-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I need to get a shorter front sight for my M97 and am thinking of trying the fiber optic sight. I've never used them but am thinking it might help with aging eyes. Has anyone used the FA fiber optic front with the premier grade rear sight?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have zero use for fiber optic sights as they are near impossible to hit precisely with, which is what a FA's is designed to do. I would give Dave Clements a call and have him make you one that is .010" wide thus allowing more light on either side of the blade. This has helped my aging eyes a bunch.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I agree with EdM fiber optic sights are not conducive to precise shot placement.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I own a 97 and 83 both in .41 Magnum and a 5.5" 97 in .22 Long Rifle. The 83 came with the standard ramp front and notch rear. The 97 came with the Express V rear and FO front. The .22 also came with the standard notch rear and ramp front.

I have 62 year old eyes that are still fairly sharp. I don't wear glasses except for some reading of fine print. Personal observations...

The front ramps on the FA are way to angled and turn gray instead of staying nice and black. As Ed suggested I had David Clements make one of his long range front sights that is just slightly narrower than the stock sight and has two holdover bars. It gives a much clearer sight picture and works great at long range. For an in the woods dark condition hunting sight however it is no better than the stock ramp.

Last season on a dark rainy afternoon just after sunset I missed a deer at about 40 yards because I held just a little too high because I could not get a clean sight picture of the top on the front sight in relation to the rear. For hunting in those conditions I will be using a FO from now on.

The FO and V combination on the 4.25" 97 has been changed out several times. The first thing to go was the V and in its place a standard notch. the the FO was changed out to a FA brass bead. That worked pretty well. Right now a ramp is on board that has been painted yellow. It also is working fairly well but the sight needs to be narrowed.

The .22s ramp has been replaced with a brass bead and has been shooting tighter groups than with the ramp.

FA replacement front sights are reasonably priced and easy to switch out...try some different sets and see what works best for you. I know for deer hunting in the woods it is going to be FO front for me...

Bob

97 rear V

[Linked Image]

97 front FO

[Linked Image]

Clements Custom Long Range front...

[Linked Image]

Clements Custom on a USFA Shooting Master .41 Special...

[Linked Image]

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm not sure what you consider precise shot placement, but I'm pretty sure I don't do that anyway. I've never shot groups on paper with my FA and couldn't tell you how accurate it is. In fact, that would apply to most of my handguns. I have a 8 inch gong that I shoot at as far back as I can see it. After that I switch to a 12 inch gong. I either hit it or I don't. Any more precise than that doesn't matter. When it comes to hunting, hit or miss is what counts.

I doubt I'd do too well on paper anyway. I have had central serous retinopathy in my dominate eye that has left a slight distortion in my central vision. Straight edges look curved. It's usually not a problem with sights as the target is curved as well. I will probably get the fiber optic front and try it out. If I don't like it I'll go back to the standard front.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

In my experience hitting is not as good with fiber optics front sights on a handgun.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to hate FO's... when my eye's were better. Now they or something to make the front and rear stand out in a dusky environment are a requirement for me, shooting paper with black bulls in good light less so. I usually use a white outline with a FO front. You might also call Dawson Precision and see if they have anything that will work. EDM's advice for a narrower front sight is a good one, even with a fiber optic front. Can not speak for the Freedom Arms FO's and have never worked with the 'V' rear blade.

Jerry

Shot with TruGlo tritium fiber optic sights;[Linked Image]

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 06/17/14.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
I need to get a shorter front sight for my M97 and am thinking of trying the fiber optic sight. I've never used them but am thinking it might help with aging eyes. Has anyone used the FA fiber optic front with the premier grade rear sight?
I had my FA M97 built with the FO front sight and wouldn't ever go back.

At nearly 66 years of age, I need all the help I can get - sight-wise.. smile

Have you called FA and asked about having it done on yours?

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I mounted a J P Enterprises Red Dot sight on my FA Premier grade .454 Casull. Had to order a sight base from FA. I really like this sight- easy to pick up in any light, very light weight, and works with my aging eyes! Have it sighted in to hit at 100 yds, and would not hesitate to take any game up to that range.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
FA is sending me their FO sight with all three colors. I had no idea which color to get, so they said they'd send all three so I could try them out. If it works, great. If not, all it really cost me were a few bullets to try it out.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
FA is sending me their FO sight with all three colors. I had no idea which color to get, so they said they'd send all three so I could try them out. If it works, great. If not, all it really cost me were a few bullets to try it out.
Well, that's pretty sweet.. Kudos on FA..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
I have zero use for fiber optic sights as they are near impossible to hit precisely with, which is what a FA's is designed to do. I would give Dave Clements a call and have him make you one that is .010" wide thus allowing more light on either side of the blade. This has helped my aging eyes a bunch.

+1 here. I will send you, free of charge, the fiberoptic sights off of my last 2 Smith and Wesson 329PD's. Fiberoptic sights are one of the worst abominations to ever occur on otherwise good guns. I could maybe see a use for them on a short barreled micro pistol, but that is about all.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
To each their own, but I cant put fiber on anything revolver, lever, double rifle or plastic tipped bullets in old rifles, I'm retarded that way.

Gunner

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by EdM

+1000

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

596 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 62 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,279
Posts18,448,505
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.