Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I was on a Buffalo ranch in Nebraska that has a iron critter target layout like the Quigley and the four of us where banging away with several different Sharps calibers and we decided to back up to the Billy Dixon line at 1585 yards. I decided to use my hunting rifle the .44-77 Sharps using the Lawrence ladder sight and blade front. It took a few shots to get on that Buff at that range holding on dark spots on the ground to the left three targets because of the Neb. wind. but don't ever count the blade and ladder sights short. They work just fine. You just need to use them to learn how to use them.

Kurt

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You guys suck. Only irons I can use these days are on a RB ML that has a 42" barrel. That puts the blade about 4' from my eye and I can deal with the fuzzies on the v-notch rear well enough. Otherwise it's apertures/peeps or glass. I like aperture sights a lot regardless of form. I do have an optical diopter sight on a zimmer that would be awkward afield. Hell, the gun it mounts on would be awkward in the field. German Schuetzen style guns...you put them on is the best way to describe it I guess.

OTOH, I have a Williams aperture on a Model 94 that has taken a few critters on the fly. Circumstances weigh heavily on how and where they (peeps/apertures/verniers) can be used I think.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just get some glasses that let you see the front sight. I'm blind as a bat without my glasses. With glasses I can shoot. It ain't rocket science.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I already got bi-focals.....I hunt mostly very close cover that is shaded in large part and do so still hunting.

Also have a new lens in the left eye. I like sights with round holes.

6 Million $ Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
For whatever it might be worth, I purchased one of these for my Stevens 44 some time back. It is a #104 Schuetzen.

[Linked Image]

My intention was not for hunting applications but it could be used for that purpose without a lot of grief. I am not however a knob twiddler in the field. Within the viable range for that particular gun I would have it zeroed and know the intermediate POI elevations to include 25-50 yards beyond zero. I do not find the aperture difficult for finding the blade or target. My eyes are however not terribly successful with the original buckhorn sights.

My .02, FWIW

I might have to get one of those, for my Stevens 44 as well. Screws are 1.50" center to center?

Of course, if I close my thumb in the action again I may want a left hand version blush

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Not too loud Tex or someone will show up soon and say you don't need that! grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not need What?...thumb, tang sight, or Stevens? grin

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Tang.. grin

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can pretty well ga-rauntee I'm not gonna shoot a running deer with the Stevens. smile Although it's conceivable I could shoot a turkey with it. More likely a raccoon or bunny.

The Marlin in the same caliber wears a scope and will take warm smokeless loads; that would be what I'd want for serious critter getting.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My Marlin 444 wears only buck horns but I'm thinking a Lyman or similar tang might be the cat's meow for some extended range work as I have a fine 310 gr cast GC bullet it slings with authority.

Woody
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
For whatever it might be worth, I purchased one of these for my Stevens 44 some time back. It is a #104 Schuetzen.

[Linked Image]

My intention was not for hunting applications but it could be used for that purpose without a lot of grief. I am not however a knob twiddler in the field. Within the viable range for that particular gun I would have it zeroed and know the intermediate POI elevations to include 25-50 yards beyond zero. I do not find the aperture difficult for finding the blade or target. My eyes are however not terribly successful with the original buckhorn sights.

My .02, FWIW

I might have to get one of those, for my Stevens 44 as well. Screws are 1.50" center to center?

Of course, if I close my thumb in the action again I may want a left hand version blush

MVA makes specific bases for a variety of old guns. Tell them what you got when you order.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thanks!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
As a relative newbie to BPCR and with my present learning curve moving forward a good Vernier sight was a big ? mark as to whether one would be in my future.

Jorge stepped up and offered to lend his for a trial run saving me a large outlay of initial cash just in case it shouldn't fit my comfort zone.

It's an MVA Buffalo Soule #101 mid range and quite pricey I may add.Having launched about 50 rounds downrange at 100-350 after correlating with the buck horns it gives me a much better sight pic than the barrel sights but as you all know too well is slow to acquire in most hunting scenarios.

I'll be 66 soon the ole peepers aren't what they used to be so I need all the help I can get without glasses..Hunting Nebraska winters with specks is an almost impossible undertaking. Further testing is eminent but this sight design is without a doubt in my near future.

Jorge thanks for the trial run my friend really appreciate it,gotta love the CF kindness that shows itself here time after time.. smile

[Linked Image]

Ya know if I were you I would worry about the information that who ever is trying to pass that Parts Unknown soule sight off on you as an MVA longrange buffalo sight, more than I would be taking pot shots at folks who offered up opinions based on actual experience...

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
As a relative newbie to BPCR and with my present learning curve moving forward a good Vernier sight was a big ? mark as to whether one would be in my future.

Jorge stepped up and offered to lend his for a trial run saving me a large outlay of initial cash just in case it shouldn't fit my comfort zone.

It's an MVA Buffalo Soule #101 mid range and quite pricey I may add.Having launched about 50 rounds downrange at 100-350 after correlating with the buck horns it gives me a much better sight pic than the barrel sights but as you all know too well is slow to acquire in most hunting scenarios.

I'll be 66 soon the ole peepers aren't what they used to be so I need all the help I can get without glasses..Hunting Nebraska winters with specks is an almost impossible undertaking. Further testing is eminent but this sight design is without a doubt in my near future.

Jorge thanks for the trial run my friend really appreciate it,gotta love the CF kindness that shows itself here time after time.. smile

[Linked Image]

Ya know if I were you I would worry about the information that who ever is trying to pass that Parts Unknown soule sight off on you as an MVA longrange buffalo sight, more than I would be taking pot shots at folks who offered up opinions based on actual experience...

I take everything quite seriously on this thread and have put all suggestions on file.Pot shots? Sorry you're offended it was meant solely in jest and not to criticize anyone. Bill and I have become good cyber friends and he's busted my chops routinely with alternative suggestions but
I'm not offended in the least as the knowledge I've gained from our conversations are invaluable, doubtful it would be any different if you and I visited.

Jim is another mentor who's guided me along to where I am today with his take on the scheme of things. I've read enough mail here to know that many of you with years of experience differ on many issues and technical preferences but manage to arrive at the same place.

This is still a trial run for me and may not work out down the road but at least I gave it try...

Woody
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Fugg it Flem, get a 300 Weatherby and kick all their asses smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ranch13

Ya know if I were you I would worry about the information that who ever is trying to pass that Parts Unknown soule sight off on you as an MVA longrange buffalo sight

My mistake in ID'ing the sight,you are correct it's not an MVA but a Parts Unknown brand which has a few minor differences primarily at the base mounts.Correct me if I'm wrong but a search indicates they are no longer available as Parts unknown but now are Red River brand.

No matter it will serve my purpose well as it's high quality and still pricey but FWIW there was no misrepresentation intended as it found its way to my gun just several honest mistakes in identity which heretofore no one caught but you.

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Parts unknown is now Red River. You can't get that soule sight anymore, they do produce the borchardt sight which combined with the redesigned eyecup makes a terrific target sight, but really sucks when it comes time to change the elevation setting.
Yes good quality sights are expensive.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Fugg it Flem, get a 300 Weatherby and kick all their asses smile

Well just be careful you don't put your or somebody elses eye out with the damn thing. Your mother would never forgive us...

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think more accurately, get an ultralight .300 Weatherby and let folks shoot it. It will kick their ass for you. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That sort of stuff only works on folks with no experience,, not so much for folks that go back with the 300 wby to the days when you sent your M70 to Roy hisownself..
Experience, it's a great teacher, and sometimes it pays to pay some heed to folks that have it..

www.historicshooting.com
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,875 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,952
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.