Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#8978738 06/27/14
GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, earlier in the week I woke up with pink eye. Never had it before so I didn't know what the problem was.

Went to the opta.. opti.. eye doctor and she gave me some drops, one drop three times a day.

This stuff is driving me crazy! How long does it take to get better? It's still about the same here on the forth day.

Geo

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Usually clears up fairly quickly.

A home remedy that works wonders with eye problems (conjuctivitis, clogged tear duct et al) is putting a tea bag on your eye. Put a pair of plane old lipton tea bags in a cup of boiling water and let it steep 5 minutes. Take the tea bag out and when it's cooled to the point you can stand it, put them on your eyes and let them sit there for about 5 minutes.

The tea bags should help your eyes clear up even quicker. I find once a day for two days, three tops does the trick.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by GeoW
Well, earlier in the week I woke up with pink eye. Never had it before so I didn't know what the problem was.

Went to the opta.. opti.. eye doctor and she gave me some drops, one drop three times a day.

This stuff is driving me crazy! How long does it take to get better? It's still about the same here on the forth day.

Geo

Well, if it is still only in one eye, it is likely caused by a bacteria (a virus would already be in the other eye, most likely). It it isn't better by tommorrow, I'd call the doc and get him to Rx a different antibiotic drop. What did he prescribe?

GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks 458. Will get the tea bags in the water directly.

TAK, the drops are Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Dexamethasone Opthalmic Suspension USP

Thanks!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

The only pink-eye I am aware of is in cattle, what exactly is your symptom?

The teabag trick sounds like it would be worth remembering.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pink eye is fairly common in people. And really contagious. My daughter brought it home from school a couple years ago and the whole family got it. Better than lice!!!

Eat moose, burn spruce
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Pittu
Pink eye is fairly common in people. And really contagious. My daughter brought it home from school a couple years ago and the whole family got it. Better than lice!!!

When working overseas, I coached the football team and our only practice area was a cow pasture. Whole team and 3 coaches got it and we gave it to all of the team in Singapore when playing there that weekend. Drops cured it but it took a while with the ping/pong effect.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Red, itchy, watery runny eyes, feel like one has sand spurs in his eye..

Not pleasant..

Thomas Jefferson

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

That is usually the viral variety. It spreads PDQ, that is why you never get it in only one eye.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm usually not much of one for home remedies, but the tea bags really do the trick.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Neither were the eye drops we used, burned badly but worked. Wished I could recall that potion.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I have never even HEARD of anything like that...feel free to keep it.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had it a number of times while in school. Wake up and your eye is difficult to open, because it's so crusted over.

Sucks for sure!

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by GeoW
Thanks 458. Will get the tea bags in the water directly.

TAK, the drops are Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Dexamethasone Opthalmic Suspension USP

Thanks!

First time I had it it wasn't clearing up either with the drops. Went back to the Doc and found out I was allergic to Neomycin, which is fairly common. You don't notice the allergy with triple antibiotic ointment on skin cuts, but it's very noticeable in the eye. Doc gave me a different antibiotic drop and I was much better in only a day.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by kcnboise

First time I had it it wasn't clearing up either with the drops. Went back to the Doc and found out I was allergic to Neomycin, which is fairly common. You don't notice the allergy with triple antibiotic ointment on skin cuts, but it's very noticeable in the eye. Doc gave me a different antibiotic drop and I was much better in only a day.

Exactly the same problem I had, got a different eye drop prescribed, and it worked like a charm.

If it has been three days now, it is time to call the Doctor and get a new prescription.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mild pink eye caused by bacteria vs virus is very hard to diagnose. That's why Dr's usually prescribe antibiotics, to make sure IF it is bacterial it is being treated. Obvious bacterial infections usually have eye pain and copious drainage, usually yellowish and thick pus.
Viral goes away on its own, the problem is it does so whenever it wants.
The Dexamethasone helps with inflammation, but at the same degree it decreases the body's ability to fight back.
Tea bags work, and chamomile tea does better.
Check with your doctor, because it is not clearing and may be something else too (high ocular pressure, different infection vs allergy, etc).

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What is it in tea that helps?

Tannic acid?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
Originally Posted by kcnboise

Exactly the same problem I had, got a different eye drop prescribed, and it worked like a charm.

If it has been three days now, it is time to call the Doctor and get a new prescription.

Called and got a new Rx.

Thanks again all!

Geo

Thomas Jefferson

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Wrong medicine. Oops. I posted this in response to your first post on this thread. It was nice to see by reading further that I was right again. wink

Here's hoping your winker is soon off the blinker.

Last edited by eyeball; 06/27/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
How bout Tobradex?

Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

458 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 52 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,319
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.