Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I'm looking at a mid 90's Winchester model 70 270. It has a synthetic stock with no floor plate.

I don't care for blind flange guns...
What would I need beside another stock to convert it over to hinged floorplate? Are there parts readily available?

The bluing is nice and for $300.00...... I'm tempted.

Last edited by waterdoctor; 06/28/14.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by waterdoctor
I'm looking at a mid 90's Winchester model 70 270. It has a synthetic stock with no floor plate.

I don't care for blind flange guns...
What would I need beside another stock to convert it over to hinged floorplate? Are there parts readily available?

The bluing is nice and for $300.00...... I'm tempted.
I did this about eight years ago with one of those Wal-Fart "Black Shadow" guns. I went with two-piece bottom metal and it required a floor plate, trigger guard, and I seem to remember a new magazine box. (The box may not be necessary.) At any rate, it was a straight bolt on deal. I also replaced the plastic magazine follower, too. (Not necessary, but I wanted to anyway.)

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Nice winchester bottom metal for a reasonable price:

http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/winchesterperf.htm

Your follower and spring should work, I'm not sure about the magazine box, it might have to be replaced but they should be easy enough to find for a reasonable price.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just did a PF '70 with the PTG Obendorf 1 piece and a BC stock.
[Linked Image]

Turned out decent and much prefer 1 piece over 2. Stock came from Redhawk Rifles for $265. Typical BC pre-worn finish with free bumps and bruises included, if you're worried about pretty chit. I like the Ti stocks and chunky wrists so this fit well in the pile.

[Linked Image]

Shoots like a mofo too....

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Waterdoctor, I converted a Mod. 70 with blind magazine and was really surprised at how drop-in it was. I got the B&C Medalist from Stockys along with the gloss blued floorplate (Williams, I believe). Everything that was on the wood stock fit perfectly with the B&C. All I had to do was pop the little aluminum foot off the bottom of the mag spring, toss it and slide the bottom of the spring into the floorplate grooves. Mag box fit great without any trimming or modifications. I did get the 2 new action screws when I ordered, just in case, but did not really need them.

IC B2

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I have a spare factory two piece bottom metal if you want to go that route.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by john843
Waterdoctor, I converted a Mod. 70 with blind magazine and was really surprised at how drop-in it was. I got the B&C Medalist from Stockys along with the gloss blued floorplate (Williams, I believe). Everything that was on the wood stock fit perfectly with the B&C. All I had to do was pop the little aluminum foot off the bottom of the mag spring, toss it and slide the bottom of the spring into the floorplate grooves. Mag box fit great without any trimming or modifications. I did get the 2 new action screws when I ordered, just in case, but did not really need them.

Might be cheaper from Stocky's. The belly on mine was deep as was the inlet for the floorplate, no metal to metal contact. Definitely wasn't a drop in deal. Rear mounting hole needed to be opened up as well. If you do try a 2 piece on a 1 piece stock, your looking at spacers up front and a gap in the rear if I remember correctly

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
So it's the same CRF action; no corners cut there?

Are the triggers adjustable?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by waterdoctor
Are the triggers adjustable?
Yep, same trigger.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

248 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 28 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.