Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I and many others fall into the "who cares" camp. The chitier the used car the harder the sell.

The Grendel case has enough azz for a 243 projectile, and no more. Its a bridge too far, IMO. I would like to see the HAGAR catch on, but it very well may not.

ARIC

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd meet you on the 600 yard line with a grendel and you a hagar any day.

I doubt there would be any major difference in the results.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
This posting that you have provided is a great help to me and I want to thank you. I was really truly starting to research the Grendel and then have one built and you have saved me from a huge mistake.

Who knows? If the new light weight DPMS catches on over the course of the next year DPMS might offer a model chambered for the 260.

Having several throat options is normal for popular calibers. Think 5.56, 223 REM and 223 Wylde. The 308 has 5 throat variants I've found that all shoot 308 Win and are labeled 308 Win. Most shooters don't know the difference. They buy a box of ammo and shoot it. They don't know what throat the rifle has. Its really not that confusing really. The Grendel II shoots factory Grendel Ammo but has a .120in throat and has the same size neck .300. With factory ammo it fixes the occasional but problematic issue of factory ammo getting stuck and allows the hand loader to get better velocities. If you get a Grendel II or 264 LBC barrel you'll be fine. You can get a Grendel II from

Underground Tactical
Midwayusa
Brownells (they recently chaged to the Grendel II)
Maxim Firearms
Satern barrels

You can get a 264 LBC from Black Hole Weaponary or Les Baers. Precision Arms has kept the compound throat but lengthened it to avoid the stuck bullet issue so far as i know they are "stuck bullet syndrome" free. Lilja has a reamer for the Grendel that has a .120in throat and a .296 neck but you have to ask for it otherwise you'll get a much shorter compound throat. They initially went with there own custom throat but they got some pressure from the 65Grendel.com cult and backed down and started using the shorter compound throat. I would recommend using there original custom throat that is very very close to the 264 LBC and Grendel II.

The Grendel case has enough azz for a 243 projectile, and no more. Its a bridge too far, IMO.

My handload with the 120gr Gr Nosler BT i developed last weekend is 110fps shy of 260 Remington velocities for the same barrel length and bullet. Most AR-10 260 Remington's are a 18 or 20in which means that a Grendel II in a 22 or 24in barrel can get the same performance. Thats pretty good and much cheaper than building a full AR-10. A factory 120gr Nosler BT out of a 24in barrel is going at 2890fps. Sure there are faster loads with the same bullet and with hand loads you get get much better just trying to make the point that a Grendel II can get closer than you may think to those 260 Remington velocities. My reload i worked up last Saturday out of a 24in barrel for 120gr Nosler BT is going 2780fps. You can't get 2780fps from a SAAMI Grendel without compressing the powder and spiking pressures but with the Grendel II you can load longer and get naturally higher velocities.

Last edited by SoCalPigHunter; 06/19/14.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Do you still have to pay a royalty to Bill in order to sell it? A 62 grain TSX or 75 grain Swift S2 does all I want to do with that platform.

Last edited by jimmyp; 06/20/14.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Those that think grendel IE 6.5 ppc has no place are only hunters, and not competitors.

The 6.5 does very well on the target range. And in hunting though there in hunting you have varying opinions about whats required for what.

but for most barrels I wouldn't buy factory anyway, as I want to spec my chamber, twist, gas port size etc...

BTW compressing powder doesn't mean spikes in pressure, pressure spikes can come from many things but simply compressing powder is not the cause.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Good post! I am picking up my DPMS Gen II hunter this Friday. If it don't rain I will have a brief report on Monday.

jimmy p, dude we are anxious for a full report on that, that is the gun I want.

DPMS 10 rounds, 3.5-10 x 50, Lt-104. Out of the box much nicer trigger, I like the stock, did not think I would like it..

[Linked Image]

MP10 20 rounds

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jimmyp; 06/20/14.

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Do you still have to pay a royalty to Bill in order to sell it? A 62 grain TSX or 75 grain Swift S2 does all I want to do with that platform.

No Alexander Arms has nothing to do with the Grendel II other than being one of the team members that initially designing it. They don't sell them or have any licencing or copyrights on the design. If you want to sell it just order a bunch from Satern and sell them. I'm waiting on a 45 barrel group buy we did several months back for 20 and 22in fully fluted and teflon coated Grendel II barrels.

I'll be heading out very early AM before church this Sunday to the desert to get a couple hours load testing. The temp should be in the low 80's before 9am. I hoping to get to the spot by 0630 and be headed back by 830 to make second service. I'll post up my results on the Grendel II reloading project thread on www.msrhunt.com and link to it here. The plan is to try and find an accuracy node with LEVER and 123gr SST. I'll be be looking around 31.2 to 31.8gr of LEVER in .1gr increments. I'm going to try a 2.271in COAL. Then more testing Nosler 120gr with the 31.6gr load. I'm going to shoot a 5 shot string at 2.29in and another at 2.28in. I'm getting low on those. I'll also be searching for an accuracy node for Hornady 129gr SP Interlock in the 30 to 30.6gr range with a COAL of 2.25in. I also would like to try the 130gr scirocco and 140gr Nosler Partition. We'll see if i have enough time and i'll need to do a latter test becasue i have no idea where a accuracy node should be and what the high load is.

Last edited by SoCalPigHunter; 06/20/14.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Good post! I am picking up my DPMS Gen II hunter this Friday. If it don't rain I will have a brief report on Monday.

jimmy p, dude we are anxious for a full report on that, that is the gun I want.

DPMS 10 rounds, 3.5-10 x 50, Lt-104. Out of the box much nicer trigger, I like the stock, did not think I would like it..

[Linked Image]

MP10 20 rounds

[Linked Image]

COOL!

Show us a picture of those set screws that hold in the feed ramps...

If you don't mind saying... how much$$$$???

How long is the barrel on the hunter?

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Just got back from a 2 hour round trip to the desert. At 0600 perfect temp of 78 but to windy. The targets wouldn't even stay taped to the plywood. I called it and we headed home. Didn't even fire a shot.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
665 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,755 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.