Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have three tang safety R77s in 270, 7x57, 284 , an RL77 in 308 and a #1 in 7x57. No flys on any of them. They are all "go to" guns, which still leaves me with decisions to make when I head out.
I would like the 270 to be buried with me for my last trip.
In rifles, I don't have any Remmys or Brownings and only one Winney.
Tim

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 06/19/14.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm not saying all tang safety models had bad barrels.

A friend of mine has two tangers in 270 Win., and he's hunted with them all over for a long time. They're named Betsy and Mabel. grin

He's had the triggers tuned and the stocks full length bedded, neutral pressure IIRC. He's got them identically scoped, and they're both zeroed to the same load. He can pick up either one and put three shots very close to touching, and landing right where they're supposed to every time.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
BIL has a tang .270 that I recommended to him (used) in the late 70s. I checked the bedding and trigger and put a 4X Weaver on it that I had recently had reconditioned by Mr. Ruiz. It shot right about an inch with some necked down .30-06 brass loaded fairly hot with a forgotten 140. He doesn't do crazy long shots, but I never saw him miss a mule deer or coyote.

It is a plenty good hunting gun, perhaps a few ounces heavier than some others.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Kitch
Well, from what I've read here and elsewhere I'm going to chalk this one up. I thought I'd add a second 7x57 to my M70 but may look elsewhere.

I've got one tang model left and its a 7 Mag. No flys on it at all. I've never had a M77 I couldn't get to shoot and I've had several. If I was in the market for another 7x57 I'd have no qualms about a M77.

Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I would like the 270 to be buried with me for my last trip.

For God's sake don't let ingwe see this!

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MagMarc - Besides later MKII's and Hawkeyes I have one circa '72 tanger M77. It's a .22/250 sporter w/ 22" pencil barrel bought for its classic looks in an era of "California" style rifles. For the first 2-3 shots it'll group them in 1-1.5" depending on how much coffee I had that morning. After that it heats up and starts stringing. NO, not a 'varmint' gun BUT what it does to rotten watermelons (a 'show/tell' lesson to my wide-eyed son about power) is simply amazing. Have no clue who made the barrel but its blued finish is beautiful, walnut just so, so and it carries like a dream. Homesteader

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I still own several and at least one of each. M77 tanger, M77 Mark II, and hawkeyes. All shoot .5-1.5" with factory ammo consistently. (I've been gathering reloading supplies slowly for a couple years) Only mods are trigger jobs/tuning especially on the mark II's. Tough dependable guns and the only bolt actions in my safe except the wife's 243 model 7.

Buy it, shoot it...

The .270 is the greatest hunting catridge ever designed. To dispute this fact is to only justify our loonieism in owning and hunting with inferior cartridges.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Coming late to the discussion -

I had a heavy barrel varmint model .25-06 tang safety Model 77 purchased around 1979 or 80 and it wouldn't shoot under two inches to save my life. This with the heavy weight barrel in a chambering I have seen to be very accurate in my other .25-06's.

Jump to the present day - In 2012 I bought three stainless Hawkeyes over the course of a few months - another .25-06, a .308 and a .223. The .223 is actually the least accurate of the three but it still shoots well; I couldn't wish for better accuracy from the .25-06 or .308.

As noted above - crap shoot. You pays yer money and you takes yer chances.

I'd pick up a new Hawkeye in a heartbeat but wouldn't gamble on a tang safety unless the accuracy was a proven quantity.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
According to the specs I read, this one is from 1980 and is a 7x57.
............I own two Rugers. One purchased new in '07 (Frontier) and the other new in '08 (375 Ruger Alaskan). Although I had the Frontier bedded and floated, there were no accuracy issues beforehand. The work done just made it better. No accuracy problems with the Alaskan and no additional work was needed.

As someone mentioned earlier and I will agree, it will be an accuracy gamble or crapshoot considering the rifle you are looking at is from 1980. It could shoot very well and on the flip side it can do the reverse and drive you nuts.

It does not matter how everyone else's newer or older Ruger shoots whether good, bad or in-between. Only the rifle you are considering is what matters.

If I were you and only if I knew the owner well, would I consider that 1980 rifle. Imo and even though you will pay more, I'd look for a newer Ruger.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Well, from what I've read here and elsewhere I'm going to chalk this one up. I thought I'd add a second 7x57 to my M70 but may look elsewhere.

What's the matter with the one you have?

Oh, you 'want' another 7x57! grin

If you're looking for recent production, another Featherweight wouldn't hurt. Or take a look at Montana Rife Company. I took mine out the other evening and it'll shoot. Or pick up the Ruger, tinker with it, and have it rebarrelled if it doesn't shoot the way you want it to. Even in 7x57 you still have options. The barrel makers will make sure of that. I've been thinking god having a 1:8 .260 screwed onto a Featherweight. Why? Just because.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If you pass you may well be missing an opportunity to get a great rifle.

My safe is full of Ruger M77 and MKII rifles - most purchased used � and there is not a bad one in the bunch. None have had anything done to them except float the barrel and tune the triggers, both of which are fairly easy tasks. Worst case, if you are not comfortable working on a trigger, there are aftermarket triggers available.

As to accuracy:

1982 Ruger M77, 7mm RM
Shot in 40+mph crosswinds, gusts to 60mph, 100 yards.
[Linked Image]

1984 Ruger M77, .30-06
2-shot scope check @ 100
[Linked Image]

1989 Ruger M77, .257 Roberts
3 shots @ 100 yards � the photo says it all.
[Linked Image]

2003 Ruger MKII, .300WM
1st shot was from a clean/oiled bore. 100 yards.
[Linked Image]

1994 Ruger MKII action, Ruger factory barrel (Thank you, Bear Paw Jack!)
3 shots @ 100 yards.
[Linked Image]

What you get with a Ruger M77 or MKII is a very rugged, reliable rifle. The triggers clean up easily or can be replaced. (I�ve net needed to replace any.) Float the barrel and tighten the screws properly and you should be good to go.

As to barrels, Ruger got a bad reputation when they were using barrels manufactured outside. (1970�s ?) Ruger long ago switched to in-house manufacture using hammer-forged barrels. See targets above�

The bolt and handle are one piece, no need to worry if the handle will come off as it can with a brazed-on handle. The scope mounting system is one of the strongest available � no itty-bitty mounting screws to break. (A mule and a log conspired to break two of my ribs after I landed on my M77. It still shot fine.) Finally, Ruger has great service. I purchased a used Blackhawk .357 Mag and had it sent in for repairs (bent basepin replacement). No charge for the repair or return shipping. More recently I purchased a new MKII in .300WM. There were handling marks in the bluing and minor scratches in the wood because it was a display rifle at Dick�s. Ruger reblued the barrel and, to my surprise and without being asked, replaced the stock with their �African� stock (a definite upgrade). Again, no charge for the repairs/upgrade or return shipping.

I fully expect that my Ruger rifles will outlast me by many years. My 7mm RM, manufactured in 1982, shot a 3-shot .262� group with North Fork bullets back in the 2002-2003 time frame. Not bad for a rifle that had been my only big game bolt rifle for 20 years and had gone elk and deer hunting all but one or two of those years.

Any time I find a good used Ruger at a good price I have a really hard time walking away.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 06/20/14. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
very nice Coyote Hunter! i enjoy going to the range and shooting groups like yours, especially after other shooters there tell me that you cant achieve accuracy from a Ruger 77, and now the American. i wish i had a dollar for everytime someone said "is that a Ruger"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Coming late to the discussion -

I had a heavy barrel varmint model .25-06 tang safety Model 77 purchased around 1979 or 80 and it wouldn't shoot under two inches to save my life. This with the heavy weight barrel in a chambering I have seen to be very accurate in my other .25-06's.

Jump to the present day - In 2012 I bought three stainless Hawkeyes over the course of a few months - another .25-06, a .308 and a .223. The .223 is actually the least accurate of the three but it still shoots well; I couldn't wish for better accuracy from the .25-06 or .308.

As noted above - crap shoot. You pays yer money and you takes yer chances.

I'd pick up a new Hawkeye in a heartbeat but wouldn't gamble on a tang safety unless the accuracy was a proven quantity.

This has been my experience as well. I bought my first Ruger in 1982 - tang safety 280 Rem. Still have it but its semi-retired. Its had a bazzillion shots through it. It needs re-barreled but will still hold 1.5" group. I had a 7 RM match to it till about 4-5 years ago. Both shot well.

I've had a 308 UL and a 7x57. Both struggled to keep 1.5" groups and 2" was more the norm. Sold both after shooting $500 worth of components in each.

In the past 2 years have bought 4 new Hawkeyes - 243, 30-06 UL, 35 wh, 375 R. All shoot very good and are capable of 1" groups or better with my handloads. I really like the new Hawkeyes. I have 2 complaints about Rugers. First is their weight - they are not ultralight rifles. The new Hawkeyes typically weigh right at 8 lbs with a Leupie of some flavor affixed. My UL weighs 7.5 but has a 20" pencil barrel and a 2.5-8 Leupie. My other complaint is the 3 position safety. I like the 3 positions but it isn't the most user friendly safety ever created - that distinction belongs to the M70.

I like CRF actions and my safe is full of M77's and M70's. All told the new Hawkeyes are tough to beat. Some of the tang safety Rugers can be a challenge.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One other thing of note about tang safety Rugers in 7x57 - I physically couldn't seat some bullets out far enough to reach the lands and grooves. They have very long leads, likely to accommodate someone shooting 175 gr aluminum bullets or some such nonsense. I've seen this twice.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

If you pass you may well be missing an opportunity to get a great rifle.

My safe is full of Ruger M77 and MKII rifles - most purchased used � and there is not a bad one in the bunch. None have had anything done to them except float the barrel and tune the triggers, both of which are fairly easy tasks. Worst case, if you are not comfortable working on a trigger, there are aftermarket triggers available.

As to accuracy:

1982 Ruger M77, 7mm RM
Shot in 40+mph crosswinds, gusts to 60mph, 100 yards.
[Linked Image]

1984 Ruger M77, .30-06
2-shot scope check @ 100
[Linked Image]

1989 Ruger M77, .257 Roberts
3 shots @ 100 yards � the photo says it all.
[Linked Image]

2003 Ruger MKII, .300WM
1st shot was from a clean/oiled bore. 100 yards.
[Linked Image]

1994 Ruger MKII action, Ruger factory barrel (Thank you, Bear Paw Jack!)
3 shots @ 100 yards.
[Linked Image]

What you get with a Ruger M77 or MKII is a very rugged, reliable rifle. The triggers clean up easily or can be replaced. (I�ve net needed to replace any.) Float the barrel and tighten the screws properly and you should be good to go.

As to barrels, Ruger got a bad reputation when they were using barrels manufactured outside. (1970�s ?) Ruger long ago switched to in-house manufacture using hammer-forged barrels. See targets above�

The bolt and handle are one piece, no need to worry if the handle will come off as it can with a brazed-on handle. The scope mounting system is one of the strongest available � no itty-bitty mounting screws to break. (A mule and a log conspired to break two of my ribs after I landed on my M77. It still shot fine.) Finally, Ruger has great service. I purchased a used Blackhawk .357 Mag and had it sent in for repairs (bent basepin replacement). No charge for the repair or return shipping. More recently I purchased a new MKII in .300WM. There were handling marks in the bluing and minor scratches in the wood because it was a display rifle at Dick�s. Ruger reblued the barrel and, to my surprise and without being asked, replaced the stock with their �African� stock (a definite upgrade). Again, no charge for the repairs/upgrade or return shipping.

I fully expect that my Ruger rifles will outlast me by many years. My 7mm RM, manufactured in 1982, shot a 3-shot .262� group with North Fork bullets back in the 2002-2003 time frame. Not bad for a rifle that had been my only big game bolt rifle for 20 years and had gone elk and deer hunting all but one or two of those years.

Any time I find a good used Ruger at a good price I have a really hard time walking away.

You expect us to believe the Ruger 77's shoot like that?? whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My four tangers are bedded in the lug area with a couple inches of bedding up the barrel. They print the first shot right with the second and third whether cold, clean or dirty. It might just be my good luck, but I sure like it.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
One other thing of note about tang safety Rugers in 7x57 - I physically couldn't seat some bullets out far enough to reach the lands and grooves. They have very long leads, likely to accommodate someone shooting 175 gr aluminum bullets or some such nonsense. I've seen this twice.

That was one of my concerns as I'd read it before. Apparently, at least at one point in time, manufacturers, including Ruger, set their 7x57's up for that bullet weight, for reasons that escape me. It may have been the only bullet available long ago but they should know not everyone cottons to a long heavy bullet. My main bullet would be the 140 and 160 gr.

You don't want to seat a bullet so far out that not even the caliber dimension (.284") is in the case.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That was one of my concerns as I'd read it before. Apparently, at least at one point in time, manufacturers, including Ruger, set their 7x57's up for that bullet weight, for reasons that escape me.
Because until 1981 the 175-grain RN was the primary and often only factory load offered in the 7x57mm. When Winchester offered the Model 70 Featherweight XTR and Remington offered the Model 700 Classic, both in 7x57mm that year, all of a sudden 140-grain factory loads became "the thing" and 175-grain RN loads went out with rotary phones.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Elderly friend bought a laminated SS model in 6.5 Creedmore. He sent the rifle to the gunsmith to have him put on a muzzle break.

Threads stripped when the gunsmith tried to remove the barrel. Reason that threads stripped...barrel was started into the action crooked.

The entire package was sent back to Ruger, they said they would not warranty the gun due to the fact that the gunsmith removed the barrel...tough titty...$700 shot to Hell! They did offer him the same rifle in a blued version for $500....mitty WHITE of them don't you think???

I say, thank your lucky stars if you have a good Ruger, from now on, buy any other another brand on the market!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'll be happy to continue buying Rugers. I've had too many good ones to consider it luck.

Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 32 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,430
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.