Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
People on here always forget that we are not the majority. Everyone that hunts has heard of a 270. Hardly anyone I have talked to has even heard of a 6.5x55, never mind its over 100 years old.

Guess it depends where you live...

John -- in Sweden smile

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Snore... sleep sleep tired

Even birds know not to land downwind!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
People on here always forget that we are not the majority. Everyone that hunts has heard of a 270. Hardly anyone I have talked to has even heard of a 6.5x55, never mind its over 100 years old.

Guess it depends where you live...

John -- in Sweden smile

Great point!

Dumb question, is the 6.5x55 still really popular over there? I have read in the past that it was being pushed aside for the 30.06. Didn't know if there were any truth to that.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
dogcatcher,

True, the 30-06 (and .308) are very popular, likely ahead of the 6.5 x 55 in the forest now.

However, the 6.5 x 55 and the 9.3 x 62 are still very popular too -- and the 9.3 is growing in popularity.

Heck, you can even buy .270 Win ammo quite readily -- it is more common in Europe than many would expect.

John

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool Avatar!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Rick,

You completely missed my point:

The reason 6.5 bullets have an advantage over .270 bullets is the way both evolved. With the multitude of good 6.5 (and 7mm) target bullets that have been out there for decades, plus more recent models, there's been zero reason to develop either .270 bullets or cartridges for long-range target shooting.

If you don't believe me, please provide ONE examples of somebody who developed an entire line of heavy .270 target bullets, plus new cartridges to fire them in fast-twist rifles. You can't, because it's far easier (and more practical) to use what's already been available for a long, long time.

Like Dennis, you're assuming the availability of 6.5mm and 7mm target bullets means there's some sort of magic in 6.5mm and 7mm, and the few hundredths of an inch of bullet diameter between 6.5mm and 7mm is somehow bereft of that magic. That assumption defies logic and the laws of physics.

NO I think you missed my point completely. I said that the 270 Winchester is not as inherently accurate as the 6.5-284 (I believe this is true in any discipline). I also said that it is languishing from whatever accuracy achievement it may have been able to reach because of lack of suitable bullets. I believe there are few good LR bullets because the market isn't there for them because of the slow twist almost all 270 Winchesters are stuck with.

I will stick with my statement about the intrinsic accuracy of the 6.5-284 not the .264 caliber in general. It is crazy to think that some diameter is somehow better than another; physics show that isn't the case. I have shot a lot of 270s [certainly not as many as you] and a lot of 6.5-284s [probably a lot more than you] and I have found it easier to get stellar accuracy from the 6.5-284 than from the 270 Winchester. I have shot ONE 270 WSM and it is pretty accurate. I have shot a lot of .2" groups with 108 Lapuas out of 6.5-284s and that is hardly a long range high BC bullet but it is a dandy. I only say this to show that it isn't just the 140 match bullets that shoot good.

The 270 Winchester has been around a lot longer than the 6.5-284 and it's papa, the 284 Winchester. I still don't see it ever being embraced as a target round whereas the 30-06 has. As German Salazar so succinctly stated; the 30-06 is never a bad choice... It has the same shoulder angle as the 270 I believe.

I don't believe for a minute that Berger puts more tender loving care into their 6.5 bullets than they do into there 270 bullets. I think the ones they make are marginally stable in factory 270 rifles so we will never know how good they are unless we rebarrel with a faster twist. I have gotten some pretty dang good 500 yard groups out of them but there is quite often a flyer which I think might be a result of the lack of stability.

You keep referring to the development of these cartridges from military times and I don't think that makes a bit of difference today. We have consummate tinkerers that will try to make any mousetrap better. They order barrels in whatever twist and rifling profile they think will give them the edge.I think if the 270 Win was all that we would see some use in a matches. On paper it has all the attributes except the short fat case.

I may just have to neck a 6.5-284 up to .277 just to see if it shoots as good!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is the 270 WSM not a better match for the 6.5 284? Is it more inherently accurate than the 270 Win?

Pieter

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jpb
dogcatcher,

True, the 30-06 (and .308) are very popular, likely ahead of the 6.5 x 55 in the forest now.

Thanks for the reply. Ironically, I cashed in my 30-06 for a 6.5x55. Love that round so far.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by m77
Is the 270 WSM not a better match for the 6.5 284? Is it more inherently accurate than the 270 Win?

Pieter

Case capacity of the 270 Win and the 6.5-284 are pretty much the same. That's why I am comparing those too. I have no idea how the 270WSM fares as I have only ever shot one and it is a Tikka t3 light or whatever they are called. It seems pretty accurate to me with the Berger loads we have used.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've shot a 270 for around 35 years. Lately I've switched over to a 260. I live in central Texas and the deer really aren't very big, and I keep deer shots inside 300 to 350. Coyote and pig shots will range to a max of 500 (where the field stops and the woods start). For deer hunting purposes, the only difference in the two calibers is that one pushes a 130 gr Nosler
Ballistic tip at about 3000 fps (in my rifle) and the 260 pushes a 120 gr Nosler BT at about 2800 (in that rifle). BC doesn't matter at that range. What matters is that the 270 is just a bigger hammer than the 260 is. So why do I mostly hunt with the 260 these days? Well, it's a Tikka T3 Lite SS and it's an absolute tackdriver and I now shoot the 100 gr Nosler BT for an all around gun for pigs, coyote, and deer.

If I moved back to eastern Louisiana, where a big buck is 250 pounds or more, I'd go back to the 270. And I don't care a whit about BC, but the faster I drop them, the less tracking I have to do through briars and palmetto and icy water that's always just over the top of my Lacrosse boots.

It's all about what you need the caliber to do for you. If somebody challenged me to a 600 yard shoot for the beer. I'd grab the 260. I really love that little Tikka. Man, that thing will shoot.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
Not sure which 6.5 you talk of. The 6.5 x 284 is very accurate compared to the old 270 without the improved shoulders.

Are you attributing its accuracy to the sharper shoulder? Or is short fat the reason? Or exactly what makes on cartridge more accurate than another? Maybe this should be another thread.
Mule deer explained it probably better than I could in a life time of studying the matter.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
About thirty years ago the gunsmith worked with me on a short fat seven. Long before short fat was in, except for some of our wives. Anyway I purchased a short action Remington and had the bolt opened up to accept a .378 Weatherby. I had Dave Manson, who has his own place now, make a reamer shortening the .378 to 2 1/4" with a 1/4" neck and a 40* shoulder. It held the same amount of powder as my buddies 7mm Coyle wildcat, which later became the 7STW.

Mine had an after market barrel and his was with a factory Remington barrel. Their velocities were about the same, but mine was more accurate. I did the shooting with both rifles and attributed the accuracy of the short fat seven to the after market barrel, not the shape of the cartridges.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You should know that the 270 guys have made provisions within their Wills that their rifles shall be included in their caskets!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
... It held the same amount of powder as my buddies 7mm Coyle wildcatx, which later became the 7STW....

Are you saying your buddy is Layne Simpson, or are you saying your buddy wildcatted the STW before Layne did?

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Am quite sure the 8mm RM case was being wildcatted the day after it was introduced by a whole lot of guys...

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you saying your buddy is Layne Simpson, or are you saying your buddy wildcatted the STW before Layne did?

My buddy, a veterinarian, and I were laying in a tent in the Cascades waiting for the next day. He asked,
"If you could have any caliber you wanted, what would it be?"
"I have a reamer that is an 8 Remington Magnum necked to 7mm. I used it before I made this short fat seven. It could clean up the chamber in your 7mm Remington Magnum."
"After we go hunting let's take my rifle back to town and get it rechambered then."

So he used my reamer. The 'smith didn't know what to call it so he put my name on it. The first gunsmith called it a 7-8 Mag for me.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John,

Is the 1-10 twist the reason the 160 grain .277 NPs are semi-spitzers instead being a bit more pointy (and therefore longer and harder to stabilize)?

You did a fine job of explaining the backgrounds of the various cartridges under discussion here. The problem is the guys you're talking to are in a place where they will never hear you.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Yes the 10 twist is too slow for a long pointed 160 grain spitter in the .277 bore.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why waste time and energy trying to push the river...

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No matter what you dream up in the way of a wildcat,someone else has likely done it.

The 8 Rem Mag is nothing more than a full length and blown out 375H&H case,and people like Art Mashburn necked that case to 7mm years before the STW was given a single thought....likewise the Dubiel 7mm magnums that Elmer was shooting in the 30's.

I would say the 270 has been smothered for target work by the 7mm's and 6.5's but not for BG hunting,since the cartridge kills more BG here and world wide than all the 7mm's and 6.5's all put together. I've used the cartridge on a few head of game out to about 400 yards or so,and seen it used a few more times.It was all pretty uneventful if the shooter knew what he was doing.

Using thousand yard performance to judge the worth of a BG cartridge is silly....most of the people who advocate this view have never killed anything beyond 500...or maybe once.

If you specialize in that sort of thing(or imagine that you do),go get a 6.5 or 7mm and rock on. You aren't going to convince too many 270 fans....they've already killed too many BG animals to listen. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (35, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 44mc, Ashworth, 11 invisible), 1,400 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,260
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.