Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#8964314 06/21/14
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Got teeth floated for two of the horses today. They should be grinding like organ monkeys! smile

Anyone else?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I had these two new mules of mine done this spring also. Amazing how many horse/mule owners never have it down.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I never had my 19 year old grey gelding done. Owned him 12 years , never needed it. Other horses I owned for any length of time I had their teeth floated.

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Pat-
how did you determine that the gelding didn't need teeth floated? All horse need their teeth floated as the teeth continue to grow throughout their lifetime, but I'm sure you know this.

They don't need floating as often as they get older though.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
When I start colts I have wolf teeth pulled if present and any sharp edges smoothed. After that it's check annually. Past few years I've been selling them before they need done again.

A couple signs I go by is spilling feed and or the bit bothering them.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
It is not so much the growth , but older horses might need the fronts filed down besides the molars. If you ever look at a horse's jaw and teeth, the molar wear is always sloped from the outside (the cheek side) to downwards on the tongue side. The horse chews, moving his lower jaw sideways eventually causing the outer edge( cheek side) to develop points on the molars that interfere with chewing and can cause cuts in the cheek.

Floating refers to filing those points down that not only stops cuts to the cheek, but aids in the side to side chewing.

Unless you have one of those contraptions that locks a horse's mouth open, the only way you can effectively check a horse's molars for those points is to reach in and grab the tongue, pull it out and to the side of the mouth. Then you can safely stick a few fingers to the back of the horse's mouth while you are holding the tongue and feel for those points

Regular dental care of floating every 2-3 years helps the horse chew better so that they are more thrifty with their food.

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/22/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I did all of mine but one last fall I have a young gelding that needs his done pretty near every fall my old Morgan mare usually needs doing every 3-4 years I check them every fall after hunting season just before I kick them out for the winter.

BORN to HUNT
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ironbender
Pat-
how did you determine that the gelding didn't need teeth floated? All horse need their teeth floated as the teeth continue to grow throughout their lifetime, but I'm sure you know this.

They don't need floating as often as they get older though.

My vet floats them, when I would get him to do other horses he would check the the 19 year old and said he didn't need it done so I never had him done. He eats fine, slide your arm up his mouth and no sharp edges. His wolfs teeth might need some filing, the bit gets hung up sometimes when you take off the bridal.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
5 horses done and a root canal for the wife. Dental sticker shock this month

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
"Pat85 His wolfs teeth might need some filing, the bit gets hung up sometimes when you take off the bridal."

Probably his upper canines vs wolf teeth. Wolf teeth tend to get sensitive when hit with the bit.

Going rate here to float one horse is $143.

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/28/14.

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by ironbender
Got teeth floated for two of the horses today. They should be grinding like organ monkeys! smile

Anyone else?

I have an equine dentists check mine every 6 months.

Last edited by jwp475; 06/28/14.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by saddlesore
"Pat85 His wolfs teeth might need some filing, the bit gets hung up sometimes when you take off the bridal."

Probably his upper canines vs wolf teeth. Wolf teeth tend to get sensitive when hit with the bit.

Going rate here to float one horse is $143.

Here its over $200. Back in the day it was a farriers job to float teeth. When I did my 2 yr apprenticeship with my Gramps who was an Irish trained Master Farrier. He taught me to float as part of my training. With our string the CFO(wife lol) is most glad he did.

BORN to HUNT
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dan_H
5 horses done and a root canal for the wife. Dental sticker shock this month

Lisa do the horses Dan?

Sorry to hear about the wife.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yes we used lisa.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Lisa Barnes? She is a good one.Horses/Mules have four quadrents of teeth all possesing 11 numbered teeth. 1-3 are incisors 4 is the canine 5 the wolf tooth, 6-8 the premolars, 9-11 the molars. Horses chew down out up and in, only one side of the cheek teeth(Molars,premolars) will engage at a time. The actual grinding occurs as the jaw moves from outword towards center. The sharp points on the sides are indications of poor occlusion(The front teeth, incisors) are too long. Too long of incisore seperate the jaw from the skull (The incisors are in contact in a horse not like ours where the lowers set inside the uppers) this jaw seperation causes hypereruption of the cheek teeth in the oral cavity and in essence too much tooth in the mouth. The points are sharp because they are not being used to grind.The points are the left over cingula or grooves and undulations on the side of the teeth, I believe they provide more surface area for the periodontal ligament to attach the tooth below the gum to the alveolus.(Socket in the skull) These points can be self perpetuating because as the jaw drops to chew the opposite side of teeth will engage the cheek and cause pain preventing the horse fom full excurding its grinding stroke. Less of the cheek teeth table is used to chew and more of a sharp edged with the points are formed. A properly balanced saddle horse or mule should have very few sharp points, full caudal rostral movement of the mandible (Jaw) as the head is lowered or raised.(This will prevent TMJ pain that is often exhibited with head shaking or rooting the reins when ridden) Similar clinical crown height and angle of cheek teeth, a incisor angle of about 5 to 12 degrees, and nicely dressed bit seats on the # 6 premolars. I also prefer to have the corner incisors reduced out of occlusion at the corners. Young equidaes will need more frequent dental work (They will be shedding cheek teeth until 3.5 yrs and incisors until 4.5) as will timed event performance animals. The most peskiest thing to balance in my opinion is lower 8 waves. But protuberant upper 10,s and lower 11 ramps are the most common malady, except for loss of molar occlusion by overlong too steep incisors. There are exceptional equines, but most require a minimum of yearly dental visits are required to obtain the level of equine dental balance I am speaking of.

Last edited by Angus1895; 07/19/14.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Yup. That Lisa.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
We have ours done every year.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I have my mules done about every two years.

My neighbor has two old mules. One is about 35 years old the other will never see 40 again. I bet no one has ever looked in those mules mouth and they are in darn good shape considering their age.

A lot of what us humans do that we think makes the equine feel or do better probably makes us feel al lot better than the equine.

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
We have ours checked/floated every year.

The decision to float or wait until next year, we leave to the dentist.

I've done some floating in the past, but a dentist in a different and better approach.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Two phrases I enjoy over this subject:

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results.

You can lead a human to wisdom.......but you can't make em think.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.