Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TWR
Lengthen the gas ports?

Yeah, probably not the best description. But you know what I mean. Gas system length needs to be longer.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
All this is making the Ruger sound better and better.

Better and better and more hypocrytical when Bill wanted ARs banned in the 90s... azzhole. I"d still like to piss on his grave.

Take the opportunity to buy a Ruger AR. That's about as close as you can get.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by CBMJR
Originally Posted by TWR
Lengthen the gas ports?

Yeah, probably not the best description. But you know what I mean. Gas system length needs to be longer.

Oh I got you now, it's been a long day.

I'd be fine with a carbine gas system if they would just make the ports smaller.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
All this is making the Ruger sound better and better.

Better and better and more hypocrytical when Bill wanted ARs banned in the 90s... azzhole. I"d still like to piss on his grave.

Take the opportunity to buy a Ruger AR. That's about as close as you can get.

Cold day in hell when I'll pay money for a ruger anymore. I've got a few. And I like some of their designs, but probably never again if I have a choice.

Yet what do I win in a drawing, a dang American and in the worst caliber.. 270... ugh.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
can anyone explain the thinking on the dual ejectors?? I honestly don't want my gun flinging brass 50 feet away. a neat pile 2 feet away and down is plenty good for me. Now reports are the guns are tearing up the base of the cases, not good. I also don't think its a good idea to take that much more material off the bolt face.

IC B2

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
The DPMS Hunter I am playing with flings them about 5 foot away from shooting bench height into a pretty neat pile. I don't know the theory behind the two ejectors. I am going to head back out again next weekend and give it another whirl. Every piece of the hornady match ammo brass was torn up, but the other brass was not just some light marks on 4 reloads. Plans are to clean the barrel, put in a Geissele SSA-E trigger and burn some more powder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by TWR
Lengthen the gas ports?

Oh I got you now, it's been a long day.

I'd be fine with a carbine gas system if they would just make the ports smaller.

The problem you run into with .308's is the bolt starts trying to extract the case while the bullet is in the barrel. Longer gas system lengths with appropriate port size (look at the KAC rifles) makes them run better with a wider range of loads.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yep, I had that problem with my Armalite AR-10 carbine. While it used a mid length gas system (if I remember right), any 150 grain bullet running over 2700 fps would have pulled rims.

I think an adjustable gas block would be a very good investment.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep. The adjustable gas blocks are almost essential for .308AR reloaders.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
So there are no Extractor marks or they are very light. The case rim on the Hornady cases is bent between the two EJECTOR marks. The exjector marks are "smeared" as the case must be being held straight by the chamber and is under the extractor and the bolt is rotating counter clockwise. You can see the smear of the ejectors and metal is built up in a half moon at the end of the smear. Next there is an obvious to the eye difference in the rims on the Hornady match cases and the WW cases. If you use calipers and measure 10 unfired hornady match brass rims the average is 0,0486, the average for 10 WW Power point unfired cases is 0.0478 with my calipers.

The gun's gas tube is 15 inches long or a bit longer. It throws the brass all in about the same spot.

Why are the ejectors marking and bending the rims of the hornady match grade brass? The extractor is not pulling off the rims or bending them some very faint extractor marks can be seen under a magnification glass.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
well the DPMS gunsmith dude wants me to send the upper in after he saw pictures of the cartridge cases.

I am waiting to see how it plays out for you and wishing and hoping the best. Any new developments?

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
jimmy p, ask the dpms gunsmith why they needed 2 ejectors did the single ejector have issues with the old guns??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a custom gun built once that had ejector smearing issues, the ejector hole needed a slight chamfur. I wonder if that would help. still not big on dual ejectors, no need to throw the brass a mile and I don't like taking metal out of the bolt face.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
well DPMS is slow, they found that the chamber was rough in the barrel and are replacing the barrel. I can't figure why that would not lead to pulling the rim off the case, instead of the ejector marks I was seeing but that is what they said it was.

Should know by Friday a week.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Has your rifle came back yet? Interested to read your next post.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Ricky they sent my money back. Gonna try something else.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
eh tu brute?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Ricky they sent my money back. Gonna try something else.
Sorry to hear that, Jimmy. I was hoping the rifle would live up to other accounts I'd heard.

Mr. djones, have you had a similar experience with the G2?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
All I know is a buddy of mine FLOGGED a couple of G2's with OPA (other people's ammo) and never had a single malfunction. The SASS version of it was quite accurate. I picked up the brass a few days later, a LOT of brass. I sold a bunch of it here.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by RickyD
Mr. djones, have you had a similar experience with the G2?

nah. just giving jimmyp a hard time cause he has been pretty tolerant of dpms when most tend to bash them. i have an lr308 which, as far as i can tell from the internet confused, is a different animal entirely. i just defend dpms in general cause i like being the underdog, but i really don't know anything about them.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 1936M71, 69 invisible), 3,252 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.