Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
By the sound of it we don't have to worry about the grizzlies going extinct up around Libby, MT. Sounds like they are all over the country up their according to the show.

[Linked Image]
they're not that thick. just thick enough.
by the way they are 12 feet from my sliding glass door.
yes a little pucker factor.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Marty wrote some really good articles in fur-fish and game years ago. "bonecrusher" made me want a 358 norma mag bad.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a good show. I've followed it since season 1.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tombo
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
I'm into the mountain man era. Those 3 guys aren't mountain men. They're just 3 clowns living in the mountains.

You would be dead by morning if you tried what Marty does out there. He can't help what they do with the film and narration. The other 2 are hardly in the wilderness and wilderness in Alaska is a completely different animal than in the lower 48.

Marty truly is the real deal and has been running his winter trapline for probably close to 20 years but his trapping has certainly suffered by having the film crews around. As you might have noticed, he doesn't actually catch or kill anything when they are there. It's not in the script !!! Just make believe melodrama.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Phil, is that your boy who was flying Marty's family out to stay at his trapper's cabin? I don't watch the show, but my wife watches anything that involves Alaska and I caught that part.

I do hope these guys are getting paid some decent money for this stuff, because for the most part they seem to be making them look like quite the fools.

Waiting to see Phil staring in a show real soon......seems like killing Brown Bears is the hot stuff for reality shows lately (Kodiak, The Hunt, etc.)

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I watched part of one episode last year. I felt my IQ going down so I changed the channel.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I watch the show for the scenery.. beautiful views. I will most likely never make it to northwest Montana, northern Maine, much less Alaska. I just try to look past the ridiculous scripting and melodrama.

I will say that Marty and Tom seem like a couple of fellers I'd like to meet and spend some time around. I think one could learn a lot from those two.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What is the true number of grizzlies in the lower 48?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yea, that is my son who does all the flying for Marty's show. Marty is an excellent pilot and recently got his Commercial and Flight Instructor's ratings so he can fly for the Alaska Smokejumpers when he finally can't pass the physical. He is one tough and competent guy, but the TV folks will not allow him to fly his own family during the show due to their high insurance liability clause.
He is certainly not getting rich from the show, it maybe pays about what he used to make trapping ( when they actually let him trap) but he still gets to be a real trapper for most of the winter and then fights fires all summer.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I Like Tom and Marty but don't care much for Eustice or the screaming cat hounder.

The new father and son in NM are not bad either. You can really tell the producers work overtime to create reality.

Phil,

There are two programs now that are based around hunting Kodiak, "The Hunt" and "Kodiak". Do you know any of these folks?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have never owned a TV, ( any surprise ? ) and the only time we see any show is when we happen to be visiting someone. I don't know who are on the Kodiak shows you mention but I know most of the guides and understand that Dick and Sam Roher have a show.
I also know a few of the others who have shows as Taj flies for some of them as well.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Phil - What you say about Marty adds up for sure. I always thought he was the real deal. Glad to hear you confirm it!

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 458Win
We have never owned a TV, ( any surprise ? ) and the only time we see any show is when we happen to be visiting someone. I don't know who are on the Kodiak shows you mention but I know most of the guides and understand that Dick and Sam Roher have a show.
I also know a few of the others who have shows as Taj flies for some of them as well.

No, No there isn't any surprise there.

The "Kodiak" Discovery channel is pretty hokie and features guides Bob May, Ernie Holland, and Bob Cusack.

"The Hunt" History channel which isn't too bad features guides Mike Horstman, Mike Carlson, Frank Sanders, and Sam Rohrer

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by TXpitdog
Anybody seen the preview or first episode? The guy in Montana uses a Ruger No. 1, though I don't yet know the caliber.

It's a Browning 1885. Rugers don't have a hammer.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mike Horstman LOOKS like the real deal.

Molan Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have only met Mike a couple of times but he is a close friend of my son's and he too is the real deal.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I like the show, though there are folks I could certainly do without. Eustace is one. The guy that's a trapper but fell off his snow machine is another. I like Marty and the old guy in Montana, seems like a pretty nice guy, and must be pretty talented with his leather and bow making. The guy that chases mtn lions but doesn't want to shoot them seems weird but it could be strict seasons for all I know. Having lived in NM years and years ago, I found the native guy and his grandson interesting as well. Obviously the stuff isn't real and I think it could be a better show if they stuck to real stuff but the guy from Outdoor life that went out to visit Marty was pretty impressed with his abilities for sure. Have no doubt he's the real McCoy.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I watch the Tom and Marty parts of the show only. What did it for me was that Rich cougar boy. As he's packing up his horses he states it takes 7 hrs on horse to reach his very remote cabin.

Then he states it takes 3 days to walk in. A minute later it shows him walking down a hill from his so called very remote cabin to a road to confront a guy in a white Dodge diesel.

Anyone else catch that one?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
This plus 10 Mountain Men they ain't. Old Gabe would have a good laugh.
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
I'm into the mountain man era. Those 3 guys aren't mountain men. They're just 3 clowns living in the mountains.

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ellie!!!

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (Akhutr, Berksbowman, batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, 14 invisible), 1,534 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,208
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.