Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Anybody have any good deer burger recipes you would like to share. Have trouble keeping the patties stuck together. Seems I read somewhere that people use tapioca for this. Any ideas ?

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
3 parts very well trimmed ground venison. One part well fatted pork shoulder. One green chorizo per pound of the venison pork mixture.

Makes killer burgers and chile.

If you can't handle the heat cut it to 1/2 chorizo. If you can't handle 1/2 chorizo there's always McDonalds.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Just "knead" the ground venison patties for longer. The physical mixing and exposure to oxygen will start the proteins in the raw meat to binding to each other to form a cohesive pattie. If you have added so much fat to the meat that it actually is hamburger(30% fat) you will knead to mix it a lot and maybe even add an egg as a binder. I use straight, well trimmed venison for my grind, knead in some dry spice mix that works, like Mrs. Dash, Tony Cahcere or Montreal steak into 1/4 # patties and they will stay together. Cook it quickly on a hot grill that was cleaned and sprayed with a non-stick spray for grills before lighting. I grind my own, self processed meat so I am not afraid to have it be a little "pink" in the middle and my venison burgers are not tough or "dry" despite the fact they don't drip grease.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Take a little bit of it and grind it to mush in a food processor, or between a wide knife and the cutting board then mix it back in.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use breakfast sausage. 1 part sausage to 2-3 parts venison. season with hamburger seasoning or similar and make thick patties.
cover with pepperjack cheese. have gotten LOTS of compliments on my burgers.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
MILES58 nailed it. Pork adds flavor and moisture.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Starting last year, I quit adding fat to my deer hamburger. Just ran it through the grinder and called it good. Sure makes grinding a lot easier. I have not had any problems getting it to hold together cooking it in a pan. Have not tried it on a grill and could see problems arising there. If you need extra moisture, you could add olive oil, butter, some people put egg white in it. Any number of things. When I cook it, I put salt, pepper, and garlic powder in the meat to taste for a hamburger sandwich. Otherwise for spaghetti I just brown it and season the sauce to taste....same with chili. It is lean, but that is supposed to be a good thing, although some folks probably would not like it.

Fat makes for good taste but the problem I was having was the fat in the deer burger going rancid before we could eat it all. There was some guy on here that was being a real ass about this issue last year or thereabouts...saying he would not contaminate his organic venison with fat and anyone who did was an idiot. I guess he as well as some family members got into my head. I'd reluctantly give the ass his due if I could remember which of our asses it was.

Last edited by RJY66; 07/02/14.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Throw in a little beef suet.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Throw 1 egg and a little olive oil for a pound package.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJY66
Starting last year, I quit adding fat to my deer hamburger. Just ran it through the grinder and called it good. Sure makes grinding a lot easier. I have not had any problems getting it to hold together cooking it in a pan. Have not tried it on a grill and could see problems arising there. If you need extra moisture, you could add olive oil, butter, some people put egg white in it. Any number of things. When I cook it, I put salt, pepper, and garlic powder in the meat to taste for a hamburger sandwich. Otherwise for spaghetti I just brown it and season the sauce to taste....same with chili. It is lean, but that is supposed to be a good thing, although some folks probably would not like it.

Fat makes for good taste but the problem I was having was the fat in the deer burger going rancid before we could eat it all. There was some guy on here that was being a real ass about this issue last year or thereabouts...saying he would not contaminate his organic venison with fat and anyone who did was an idiot. I guess he as well as some family members got into my head. I'd reluctantly give the ass his due if I could remember which of our asses it was.

This is the stuff.

I never grind my venison ahead of time, but rather trim and chunk the cuts to be ground and then vacuum pack and freeze them in meal-sized packages. The packages are placed in the fridge a day or two before cooking to thaw a bit, then ground while half frozen. Burgers are cooked in equal parts butter and canola or olive oil until just pink in the middle. Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Venison is the only burger I eat that's not well done.

Some folks and most commercial packers grind everything but the eyeballs and azzhole, but I trim mine very close and add nothing unless I'm making meatballs or sausage.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

T
tjk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
For the past few years I've been using a tip from one of Eileen Clarke's cookbooks; for each pound of venison burger knead in 1 slice of bread soaked in milk. Holds together even on a grill and really doesn't add any flavor to the burger. Season as you prefer and enjoy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No issues at all with ground venison on the grill. After a bad run from a processor we quit adding fat, and grind our own as lean as we can keep it.

Many fat soluble enzymes are active to 40 below, so long term storage can generate off flavors. Some buddies in science fields store biological samples at 80 below to avoid degradation.

Fat has no binding characteristics what so ever. It's denatured proteins that hold things together with cooking.

Pappy348's suggestion is a good one to perpetuate flavor and reduce freezer burn. A bit of a pain in the ass though to grind small single batches. Along those same lines though, we do not slice our steaks until just prior to grilling.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/02/14.

1Minute
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 1minute
No issues at all with ground venison on the grill. After a bad run from a processor we quit adding fat, and grind our own as lean as we can keep it.

Me too, as far as keeping it lean. One of the reasons I like game meat is that it's healthier, so I don't like to add fat back in. Makes for a dry burger, no doubt, but steelhead's recipe for an egg and olive oil is something I'll be trying.

Personally, I like to use ground venison in chili and spaghetti sauce, it's tailor-made for that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
mix � & � with extra lean ground beef, grill over mesquite. A little easier and more juicy, but leaner than beef and nice flavor

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That sounds good. No mesquite here, but mulberry is in good supply, and works well. I get enough from trimming the trees in my yard to keep me supplied.

Sometimes, I grind the venison and an equal weight of boneless pork chops, then grind the two together with a little salt, pepper, and sage to make a lean sausage. Pretty tasty.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Venison doesn't dry out if you leave it pink in the middle. I do often add olive oil myself as it makes things more mistake proof.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I add 10% beef fat when grinding and have had no problems keeping venison burger for a year. Pork fat is what makes it go bad.

I haven't had any problems grilling my stuff but you do have to handle it care. The slice of bread/milk idea sounds like something to try.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
MILES58 nailed it. Pork adds flavor and moisture.

also pure pork fat can be had for free if your nice to the butcher. Make sure all/all/all/all deer fat is removed from the muscle before grinding and mixing with pork. This will greatly improve flavour.

I used to give away lots for this purpose when I did that work.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If I plan on making patties, I'll split the venison 50:50 with plain beef hamburger. Ground venison used for chile or similar food doesn't get anything added. By not adding any other meats, it's much easier if I decide that I want to make some sausage.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I ground and freeze 100% elk trimmings with no obvious fat. This makes for a burger that is hard to grill the conventional way. So, make your patties, season with your choice and wrap each one in tinfoil. After a few minutes on the grill, open one up to see how they are cooking. When they are nearly done, take them out of the foil and lay on the grill to finish and brown up. By then you can flip them once to brown. The burgers will be moist and a big hit!

I also brown about a pound of burger in a skillet, drain off the water and add my spaghetti sauce and bring things together that way. If the sauce is a little "sharp", add a tablespoon of raw sugar and blend it in. Sweetens it up and gets rave reviews.

Good luck.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 07/02/14.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

406 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 35 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,373
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.