Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Coming full circle....actually considering the 45 ACP again. My opinion is they should have never dropped it.

Handgun article

The U.S. Army is moving forward to replace the Cold War-era M9 9mm pistol with a more powerful handgun that also meets the needs of the other services.

As the lead agent for small arms, the Army will hold an industry day July 29 to talk to gun makers about the joint, Modular Handgun System or MHS.

The MHS would replace the Army's inventory of more than 200,000 outdated M9 pistols and several thousand M11 9mm pistols with one that has greater accuracy, lethality, reliability and durability, according to Daryl Easlick, a project officer with the Army's Maneuver Center of Excellence at Fort Benning, Georgia.

"It's a total system replacement -- new gun, new ammo, new holster, everything," Easlick said.

The Army began working with the small arms industry on MHS in early 2013, but the effort has been in the works for more than five years. If successful, it would result in the Defense Department buying more than 400,000 new pistols during a period of significant defense-spending reductions.

Army weapons officials maintain that combat troops need a more effective pistol and ammunition. But experts from the law-enforcement and competitive shooting worlds argue that tactical pistol ammunition -- no matter the caliber -- is incapable of stopping a determined adversary without multiple shots in most cases.

One of the major goals of the MHS effort is to adopt a pistol chambered for a more potent round than the current 9mm, weapons officials said. The U.S. military replaced the .45 caliber 1911 pistol with the M9 in 1985 and began using the 9mm NATO round at that time.

Soldiers who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan have complained that the 9mm round is not powerful enough to be effective in combat.

"The 9mm doesn't score high with soldier feedback," said Easlick, explaining that the Army, and the other services, want a round that will have better terminal effects -- or cause more damage -- when it hits enemy combatants. "We have to do better than our current 9mm."

The MHS will be an open-caliber competition that will evaluate larger rounds such as .357 Sig, .40 S&W and .45 ACP.

The FBI and several major police departments recently decided to return to using the 9mm round after finding that .40 caliber ammunition was causing excessive wear on its service pistols. The heavier bullet and greater recoil over time resulted in frame damage to well respected makes such as Glock and Beretta, according to Ernest Langdon, a shooting instructor and respected competitive pistol shooter who has worked for gun makers such as Beretta, Smith & Wesson, and Sig Sauer.

"Most of the guns in .40 caliber on the market right now were actually designed to be 9mm originally and then turned into .40 calibers later," Langdon told Military.com.

Langdon served 12 years in the Marine Corps where he was the chief instructor of the Second Marine Division Scout Sniper School and the High Risk Personnel Course. He's been a competitive pistol shooter for 15 years where he has won competitions in the International Defensive Pistol Association and two World Speed Shooting titles.

Larger calibers, such as .40 S&W, have significantly more recoil than the 9mm making them much harder for the average shooter to shoot accurately, he said.

"I don't think anybody would argue that shot placement is the most important for terminal ballistics," Langdon said. "Even though you say a .45 is better than a 9mm, it's still a pistol caliber. Chances are if it is a determined adversary, they are going to have to be shot multiple times regardless of the caliber."

Many law-enforcement shooting incidents have shown this to be reality, he said.

"I talked to a Chicago cop that shot a guy eight times with a .45 to kill him and that was a 230 grain Hydra-Shok," Langdon said. "And that guy now carries a 9mm �he realized that handgun bullets suck. "You have to shoot people a lot with a handgun."

Langdon has trained numerous personnel from all branches of the U.S. military, FBI, Secret Service and other federal agencies as well as state and local law enforcement.

As part of the joint requirement process for MHS, Army weapons officials did a "very thorough cost-benefit analysis" that showed supported the effort, Easlick said.

"We have got an old fleet of M9s right now; it's costing us more to replace and repair M9s than it would cost to go get a new handgun," he said.

The Army spent years on an effort to search for a replacement for its M4 carbine, but ended up adopting the improved M4A1 version used by special operations forces.

Beretta officials maintain that the company has offered to upgrade M9 many times.

"We have submitted numerous changes or product improvements that really address a lot of the shortcomings that are either perceived or real," said Gabe Bailey, Business development manager for Beretta's military division.

The Marine Corps adopted the M9A1 in 2006 that features a rail for attaching lights or lasers, checkering on the front and back of the grip and a beveled magazine well for smoother magazine changes.

Some of the improvements Beretta offered included an enhanced sight system, changing the angle of the slide-mounted safety to avoid inadvertent safety activation and a threaded barrel, Bailey said.

Army officials, however, say the M9 does not meet the MHS requirement.

"The M9 doesn't meet it for a multitude of reasons," Easlick said. "It's got reliability issues; the open slide design allows contaminates in. The slide-mounted safety doesn't do well when you are trying to clear a stoppage -- you inadvertently de-cock and safe the weapon system."

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just read this on Fox

Sounds good

They need one

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well the 1911 in .45 ACP is still the best weapon and caliber in FMJ but it'll take the Army bean counters many decades to come to that conclusion.

I suppose they could consider a machine pistol something along the lines of an MP 38 or MP 40. Maybe even a Sten type gun.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"I talked to a Chicago cop that shot a guy eight times with a .45 to kill him and that was a 230 grain Hydra-Shok," Langdon said. "And that guy now carries a 9mm �he realized that handgun bullets suck. "You have to shoot people a lot with a handgun."

Atta Baby,..8 shots with a .45 and moves to a 9mm for more ammo...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wonder how many servicable 1911's the army still has on hand. I'll bet they have enough to arm everyone who carries a handgun.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Would be nice to see them back with the .45, but I see them going with a .40. No real reason other than they will use the excuse that they could use LEO's ammo, which around here seems to be predominantly .40 cal.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

some of the article is right on, some is just not credible. There is a video floating around I think on youtube of a guy taking three or four rounds of .40s&w in mesa, and then walking himself to the gutwagon. 8 rounds as above, ah, lets see that again.
The beretta m9 dates itself back to the 30's as i remember as to the basic system, and that open top does allow for debri collection, not to mention the safety/decocker mechanism. Friend of mine was a doorknocker in iraq, said they would remove the ball ammo and replace it with winchester jacketed hollowpoints they could buy in the village bazaars, then it worked a lot better. Against the rules tho, you know.
I would suspect there are few, if any, traditional 1911's still around, given they were last produced during WWII.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 07/03/14.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sometimes even big, powerful guns aren't instant. Some years ago, we had a drug bust go bad in the next county over. The perp's live-in girlfriend let the cops in. The guy came out of the bedroom with a 44 mag and shooting. The 1st cop in took one to the chest. Even with that, he managed to get off no less than 28 rounds from his 9mm carbine before he died.

― George Orwell

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

Especially when they miss, as cops seem prone to doing when shooting at something other than a dog.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't buy the Chicago cop shooting a guy 8 times with a 45 and Hyda-Shok, more like 7 misses and one hit. The 45 has a long track record of ending a fight right quick, the only thing is that you have to be able to shoot in the first place. An updated 1911 would be what I would look at. But this gets very very political, the last time they Adopted the Beretta, and from what I understood at the time, the Europeans bought more F-16's or said they would. It this current war, the rules really don't apply since the enemy is a stateless combatant, the last thing I would worry about is offending The guys in Geneva or The Hague! The object is to kill the enemy and not die ourselves.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Army wants a harder hitting handgun

If only such a thing existed... confused

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If they go 45 it'll need to be double stack.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They went to the nine because the 1911 .45 was too big for all the new female soldiers to hold or shoot well. They picked a pistol that was STILL too big for most females to hold properly, but did hurt less - on both ends.

Now they claim they want a cartridge that does more damage - and my bet is that they'll pick a pistol to fire it that is once again too fat for small hands.

If they pick a .40 S&W, the conspiracy crowd will bellow that the real reason is because every other goobermint agent from the FBI to FDA meat inspectors are armed to the teeth with .40s and a bazillion rounds of ammo. "One more step to a police state!"

(They may be right, you understand.)

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
SF CIF companies went to Glocks, both 9mm and 40 S&W, quite a while back. They can access Army inventory 9mm for training and carry the 40's for combat.

As you stated, the gun NEEDS to be a double stack. A Glock 21 is too big for many.

Going back to a 1911 would be like going back to Cocoran Jump Boots and cotton shelter-halves. They both sucked way back when, and they would suck even harder today. The Quantico-built 1911's the MARSOC guys had broke constantly. Their new guns cost over two-grand each, and the one MARSOC guy I talked to recently said he'd swap it for a Glock in a heartbeat.

THE answer, IMO, is a Glock 37 in 45 GAP. That by-passes the large frame issue (G19/17 frame size), has adequate capacity (ten rounds) is cheap, and most importantly, won't break. The Army doesn't have much 45acp ammo left, or 9mm for that matter. Current ammo stores could be quickly depleted by current service guns as the new guns/ammo were brought on line.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
If they go 45 it'll need to be double stack.

And that makes for a lot of steel to carry around, with everything else they are already carrying.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
one of the interesting things about my friend that was in iraq, among other things, he was a registered gunsmith. Which led into all kinds of fascinating things. There were a LOT of .45acp devices floating around for testing purposes among the higher brass, some of them pretty cool. They have started procuring for special ops units some versions of .45's.
I do remember a conversation about handguns with a special forces type just back from the stans. He said he started with a m9, ditched it not because so much he disliked the weapon, but reliability issues in the talcum like dust, went to a hi power, and spent half his tour with a glock 17. His comment was it worked all the time, that was more important than anything else.
course he also did not have ball ammo in it either.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
45 GAP would make a lot of sense, I just wouldn't do it in a Glock.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
45 GAP would make a lot of sense, I just wouldn't do it in a Glock.

I would not do a 45 GAP no way Jose. The 45 ACP is the logical choice in a +P loading.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I wonder how many servicable 1911's the army still has on hand. I'll bet they have enough to arm everyone who carries a handgun.

I'm sure the armorers would be thrilled.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know what the answer is, but do know the M9 is a large, heavy beast for what it is, with a safety that flipped itself off in my holster often not to mention placed too high, with a grip too large for me and many. More important than the round, IMO, is the ergo's. I sincerely hated that POS. Something like the cz sp-01 makes more sense to me as a service pistol design. Nor do I care if it's 9mm or 45acp, as either are well-handled when housed in an appropriate design; the .40 and others, not so much, if they are to be used by "the masses".

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have reviewed a lot of officer involved shootings in the course of the last 10 years or so. 45 ACP, 40 SW, 9mm, 10mm, 38 Special, 44 Special, 44 Magnum, 357 Magnum. Every one of those calibers has failed to stop armed felons before the felons could do more harm. I've debriefed a bunch of cops and military personnel who have given me their stories freely, and the common denominator is shot placement.

Unless you put your handgun bullets into vital anatomy, they won't do any good. Police departments that train their officers in anatomically correct shot placement have found caliber isn't as important as they thought it was.

45 ACP is not the answer, nor is the 1911. I think the 45 is a great cartridge and it would be my choice if I were the guy choosing it. A modernized update of the 1911 single stack concept such as the SIG P220 would be a good choice, but so would others.

The answer lies in training, not in hardware. Our SF guys know this, as do a lot of the better PD's in America.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
They went to the nine because the 1911 .45 was too big for all the new female soldiers to hold or shoot well. They picked a pistol that was STILL too big for most females to hold properly, but did hurt less - on both ends.

Now they claim they want a cartridge that does more damage - and my bet is that they'll pick a pistol to fire it that is once again too fat for small hands.

If they pick a .40 S&W, the conspiracy crowd will bellow that the real reason is because every other goobermint agent from the FBI to FDA meat inspectors are armed to the teeth with .40s and a bazillion rounds of ammo. "One more step to a police state!"

(They may be right, you understand.)

I don't know about the small hands thing in a 1911. We had a lady on the pistol team and she was no giant. She shot as well as any man maybe better sometimes.

I have homunculus hands and the handgun that fits my hands the best is the 1911. If I can shoot a 1911 with my hands anybody can shoot a 1911.

A handgun is for self defense, a battle rifle is for fighting, and a machine pistol is for close in fighting. A handgun is not for fighting as such.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I recall reading the article about the LEO that was in this gunfight......he did land eight hits on the bad guy, not sure how many were "incapacitating" or not.

The gist of the article was that he was down to a couple of rounds in his last mag when he finally stopped the BG.....he ended up switching to a Glock 17 I believe and carries over 100 rounds for it now. He wanted more ROH for extended confrontations.......

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

If a soldier can't carry a rifle for some reason, then I suppose he would want a harder hitting handgun.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
7 shot .357 Magnum S&W 686

I'm sure General Patton would agree....

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tjm10025

If a soldier can't carry a rifle for some reason, then I suppose he would want a harder hitting handgun.

I would want a machine pistol instead or at least a M-1 carbine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gmsemel
I don't buy the Chicago cop shooting a guy 8 times with a 45 and Hyda-Shok, more like 7 misses and one hit. The 45 has a long track record of ending a fight right quick, the only thing is that you have to be able to shoot in the first place. An updated 1911 would be what I would look at. But this gets very very political, the last time they Adopted the Beretta, and from what I understood at the time, the Europeans bought more F-16's or said they would. It this current war, the rules really don't apply since the enemy is a stateless combatant, the last thing I would worry about is offending The guys in Geneva or The Hague! The object is to kill the enemy and not die ourselves.

The story was posted in detail here a couple months ago. The fight was finally stopped by a head shot.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It will be:

Polymer, with a tactical rail, tritium sights, double-stack magazine, and .40S&W.

Frankly, it probably will be the Glock and should have been the Glock back in the '80s. If it had been then, the change-over to another caliber would be child's play and cheap now.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey, I got an idea!!

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 4ager

Frankly, it probably will be the Glock ...

With a thumb safety and a magazine disconnect.

Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I say just issue everyone SIG P220's and call it done.

There....saved millions of taxpayer dollars.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Jim;

I've heard more than once that those little carbines killed mo-better than they should have.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Hey, I got an idea!!

[Linked Image]

It was a great idea especially the M-2 model. I used the M-1 version and it was great for what it was designed for.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mink

+1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
They�re probably looking for any excuse to go to Glock�s because:

1. They�re on all the fashionable tv shows.
2. They�re taticool.
3. They will give the medics and corpsmen practice putting tourniquets on legs with bleeding femoral arteries that were shot on the firing line.

I know I�d be nervous standing next to Bubba/Snuffy Smith/gangbanger raw recruit on each side of me side-holding a pistol without a safety. I�ll believe the military really believes that�s a good idea when they remove the safety off the M4.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C

I agree it's still handgun ammo. Shoot 8 times and still have 8 more in the mag. Works for me. There is no miracle bullet. Maybe they need to use HP's. I think that would help a lot.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I was going to comment on this as well. The most ignorant sentence in that entire piece. Who has ever argued a pistol round has more than marginal lethality. It is the weapon of last resort. The Browning 1911 is #1 for a reason.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Uriah
They�re probably looking for any excuse to go to Glock�s because:

1. They�re on all the fashionable tv shows.
2. They�re taticool.
3. They will give the medics and corpsmen practice putting tourniquets on legs with bleeding femoral arteries that were shot on the firing line.

I know I�d be nervous standing next to Bubba/Snuffy Smith/gangbanger raw recruit on each side of me side-holding a pistol without a safety. I�ll believe the military really believes that�s a good idea when they remove the safety off the M4.

We don't agree on much but you are dead on on this one. I get nervous every time I see someone pull a Glock out of their range bag at the range.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
While I carried a .45 caliber 1911A1 when I was in the Army, I'd recommend the Army opt for a double-action semi-auto shooting a .45 ACP cartridge to replace their M-9 9x19s.

While the .45 ACP does have a heavier recoil which makes it slower t bring down for a 2nd. shot at the same target, it's also a one-shot-stopper, so you don't always need a 2nd. shot.

Just my 2�.........

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am thinking that there will be no change in caliber. The girls and nancy boys that are filling the service rosters now can't shoot anything with power, and as was mentioned, NO handgun cartridge is really a stopper.
I'm betting that they have been hoarding all the .22 LR ammo, with plans in mind to switch to that caliber. laugh

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I am thinking that there will be no change in caliber. The girls and nancy boys that are filling the service rosters now can't shoot anything with power, and as was mentioned, NO handgun cartridge is really a stopper.
I'm betting that they have been hoarding all the .22 LR ammo, with plans in mind to switch to that caliber. laugh

You may have a point Sam.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On the lethality of handgun ammo, obviously an article or two has been written on that, but back around 1913 or so the Germans figured out that if they put a small flat point on their 9mm Parabellum it gave the bullet a far greater shocking effect than a round nose. IIRC the picture accompanying that article showed a truncated cone with a tiny flat point by today's standards, but even that produces a greater trauma than a round nose that pushes aside tissue.

Be that as it may, a lot of handgunners over the years have proven the worth of a flat point SWC style bullet on game of all types. As long as the military has to stay with a FMJ, is there any convention or treaty that says it has to be a round nose?

[Linked Image]

On the other issue, as much as I like the old 1911 it's probably time to go to a Glock since they definitely keep on shooting. Probably need to have a frame mounted ambi-safety ala the 1911. Maybe add a cocking indicator. And a grip safety. Hmm, anybody ever looked at a Springfield XD? wink

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This quote, taken from the aforementioned article, reveals the illusion of a man stopper handgun cartridge, except, of course, for Rancho_Loco. He teaches the experts all about the great myth of mangun stoppers.

"I don't think anybody would argue that shot placement is the most important for terminal ballistics," Langdon said. "Even though you say a .45 is better than a 9mm, it's still a pistol caliber. Chances are if it is a determined adversary, they are going to have to be shot multiple times regardless of the caliber."

That with the greatest probability of of ending a gunfight is a CNS hit, and that's not 100%, exclusive of the cerebellum. A bad guy with his heart no longer pumping can live 8 seconds, long enough to make a good guy room temperature.

The only sure way of surviving a gunfight is to not get in one. That's my primary rule of gunfighting. I'll avoid and walk away.

One of my rules for 98.6 degrees -it's way up there in terms of importance but I'm not sure of its numerical rank- is that in defensive handguns, bigger is better. The more blood out & the more air in and the faster they occur the better.

Back on topic: I'm with you here, Mink. Army should have never abandoned its loyal, tried, and true friend. The 1911A1 in .45 ACP is the king of battle handguns, except, of course, for Rancho_Loco.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by 4ager

Frankly, it probably will be the Glock ...

With a thumb safety and a magazine disconnect.

Probably a good idea. The thumb safety already exists.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis
That's what they're paid to do. If they don't like it, they can apply for a transfer. Isn't that what we hear on 24hr every day?

― George Orwell

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mink: I knew the transition (bribery?) to the 9mm was not going to be successful back when it happened.
Shame so much tax dollars will be wasted.
The 1911 45 is hard to beat for combat/self defense.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by brymoore

No, they didn't. Heavy as [bleep], 8rd capacity. It's time has passed. Model A trucks are cool too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is the Obama administration. I'd be careful they don't give the military some of these in .38 Long Colt.

[Linked Image]

Oh, well, as long as we don't fight any Moros it should be okay...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

On the other issue, as much as I like the old 1911 it's probably time to go to a Glock since they definitely keep on shooting. Probably need to have a frame mounted ambi-safety ala the 1911. Maybe add a cocking indicator. And a grip safety. Hmm, anybody ever looked at a Springfield XD? wink

Yes, and just like Sigs, they don't hold up, yet. The XD is a new platform, and might just be the one to beat. Nothing Sig makes will hold up, and they are an armorer's nightmare.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Yep.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My son is in an outfit with the Navy and he uses the 45 acp in what ever pistol/suppressor he likes at the moment.
But they are chambered in 45.
Seems that the Marines were going back to that caliber a while back.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

"The M9 doesn't meet it for a multitude of reasons," Easlick said. "It's got reliability issues; the open slide design allows contaminates in. The slide-mounted safety doesn't do well when you are trying to clear a stoppage -- you inadvertently de-cock and safe the weapon system."

I figured this out the first 15 minutes I had one of these in hand.

I don't ever see anything replacing my 1911 45.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The original solicitation outlines some of the features the Corps stipulated, such as a single-stack, 7+ round magazine, drop in parts replacement and accuracy guidelines. It remains to be seen how many of these points made it into the requirements document and the actual pistol, however. For example, drop-in parts on a 1911 pattern pistol is widely regarded as an unrealistic requirement.

Does this mean that parts have to be hand fitted?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
On shot placement:

Of course, excellent shot placement is desired. But it has to be good guy shot placement. Bad guy shot placement must be avoided if a good guy wants to go home. Therefore, it is better to not hit the bad guy (tactical movement) if the bad guy doesn't hit the good guy. Hence, a good guy trading his life for a bad guy's ain't a wise gunfight rule.

If you're in a gunfight, it's because a bad guy wants to kill you. It's a pretty wise idea to not help him accomplish his goal. Therefore, never be a good target. Weaver stance, target acquisition, sight alignment, squeeze trigger is old school that should've never made it to class.

Another good gunfight rule that seems to predominate is O'Reilly's Postulate: Murphy was an optimist!

I ain't sure, but I think guys were gun slingers of practical gunfightin' knowledge of the 70's:

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This is the Obama administration. I'd be careful they don't give the military some of these in .38 Long Colt.

[Linked Image]

Oh, well, as long as we don't fight any Moros it should be okay...

Recommendation direct from the Oval Office. sick
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
The original solicitation outlines some of the features the Corps stipulated, such as a single-stack, 7+ round magazine, drop in parts replacement and accuracy guidelines. It remains to be seen how many of these points made it into the requirements document and the actual pistol, however. For example, drop-in parts on a 1911 pattern pistol is widely regarded as an unrealistic requirement.

Does this mean that parts have to be hand fitted?

Duhh! This has ALWAYS been a requirement for a 1911. That is why that gun costs over two grand

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by sackett
Would be nice to see them back with the .45, but I see them going with a .40. No real reason other than they will use the excuse that they could use LEO's ammo, which around here seems to be predominantly .40 cal.
Whichever they go with, stock up on ammo and components NOW.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
SF CIF companies went to Glocks, both 9mm and 40 S&W, quite a while back. They can access Army inventory 9mm for training and carry the 40's for combat.

As you stated, the gun NEEDS to be a double stack. A Glock 21 is too big for many.

Going back to a 1911 would be like going back to Cocoran Jump Boots and cotton shelter-halves. They both sucked way back when, and they would suck even harder today. The Quantico-built 1911's the MARSOC guys had broke constantly. Their new guns cost over two-grand each, and the one MARSOC guy I talked to recently said he'd swap it for a Glock in a heartbeat.

THE answer, IMO, is a Glock 37 in 45 GAP. That by-passes the large frame issue (G19/17 frame size), has adequate capacity (ten rounds) is cheap, and most importantly, won't break. The Army doesn't have much 45acp ammo left, or 9mm for that matter. Current ammo stores could be quickly depleted by current service guns as the new guns/ammo were brought on line.

You really believe your own line of schit. You are a complete idiot

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DocRocket
I have reviewed a lot of officer involved shootings in the course of the last 10 years or so. 45 ACP, 40 SW, 9mm, 10mm, 38 Special, 44 Special, 44 Magnum, 357 Magnum. Every one of those calibers has failed to stop armed felons before the felons could do more harm. I've debriefed a bunch of cops and military personnel who have given me their stories freely, and the common denominator is shot placement.

Unless you put your handgun bullets into vital anatomy, they won't do any good. Police departments that train their officers in anatomically correct shot placement have found caliber isn't as important as they thought it was.

45 ACP is not the answer, nor is the 1911. I think the 45 is a great cartridge and it would be my choice if I were the guy choosing it. A modernized update of the 1911 single stack concept such as the SIG P220 would be a good choice, but so would others.

The answer lies in training, not in hardware. Our SF guys know this, as do a lot of the better PD's in America.

Spot on Doc..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's what I posted on a similar thread, in the Handgun forum:

No way it will be a 1911, even though it's a better choice than the M9. My bet will be either the HK45, or the P227.

Much as we all normal people like the 1911, it's going to be hard for any military officer to walk up to a Congresscritter or bureaucrat and say, "we want a 103 year old design" even if they say it's "reimagined" or whatever smile

If I were Colt, think I'd borrow a page from Sig, and build a 1911 Rail Gun with a slightly wider and longer grip, to allow 10+1 rounds, then pitch that to the military. And I'd call it the Model of 2014.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 07/03/14. Reason: fixt it

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

No, they didn't. Heavy as [bleep], 8rd capacity. It's time has passed. Model A trucks are cool too.

I forgot, the 1911/45 ACP didn't work in WWI, WWII, Korea or Vietnam.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Model A trucks, shelter halves,and brown Cocoran boots worked back then too, well, sort of.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

220's grip is too big. The Beretta also suffers from a fat grip and long trigger reach. I would also bet against the .40 due to recoil. My guess is a 9 or 45 on a polymer frame with interchangeable backstraps and a rail.

Who is John Galt?
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The S&W M&P .45 with a thumb safety would be a great candidate.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I haven't shot 1911s that much probably not more than 5000 rounds a year or so at one point. And most of that through our AL framed Kimber 3 inch ones. Of course that was only for a couple of years that we played with IDPA and IPSC, the wife and I.

But I was worried about the AL frame possibly.

Never saw an issue.

But again it might take more than 20K rounds or so for them to break etc...

Glock... well yeah I got a use for them in certain instances, but just cant' warm up to them all that much.

IF we are not going to 45 acp, and why the hell wouldn't we?, then I wonder 357 Sig might not be the best of all worlds? Not impressed with 40 S/W.

Of course anyone that shoots, should have no issues with a 10mm , that the 40 still wants to be. They simply have to shoot and learn to shoot well, like anyone that risks their life, at the end of any kind of firearm.

What all my 100 pound 4 foot sometihing wife has learned to shoot over the years proves its in the head, and no where else if you can't get used to whatever is provided. Though she/I have never shot any of the nitro express rounds....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The problem is that outside of selected outfits, most people in the military don't shoot much. When I was in the regular Army we did rifle qual once a year (maybe 200 rounds) and if you were issued a pistol it was considerably less ammo then that.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hey, I got an idea!!

[Linked Image]

The only mistake there was that they started with the .32WSL when they should have started with the .351WSL or even the .401WSL as their inspiration. That woulda made the little carbine a real wonder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's time has passed but I always thought an M1 Carbine chambered for a rimless .357 magnum cartridge would be a neat idea. Keep the pressure at 40,000 psi and you could get some real whomp out of a 158 grain bullet. Of course that almost duplicates the .351 WSL but that one is just a tad long for the carbine receiver (I think), whereas the .357 OAL is about the same as the .30 Carbine. Plus you could use all of the .357 diameter bullets available instead of an oddball .352" bullet.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Model A trucks, shelter halves,and brown Cocoran boots worked back then too, well, sort of.

Sure, mention items no one uses anymore. How about the M2 or M16, both over 50 years old and still in use.

The USMC did extensive testing and came back to the 1911/45ACP as a proven battle weapon. The army, well, they'll probably [bleep] it up again, just like they did with its camo decisions.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I wonder, how applicable the preferences of a bunch of lifelong shooting enthusiasts are to a handgun to be used mostly by people that are not shooters?

Once upon a time our military benefited from a pool of personnel that had a much higher proportion of shooters. Now much of it will have never fired a round until their military training.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A 1911 with an extra capacity magazine chambered in 45 Colt loaded with a 250 grain cast Keith flatnosed bullet at 950 fps would knock just about anything on its azz.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They have more money than to know how to wisely spend.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by pal
They have more money than to know how to wisely spend.

And that's sure the truth. They change camo patterns once a year, it seems.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

The USMC did extensive testing and came back to the 1911/45ACP as a proven battle weapon.

The USMC didn't test a damn thing. Some one cooked up the idea of taking mothballed 1911's and reworking them at Quantico. Those guys can build a rifle that'll shoot but the didn't/don't know schidt from shinola about 1911's, and when the guys started shooting the hell out of them, the hardest working SOB in the unit was the armorer. He didn't get much sleep when a bunch of them were on the range all day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rovering
" ... Once upon a time our military benefited from a pool of personnel that had a much higher proportion of shooters. Now much of it will have never fired a round until their military training."

Same today with most police departments, Federal, State, and local.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They went to the nine because the 1911 .45 was too big for all the new female soldiers to hold or shoot well. �

If they opt for a smaller grip that Private Benjamin can hold, it'll need milder ammo for her to be able to shoot it without a lot of pain.

The titanium-frame .38 and .357 revolvers are a dream to tote, torture to shoot.

There's just no way to make shooting bland on the hand and devastating on Ahmed's and Mahmoud's chests. The immutable facts of physics get in the way.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
They went to the nine because the 1911 .45 was too big for all the new female soldiers to hold or shoot well. �

If they opt for a smaller grip that Private Benjamin can hold, it'll need milder ammo for her to be able to shoot it without a lot of pain.

The titanium-frame .38 and .357 revolvers are a dream to tote, torture to shoot.

There's just no way to make shooting bland on the hand and devastating on Ahmed's and Mahmoud's chests. The immutable facts of physics get in the way.

Good point

Snake

Friedrich Nietzsche
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

We'll now that just isn't PC at all now is it?

Whack his PP!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by dodgefan
The problem is that outside of selected outfits, most people in the military don't shoot much. When I was in the regular Army we did rifle qual once a year (maybe 200 rounds) and if you were issued a pistol it was considerably less ammo then that.

I was a Huey crewchief from 82-84. NEVER saw an M16 after basic training. Was issued a Ruger Security Six 38 Spcl.
Had to qualify once a year. 25 rounds for practice and 25 rounds for score .

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I was a unit armorer back in the day (late '70s, early '80s) and the 20 1911A1s in our armsroom were worn-out beyond repair, in all reality.

35-40 years of "training" with them, and some usage, and they were all but historical relics. I only had FIVE of the twenty, that we could qualify with, the others weren't functional. I tried to get them fixed "No parts available" was the tired old refrain back then.

The only parts I could get from upper echelon depots were magazines and the brown plastic grips. That was IT.

As I was supposed to be issued one, "if the balloon went up", I bought myself a LWT Commander and learned to shoot it.

Maybe the Army could rebuild a passel of them, but those I had weren't going to be rebuilt, they were good for scrap only.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I did 24 years in the military. Shot both the M1911A1 and the M9. Here's my two cents... There's no sense in issuing new pistol of any caliber unless and until the military properly trains the troops to use them. Small arms training is minimal, short, and poor. The pistol is only a tool.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd like to meet the man who took seven 230grain hydroshocks and wouldn't go down..I want him ony zone dodge team!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
I did 24 years in the military. Shot both the M1911A1 and the M9. Here's my two cents... There's no sense in issuing new pistol of any caliber unless and until the military properly trains the troops to use them. Small arms training is minimal, short, and poor. The pistol is only a tool.

Right on!

It may be only a drop per gallon, but the upper echelons of American politico-military psyche are severely tainted with distrust of handguns in the hands of individuals.

Can't have 'em in the barracks.

Can't cultivate familiarity with 'em (let alone interest or [gasp!] hobby-level enjoyment).

It'd make more sense, IMHO, to encourage every boot to become a dedicated and skillful pistolero.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Troops who need a handgun should be issued a machine pistol. A machine pistol would be easier to learn how to shoot with limited training they get. Just make sure the machine pistol has a burst control device.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Everytime an SF team goes through SFAUC, which is typically every other year, he'll shoot at least 2500 rds through his pistol. The quality of the training varies, as the instructors come and go. Some guys get to go to Bill Rodger's course in Elijay GA. That is a 3K rd course. So, SOME guys are getting decent handgun training.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always recall Dad's comments on his guns in WWII. He had a Springfield, shot it Expert and liked it. After the AAC realized he was a skilled mechanic he was sent to England to keep B17's flying. At some point they requisitioned his 03 and gave him an M1 Carbine, which he hated. In his words, "I pulled rank (he was a Master Sergeant and line chief by then) went to the armorers and traded it for a Thompson" He liked the Tommy Gun smile He also had a 1911 at one point, and always liked them, as well.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
One thing glaringly missing from the story was any real discussion of bullets vs. caliber. As long as our troops are mandated to use ball ammo instead of modern LEO JHP ammo, common sense dictates... The bigger the hole, the better. Another vote for .45 ACP here, regardless of platform.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
While the 1911 in 45 ACP is a proven combination, unless it is going to be just a stop-gap measure, they'll come up with an entirely new weapon and round.... just my opinion!

Phil

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Anything to spend stupid amounts of money, without gaining anything at all.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Not necessarily, as far as I know the 1911 has never been used against troops wearing body armor such as our own troops wear.

Phil

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The body armor our troops are issued will stop any service caliber handgun round. Hell, they'll stop 7.62x39 and 5.56 (non- armor piercing rounds).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They want low recoil for women troops and/or non-experienced males, penetration of body armor (although maybe not the solid plate armor which even a rifle won't penetrate), high capacity magazines, etc. Lightweight ammo wouldn't hurt either.

I'll make a broad statement and say that for the USA, the 20th Century belonged to the .45 ACP - an auto pistol version of the "big, slow and heavy" .45 Colt. Perhaps in the 21st Century it might be time to look at the 5.7x28.

I don't know a whole lot about the round other than its metric designation but just throwing it out there to get out of the 9mm-40-45 box.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
That was exactly my point, the 1911 hasn't been up against body armor, and unless up close, it's too sloppy for an accurate head shot or even accurate placement for a disabling shot in the arm or leg area!

And maybe the army figures in the future we might be going up against better equipped aggressors!

Phil

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Glock; Are you listening?

.45 ACP with 9 or 10 round (slightly staggered) magazine capacity and grip circumference similar to the 1911 so that average hands could handle the weapon easier and have better control. Overall size of the weapon would be similar to the commander sized pistols.

Barrel length should be between 4 1/2 and 5 inches and threaded muzzles should be standard or at least options. Tennifer treatment should be standard. Maybe offer a semi-accurized package that would still be reliable under field conditions.

You could have options available-grip adaptors, night sights, IR lasers. Use your basic, proven, striker fired system. Caliber options might include--let your imagination work here. Yahoo!!!!

Last edited by Buckaroo; 07/03/14.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
10 to 1 anything considered will be run through all NATO countries and will be a joint effort...

Phil

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A glock 40 would be hard to beat, naturally the numbnuts will need a safety of some sort. I cannot see them adopting the Croatian XDS. Which is a wish and fancy pistol anyway.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The Army had a solisitation out a few years back for a new sidearm, I believe it was called the JSOC pistol. It was to be a .45 acp double stack, polymer type pistol. I remember reading about FN's version that was submitted, it was widely thought to be the front runner at the time. Army dropped the project due to budget issues, now we're back talking about it again.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The XD Springfield 45 would be the best to replace the Beretta

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis
The 1911 is considerably easier to maintain than the M9. But one of the Tupperware guns would be easier.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
There is no shame in someone getting the answer before you.
All the army needs to do is follow the Corps example.
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

From what I remember, Slick Willie had all the Military 1911's cut up for scrap metal while he was in office, as he did not want them sold as Military Surplus, like M1 Garrands, were.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I'd like to meet the man who took seven 230grain hydroshocks and wouldn't go down..I want him ony zone dodge team!

Crack vs. multiple hits = oh scheist!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

I understand that part. Unfortunately tha tmeans folks issued a 22 pistol would suck easily as well as a 9 or 45

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I was at Beretta armorers school between the two military tests for the 9mm contract competition. Beretta won the first, S&W cried foul and Beretta won the re-test.
The 9mm was accepted to be more NATO compliant, carry more rounds per pound and to allow for success to the non-shooters in the military.
I guess they have changed their mind.

Same government thinking that created the 10mm after the Miami bank robbery debacle. No plain clothes FBI's wanted to carry it, it was too heavy and hard to conceal. Hence, the birth of the 40S&W.

Now, where did the phrase FUBAR come from? Never mind.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 07/03/14.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

From what I remember, Slick Willie had all the Military 1911's cut up for scrap metal while he was in office, as he did not want them sold as Military Surplus, like M1 Garrands, were.

He didn't get the 3 trees in the armory at Camp Foster in Okinawa.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I was a unit armorer back in the day (late '70s, early '80s) and the 20 1911A1s in our armsroom were worn-out beyond repair, in all reality.

35-40 years of "training" with them, and some usage, and they were all but historical relics. I only had FIVE of the twenty, that we could qualify with, the others weren't functional. I tried to get them fixed "No parts available" was the tired old refrain back then.

The only parts I could get from upper echelon depots were magazines and the brown plastic grips. That was IT.

As I was supposed to be issued one, "if the balloon went up", I bought myself a LWT Commander and learned to shoot it.

Maybe the Army could rebuild a passel of them, but those I had weren't going to be rebuilt, they were good for scrap only.

If you couldn't get parts, how do you konw they were not repairable? I'm not saying you are wrong, but asking for repair parts indicates the thought they were serviceable. Not getting parts is different than a piece that can't be repaired.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Because, it was the Army that said so, and it was the Carter era, and that was that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Absolutely. The Army is too full of its own institutional stupid to acknowledge that the familiarization they teach isn't gunfighting doctrine and that they need to look outside their organization to the one's who've gotten it right.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
One thing glaringly missing from the story was any real discussion of bullets vs. caliber. As long as our troops are mandated to use ball ammo instead of modern LEO JHP ammo, common sense dictates... The bigger the hole, the better. Another vote for .45 ACP here, regardless of platform.

The surest way to increase handgun lethality against insurgents would to issue 9mm ammo with expanding bullets. Terrorists are not party to the Geneva Convention.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Personally, I think the .357 Sig round would be the optimum caliber for Military use. Better Penatration and bigger round capacity, or the ability to carry more rounds in the handgun platform. But those in charge of securing Military Contracts are not known for IQ or common sense. So we can pretty much rule out them going to a handgun in .357 Sig.

Here's what I posted on the other thread on the same subject :

The Military will buy the cheapest POS with the lowest bid, just like they did with the M9. They won't buy Sigs because they are too expensive. They won't buy 1911's because they are too expensive.

It will come down to either the S&W M&P or the Glock, IMO.

It would be nice if they went with a an American MFG, for a change.
Personally, I'd prefer the Ruger SR9 or SR45 over any M&P or better yet, a Ruger 1911, in .45 acp, of course.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/03/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
They had the best and schitt-canned it!!

DUMBAZZES!!

Dumb [bleep] in the USARMY and politics is why we got stuck with a friggin 'turtle gun' for a Service Rifle!!

Last edited by RMulhern; 07/03/14.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The Army hadn't bought any M1911A1 pistols since WW2. The ones I used to shoot were worn out junk. They had to be replaced after forty years on use.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I understand this was invented to use against modern body armor. I've seen one of these in civilian mode used and boy is it loud. In police and military mode it's available in in full auto. It must be a real blaster.

http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/handguns/five-seven/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder how they'll convince NATO to join? Germany is still really butthurt that we rejected their 5.7mm

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

The surest way to increase handgun lethality against insurgents would to issue 9mm ammo with expanding bullets. Terrorists are not party to the Geneva Convention.

Yep Speer Gold Dots or Federal HST's would fix the problem...

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
As to one posters statement about using hollow points...

Link

Phil

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

They just sent some out to rural PDs and Sheriff's Dept's awhile back, last year, along with M16A1s, and vehicles. Slick Willie didn't have them scrapped.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gmsemel

From what I understand we didn't sign the part that restricts the bullets. They just stupidly chose to follow it.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My vote is for an AR pistol. Same ammo. Same magazines. Seriously, why not?
Give them a single point sling so they can hang it under their arm or off their LBE.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by conrad101st
Give them a single point sling so they can hang it under their arm or off their LBE.

Seriously you would want them to carry an M4 and then another AR pistol? Why not just shoot them with the M4?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not for riflemen, just for people who don't have a rifle. Same concept as the M1 carbine or the grease gun.

Conrad101st
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
yup, every time I take a POS Glock apart I realize it probably costs about 50 cents to make them, but a Glock 17 or 19 is a shootin machine. I have tried every 10mm, and 45ACP they make and just don't like them. The 40's are good but snappy and I would not shoot reloads in them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by reelman
Seriously you would want them to carry an M4 and then another AR pistol? Why not just shoot them with the M4?

That leads to an interesting point, with that little M4 available what would (should) the military expect of a pistol for general issue anyway? Personally I wouldn't want to bring a pistol to an assault weapon fight. Firepower, accuracy, body armor, weak cover and all that sort of stuff.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
45acp, but not a 1911. Glock or S+W M+P. I know the Glock will stand the trials, even though I prefer the S+W myself.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Because, it was the Army that said so, and it was the Carter era, and that was that.

So they were repairable then.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Personally, I think the .357 Sig round would be the optimum caliber for Military use. Better Penatration and bigger round capacity, or the ability to carry more rounds in the handgun platform. But those in charge of securing Military Contracts are not known for IQ or common sense. So we can pretty much rule out them going to a handgun in .357 Sig.

The Military will buy the cheapest POS with the lowest bid, just like they did with the M9. They won't buy Sigs because they are too expensive. They won't buy 1911's because they are too expensive.

Personally, I'd prefer the Ruger SR9 or SR45 over any M&P or better yet, a Ruger 1911, in .45 acp, of course.

I think Ruger should still pay for Bill's anti gun stance in the 90s... and not get the contract, but then again, a US gun vs a foreign one, maybe I can forget the 90s.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by jwp475

Yep.

All this was studied from 1898 to 1908.

Improvments:

Truncated FMJ bullets to meet all the rules.
Bump up to +P loads.

The sidearm is not a battle weapon. Simple as that.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I never understood why the 1911 was replace in the first place and the 45 ACP was shelved in favor of the 9mm since NATO countries were using it... the 45 worked well for its intended purpose.. it was reliable and well designed...

another 25 year social experiment by Washington that failed...

I have a 1927 built 45 ACP/1911... I wouldn't trade it for 5 Glocks of the caliber of my choice....this thing is built like a 53 Buick... lot of metal and tough....and the capability of any 45 ACP round needs no explanation unless someone doesn't know squat about a pistol round...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
A pistol is an intermediate weapon who's only purpose is to allow you to fight long enough to acquire a rifle.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They want low recoil for women troops and/or non-experienced males, penetration of body armor (although maybe not the solid plate armor which even a rifle won't penetrate), high capacity magazines, etc. Lightweight ammo wouldn't hurt either.

I'll make a broad statement and say that for the USA, the 20th Century belonged to the .45 ACP - an auto pistol version of the "big, slow and heavy" .45 Colt. Perhaps in the 21st Century it might be time to look at the 5.7x28.

Uh huh. What do you think the stopping power is like when you can put a 3 round burst into a BG's eyeball at 25 yards?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
with the amount of training and in combat situations, even if the gun is one hole group capable, putting a round or 3 in the head or eye is not in reach for about any of the shooters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK, I'll admit it wasn't a handgun, but a full-auto PS90 with a dot on it takes very little training.

I'd bet I could get 1/2 of a class of girls to hit a golf ball at 25 yards with it within 8 hrs of training.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

A lot of units do have 10.5in uppers, great for mounted stuff. That is still no substitute for a handgun.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by BarryC
OK, I'll admit it wasn't a handgun, but a full-auto PS90 with a dot on it takes very little training.

I'd bet I could get 1/2 of a class of girls to hit a golf ball at 25 yards with it within 8 hrs of training.

That pistol just makes too much sense...

ETA: I was referring to the FN five seven..

Last edited by Middlefork_Miner; 07/04/14.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I've always wondered why the 357sig didn't catch on mo better than it did. I have very little interest in hand-guns but that 357sig sure looked like it was the sweet spot for hi-cap plastic guns.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Now that makes a lot of sense based on the types of fighting done today.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not for riflemen, just for people who don't have a rifle. Same concept as the M1 carbine or the grease gun.

That idea is not as crazy as it sounds. I did a quick search and there are a number of companies with models already out there. Sig, KelTec, Rock Island, etc.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by reelman

That leads to an interesting point, with that little M4 available what would (should) the military expect of a pistol for general issue anyway? Personally I wouldn't want to bring a pistol to an assault weapon fight. Firepower, accuracy, body armor, weak cover and all that sort of stuff.

That's an interesting point. I guess in the back of my mind I've been thinking that myself. It would seem any pistol today would have to use armor piercing ammo to be effective.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ringworm
A pistol is an intermediate weapon who's only purpose is to allow you to fight long enough to acquire a rifle.

There's a lot of truth in that statement. if one looks at all the WWII pictures of fighting airborne generals that jumped with the troops they all carry either M-1 Garands or 03 Springfields. In fact, General Ridgeway saved himself from capture because he was carry an M-1 with armor piercing ammo. He was out taking a wiz when he was attacked by a German tank trying to capture him alive. He figured what the hell and shot the tank driver through the tank. The tank went out of control and he escaped. Imagine if all he had was a 1911.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Seafire
I never understood why the 1911 was replace in the first place and the 45 ACP was shelved in favor of the 9mm since NATO countries were using it... the 45 worked well for its intended purpose.. it was reliable and well designed...

another 25 year social experiment by Washington that failed...

I have a 1927 built 45 ACP/1911... I wouldn't trade it for 5 Glocks of the caliber of my choice....this thing is built like a 53 Buick... lot of metal and tough....and the capability of any 45 ACP round needs no explanation unless someone doesn't know squat about a pistol round...

The 9mm had its own NATO pressures. The reason the 92F was picked was because we needed medium range missiles in Italy at the time. Not a well know fact but a firm belief back then by some Admirals and Generals of that era.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by derby_dude

There's a lot of truth in that statement. if one looks at all the WWII pictures of fighting airborne generals that jumped with the troops they all carry either M-1 Garands or 03 Springfields. In fact, General Ridgeway saved himself from capture because he was carry an M-1 with armor piercing ammo. He was out taking a wiz when he was attacked by a German tank trying to capture him alive. He figured what the hell and shot the tank driver through the tank. The tank went out of control and he escaped. Imagine if all he had was a 1911.

Let's see, Sherman tanks armed with a 75MM CANNON couldn't punch through the armor of a German tank, so this guy did it with a 3006 and AP ammo? Calling bullshit..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Let's see, Sherman tanks armed with a 75MM CANNON couldn't punch through the armor of a German tank, so this guy did it with a 3006 and AP ammo? Calling bullshit..

And is that why they recently did away with the AT4 and brought back the M1?..... grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My guess is they'll go with an M&P in .40 S&W.

For the last 15 years, I've carried a P226 in my flight vest with two mags, and I've felt very comfortable with it. If I ever have to use it, I've had to ditch the aircraft somewhere bad, and I like the capacity of the 9mm in that situation.

Personally, I find a Glock 17 in .357 SIG to be about the best combo available (one lives in my nightstand), but you couldn't teach 75% of active duty personnel to shoot that cartridge well.

Chris
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by richardca99

Personally, I find a Glock 17 in .357 SIG to be about the best combo available (one lives in my nightstand), but you couldn't teach 75% of active duty personnel to shoot that cartridge well.

Agreed, but that would be the Glock 31, except in a REAL Caliber wink

I've got one that lives on my night stand with a Streamlight Lazer / Light Combo on it.

The mid sized version, the Glock 32 lives in the console of my F-250.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Well Ridgeway was a decorated general and did replace MacArthur in Korea so if he said so it's so. He also said he didn't think the 06 AP round would penetrate the tank but figured what the hell did he have to lose.

It's a proven fact the high speed AP rounds will penetrate amour that slow rounds will not do. Also, IIRC, it wasn't a Tiger tank, maybe a Panther or earlier. I don't have the history of the 82nd Airborne any more to check.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Looking at pictures of German WWII tanks each appears to have a viewing slit for the drivers to see. Some also appeared to have a periscope in addition.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62%C3%9725mm_Tokarev
7.62x25

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Their a little slow on the draw on this one.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by richardca99

Agreed, but that would be the Glock 31, except in a REAL Caliber wink

I've got one that lives on my night stand with a Streamlight Lazer / Light Combo on it.

The mid sized version, the Glock 32 lives in the console of my F-250.

Right...sorry. Confused my Glocks...the 31.

Chris
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think the Ridgeway incident happened with an armored car, not a tank, but I might be mistaken (and it might have been Gen. Gavin, who carried a 1903, at least in Sicily, as I have some photos of him in a book with a Springfield).

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
All pistol cartridges are pretty poor stoppers with ball ammo. I'm not sure changing cartridges will netter much. Now changing pistols is a fine idea.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I know it is blasphemy but the capacity of the 1911 is its Achilles heel. High cap, low cost, "manstopper", easy to shoot and fit the gender neutral army: Glock 23 or some other companies version of it.

NRA Life Member
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Aught to be a 40 cal something if they wanna look less stupid.

Trump Won!
Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunner500
Aught to be a 40 cal something if they wanna look less stupid.

I would think with the pressure levels involved with that caliber, and the conditions we would expect a new sidearm to operate in, we might see many more failures. Just a thought.

Not to mention I would expect the females in the armed forces to have more of an issue with its recoil.

**not to side-track this into a discussion of females in the armed forces. grin **

Last edited by Mink; 07/05/14.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
40's will rip out pretty well, dont know about the meshing with the filly shooters though, their looking less stupid part comes from the a$$holes already having a billion rounds of that bought.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Got no particular horse in this discussion, but the article in the OP is drivel.

Combat handguns are facilitators, little more. They bridge the gap of extemporaneous need. Per usual, it's not the weapon as much as it is the operator.

That said, the 9mm pretty much sucks swamp water when all things are considered.

DD

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Dad always said his sidearm was for use on himself so anything would do. <G>

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yep the Army is looking for a hardware solution to a software problem. In general the regular Army doesn't need anything special for a pistol. I'm not a Glock fan personally but from what I understand the service life is outstanding. Personally I was fine with the M9 and would of been fine with the Glock or a newer 1911.

Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Not to get into the merits of a sidearm in general, but I see this as an opportunity for them to get it right (again). IMO we should have never deserted the 1911 platform, or at a minimum the 45 acp. Room for improvement? Sure, but no different in the current selection.

Not a big fan of striker fired plastic pistols in the environments we expect our guys to operate, or the people we expect to operate them, but that is an opinion.

A new steel 45 acp is the answer to the question. But the real question is will they be able to see that without politics or bean counting figuring in. Doubtful.

YMMV

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yep the Army is looking for a hardware solution to a software problem. In general the regular Army doesn't need anything special for a pistol. I'm not a Glock fan personally but from what I understand the service life is outstanding. Personally I was fine with the M9 and would of been fine with the Glock or a newer 1911.

My Dad and Uncles carried ruskie and german weaponry in nam-bodia, wore enemy clothing, and got orders from Men called Westy and Plaster. smile

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I know that MACV-SOG packed a variety of weapons. No 2 ways about it those guys were straight up warriors in every sense of the word.
I met a few guys that served in MACV-SOG when I was at Ft Bragg. Even got to meet and BS with a few that did the Son Tay raid.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Some insight:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout#Weaponry_and_injuries

I know for a fact, because I had a friend that was in the US Marshall's Service that was involved in testing of handgun rounds shortly after this shootout occurred that all of the various rounds used by the FBI in this incident, including the pistol round that was adopted WOULD NOT penetrate the slanted windshield of a same model Monte Carlo used by the perps. The ONLY ROUND that DID penetrate was the .45 230 gr. hardball!

Why am I not surprised??

Even birds know not to land downwind!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I can't remember where I've learned this: officers of foreign, especially Nazi, armies, carried handguns to kill their own soldiers. The US Army adopted the 1911A1 in .45 ACP as a battle weapon to kill soldiers of opposing armies.

Hence, a foreign military officer didn't need a battle weapon to shoot one of his soldiers in the nape of his neck.

It's a no brainer. Get back to the M1911A1 in .45 ACP.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Body armor is and will be more prevalent.

Therefore this....FN 5.7

High caps and easy to shoot.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

A new steel 45 acp is the answer to the question. But the real question is will they be able to see that without politics or bean counting figuring in. Doubtful.

YMMV

How many 14-16hr days have you spent in full kit, IE body armor/plates combat load out? Choosing not to reduce an operator's kit by 20 ounces, in a fit of "nostalgia", is straight up stupid. Army SF has already answered this question for themselves, they chose the Glock.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RMulhern
Some insight:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout#Weaponry_and_injuries

I know for a fact, because I had a friend that was in the US Marshall's Service that was involved in testing of handgun rounds shortly after this shootout occurred that all of the various rounds used by the FBI in this incident, including the pistol round that was adopted WOULD NOT penetrate the slanted windshield of a same model Monte Carlo used by the perps. The ONLY ROUND that DID penetrate was the .45 230 gr. hardball!

Why am I not surprised??

I seen a few dozen automobile windshields shot with 9mm, from inside the vehicle and from the outside. I've never seen GI 9mm ball NOT penetrate, ever.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by RMulhern
Some insight:
...all of the various rounds used by the FBI in this incident, including the pistol round that was adopted WOULD NOT penetrate the slanted windshield of a same model Monte Carlo used by the perps. The ONLY ROUND that DID penetrate was the .45 230 gr. hardball!

And how exactly is this relevant?

In the first place, the FBI agents at the Miami gunfight did not at any time attempt to shoot through the windshield of any of the cars involved. Their shot opportunities were through the open driver's window of the Monte Carlo, or at Platt as he exited the vehicle (during which he took the lethal hit from Dove's 9mm) or as he moved around the vehicles.

In the second place, if we're discussing current ammunition for current weapons such as a new military sidearm, the ammo offerings in 1986 are irrelevant. I've been present for T&E of many modern service caliber rounds, and aside from the .380, just about any 9mm, 357 SIG, or 40 S&W service round will reliably penetrate angled windshield glass and perform to FBI specs in gelatin thereafter.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've been present for T&E of many modern service caliber rounds, and aside from the .380, just about any 9mm, 357 SIG, or 40 S&W service round will reliably penetrate angled windshield glass and perform to FBI specs in gelatin thereafter.

But them bullets do some crazy, counter-intuitive stuff, don't they?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you are referring to the way they refract, it's pretty straightforward physics and you can train for it. If you're shooting outside at a target inside, your bullets will hit above your point of aim by a few inches, so you aim low. Vice versa from inside. Training, not intuition.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've used 3 different handguns in the military. 1911's when I joined, Beretta M9 a bit later and finally the a Sig P229 in 40 the last 8-10 years.

Loved the 1911, Hated the M9 and was ambivalent about the Sig.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If you are referring to the way they refract, it's pretty straightforward physics and you can train for it. If you're shooting outside at a target inside, your bullets will hit above your point of aim by a few inches, so you aim low. Vice versa from inside. Training, not intuition.

Roger that. If a dude is six feet or so in from you and draws down on you, aim for his pelvis (The more angled the windshield is the more dramatic this effect is. So, a Jeep windshield won't cause this marked shift of impact)
The first round, maybe the second, will hit him in the sternum, most likely. Once you poke a hole the bullets will fly true. So, if you are shooting at a moving target and breaking glass each shoot, you've gotta aim low.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Well Ridgeway was a decorated general and did replace MacArthur in Korea so if he said so it's so. He also said he didn't think the 06 AP round would penetrate the tank but figured what the hell did he have to lose.

It's a proven fact the high speed AP rounds will penetrate amour that slow rounds will not do. Also, IIRC, it wasn't a Tiger tank, maybe a Panther or earlier. I don't have the history of the 82nd Airborne any more to check.

Keep digging, the Panther came AFTER the Tiger and there is NO WAY, NO WAY an 06 AP round will penetrate even a PKW III even. Your "proven facts" are legion around here. lol. BTW, ever look up Pinochet and Franco? feel free to apologize when you do...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

YMMV

How many 14-16hr days have you spent in full kit, IE body armor/plates combat load out? Choosing not to reduce an operator's kit by 20 ounces, in a fit of "nostalgia", is straight up stupid. Army SF has already answered this question for themselves, they chose the Glock.

Look friend, perhaps you are clueless as to what an "opinion" and "YMMV" means. But then I don't have the time or the patience to educate you, so in light of that I will just leave you with this. GFY!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

YMMV

Look friend, perhaps you are clueless as to what an "opinion" and "YMMV" means. But then I don't have the time or the patience to educate you, so in light of that I will just leave you with this. GFY!

So, I guess that means none.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Issue PFC Susie a 1911 with a full magazine � and a 36-inch lanyard firmly attached so that she can swing it 'round 'n' 'round while she's shrieking.

"Good enough" isn't.

Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

YMMV

So, I guess that means none.

How many hours have you spent riding a ship through heavy seas, running simulated small boat attacks on combat vessels, standing watch on a ship at sea, working in the oilfield, spending hours on end in full dress out during GQ drills?

See I can ask questions too. The question is pointless when you frame it to where you and a select few are the only ones that can answer it. That does not mean that someone cannot have an opinion on a general matter, of which this is.

Please point out to me where the SF, or wannabe's, are the only one's being considered in this article.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Please point out to me where the SF, or wannabe's, are the only one's being considered in this article.

I've logged a bit of RB-15/Zodiac time in my day. Most of it I'll admit was lobstering, snorkeling, and wake-boarding (takes real talent behind a 35hp rubber boat).

Army SF, unlike the rest of the Army, has the means and the money to buy whatever pistol they want. Unlike the Marines/MARSOC, they chose not to waste a huge sum of money on a dinosaur. That point is apparently lost on you and many others here.

Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I've logged a bit of RB-15/Zodiac time in my day. Most of it I'll admit was lobstering, snorkeling, and wake-boarding (takes real talent behind a 35hp rubber boat).

Army SF, unlike the rest of the Army, has the means and the money to buy whatever pistol they want. Unlike the Marines/MARSOC, they chose not to waste a huge sum of money on a dinosaur. That point is apparently lost on you and many others here.

Well that is where our opinions differ. I don't consider the 45 ACP a dinosaur. Not arguing specifically for the 1911 platform, as if you go back and read what I posted I mentioned the SIG P220 several times. Pretty sure those SIGs have a touch of time in the field as well.

Appreciate you are loyal to a GLOCK, and for SF that is well and good. But for average everyday dumbazzes they are getting in now, it is my opinion a striker fired weapon is not a good idea.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Well that is where our opinions differ. I don't consider the 45 ACP a dinosaur. Not arguing specifically for the 1911 platform, as if you go back and read what I posted I mentioned the SIG P220 several times. Pretty sure those SIGs have a touch of time in the field as well.

Appreciate you are loyal to a GLOCK, and for SF that is well and good. But for average everyday dumbazzes they are getting in now, it is my opinion a striker fired weapon is not a good idea.

The Glock probably isn't the best solution for big Army. Some sort of striker-fired pistol is the best option, IMO. Maybe something yet to come.

Bill Rodgers has watched tons of brass hit the ground at his range over the last 30yr. He says Glocks and now S&W M&P's are the best thing going. The XD's and the Sigs are more reliable than a 1911 but fall far short of the two plastic guns. Don't discount the Sig 250, it may be the dark horse here, and it is truly MODULAR.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Issue PFC Susie a 1911 with a full magazine � and a 36-inch lanyard firmly attached so that she can swing it 'round 'n' 'round while she's shrieking.

I think your on to something there. It makes sense to me.

Make it an expensive lanyard of course.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two glocks and I like shooting them and they are great weapons. I bought my G21 when i was in the army to carry if deployed, but I'm seriously not a fan of no safety. Yeh I see all the threads about its all about user stupidity. But it still gives me the creeps to have a hot round and no safety when I'm not actually on the firing line. Before you go off on me, I probably have fired 30,000 rounds of ammo in my life so I'm not untrained in their use.

Me, just personally, I much prefer my HK USP Tactical for a duty type carry weapon because I can carry hot and flip the safety when I draw and it still has a reasonably firm double action pull. If i want to take a slower but more accurate shot like when im trying to hit a target at 30 plus yards i just cock the hammer. I just think a weapon with a reliable safety is a must have if you are talking army wide issue. Remember that many soldiers are not SF or Batt-boys and have minimal weapons training and then throw in fatigue and stress and there ya go.

I suspect a HK would have less than 1/2 of the accidental discharges of a glock in the long run.

Conrad101st
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
45 don't kill any better or worse than 9mm or bayonet, use of appropriate ammo is what should be addressed.

We'd be the laughing stock with a damn 1911. Maybe they will consider a Ruger Vaquero 45 Colt. Hell, maybe they can dump the AR for a Winchester 94. Thats how STUPID this is.

Anyone who would take a 1911 over a Sig Sauer P227 (organic apples to GMO apples) has NEVER been in harms way...The End!

Anyone who would choose a 45 over a 9mm ain't NEVER had to hump cases of 45 ammo into combat...The End!

A serious look at how many times a handgun is used on the modern battlefield should be one of the primary considerations. I hate Glocks but believe it could fill the bill. Another consideration is woman in combat humping 45...Dats funny right there!

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 07/05/14.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
smile

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
45 don't kill any better or worse than 9mm or bayonet, use of appropriate ammo is what should be addressed.

We'd be the laughing stock with a damn 1911. Maybe they will consider a Ruger Vaquero 45 Colt. Hell, maybe they can dump the AR for a Winchester 94. Thats how STUPID this is.

Anyone who would take a 1911 over a Sig Sauer P227 (organic apples to GMO apples) has NEVER been in harms way...The End!

Anyone who would choose a 45 over a 9mm ain't NEVER had to hump cases of 45 ammo into combat...The End!

A serious look at how many times a handgun is used on the modern battlefield should be one of the primary considerations. I hate Glocks but believe it could fill the bill. Another consideration is woman in combat humping 45...Dats funny right there!

Well I grew up with a 1911 so I would most definitely take a 1911 over anything else with possible exception of a FN Tactical in .45 Auto.

Back in the day the combat load for a 1911 was three 7 round mags and that always seem plenty. Even in trench warfare handguns were rarely the only weapons carried. Heck, the tunnel rats of Vietnam usually carried a revolver, knife and a bunch of grenades and were pretty well armed.

This business of having to carry a handgun for general combat and case of ammo in my opinion is shear stupid. Carry a freaking rifle or machine pistol.

And last but not least, back in the day the first thing a soldier did was chuck all non-essential equipment going into battle. That option is no longer available?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Greyghost
and unless up close, it's too sloppy for an accurate head shot or even accurate placement for a disabling shot in the arm or leg area!

Phil

Too sloppy for an accurate head shot? Really? It is a true pleasure to hear from an expert such as yourself. I hope everyone was taking notes...

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the beretta and I have a 1911.

I've shot the beretta a handful of times and to me it feels like I'm holding a brick in my hand. I keep it because of its reliability and readily available ammo.

I love the 1911.

Personally I don't think I'd like it nearly as much if it were double stacked. I'd rather just carry extra clips.

Easier to hold and carry in a body holster, IMO'

of course that is all good and well when you're kicking around the woods or a range. If what I held in my hand determined if I came back alive, I might feel differently about it.

nah...probably not.

Last edited by KFWA; 10/21/14.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Still think that the Ruger P345 would fill the need well.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
derby is one stupid [bleep].

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The miltary is restricted to using BALL ammunition. With that a given, the 45 is the winner. Big holes better than small holes.High capacity vs 7 or 8 round standard magazines is not as much an issue IMHO because the lowest standard of handgun PRACTICE has to be anywhere in the US Armed Forces. Translated: the definition of firepower = an increased number of misses per encounter. With rifles the stage was set when I saw most guys burning through magazines on full auto like there was no tomorrow yet when we checked out the dead, they usually sported one or two actual hits. With the exception of head shots, the 7.62 won that derby. Go with the bigger hole.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Funny how everyone thinks with their heart. If we started thinking/voting/holding those accountable with our minds, I believe this country would be better off with a smidgeon more common sense than the laughing stock we've become. It seems all decisions bear one common denominator especially when it comes to politics (which is what this thread is really about). All you need to focus on is the MONEY TRAIL!

So, the army will come to a conclusion and we will all probably wonder how they arrived there and of course bitch about it over then next 2 decades. But their decision and the money trail will look a lot like this:

1. A company will be chosen because of their lobbying power
2. A politician (or small group of politicians) will determine the outcome and gain some kind of personal compensation for their decision in one way or another.
3. All loose ends will be tied up so the taxpayer and soldier will be left in the dark.
4. Cycle will repeat once the next decision outweighs the financial gain to the parties involved for the following future upgrades.
5. Soldiers are stuck with whatever end result.

Sound about right?

Last edited by 4winds; 10/21/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty much the description of government procurement across the board right there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IIRC when dealing with non-uniformed combatants it was determined they could use hollowpoints. Which helps the 9mm, as well as the .45.

For a general issue pistol/sidearm a 9mm is somewhat easier to shoot and learn, especially for women. For the serious badasses, let their units pick what's best for the mission, be it a Grock, 1911, or whatever. I'm personally pleased with the H&K P30LS in 9mm; it seems the best of the plastic pistols, to me. Of course, it's also the most expensive of the plastic pistols smile

and pistols need manual safeties...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The miltary is restricted to using BALL ammunition. With that a given, the 45 is the winner. Big holes better than small holes.

There has NEVER, I repeat NEVER been a single study, test, or any other documentation that shows 45 is any better than 9mm when using the same exact ammo. Compare FMJ vs FMJ or modern HP vs modern HP in 45 vs 9mm and every single one of them shows a tie.

Historically the 1911 and 45 ACP were not particularly well liked during WW-1 through the Korean war. It was only the largely fictional writings of Jeff Cooper that lead to the "legend" of the 1911 and 45 ACP. That and pure nationalism wanting to avoid a gun and caliber used by one of our enemies.

The army wanted to ditch both after WW-2 and go to a hi-cap 9mm.. Their testing at the time showed no difference in performance against humans, but the 9mm outperformed 45 easily in barrier penetration. The 45's were bouncing off steel GI helmets at fairly close ranges while 9mm still penetrated at ranges of over 100 yards.

Going back to the 45 would be a step backwards. Our enemies are starting to use body armor and 45 has always sucked at defeating that. 40 S&W, 357 SIG or 10mm might be a step in the right direction, but the current 9mm is just fine.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Add a grip to the front and a reddot and this would be perfect.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Desert Eagle 50 cal.? something in 454 Causal perhaps?

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Is that why Navy Seals, Spec Ops guys etc virtually emptied out armories (like in Crane, Indiana for the USN) of 45s after 9/11 and sustained combat operations?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jorgeI; 10/21/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is that why Navy Seals, Spec Ops guys etc virtually emptied out armories (like in Crane, Indiana for the USN) of 45s after 9/11 and sustained combat operations?

Don't confuse the issue with facts

Snake

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Haven't read the whole thread, so I apologize if this has been addressed - are there any statistics out there on how many times a handgun has been used in, say Iraq, and what the results of those uses have been? Seems everything is quantified these days and I wondered if such statistics were available.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you sure there has never been a test comparing the two?

The Thompson-LaGarde tests specifically compared the .45 ACP vs. various other FMJ rounds including the 9x19. They shot both live animals and human cadavers, something that would be hard to duplicate today. Page 6 of this link shows their conclusions:

http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/TLGR/TLGR6/tlgr6.html

"All of the bullets used in the experiments lodged in the body, so that every particle of energy was delivered with each bullet. The animals invariably dropped to the ground when shot from three to five times with the larger caliber Colt�s revolver bullets, and they failed in every instance to drop when as many as ten shots of the smaller jacketed bullets from the Colt�s automatic and Luger pistol had been delivered against the lungs or abdomen. This failure on the part of the automatic pistols of small caliber set to rest at once the claims of the makers that the superior energy and velocity of their weapons was a controlling factor in stopping power. The Board was of the opinion that a bullet which will have the shock effect and stopping power at short ranges necessary for a military pistol or revolver should have a caliber not less than .45."

It's interesting that they also recommend a "cupped" bullet as being far superior to any FMJ - an early version of a hollow point. Gee, who'da thunk? wink

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (338reddog, 308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 25 invisible), 1,940 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,100
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.