Print Thread
Hop To
P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
With my apologies for hijacking Pashooter's thread asking about 45-70 target bullets, I thought I'd start one reflecting my recent experience, including a bullet recovered from the sand at 1540 yards.

This is a 535 gr. Buffalo Arms money bullet, cast from virgin lead and tin at 16:1, .444 diameter, patched to .451, which is as close as I can measure the same as the bore of the Badger barrel on my Browning BPCR 45-70.

The load was 80.0 grs. of Swiss 1.5, topped with a a .060 poly wad and a .060 fiber wad. No deep science, just something I put together that worked out well. A successful SWAG.

I've never had a patch failure with this combo, knock on wood, and the accuracy is self evident. Patch releases at the muzzle, and the bullet slugs up to take the rifling engraving nicely.

One thing that is interesting is that the base of the bullet, in addition to being impressed with a perfect image of the twisted patch, also shows slight concave dishing of the original flat base. Obviously, it took a hard hit from the force of the charge. The bullet nose is too deformed to measure the effect of slugging on bullet length, but that would be interesting too.

Paul

[Linked Image]

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Paul,
Thanks again for sharing this.

Do you wet patch or dry patch? What paper do you use and where do you get it?

Finally, would you mind posting a picture of your swab? grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I dry patch. I haven't got the hang of patching smoothly and quickly, or perhaps I am dexterity challenged frown , but I get it done.

I've been using a stash of 9# blue paper from BACO that is no longer available. When it's gone, I'll have to try something else.

Here's a pic of my chamber swab tool. It is threaded for shotgun accessories, and you can use it with either a .410 swab or slotted jag and a patch. I prefer to use patches, and change every five shots or so.

Paul

[Linked Image]

Paul

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks Paul...for the one you sent me years back! It gets regular usage!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Paul I've shot at least a hundred rounds patched both ways as in the pics below but have not noticed any appreciable difference in accuracy unless it should manifest itself at longer ranges...

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B2

P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
If you're talking about wet vs. dry, I've only patched dry so I can't say. So long as the patched bullet chambers OK, and the patch doesn't strip in the bore, and releases after leaving the muzzle, I wouldn't think it would make any significant difference. I try to make the hole at the base pretty uniform, but mine do vary. I try to place the front of the patch just where the ogive starts, but it is hard to get perfect.

Paul

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Started out dry patching but have gone wet lately..just haven't shot enough wet for comparison.

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Recently ordered this book by Paul Matthews..Maybe some helpful info between the covers.

[Linked Image]

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
His book is a good foundation but probably not the last word. Got me started in any case.

I've always done wet patches when wrapping.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the type of paper makes the most difference when wet or dry patching. Cottonrag paper "sizes" nice and hard when wrapped wet and dried. Wood pulp seems to behave itself much better wrapped dry.

Paul you can shave several minutes off of your long range sight settings by patching short of the ogive.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Recently ordered this book by Paul Matthews..Maybe some helpful info between the covers.

[Linked Image]

Hmmm....think he did his 'work' with SP which isn't the same as BP!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Matthews used both smokeless and black, maybe trying to cover all of the bases.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The Paper Jacket is a good read but Rick is right,Paul patched to groove and mostly used smokeless with his ppb loads. As he got into silhouette and blackpowder target shoots he used greasers and bp. It still is enjoyable reading with some good tidbits here and there. MM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ranch13
I think the type of paper makes the most difference when wet or dry patching. Cottonrag paper "sizes" nice and hard when wrapped wet and dried. Wood pulp seems to behave itself much better wrapped dry.

Paul you can shave several minutes off of your long range sight settings by patching short of the ogive.

Agree with that. I loves my cotton, truly.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,888 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,047
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.