shrouded hammer revolver is about as foolproof as you can possibly get. It won't carry as flat or as invisibly in pants pockets as something like an LCP or P3AT would, but it carries well enough, packs enough punch, and will give you far less ammunition sensitivity.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
It won't carry as flat or as invisibly in pants pockets as something like an LCP or P3AT would

Most folk just figure I'm sporting chub.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RWE
It won't carry as flat or as invisibly in pants pockets as something like an LCP or P3AT would

Most folk just figure I'm sporting chub.

At my age, everybody would know it's a gun.........

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I carry an S&W model 38 Airweight. Alloy frame, shrouded hammer.....whats not to like?

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like .38 Special revolvers over the .380's. You won't find any pocket .380's with any load that will pass the FBI's tests, but there are some +P loads for .38 Special that will pass out of a 2" revolver. To me, that says there's a significant difference.

I lean toward the S&W J frames or the Colt Cobra/Agent D frame. My J frame is actually a 6 shot .32 H&R mag which isn't a .38 Special but the .32 H&R tends to out-penetrate the .38 Special, so it's decent.

But my real pocket carry revolver is the 6 shot, 15oz Colt Cobra in .38 Special with Speer Short Barrel +P loads.

The .380's are nice, and it's nice that the reloads are flat and small. In a good pocket holster, the revolvers tend to look less like you're carrying a gun than a flat .380. And I just put a speed loader in the other pocket.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S&W M38 for me also. Great pistol...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The S&W 340PD in a pocket holster works well in my experience. I don't leave home without mine.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The scandium J-frames are bad ass.

But the Ruger gets you there for less coin.

I didn't want to like the LCR's. I really didn't.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Raeford
I'm definitely no gun aficionado and am looking for a totally concealed pistol. When I carry on my belt it is a Glock 21. Everything else I own are antiqish revolvers.
My wife and son already have/carry LCP's and I would like something different to add and carry without breaking my bank.

Suggestions?
Thanks

I wouldn't go near any 380 pistol, personally. The LC9 gives you the significantly better terminal ballistics performance of 9mm with a minimal increase in size and weight. Price is very reasonable for the basic gun. And as Travis says, the LCR is a good alternative if you're into revolvers.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Travis

Me either. But I do like them. Great little guns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doc,

Nice to have you back sir.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Travis
Agreed. The Ruger is an ugly little thing, but is has everything it should and nothing it shouldn't. They're very good guns.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have no experience with that Ruger. As for buying a S&W scandium J frame. You can save yourself from the high MSRP by shopping on gunbroker.com, etc...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
The S&W 340PD in a pocket holster works well in my experience. I don't leave home without mine.

+1 on the 340PD

Or the 442; I have both, the 340 is a bit lighter & more svelte.

Front pocket carry more often than not.

It ain't like havin' a 1911, but it'll do charged with 135gr Gold Dots.

MM

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If you're not into living in the past, skip the revolver and try a compact 45 like a Springfield XDS. I recently bought one and it's no larger-- and, in fact, is thinner-- than my S&W 442 but it carries 6 rounds of 45. Mine has been very reliable with a variety of different loads.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's no doubt I'd prefer a semi; don't have an XDS, but I do have a G26 & G27 & they are simply too heavy (20moz empty) to match the ease of carrying the revolver......the size is not the main issue, for me, but the weight is.

How much does the XDS weigh, loaded up?

Are you realistically carrying it in your front pants/shorts pocket?

Pic of the gun in a front pants pocket?

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I prefer my little S&W .38 special 5-shot Bodygaurd. It only weighs 14 ounces and has a built in Lazer. I see them on GunBroker quite often for around $400.
Mine stays loaded with 5 +P Speer Goldot Hollow Points.
They are very similar to the Ruger LCR, but have a better trigger & smaller grip. IMO

If I do choose to pack a small auto instead, I go with my Kahr CM-9 compact.
Mine works flawlessly, has a great trigger, and is amazingly accurate. It is, however almost twice as heavy as my S&W .38 Bodygaurd.
On the plus side, though, it will hold 8 rounds with the extended mag, vs the S&W Revolver which holds only 5.

Here's a link to the S&W Bodygaurd on Gunbroker :

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=423096142

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm . . . looking for a totally concealed pistol.

Please define �totally concealed�. The amount of highly concealable pocket guns has gone up substantially in the last 20 years. You can go from a NAA mini in the 5 ounce range to a Springfield XDs that is going to run about 26 ounces loaded and really stretches the term �pocket gun�. A lot of the new S&W revolvers run in the 14 ounce and lower range unloaded. There are .380 packages that weigh less than that loaded. Personally, my pocket gun is a Sig P938 9mm with a 6 round magazine, backed up by 2 more 6 round magazines (when it is primary) in an IWB rig. The gun loaded weighs about 20 ounces. It is not invisible, but the iPhone 5s on my belt under a Polo shirt prints a lot more than the Sig in my jeans pocket. My set of keys with a couple of �modern� car fobs and an RSA fob weighs 5 ounces and prints like crazy in a pocket.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For true, non printing and COMFORTABLE carry in a pocket, I have been more than pleased with my Kel Tec P3AT 380. I am not a big fan of the 3800 cartridge, but with Buffalo Bore +P+ ammo I get a chronographed 1125fps with thier 100gr HCFN bullet, and over 1200 with thier 90gr HP. I have four of the former, and three of the latter stacked, alternating, in my P3AT right now. For a real, POCKET gun I consider this to be a pretty decent option.

Most days, I am packing my 10mm full size 1911 or my 329PD 44 Magnum. But as dedicated as I am to 24/7/365 carry there ARE times when a pocket pistol really is the only real option for carry.

The next step up, but in my opinion just a hair too big for easy pocket carry, is Sherri's (asphaltangel) Kel Tec PF-9. Smallest, lightest and thinnest 9mm going as far as I know. Great trigger, super comfortable to pack, but it does not fit in my jeans pockets at all without showing.

Good luck in your search, I wish you lived close enough to come shoot our Kel Tec's. We really like them.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
For a true pocket pistol I think you are really limited the small 380s. Revolvers are too wide and guns like the Kahr CM9, keltec PF9 and the XDS are really too big for jean pockets. I personally carry a Taurus TCP at times when I can't carry anything else. I handled all the major 380s and went with the TCP due to its trigger and last round hold open. It really does have a nice dao trigger for an auto.

I load the TCP with Fiocchi 90gr XTP which has shown good penetration for a 380 HP. The 380s are a compromise and I admit I never get a warm fuzzy feeling carrying it but its better than an stick or rock.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
S&W 638 or 642 alloy frame light weight no plastic +P rated. No need to pay the premium for .357 mag chambering it is not practical in a less than 16oz. gun. Usually available at decent prices.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sig P239 9mm stoked with 115 gr CorBon DPX or handloaded equivalent, 9 rounds of blazing fun on tap.

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Another vote for the Ruger LCR in 38 or S&W 642. Concealable, affordable, reliable, light weight and lethal.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
An Airweight J frame is very, very hard to top for a pocket gun. Either a hammerless, such as the 442/642 or a Bodyguard, shrouded hammer version.

I carry one as a second gun every day at work and talk to a lot of turds with my in my pocket, all casual like, until I determine if they are a potential threat or not...

My 442 is one of my 5 "must have", basic handgun battery guns.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm a fairly big guy and wear carpenter style jeans 95+% of the time. These jeans have decent sized front pockets. I know that there isn't much out there beyond the LCP's and like styled pistols that will hardly print at all but I want something different as I just don't like the feel of these when shooting them.
I appreciate all of the suggestions and will be looking at everything mentioned so far.

FJB & FJT
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
An Airweight J frame is very, very hard to top for a pocket gun. Either a hammerless, such as the 442/642 or a Bodyguard, shrouded hammer version.

I carry one as a second gun every day at work and talk to a lot of turds with my in my pocket, all casual like, until I determine if they are a potential threat or not...

I agree, it's hard to beat the 442/642 guns for BUG/pocket carry in a "generous" front pocket such as BDU's or other duty pants. I know a LOT of experienced coppers who have a 442 in their front pocket 99% of the time, and their "interview" stance when conversing with unsavory characters is the same as yours.

I got into the habit of carrying my 442 in my left front pocket and training with it shooting left-hand only, for a bunch of reasons that may or may not be valid.

One thing about the J-frames a lot of folks don't pay enough attention to, IMHO, is that they're not easy to shoot accurately unless you train regularly. Adding a Crimson Trace grip laser helps, but you still have to train. The laser increases my combat accuracy distance to 35-40 yards.

Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
My 442 is one of my 5 "must have", basic handgun battery guns.

That's interesting. I'd be curious to ask what the other 4 might be?

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Doc,

I too carry my 442 99% of the time in my left front pocket. People tend to fixate on the strong side holstered weapon that is visible, and do not suspect that I have a full firing grip on my J Frame. It appears very casual, yet is as ready as you can reasonably be. I also dedicate a fair bit of my J frame practice time to left handed operation of the BUG.

As far as a basic 5:

[Linked Image]

For me, it covers recreational plinking, concealed carry/self defense/home defense, hunting and competition. Very basic actually.

I am not a stickler on some. The Ruger MKII could be replaced with a Colt Woodsman, Browning Buckmark, or some other high quality .22. The 1911 could be a Colt Lightweight Commander, etc. Though if a person is only going to have one 1911, a 5" Govt. Model is right at the top of the list.

The 5" Model 29 covers hunting, hiking, and all other manner of outdoors activities. In fact, I can think of no finer outdoorsman's sidearm than a 5" Model 29. Not a bad home defense gun in a pinch too.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nice choices, Mac. I was intrigued enough by this question that I started another thread on it to see if other folks have different ideas.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500
Sig P239

I don't think I own a pocket big enough to hide one of those discretely.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Smith j frame or Ruger lcp

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
No issues with a .40 Sheild in a sticky pocket holster

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I carried a Kahr PM9 with extended mag in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II IWB holster in a 7+1 configuration loaded with Winchester Ranger SXT 127 gr +P+ loads for years here in sticky, sunny south FL. After a few years, I felt kinda naked without it.

[Linked Image]

To go a little lighter, and just for something different, a couple years ago I started carrying a little 642 J frame with Crimson Trace laser grips in a sticky neoprene Blackhawk holster in my strong side back pocket and a couple speed loaders in my other side cargo shorts side pocket.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I keep a Beretta PM9 under the seat with an 18 or 20 rd magazine, also loaded with Winchester Ranger 127 gr +P+ rounds. The truck always carries on board several other l8 and 20 rd magazines in the console. This is my go to gun when I'm inspecting any "empty" houses.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by gunner500
Sig P239

I don't think I own a pocket big enough to hide one of those discretely.

Fits neatly in my watch pocket inside right hand jeans pocket, snug as a bug in a rug.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are we talking about the same gun here? I would need a watch pocket big enough to hold one of Flavor Flav's watches in order to hide a P239. Are you sure you are not talking about a P238?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, P239 big bowed trigger guard, may be the jeans I have to wear, levis 560's, cant wear wranglers.

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
[Linked Image]

My choice for the application you describe.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a fairly big guy and wear carpenter style jeans 95+% of the time. These jeans have decent sized front pockets. I know that there isn't much out there beyond the LCP's and like styled pistols that will hardly print at all but I want something different as I just don't like the feel of these when shooting them.
I appreciate all of the suggestions and will be looking at everything mentioned so far.

Have you tried the S&W Bodyguard .380?
Mine is way more accurate than it should be, and feels better in my hand than the LCP.

Fits in a blackhawk pocket holster and disappears even in the pocket of gym shorts...

I see guys dissing the .380, and i can see their point, but this thing really shoots well, and I have no qualms in carrying it anywhere and everywhere.

with either sights or lazer I can put multiple hits on target, and very quickly...

The LCP is justifiably popular, but most who own one claim that it's not a fun pistol to shoot. IMO, the wider butt and slightly greater size and weight of the BG .380 DO make it fun to shoot. Particularly so because it is so easy to hit with and yet still compact enough to disappear so easily...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
easy total concealment, Kahr CM9 and the Kahr CM40 both are the same size as the PM9 pictured above. Carry an extra magazine in the other pocket.

Often, there are multiple perps. So, if you have to carry a pistol, then carry a reload also.

J frame Smiths are one of the hardest pistols to master.

Kahr pistols use Kart barrels which are EXTREMELY accurate.

As always, it is best to go to an indoor range and try various handguns to see what fits you the best.

I personally don't like any self defense gun that has to use a safety. I have been robbed twice, and the assault during the robbery can really rattle a guy. As far as I am concerned, a safety can get you killed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I carried a Kahr PM9 with extended mag in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II IWB holster in a 7+1 configuration loaded with Winchester Ranger SXT 127 gr +P+ loads for years here in sticky, sunny south FL. After a few years, I felt kinda naked without it.

[Linked Image]

Although, I am not a fan of pocket carry (mostly a comfort issue), if I do go that route, I too carry a PM9. I load with a standard 6 rd mag and carry a 7 rounder in my other pocket. I also use one of these:

[Linked Image]

Although, I must emphasize that my pocket carry is limited. I carry this gun in an IWB much more than in-pocket. I just hate sitting down with this or any gun in the pocket of a pair of jeans. It's OK with suit pants, like in the promo pic, above. Fortunately, I almost always wear the jacket with my suit, so I can carry something IWB.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There have been a lot of comments about how hard 642 size .38s are to shoot. I wish everyone would remember that the next time a "which pistol for my wife" thread is started.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have a DAO titanium 38 from Mr Smith. I can keep the bullets in the black at 7 yards with great focus. Every time it fires unpleasantness is transported to my right palm. After 15 rounds I always want to get rid of it. Then my wife says "let's go for a walk" on the beach in our bathing suits and with a T shirt and the hip grip you never know it's there. Your not going to be hitting baseballs at 25 yards with it but BTB it's your best friend as the sun sets on a long walk.

AND it's the worst possible recommendation for a woman of average ability and hand strength.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Trigger jobs on the J Frames go a long way in aiding accuracy, but forget reloads.

The Kahr PM and CM 9s are simply unreal accurate, never a jam, and are more accurate than a Smith at twice the price. 7 shot back up magazines are a real Plus.

Also with the PM, CM, CW series you can stick the muzzle in the watch pocket of your jeans with the pistol under your belt and it is SNUG!

Last edited by keith; 06/26/14.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My vote goes for the Kahr PM9 or P9 if you prefer just a little bigger

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
For a true pocket pistol I think you are really limited the small 380s.I personally carry a Taurus TCP at times when I can't carry anything else. I handled all the major 380s and went with the TCP due to its trigger and last round hold open. It really does have a nice dao trigger for an auto.

Mine is quite accurate, even with the all-but nonexistent iron sights. I added a Crimson Trace laser site that weights nothing and adds tremendously to it's use.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Suggestions?
Thanks

My choice, would be to get a nice model 60 J-frame, I prefer an all stainless vs the lightweight versions. Have a good smith clean it up and smooth out the trigger, and then shoot it regularly until the wheels fall off, which should be quite a ways down the road. A speer 38 short barrel load will work wonderfully. I've carried the same J-frame professionally for conceal carry duties since S&W converted the frame to handle 357mag back in '96, IIRC. Its now gone on to see 18 years of service, just had the armorer break it down to inspect, no parts were in need of replacement, and it is back in service. I routinely maintain max qualification scores with this revolver, it is not difficult getting a great trigger out of the factory S&W, and it is not difficult learning to shoot a J-frame well, with a good trigger and when using good technique.

Though the J-frame cylinder at its widest point is often wider than many pocket pistols, the remainder of the revolver is rather trim, and its shape easily and comfortably fits close to the body in numerous locations where such handgun would be carried. I am particular about grips on such handgun. With the proper grips, the J-frame is easy to manage, it tends to naturally point on target when at close range, it is uber reliable with minimum maintenance, and it will work equally well as a farm tool when badly abused, as it does when worn under a business suit and kept clean and well oiled. Very claw hammer tough and reliable while being refined enough to operate smoothly.

Not everyone likes revolvers, but quite a few within my circle, having a good deal of experience with modern combat handguns, still prefer to carry a simple J-frame as a pocket/concealed carry handgun. It's a good option to consider.

Good luck with your choice,
Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
my brother in law was a LAPD detective. He said that they had a lot of trouble getting their officers trained to shoot the 2" J frame accurately...they had to use stock unaltered guns. He said that he never could shoot one worth a damn.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Raeford,

I do not like so-called pocket pistols. But that's merely my opinion. The reason is a handgun should be used as a last resort to get one out of a deadly situation. Were somebody hellbent on reducing me to room temperature, I'd want the best handgun I can afford chambered for a cartridge that can get the job done.

It might be a good idea to keep in mind that bad guys do bad things in groups. It might be wise to consider that you might have to confront two or more bad guys who have bad intentions.

I have a Model 60. I consider the .38 Special as absolute minimum for saving my life, and at that, it's a neck and up gun. The problem is bad guys don't stand still while they're shooting at good guys. And good guys ought not stand still so as to give bad guys stationary targets. If I had it to do again, I would not have bought my Model 60. 5 rounds of what I consider a minimum self-defense cartridge and too long to put five more in ain't my idea of a gun that I'd want to rely upon to save my life.

My preferred gun, when I do carry one, which is extremely rare, is a P-229 with 13 180 grain LE rounds. I'd prefer a Model 1911A1 in .45ACP, but there is tactical advantage to not having to reload while bad guys are shooting at good guys.

BTW, it ain't hard to conceal a P-229. And it ain't that hard to conceal a full-size 1911A1.

Keep in mind that the gun you choose might be the one that allows you to remain above ground. If you think a pocket pistol is up to that task, then I wish you luck with your choice.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by keith
my brother in law was a LAPD detective. He said that they had a lot of trouble getting their officers trained to shoot the 2" J frame accurately...they had to use stock unaltered guns. He said that he never could shoot one worth a damn.

A 2" Model 60 ain't designed to be accurate. Such guns used to be called belly guns. That's because they are designed for use where accuracy ain't the primary concern.

Stand 6' from a silhouette and fire five shots as fast as you can using at most a shoulder point. If you can get all five rounds in the neck or above, you're doing great. Keep in mind that bad guys are rarely stationary targets.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SansSouci

My preferred gun, when I do carry one, which is extremely rare, is a P-229 with 13 180 grain LE rounds.

Note - bold added above is mine - not from the original quote.

While I agree with much of what you said in your post above, I think the point of the pocket pistol argument is EXACTLY what you reference.

What do you carry when your preferred carry option isn't practical? I also feel better with a G19/23/32/30 or a 1911 but admit that there are times when carrying one just doesn't work itself easily into the plan.

As I see it, that leaves (at least) 3 options listed in my order of preference:
1. Change the plan / attire to accommodate your preferred weapon (dress around the gun).
2. Carry something that does fit with the attire or situation.
3. Don't carry. For ME - this is easily the least desirable option so when I cannot do option 1 I like to have choices for option 2.

I never feel as well prepared with an LCR as with a G19 or 1911 (just as an example) but definitely better than when I have only a pocket knife ...

Obviously you are free to make your own decisions on carry options and I wish you the best with them. For me - I find myself looking to minimize / eliminate times when I am unprepared as I'm sure that is when Murphy will find me.

YMMV

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by keith

That means they didn't know how to shoot.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Raeford,

I do not like so-called pocket pistols. But that's merely my opinion. The reason is a handgun should be used as a last resort to get one out of a deadly situation. Were somebody hellbent on reducing me to room temperature, I'd want the best handgun I can afford chambered for a cartridge that can get the job done.

It might be a good idea to keep in mind that bad guys do bad things in groups. It might be wise to consider that you might have to confront two or more bad guys who have bad intentions.

I have a Model 60. I consider the .38 Special as absolute minimum for saving my life, and at that, it's a neck and up gun. The problem is bad guys don't stand still while they're shooting at good guys. And good guys ought not stand still so as to give bad guys stationary targets. If I had it to do again, I would not have bought my Model 60. 5 rounds of what I consider a minimum self-defense cartridge and too long to put five more in ain't my idea of a gun that I'd want to rely upon to save my life.

My preferred gun, when I do carry one, which is extremely rare, is a P-229 with 13 180 grain LE rounds. I'd prefer a Model 1911A1 in .45ACP, but there is tactical advantage to not having to reload while bad guys are shooting at good guys.

BTW, it ain't hard to conceal a P-229. And it ain't that hard to conceal a full-size 1911A1.

Keep in mind that the gun you choose might be the one that allows you to remain above ground. If you think a pocket pistol is up to that task, then I wish you luck with your choice.

^^^^

This guy gets dumber by the fuggin' minute.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Raeford,

^^^^

Travis

'flave,

Please don't quote SanSouci/Raisuli/laguna/etc. He's been a liar and a fraud since his first incarnation here and that has not and will not change.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Must be my phone.

When I quote him, it looks like this.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

'flave,

Please don't quote SanSouci/Raisuli/laguna/etc. He's been a liar and a fraud since his first incarnation here and that has not and will not change.

Sorry, guys. I'll have to fall on the sword as having resurrected this discussion and doing the original quoting while trying actually make a point. Didn't mean to drum up yet another trolling contest from anyone.

FWIW - I have to agree with 'flave on the LCR. Didn't want to like it but ...

Carry on

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think what this thread needs is some pics of me.

Travis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Time to remove this from the watch list ...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Raeford,

^^^^

Travis

the real question, in truth, is he even allowed legally to own firearms?

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Not likely.

Do any of you pocket carry people use this?

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...-clips/universal-clipdraw-prod24838.aspx

Travis

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The scandium J-frames are bad ass.

But the Ruger gets you there for less coin.

Travis

My dad and his wife have a pair of them in 38. Surprisingly manageable shooters with equally surprising triggers. Fine little carry revolvers. Dad had an airweight for years, and sold it when he got the LCR in 38.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Not likely.

Travis

I haven't used one, but notice they get really good reviews. Midway sells a revolver specific carry clip.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

My dad and his wife have a pair of them in 38. Surprisingly manageable shooters with equally surprising triggers. Fine little carry revolvers. Dad had an airweight for years, and sold it when he got the LCR in 38.

You can't beat 'em. Local shop has another in 22LR for $350 right now.

Travis

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Has some good write-up's might be worth a look.

SCCY Industries CPX-1-TT Double Action Only 9MM Satin Stainless Steel
SCCY Industries
# CPX-1-TT
MODEL: CPX-1-TT
TYPE: Pistol: Semi-Auto
SIGHTS: 3-Dot, Rear Sight Adjustable for Windage
CAL: 9MM
BARREL LGTH: 3.1"
FINISH: Satin Stainless Steel
ACTION: Double Action Only
WEIGHT: 15 oz
STOCK: Black Polymer W/ Absorbing Cushion On Backstrap
CAPACITY: 10+1
FEATURES:
MSRP: $334.00
# AVAIL: 99+

Living in the Land of Sunshine & No Basements
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian"
Semper Fi The Old Corps Era of the M-1 Garand�
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
They are selling for around $300.00 by me.

Living in the Land of Sunshine & No Basements
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian"
Semper Fi The Old Corps Era of the M-1 Garand�
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SCCY is schit. Do yourself the favor and put some additional coin with that $300 to get an airframe J-frame or an LCR; new or used.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not likely.

Travis

T Lee uses one of those I think, but for belt carry.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Deflave, the last one I picked up in 22 had a different DA mechanism and a long, heavy pull compared to the 38. Did they fix that? I was not impressed with the trigger, where I have been very impressed with the 38's trigger.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Deflave, the last one I picked up in 22 had a different DA mechanism and a long, heavy pull compared to the 38. Did they fix that? I was not impressed with the trigger, where I have been very impressed with the 38's trigger.

Mine has no such problem.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the clip draws are pretty good lil gadgets ime

but the ones for the j-frames I've noticed trouble with the cylinder working it's way out of the waist band, not so much with autos, even larger autos

they also preclude the use of CT laser grips, as the clip is right in the way of the laser

pants pocket carry is ok I spose, but it's just never made much sense to me, you're still going to have to draw it to use it.

so might as well be IWB or clipdraw holster to my way of thinking, easier to clear it from that position than the pocket.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by velcro
Has some good write-up's might be worth a look.

SCCY Industries CPX-1-TT Double Action Only 9MM Satin Stainless Steel
SCCY Industries
# CPX-1-TT
MODEL: CPX-1-TT
TYPE: Pistol: Semi-Auto
SIGHTS: 3-Dot, Rear Sight Adjustable for Windage
CAL: 9MM
BARREL LGTH: 3.1"
FINISH: Satin Stainless Steel
ACTION: Double Action Only
WEIGHT: 15 oz
STOCK: Black Polymer W/ Absorbing Cushion On Backstrap
CAPACITY: 10+1
FEATURES:
MSRP: $334.00
# AVAIL: 99+

Plus one! SCCY Love mine.

Your Every Liberal vote promotes Socialism and is an
attack on the Second Amendment. You will suffer the consequences.

GOA,Idaho2AIAlliance,AmericanFirearmsAssociation,IdahoTrappersAssociation,FoundationForWildlifeManagement ID and MT.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Living in liberal Northern Virginia I needed a CC handgun that was easily concealable. Also needed a small backup handgun working as a security officer. I chose the S&W Bodyguard in .380 as you did. The trigger is awful, but the little gun shoots well. Not my desired caliber, but hopefully will never have to use. When not at work I always have a .357 SP101 or a S&W 9MM in the truck. My wife carries a S&W Ladysmith in .38 Special, ported, action job, & night sights. Lots of choices & all beat fists & feet.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The Kel-Tec P3AT 380 fits nicely in the shirt pocket.

I have tried carrying a lot of different handguns, but the best I have found is a Kel-Tec P3AT 380 loaded with 6.2 gr Power Pistol 90 gr Gold Dot, chronographs at 1100 fps, with Kel-Tec pocket clip held with 4-40 acorn nut, DESANTIS M44BJG5Z0 holster, and ArmaLaser Kel-Tec P32/P3AT TR1 Laser.

The P3AT is 6 ounces, 10 ounces loaded.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
the lord help me, but went down with a relative tothe l.g.s. today, and the relative walked out with a ruger lcr in .357magnum. Not a bad little revolver for purpose intended.
does that mean i have to admit that deflave is right about things?

Last edited by RoninPhx; 09/14/14.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Ron,

No need to say aloud, what we already know.

Welcome aboard and please don't forget to tithe.

Travis

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've got two LCR's, a .38 and a .22, both with laser grips. Great little pocket guns

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Ron,

No need to say aloud, what we already know.

Welcome aboard and please don't forget to tithe.

Travis

well, choke, choke, i have to say it. I was looking at the S&W laying there next to the LCR. More money, more recoil in all respects, and the LCR really does have a good trigger pull. Particularly after it got some oil on it. I doubt the 357mag part will ever be used. But for the 23year old female, she liked it. Also fits in the purse well. Laid it on the table next to a 50's vintage flat latch, alloy smith 37, and they were about the same size/weight in feel. But it does have magnum capabilities. Would probably only be loaded that way during some hunting expeditions. Store owner had an interesting two questions for her, is this going to be used as a concealed self defense, or target shooter? He had it right. We were there to buy a self defense type device. Ruger has come a long way with this stuff. I should add that is the second lcr purchased because of me talking them up. A lady client bought one some time ago to carry while hiking, she is quite happy with it. So,
I bow down to DeFlave's comments, the tithing not so much. Well maybe a little.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 09/15/14.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yeah. When they came out I just rolled my eyes. I thought they'd last six months and be gone. But you just can't beat 'em and I am big fan of S&W.

If you haven't already, try the Fobus paddle holster they make for these things. One of the greatest in the field setups you could carry. You don't even know it is there and you can clip it to your belt, or your pack's hip belt.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, carrying a revolver pretty much eliminates the problem JPro had below, with his Kel-Tec. (I'm betting on a gummed up FP/striker with an already light FP spring)

No pocket mini-semiautos for me.

MM

Originally Posted by JPro
Decided to pop a few through the Kel-Tec P3AT last night, as I haven't shot it in a while. It did not go bang with W-W SXTs or R-P FMJs, which is all I had on hand.

[Linked Image]

I don't carry this handgun that much, as my usual carry is a DAO S&W 637, but in summer weather I do slip it in the pocket of my shorts sometimes in a Desantis pocket holster. Up until now, it has never given me a problem. Glad I found out this way, but it was rather disheartening to hear that pitiful little "click".

Perhaps a Ruger version is in my future.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S&W Bodyguard for Sunday Go to Meeting pocket carry.

[Linked Image]

With the S&W Bodyguard, Ruger LCP, Taurus 738 TCP a trigger job is a must. Of the three the Bodyguard is the only one that comes with a laser sight built in as standard equipmnet.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The antelope buck that was finished off with my Kel-Tec 380 in Oct 2013 got a click.

I opened the action and there as a cubic inch of pocket lint. I blew out a lot of it, and then it was used to kill the buck.

Now everyone asks me if I am packing lint.

The moral is, don't carry a gun for a year without checking it.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I am basically a smith whore. But it extends to other firearms of all kinds.
I looked at the lcr's when they first came out and kind of sniffed. But i have to say DeFlave is right about that trigger. It is a long takeup by intent, but it is smooth. Semiauto's are not for everybody, particularly if hand strength is an issue, concealibility and so on. Now I happen to pack around mostly a glock33 for which i have a 9mm, .357sig, and .40 after market kkm barrel. And it can use those extended mags. Would never work for the girl child or my wife simply cause of hand strength.
And i am pretty convinced that 38special+p's in the realm of some of the current bullets available, are much different than the ol lead round nose 38. And i don't really see the atvantage of a .357 in that size gun per se. I pulled out my ol model 19 two inch, and as much as i like those smiths, for a carry revolver that lcr is heads up a better choice.
There are few problem areas to contend with too. A session at the dinner table with the girl child covered the few things that could make a revolver act up, lint not being one of them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Smith whore?
The smallest I have found is a 642-2 38sp that is 15 ounces before the ammo.
Too heavy to carry.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When the wife got her CCW she went with Taurus Ultra lite which in my opinion is better than Ruger LCR in 38 Special. To me it is closer to an S&W "J" Frame than the Ruger LCR will ever be.

[Linked Image]

Along with the Taurus Ultra Light I also purchased the Taurus 22 as a training weapon to go along with the 38.

[Linked Image]

At the time we also bought an Ruger LCR 22 both the wife and I didn't like the trigger pull or the grips (to Short} so we stayed away from the LCR chambered for 38 Spl.

[Linked Image]

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Raeford, I am not convinced that you need to give up power and efficacy just to get a concealable weapon.
Using the DeSantis pocket holster, my XDS .45 auto disappears in the front pocket of my shorts or jeans.
I am not going with a mouse gun, when I can carry a real one. laugh
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Clarkm
[Linked Image]

Smith whore?
Too heavy to carry.

15 oz empty is too heavy to carry?

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Smith whore?
Too heavy to carry.

15 oz empty is too heavy to carry?

shocking.

Guess I need to get Dr. Who and the Tardis over here so I can changed the last 3 years or so.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A man has got to know his limitations.
How much weight in a concealed carry can you carry without it being an aggravation?

10 or 11 ounces loaded it the threshold for me.

Maybe Frankenstein can carry a brick in his pocket, but not me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A man has got to know his limitations.
How much weight in a concealed carry can you carry without it being an aggravation?

Maybe Frankenstein can carry a brick in his pocket, but not me.

It depends entirely upon how it's carried. I can and do carry a full-size 1911 (steel frame) or a BHP, but those are carried in a very good holster and IWB. For pocket carry, I routinely carry a .44 Special snub-nosed revolver and have carried a J-frame as well. A decent pocket holster makes a world of difference, but so too does the attire. In dress slacks, those don't work. In jeans or heavier weight khakis (Mountain Khakis are great) or Carhartts, or even decent cargo shorts, the revolvers are no problem at all.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
For pocket carry, I ...

... routinely clean the lint out of all my pockets.

It's amazing how few people do that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't say that I do that.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

You're welcome. wink

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
one should collect the lint, remember, if you get stranded it's good fire starter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's why I keep it in my pocket. wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Easy to say when your 10 Oz. 380 develops 500 foot pounds of energy. smile

Last edited by night_owl; 09/16/14.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You losers buy an LCR yet?

Travis

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's why I keep it in my pocket. wink

Go ahead and tell us about you keeping a hand full of Vaseline in the other pocket so you can make that lint burn better. wink

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by night_owl

Highly doubtful.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Highly doubtful.

Five hundred foot pounds was Just my hyperbole - though it could be true.
Maybe your best "pocket 9" is a hot loaded 380?

Last edited by night_owl; 09/17/14.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Highly doubtful.

Five hundred foot pounds was Just my hyperbole - though it could be true.
Maybe your best "pocket 9" is a hot loaded 380?

Gotcha. I doubt any of them will weigh 11 oz, though.

I could see a hot .357 snub-nose maybe making 500 ft.lbs, but WOW would that be a handful.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
380 Kel-tecs and Rugers are probably close to 11 oz. loaded.
Factory ammo 380 ammo making ~300 ft. lbs. is on the market.
For pocket carry it's the best there is.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
5-14-05 data: P3AT .380, 2.76" barrel, 90 gr. Speer Gold Dot bullet, 6.2 gr. Power Pistol, .970", [27kpsi QL] some cases get guppy belly bulge, mixed used brass, 1095, 1115, 1098, 1054, 1093 fps = 1091 average

1091 fps 90 gr = 238 foot pounds

6.2 gr Power Pistol is not finding the threshold a case bulets in a super light 380 and backing off 4%.
It is instead tolerating some case bulge. This is nothing I could let anyone else shoot if I don't know their case support.

Buffalo Bore claims 1100 fps for 380 90 gr +P from these short barrels, but I am told it chronos at 1050 fps.

I have tested a half dozen 380s and worked them up to failure.
I would put them in 3 categories:
1) Lightweight 380s; Ruger LCP and Kel-Tec P3AT, 71% more powder than max published due to feed ramp intrusion to .270", thin chamber walls, lightweight slide, and weak recoil springs.
2) Medium 380s; Kahr, Bryco, 119% extra powder
3) Heavyweight 380s; Colt 1903, Beretta 1934, 209% extra powder. 1187 fps with 158 gr [better than a 357 mag with that barrel length]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Clark, thanks for the detailed info - I stand corrected.

abusus non tollit usum
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
[Linked Image]

Smith whore?
Too heavy to carry.

I quite literally have never known a non handicapped man who considered an airweight J Frame Centennial .38 snubby "too heavy".

Not a slam.

Just very interesting perspective.

I carry one daily as a second handgun in my left front pocket and usually forget its even on my person, weight wise.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm not a handgun expert but have settled on a S&W J-frame, 3" 357 in a IWB holster carried in the small of my back. It's not a lightweight at 24 oz. I don't find it difficult to shoot well even with 357 loads though I usually carry trail side with 38 Specials. In SA it has a very good trigger.

Carrying concealed entails a bucket full of compromises. You just have to decide what you will and what you won't.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The Double Tap in either .45acp or 9mm is an option to consider. At one time I though I wanted one so I tried the .45 I shot three shots and that was enough, the web of my hand was sore for a week.
http://gunblog.com/new-doubletap-pistol
[Linked Image]

Last edited by RWL99; 09/22/14.

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by W7ACT

With the S&W Bodyguard, Ruger LCP, Taurus 738 TCP a trigger job is a must. Of the three the Bodyguard is the only one that comes with a laser sight built in as standard equipmnet.

I disagree about the Taurus TCP. Of any of the pocket 380s it has the best trigger I have felt and I can't see the reason in tinkering with it. Fairly light without being overly so, no stacking and super smooth. I also like the fact that it has the last round hold open and a real slide lock. These pocket 380s are really meant to be last ditch defense tools or "belly" guns so I feel that the need for good triggers on them are somewhat overrated. I still can't stand to shoot a gun with a long, stiff pull though so I went with the TCP for the reasons mentioned and the features. I keep it loaded with Fiocchi Extrema which uses a Hornady XTP bullet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDsPgyhI7To

Mannlicher mentioned the XDS in 45 and while I enjoy mine for IWB carry most of the time, there is no way I could fit it comfortably in jeans or normal shorts/pants pockets.

Last edited by UNCCGrad; 09/23/14.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mannlicher mentioned the XDS in 45 and while I enjoy mine for IWB carry most of the time, there is no way I could fit it comfortably in jeans or normal shorts/pants pockets.

My XDS would fit in my pocket but the ladies would all think I was happy to see them. grin

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 52 invisible), 3,158 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,335
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.