Hop To
#8662467 03/09/14
T
Tulie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Lately, I have been wanting to pick up a big bore lever again and am curious about the Rossi Rio Grande in 45-70. Is it as strong as the Marlin? I've seen conflicting reviews. Also, what is the advantage of a longer barrel vs the 18.5" in the Marlin? Increased velocity or is the 18.5 long enough to get all the velocity you will get? I know this is not a high velocity cartridge but still want to get what I can out of it. I had a 1895 about 20 years ago and it was just way too much fun so that's why I'm thinking of another one.

Last question is there a quality issue with the newer Marlin's? I'd really like to find an older one again but they are pretty hard to come by in my neck of the woods.

Thanks ahead of time!

"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
-Thomas Jefferson
BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
short answer is find an older marlin. the rossi's i have handled look like they were made in china. they may shoot ok, but the looks and workmanship turn me off. the newer marlins are a bit better but have been plagued with problems such that i would not buy one. there are plenty of JM 1895G's on gunbroker. they cost a bit more these days but are worth it. i have had one since 2000 and it is an awesome gun. the 18" barrel is plenty for the 45-70 round.

My diploma is a DD214
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have both an 1895 Marlin and an H&R Buffalo Classic with the 32" barrel. They are both fun to shoot, and both accurate. The nice thing about the 32" barrel is that the muzzle is over a foot farther away from your ears. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

T
Tulie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
That's true. The blast from a short barrel is a lot worse. I'm wondering if the action of the Rossi is as strong as the Marlin's. Yeah, I do agree also with rem141r about the older 1895's being a lot better. Problem is I've been looking around here trying to find one I can get my hands on before buying and there just aren't many available. Guess I'll just keep looking and one will come up one of these days.

Thanks guys!

"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
-Thomas Jefferson
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ever consider the Henry .45-70? I handled one at the local shop, they seem to be pretty nicely done. Better than the current crop of Remlins.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

T
Tulie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Yeah, I've thought about a Henry. Actually have a 22 lever of theirs and it's an excellent setup. I handled a 30-30 and their actions are amazingly smooth as is my 22. I just hadn't looked at them because they are a fair amount more than the others but at least they are American made. It might be the best way to go if I go with a new one. They are bull strong from what I've heard too so no problem with loading them up to the top.

-Mark Twain

-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All I can say is I have a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt and it is flawless

But

I had

http://www.stevesgunz.com/

Do a "standard Package"

I bet it is as fine as any you can buy

That said I would ask him any question about Rossi

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
IMO go with what rem141r said. I have 2 older Marlins & love them. One is the cowboy model with the octagon barrel,the other is an older pre-safety 1895 with the 22" barrel. Both are great guns.
I have heard you get a lot more noise & muzzle blast with the 18" barrel,especially if it is ported.

M
Mak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I can't recommend a Rossi RG, because I've never had the pleasure of shooting one. In my mind, you don't know a gun until you actually shoot it.
However, I do have considerable experience with Marlin. First of all, Marlin is actually 2 companies-the one before the Remington buy out, and the one after. In plain language, Remington destroyed a great company. Their current products suck, are way overpriced, and work better as clubs than guns.
Marlins, big bore Marlins pre-buyout can still be had for decent prices, if you look. The other day I held a 22" 444 that was in fine shape and was under $600, hiding in plain sight on the gun store floor rack.
The pre-buyout guns were hands down, excellent guns. If I couldn't afford a Henry, I'd hold out for a good used Marlin. They are out there, and they are worth the money.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tmitch
Ever consider the Henry .45-70? I handled one at the local shop, they seem to be pretty nicely done. Better than the current crop of Remlins.

^^^This^^^

The new Henry 45-70 looks and handles nicely. And I like the new Tube Fed design, kinda like an old Marlin 22 mag tube feed.

I've seen a couple of new Rossi 45-70 that had problems at a LGS. The Lever got stuck in the down stroke and could not be cocked.
And if you want a Marlin, I'd buy one made before 2000. JMHO, though.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/25/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 57 invisible), 3,121 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,190
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.