Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
V
I just picked up a Ruger Alaskan in 375 Ruger and was wondering if anyone makes a custom extended safety for the Hawkeye? The safety seems a little rough and when it is locked fully to the rear it sits pretty flush with the bolt. It is a little difficult to move to fire in one motion and I imagine it would not be any easier if it was wet and I was wearing gloves. When trying to work it in a hurry, my thumb tends to slip off of it half the time before it is fully forward. It seems if it extended 1/8-1/4" the issue would be solved.

I did a google search and looked on midway and brownells and did not see anything. I figured if someone made one yall would know.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That safety, IMHO, is THE weak link or most greivious mistake in the design of an otherwise excellent rifle.

A decent gunsmith/metalsmith would be able to slick up the operation and change the shape of that safety to something not so well hidden when engaged, with relative ease, I would think.

If I owned a Ruger MK ll or Hawkeye, that is the first thing I would have done, along with a basic trigger job and overall smoothing up. Especially one in 375 Ruger which may see duty on dangerous game hunts.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stretching my memory here a bit, I am pretty sure that I have seen an extension welded onto that safety here in this forum. I hope whoever had that done will chime in here for you.

Ed LaPour might have an aftermarket safety for this, he has model 70 style safeties for many firearms. He did the Safety and many other upgrades on my CZ in 416Rigby.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
V
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Thanks for the suggestion on Ed LaPour. On his site he only lists safeties for the tang safty rugers but I sent him an email to see if he could make one for the newer rugers.

I was hoping someone would make a drop in part but I guess that would be too easy.

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Thanks for the thread, I just realized mine has a safety...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Thanks for posting that Bruce, I have talked with Ruger about making a minor change along those lines and also had a discussion with Morris Melani at Alaska Arms about making some but the safety is not a simple, easy to install piece.
Last time I talked with Ruger they did listen and said that a change for them would not be too difficult. So hopefully they will get around to it.
After all, it took Winchester three tries to get it right on the M-70.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Phil,

I am very glad that someone of your experience and knowledge has the ear of a few folks at Ruger! Let us hope they fix that soon.

Good point about the Winchester Safties. My Mauser action rifles all get Model 70 clone safeties on them. Next one up is an FN Mauser with 28 inch heavy contour super match PacNor bbl in 257WBY.
My CZ/Brno custom 416 Rigby has model 70 type safety AND trigger mechanism/trigger pad.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I wish they would just bring the tang back. The original wasn't broken.

V
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
V
I heard back from Ed, he quoted me $400 for parts and labor. I'm sure his work is worth every penny... but hard to justify for this rifle. I think I'll give the Devcon a shot.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steel cookie dough...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ValorsMinion
I heard back from Ed, he quoted me $400 for parts and labor. I'm sure his work is worth every penny... but hard to justify for this rifle. I think I'll give the Devcon a shot.
I am here to tell you that it very much is. He will (or used to anyway) sell you just the safety kit and you could have another gunsmith install it.

It is a SA weet setup.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 280fan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 43 invisible), 2,748 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,910
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.