Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by winchester
I'm glad some people aren't having issues with their Ford's. We have a fleet that I oversee the maintenance on. We have 2011-2014's F150's,F350's and F550's. At least 1-2 of our trucks are in the dealers shop per month for some sort of repairs. From total engine (gas & diesel) failures,DEF problems,u-joints,carrier bearings,PCM's,rear end & trans failures. None have made it past 10,000 miles without some sort of failure. I'll disagree on how great their diesels are compared to the dirty max or cummins. We have a F550 with a 6.7L that has had 4 complete engines installed under warranty and it has less than 90,000.Our trucks are brought in every 3,000 miles for oil and filter(oil & air along with both fuel filters on diesels) changes along with thorough inspections. Our ECO boost gets less than 14mpg and it doesn't haul anything except the manager around. Diesels are less than that empty or loaded. Goodluck with your Fords. My personal truck is 2014 Dodge 2500 6.4L gas. Honest 15.5-16.5mpg loaded or unloaded. And yes it has a 'HEMI'

Doug

When you have fleet(company owned vehicles) people don't use them if they were there's...most don't care because there is another vehicle waiting when they brake the one they are using...

GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by winchester
I'm glad some people aren't having issues with their Ford's. We have a fleet that I oversee the maintenance on. We have 2011-2014's F150's,F350's and F550's. At least 1-2 of our trucks are in the dealers shop per month for some sort of repairs. From total engine (gas & diesel) failures,DEF problems,u-joints,carrier bearings,PCM's,rear end & trans failures. None have made it past 10,000 miles without some sort of failure. I'll disagree on how great their diesels are compared to the dirty max or cummins. We have a F550 with a 6.7L that has had 4 complete engines installed under warranty and it has less than 90,000.Our trucks are brought in every 3,000 miles for oil and filter(oil & air along with both fuel filters on diesels) changes along with thorough inspections. Our ECO boost gets less than 14mpg and it doesn't haul anything except the manager around. Diesels are less than that empty or loaded. Goodluck with your Fords. My personal truck is 2014 Dodge 2500 6.4L gas. Honest 15.5-16.5mpg loaded or unloaded. And yes it has a 'HEMI'

Doug

couple comments, for some reason the chassis cab ford 6.7's have and do have some engine issues. Its a little different engine than is in the regular superduty. I put 70k on my 6.7 issues were a shifting issue in the trans that was fixed with a computer flash. that was mainly because the truck was a first year truck. The other was an EGT sensor. oh yeah and the radiator developed a very small leak right before I sold the truck. radiators are a known issue still with these trucks. so if your looking at a used 6.7 with 70 or 80k on it find out if the radiator has been replaced because its a 2k repair if you get stuck with it.

as for the ecoboost and 14 mpg, something is wrong. I never see less than 15 in town and normally about 17 combined, pretty much right in line with whats on the window sticker.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
2012 with 30k miles here, probably 3k pulling my 12k+ lb fifth wheel. Only issue has been an EGT sensor which caused the truck to tell me to pull over safely NOW. Got towed to Ford dealer and fixed within an hour or so - they immediately knew what the problem was so guess it is common.

I get about 17mpg mixed in town and highway, and anywhere from 9-12mpg towing depending on wind mainly. For example got 12.5mpg towing to west Texas (up hill from Houston) recently, but only 10 coming back due to strong head/cross wind.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Well we don't have enough trucks around for one person just get out of one into another. So we had 2 more go down. 2013 F550 with the CP4 out of it at 38,000 with filters changed more often than most people would. This one has had DEF,wiring along with other issues. 2012 F550 diesel that has had trans problems and different engine problems. Another 2012 F550 with less than 100,000 that is on its 4th engine and 2nd trans along with DEF and wiring problems. I've worked other places that had 10-30 F350-F550's and all had engine,trans and wiring problems with less than 30,000 miles. My only thing is that nobody builds a perfect car/truck these days. You can flip a coin and may get a great one or a lemon.

Doug

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Unfortunately after only 10 months with mine in the shop five times for a total of almost a month I sent my f250 down the road yesterday. Loved the power and size but cannot spend the payment having it at the dealer every other month, I will say that the ford dealer took good care of me but after visit three or four the service guys were telling me off the record of too many problems.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CP4 problems are bad juju. Repair bill on a Chevy with a CP4 failure can run about $13,000. It has me scared.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by K1500
CP4 problems are bad juju. Repair bill on a Chevy with a CP4 failure can run about $13,000. It has me scared.
this is what people are going to find when these trucks get high mileage on them. Diesels are just too complicated these days

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep. It has me thinking about a ram (maybe even a power wagon) with the 6.4 hemi. Problem is it is hard to go back to pulling with a gasser.

Last edited by K1500; 08/24/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My friend and I are both diesel enthusiasts. He knows diesels, works for a large utility company with a fleet of 30 Ford 6.7's...... F 350's with utility body. He says they're terrible, just complete sh#t, his words. These are new trucks. At any one time at least 5 or 6 are out of commission for repairs. One has gone through 4 or 5 engines on warranty, I don't remember what kept breaking. They all get terrible mileage, like 8-9mpg. I'd thought they were supposed to be pretty good and it surprised me to hear that.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
6.7's have issues around the 125-150k mark if they get that far. My diesel mechanic was buying Cummings and installing them in Ford's.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ackman
My friend and I are both diesel enthusiasts. He knows diesels, works for a large utility company with a fleet of 30 Ford 6.7's...... F 350's with utility body. He says they're terrible, just complete sh#t, his words. These are new trucks. At any one time at least 5 or 6 are out of commission for repairs. One has gone through 4 or 5 engines on warranty, I don't remember what kept breaking. They all get terrible mileage, like 8-9mpg. I'd thought they were supposed to be pretty good and it surprised me to hear that.

thats BS I am going to just call it out. I have been on various diesel forums since this engine came out as well as spent my fair share of driving one. The chassis cab engines are a different animal and have had issues. They are a slighly different engine that is NOT rated 400hp 800tq. if its 400/800 you have the standard engine that is by and large a great engine. I hope you are not confusing the 6.7 with the 6.4 or even the 6.0. Every engine has failures but to say they are wide spread is false. The 6.7 aside from some minor glitches has been a great engine for ford and one that competes well with any of the other 2. I drove dodges for years, they had long been the standard for diesel fuel mileage. my 6.7 got better mileage than my '02 dads '04 my '06 but not quite as good as my single cab 2wd '93 but that truck was less than 6000#'s. that is empty, towing my 6.7 matched or exceeded all those different trucks in fuel mpg. I don't know what your buddy is talking about. I am not brand loyal. if you have to have a diesel truck for weight compacity, buy a 6.7 and sell it at around 100k. I would say the same for the other 2 makes as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Think whatever you want. The guy works for Rocky Mt. Power, 12-16hrs/day driving one of those trucks. He knows exactly what he's talking about. His personal truck for years was an LLY, now it's an LMM. I'm not confusing anything with anything so pipe down.. He tells me the company 6.7's are crap, I believe him. Go back and look at Winchester's post.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Think whatever you want. The guy works for Rocky Mt. Power, 12-16hrs/day driving one of those trucks. He knows exactly what he's talking about. His personal truck for years was an LLY, now it's an LMM. I'm not confusing anything with anything so pipe down.. He tells me the company 6.7's are crap, I believe him. Go back and look at Winchester's post.

spoken from a duramax guy, that figures. my neighbor just traded his 18 mo old dmax back in because is had issues the dealer couldn't figure out. one was an oil leak that was never solved. believe what you want, I put 70k on my 6.7 towing loads, flying down ruff gravel roads in the high desert. only motor problem was an egt sensor. I am not brand loyal and don't care, I drive fords now despite my screen name here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

spoken from a duramax guy, that figures. I am not brand loyal and don't care, I drive fords now despite my screen name here.

No, what figures is he told me what's going on with those trucks at work. Nothing to do with what he drives. Sounds like the same crap as Winchester's experience. You've had good luck with yours great, that's how it should be. If you're "not brand loyal and don't care" then stop bitching.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We bought several at my FD in both cab/chassis and 4dr 4x4's and they've been complete schitt. Trans issues out the azz and a couple complete engine failures as well as EGT problems. I had high hopes for this platform but so far don't know anyone who's had good luck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bloodworks
We bought several at my FD in both cab/chassis and 4dr 4x4's and they've been complete schitt. Trans issues out the azz and a couple complete engine failures as well as EGT problems. I had high hopes for this platform but so far don't know anyone who's had good luck.

wow this is crazy, during my entire time at ford truck enthuists forums NOT ONE person reported or even heard of a trans failure with the 6.7 powertrain setup. NOT ONE, nobody. believe me we generally heard about problems not good things over there. early on there was an issue with the adaptive learning in the trans, some also needed a selonoid replacement, This effected early '11 models only, a reflash fixed the trans issue and the selonoid was hardware. truck was an early '11 model and it needed the reflash and all was well. never have I heard of a 6.7 psd tranny total failure. Which is pretty amazing if you think about.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I chalk that up to guys working on them not being on forums. I don't care in the least about brand and just want the damn things to work but so far they've been spotty.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I bet the guys with all the failures have trucks that sit and idle for a while. With these new emitions requirements, long idle period will jam up the exhaust and cause a miriad of other issues. If they work hard, driven long miles or tow regularly they seem to work well. City driving is tough too.

“Lighten up Francis”
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have a 2012 F-250 6.7 and love it so far. I've got 35k on it. Mileage is 10-12 pulling my 36 ft travel trailer which is around 11k loaded for a trip. The only thing I have been disappointed with is I had to put helper springs on it. The springs are soft on these new 250's. I'm taking it in Monday for service and there is an oil leak they're going to fix. I think its the front seal. The leak is not bad and it just started. Overall I would buy another one before any of the rest. This is my second diesel, my first was a 2007 Duramax classic body and loved that truck too but the new chevy's are ugly.

magnums the only way to shoot
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by bloodworks

wow this is crazy, during my entire time at ford truck enthuists forums NOT ONE person reported or even heard of a trans failure with the 6.7 powertrain setup. NOT ONE, nobody. believe me we generally heard about problems not good things over there. early on there was an issue with the adaptive learning in the trans, some also needed a selonoid replacement, This effected early '11 models only, a reflash fixed the trans issue and the selonoid was hardware. truck was an early '11 model and it needed the reflash and all was well. never have I heard of a 6.7 psd tranny total failure. Which is pretty amazing if you think about.

I was trying to not get involved but I had a 2011 F250 6.7 until this spring. I absolutely loved the truck but it started having issues at 19k miles. My truck started to have turbo flutter, surging issues, and rough shifts while going up slight grades. I took it in for warranty repair and the dealership replaced the TQ converter, TCM, and a few other parts. It shifted like glass, but the engine was still cutting/surging. We have a few Ford 6.7s at work with similar issues. After looking at the service bulletin it appears some of the trucks like to drop a valve and who knows which trucks have the isssue. I traded it in on a 2014 Silverado Duramax. I miss the interior and interior space but the Silverado handles like a sports car compared to the Ford. The chassis design on the GM is far superior to the Ford. No body flex, sagging, or creaking sounds while going over uneven terrain. The Ford was quieter and has more bottom end but less power from mid to high RPMs. My 6.7 got slightly better mpg than my new D-max at this point.

A co-worker purchased a 2014 in July and before 500 miles he got a check engine light. Ford said he got contaminated fuel and charged him 4k to replace and clean the fuel system. His insurance covered the bill. He swears the tank of diesel was the fuel the dealership put in the truck at the time of the sale. I would have purchased a gasser if I had it to do over.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
675 members (12308300, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.