Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've cussed and discussed the 3/4 ton truck option. The telling tale will happen in 2 weeks. We're pulling our cargo trailer to a show using my wife's Infiniti. I has about 85 more hp than my truck and more torque to boot. I bought a weight distribution hitch to help with the process. If it tries to walk all over the road or lags the car, it's time for the 3/4.

Now on to the truck. I've driven several 3/4 tons and seem to like the Ford the best. I don't drive my personal vehicle a lot, but when I do it seems to be pulling something about 1/2 the time. We've also talked about getting a camper trailer and heading out with the kids.

Those of you that have the 6.7L, what are your thoughts. I know you have to use good fuel, fill it with def, and keep up with general maintenance. I typically only drive about 6,000-8,000 miles a year. I plan on finding one that's got around 45,000-65,000 miles on it and it should last me a very long time. What stories do you guys have about your 6.7's? What are your opinions?

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have 3 that I work on and they have a lot of power but don't get good mileage. I think you will find that any of the new diesels are not good in the mileage dept. Haven't had any problems with any of them yet. If you do, there is a lot of work to get accessing stuff.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The '13 and on Cummins that use DEF for emission control seem to be considerably more efficient than the earlier DPF only trucks. My 2014 gets better mileage running unloaded than my '03 did. It does seem to use more fuel when towing though. Best hand calculated mileage on a 526 mile trip to Charlotte and back was 23.1 mpg. Towing a car hauler with combined weight of car and trailer nets 13-15, where the '03 would do 1-2 mpg better. All hand calculated figures, as I don't believe the trip computer.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got a 2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4x4 King Ranch Crew Cab with the 6.7 Diesel that I love! Best motor I've had in all my Ford F-250's and much more power & torque than ANY Diesel Truck I've ever owned. As far as mileage, I get 19 to 20 mpg running 75 mph empty and 12 to 13 mpg hauling our big cattle trailer loaded at 75 mph. SOB is a pulling son of a bitch. Never had ANY trouble at all with it, either.

How's the Polaris 4-wheeler I sold your Dad running? That was some damn good Catfish y'all fed me at the Peach Orchard, or whatever the name of that Resterant we ate at was.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/26/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've got 45K on mine now and nary a lick of trouble. Fuel, oil changes, rotate tires, 1 DEF re-flash that they all got which added about 10min onto an oil change for me. Speed limit on interstate here is 75, I drive ~80MPH everywhere and avg 14-16. If I drive into MN and slow down to the low 70's I get high teens.

Keep the short trips to a minimum, do your best to get it up to normal operating temp on every drive and you'll likely never have an issue.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just rolled over 45,000 myself on a 2011 duramax with the same experience. Same mileage, one DEF related problem covered under warranty (a sensor) and same reliability.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2012, 50,000 miles long term everyday average mileage is 17. Pulling my 18,000 lb fifth wheel she gets 10ish.
Most all my miles are mountain driving.
Absolutely no issues, and it's a pulling S.O.B.
Did have to add airbags, though.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I've got a 2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4x4 King Ranch Crew Cab with the 6.7 Diesel that I love! Best motor I've had in all my Ford F-250's and much more power & torque than ANY Diesel Truck I've ever owned. As far as mileage, I get 19 to 20 mpg running 75 mph empty and 12 to 13 mpg hauling our big cattle trailer loaded at 75 mph. SOB is a pulling son of a bitch. Never had ANY trouble at all with it, either.

How's the Polaris 4-wheeler I sold your Dad running? That was some damn good Catfish y'all fed me at the Peach Orchard, or whatever the name of that Resterant we ate at was.

The 4-wheeler is still running like a top. With my 2 kids they get plenty of use. Dad leaves that one down there so he doesn't have to ferry one back and forth. He's been happy with it. You got the name of the fish place right, also. Now you've got me thinking I need to make a trip just for lunch. Thanks for the info on the truck too.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
2012, 50,000 miles long term everyday average mileage is 17. Pulling my 18,000 lb fifth wheel she gets 10ish.
Most all my miles are mountain driving.
Absolutely no issues, and it's a pulling S.O.B.
Did have to add airbags, though.

My wife's uncle had the same issue so he handed his 250 down to her aunt and bought a 350. He said it doesn't squat it nearly as bad. The 350 is actually getting a little better mileage than the 250, but I would guess that's because of how they're driven.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

The 4-wheeler is still running like a top. With my 2 kids they get plenty of use. Dad leaves that one down there so he doesn't have to ferry one back and forth. He's been happy with it. You got the name of the fish place right, also. Now you've got me thinking I need to make a trip just for lunch. Thanks for the info on the truck too.

Cool. Glad to hear y'all are enjoying the 4-Wheeler. If I'm ever up that way again, I'll Definately be stopping there for some more Fried Catfish.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I need to get down there.

Anybody got anything any other opinions on the truck overall?

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Will the adding of an aftermarket chip improve mileage at all?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
My current Ford is a 2012 F350 SRW 4x4 with the 6.7L engine. I've been a Ford Super Duty guy for a while, through 2x of the 7.3's and one 6.0...current 6.7L is my favorite. Has plenty of power and torque for my needs, pulls a trailer well. I have the electronic locking rear differential, and it works well in the mud. As far as mpg...around town I get about 14, highway 16/17. Have full replacement bumper front and rear, full steel running boards, headache rack/rails etc that add some weight and cost mpg. Was running 18+ highway off the lot. No issues so far with about 27K on the truck...very pleased.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the 6.7 is a great engine and trans combo. I just sold mine and downsized to an ecoboost f150, plenty of power and way more comfortable. if you don't need to tow over 10000 pounds I highly recommend it.

IMO the problem with the 6.7 and all the other diesels for that matter is they are way too complicated. I shutter to think about the repair bills people are going to see once these trucks are older and commonly have well in excess of 100k miles on them. its way too easy to have a multi thousand $$$ repair on these. The other is the fuel mileage is overstated YESSS I could at times see as much as 22mpg with my 6.7 but reality is the mileage over an entire tank is way less because of regens. towing was pretty comparable to the older diesel dodges I used to run. 93,02,06 dodges. highway mpg was about 16.5 maybe 17 if I keep the speeds 75mph or less.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have been around them a lot and have a lot of buddies with them. NOBODY gets 20 mpg in them, NOBODY that I know. I have been thousands of miles in one in particular and have had to pay for my share of the fuel. We get 13 pulling a small trailer with a Ranger on it and 17 running empty at best. The ones we work get about 9-10 according to the computer and sometimes only 8 in town. (all F-550s).

The new 15s are supposed to have 440 HP and almost 900 ft-lbs torque. This is insane power. All this said, if I ever wreck my 7.3 I will buy a gasser. I don't tow enough anymore to justify a diesel. You pay $5000 more for the engine and 50-70 cents more a gallon for the fuel. Where does it pay for itself? It doesn't- it just makes it possible to pull your 36' toy hauler up the hill and not back up traffic.

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
dennis is spot on with the fuel mileage. I might also ad that after switching over to the ecoboost I saved $50 on my first fill up alone, due to increased fuel mileage AND cheaper fuel. thats alot of money on one tank of gas.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have owned diesel powered passenger trucks since 1980 a IH Scout... it was a slug...1992 250 5 speed manual 5.7 Dodge Cummins...2001 250 auto Ford 7.3...

Now a 2012 350 auto 6.7 Ford...I only use the truck for pulling a trailer or hauling a load in the box.... 90% of the time highway...just did a 850 mile round trip cruise set at 75 MPH or 5 MPH over speed limit.... hauled 2500 lbs. of bear bait weighed on a certified scale... 28 gallon tank of gasoline and 28 gallon tank of diesel fuel on a bumper rack 2 passengers 2-120 quart coolers of food...return trip 8'bed stacked to top of cap with hard maple firewood had to put 60 LBS. of air in the bags to get springs off rubber cushions....19.7 MPG with 2 regens....

Pulling a 10'000 LBS+ camper never less than 12 MPG usually 13-15 MPG depending on wind....

Adding more power to the 15's I just don't think it's needed....just making it easier to brake something...I guess HP sells...improve mileage in my mind would be smarter...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've got a 6.7 in a 2013 model. So far so good. On the interstate at 75mph, I'm getting 18.5 mpg. Lots of stop and go it drops to about 16.5 on average. I haven't hooked any heavy trailers to it yet, but I'm very optimistic that it's going to have plenty of power to full my 34' fifth wheel.

It is a little scary to know that you can't even change or check the belts on the engine without taking the cab of the truck off. They have it packed in there tight.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Allen917
I've got a 6.7 in a 2013 model. So far so good. On the interstate at 75mph, I'm getting 18.5 mpg. Lots of stop and go it drops to about 16.5 on average. I haven't hooked any heavy trailers to it yet, but I'm very optimistic that it's going to have plenty of power to full my 34' fifth wheel.

It is a little scary to know that you can't even change or check the belts on the engine without taking the cab of the truck off. They have it packed in there tight.

It's not that bad but you can't do any head work without pulling the cab. Belts are still accessible- kinda

NRA Benefactor Member

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I'm glad some people aren't having issues with their Ford's. We have a fleet that I oversee the maintenance on. We have 2011-2014's F150's,F350's and F550's. At least 1-2 of our trucks are in the dealers shop per month for some sort of repairs. From total engine (gas & diesel) failures,DEF problems,u-joints,carrier bearings,PCM's,rear end & trans failures. None have made it past 10,000 miles without some sort of failure. I'll disagree on how great their diesels are compared to the dirty max or cummins. We have a F550 with a 6.7L that has had 4 complete engines installed under warranty and it has less than 90,000.Our trucks are brought in every 3,000 miles for oil and filter(oil & air along with both fuel filters on diesels) changes along with thorough inspections. Our ECO boost gets less than 14mpg and it doesn't haul anything except the manager around. Diesels are less than that empty or loaded. Goodluck with your Fords. My personal truck is 2014 Dodge 2500 6.4L gas. Honest 15.5-16.5mpg loaded or unloaded. And yes it has a 'HEMI'

Doug

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.