24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
(Edited 'cause I did forgot one MAJOR ingredient in the translation process)

I try to translate the receipe (typical recipe frome Liege) but I'm not sure you can easily find all the ingredients out there.

Warning: hares aren't rabbits. Hares don't live nor hide or bear their young below ground in a burrow. They're much bigger than rabbits too. I'm not sure about the result with rabbit meat which has a very different taste if I compare our hares (lepus europaeus) to our rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus).

The original recipe uses beef or mixed veal and pork. I use only venison. It works well with hare (lepus europaeus) and roe deer (capreolus capreolus).

1. Mix the grinded meat with those ingredients (for 800 g meat): 1 egg, 2 very finely sliced shallots and 80g breadcrumbs) and shape the mix into balls.

2. Melt some butter or cooking butter in a pan, then use it to colour the meat balls on every face. Keep the balls apart for further use.

3. "Deglaze" (not sure about the right cooking term in English) the pan with about 6 soup spoons of wine vinegar and 3 soup spoons of sugar. Add 2 sliced big onions and let them melt for about 3-4 minutes.Add the meat balls on the onions bed then add 2 twigs of thyme 1 leaf of laurel and 2 cloves. Add water up to mid height of your ingredients in the pan. Cover the pan and let shudder for about 20 minutes.

4. Take the meat balls off the pan and take the cloves off too. Add 3 soup spoons of white wheat flour, previously thinned into some water. Add a handful of dry grapes and 5 heavy loaded soup spoons of Liege Syrup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirop_de_Li%C3%A8ge). Add salt and pepper to the right taste.

5. Put the balls back into the sauce for at least 10 minutes before you serve.

I like this served with mashed potatoes ans butter cooked sliced carrots.

Last edited by grand_veneur; 01/03/15.

Va t'in tch�re !
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
we have rabbits(cottontails) and hares(jackrabbits and snowshoe hares)....though ive not noticed a huge difference in flavor between the two but the hares ive eaten have mainly been young ones cause the old ones tend to be kinda stringy...flavor aint bad but the texture leaves something to be desired...

the recipe is fine, 'deglaze' is the right term....though we call 'leaf of laurel' bay leaf....the Liege syrup ive never heard of but going by the description im sure i can come up with something close enough to get in the ball park using apple butter and some other stuff rendered down a bit

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GV, I have been following your adventures. DAMN fine job of it you have done. Sheridan, GV is a HELLUVA guy. My family loves him from his visit here. Follow his dirctions on the chow!!!

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My best wishes to you and the family for this new year, Jim !

Va t'in tch�re !
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
GV, I have been following your adventures. DAMN fine job of it you have done. Sheridan, GV is a HELLUVA guy. My family loves him from his visit here. Follow his dirctions on the chow!!!

I don't know GV except for his posts here. But I have gained some knowledge of the Walloon people. I married one. They eat as well as the French, as much as the Germans and drink more beer per capita then any region in the world. Thanks to GV's pictures I now know that they are hunters as well. All the best in the new year; Mike

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And how long will you wait to visit her homeland again ?

Va t'in tch�re !
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
635 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 65 invisible), 2,797 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,237
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.