Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I sold my last airgun, a Beeman R1, more than a few years ago. I have been thinking more and more lately about getting another, and like the idea of a PCP rifle.

Question - besides the rifle, what equipment is needed, what is desireable, and about what would I expect to spend on the support equipment?

Thank you,
Michael B

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hi Michael. I'm just getting back into air guns myself. The support equipment for a PCP can be as cheap as a high pressure hand pump or more expensive than most people could afford. I bought a hand pump to get started & for emergency backup down the road...If you can afford it & you have someplace nearby that can fill to 4500 psi, it's hard to beat the carbon fiber tanks. http://www.airtanksforsale.com/
A very good source for air gun enthusiasts is http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I myself went with a large 3400psi scuba tank as I have a dive shop and paintball facilities in the area. I can get a quite a few fills before the tank requires refilling. I also just recently bought a hand pump for backup but have yet to use it. It also depends on the gun you get. The large caliber, high fill pressure (3000#) guns will have you huffing and puffing hand pumping them whereas guns like a Benjamin Discovery in .177 (2000# fill) are easier to pump and give more shots per fill. I have about $200 in my tank/hose setup which is about what a good hand pump will cost. But as Middlefork Miner said, the sky's the limit

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Thanks guys.

I have been doing some reading, which has only made more questions. I don't know about any paintball places near me, but there is a dive shop. I'll go by there and see what they can do.

Top question: I've been reading about corrosion caused by using compressed damp air. If the dive shop doesn't work out, what is your opinion of a ShoeBox pump? I have a source for 2000-2500 p.s.i. dry nitrogen. If I used that source for the precharge to the pump, I could fill a carry bottle from that. Is this a good idea, or is dry nitrogen not so good?

Thanks again,
Michael B.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The corrosion issue is why I'm gonna do what tmitch is doing... A HP steel scuba tank.
I haven't bothered looking at the shoebox compressor, because there's no way I could afford one...go to the yellow forum..they'll know.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
New to this as well, but was reading a recent article in a British mag that mentioned a stirrup pump as being the best type, but qualified it by saying make sure it has a moisture trap. No more details were given, but it look like the issue of moisture is now avoidable?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The Hill pumps come with a moisture filter. They run around $300. shipped from Pyramyd Air or Airgun Depot. The Benjamin pumps are a lot cheaper running around $180.00. After pumping up a PCP gun you will wish you had bought the Hill pump. As far as PCP rifles go the Benjamin Marauder is a great rifle at a reasonable price. If you have deep pockets the FX guns are hard to beat. I can get my scuba tank filled for $5.00 plus $10. for gas round trip. I pump my rifles most of the time, its good for the arms and back muscles.

I've been so overwhelmed with fake news that I'm now nuts. Let's go Brandon

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

431 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 264mag, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 257_X_50, 39 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,411
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.