Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
WFR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm having an absolute blast fishing on this small private lake where my in-laws live in the mountains of western NC.
Caught my first bass on a fly yesterday and then sporadically caught a few gills here and there until about 8:15 when the bite turned on big time.
Landed close to 20 in the next 45 minutes all on the same popper. The biggest one was an absolute beast and probably my biggest bluegill ever. I seriously thought I had a nice bass on until he broke the water a few minutes later.
Was using an older St. Croix Imperial 8' 4/5wt with 4wt line on it.
Don't get me wrong, I love trout fishing but I am getting totally addicted to this.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Monster Bluegill. Easily 1 1/2 lb fish!
[Linked Image]

Finished it off with a nice sunset.
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Loads of fun on my 3 wt Sage Flyrod. Love to fish for Bluegills & Bass in our stock tanks with a small popper like that.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/04/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also love catching Gills on a fly rod. I fish for them on In the North west lower Pennisular of Michigan. Too much fun and also good to eat. I use either my 8' Penn 6wt or a Loomis 7.5' 4 wt.

Last edited by 300Savage; 07/04/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also love catching Gills on a fly rod. I fish for them In the North west lower Pennisular of Michigan. Too much fun and also good to eat. I use either my 8 foot 6 wt Penn fly rod or a 7.5' ft. Loomis 4 wt.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That sir is one of my all time favorite things to do!

Been a long time since Ive done it too�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
What ingwe said... Hope to do some bluegill/bassing in Aug. when we visit Mich.. Will use my old Fenglass 8' 6wt. It has been catching fish for me for 40 years..
IF I had good bluegill fishing near here, I would never cast for another trout..

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Its a blast. When the mayflies hatch on the holston river, bluegills on a flyrod will out number bluegills caught on spinning tackle 3:1. If they slow down on the popper use a black ant, DEADLY... thanks for the pics.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They like the red ants, here. That and those little foam bodied grasshoppers.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Fun, ain't it?
[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
That certainly looks like a great time!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Always wanted to do that!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I went after them yesterday, there are some ponds near were I live, I caught a pail full before lunch, fried them all up and well it was like I was 7 years old again! My old Sage 8'6" for a 5 Wt and a 6 foot 4 x leader was plenty! Catching them on # 12 Grey Wulffs, and some small green and black poppers!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

WFR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good to see I'm not the only one that is addicted!

I have a 8'6" 2wt Sage RPL that I am going to line up with a good 3wt line and go after some bluegills with it next.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
From bonefish to carp - fishing is fishing and a great reason to be out. Color me envious.

1Minute
WFR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
a12, what kind of setup are you using there?
Originally Posted by a12
Fun, ain't it?
[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ingwe
That sir is one of my all time favorite things to do! Been a long time since Ive done it too�.

Well, if you'd swing down this way, we could make it happen. grin I have two ponds full of big bluegills and no one is taking any out, except me.

In 2007, My Dad caught a bluegill on his flyrod in our "Upper Pond" that was 14 1/2" long, roughly 2.5"-3" thick and about 7" wide. My Mom got a picture of it just before it slipped out of my Dad's hands and went back into the pond. cry

I prefer to use my 9', 5wt Loop for the bass and bluegills here. It's not big trout or salmon, but it's a blast!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I will be in Texas twice next year�.where you at? laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The green part. laugh

PM inbound...

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
You are a lucky man ingwe!!! Do you play the state lottery's?? If not you should .. Have fun!!

Molon Labe
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
You are a lucky man ingwe!!! Do you play the state lottery's?? If not you should .. Have fun!!

Drag yourself and your flyrod down here and catch all you want. grin

Ed

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Nope! don't play the lottery�just the stock market grin And through no fault of my own, its been on a tear�.so Ive lined a couple hunting trips up, plus another to Florida and a fishing trip to Alberta.

That should put me back in the poor house! laugh

Last edited by ingwe; 07/07/14.

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by WFR
a12, what kind of setup are you using there?
Originally Posted by a12
Fun, ain't it?
[Linked Image]
Thats the kid and I think that is his 5wt St Croix. He mostly uses a 3wt Cabelas fiberglass for bream these days.

WFR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
a12, I looked at the Reddington Buttersticks the other day and that could be a lot of fun on bluegills.
Went to Cabelas last night and purchased a RL Winston Passport 9' 5wt for a ridiculous price. After the sale price, coupon and a store credit being used I have about $100 in it with a lifetime warranty.
Now to see what St. Croix can do about fixing my broken 8' 4wt Avid.
Through buying rods for a while. Time to get another reel or two and get some lines and accessories.
This is a costly addiction on the front end! smile

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
This is the glass 3wt that the kid loves.
[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
ingwe, awesome.. retirement is wonderful.. I haven't done a lot of hunts with guides since my retirement in 99, but have been able to make many DIY hunts.. If all goes well this spring I would like to hit Tx. for some exotic stuff.. when for pigs last spring.. a lot of fun, when it is cold up here..

Molon Labe
WFR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by a12
[Linked Image]

WOW!
Just Wow!
How did he land that beast with that little 3-weight?
That had to be an epic fight!
Cool picture.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by WFR
Originally Posted by a12
[Linked Image]

WOW!
Just Wow!
How did he land that beast with that little 3-weight?
That had to be an epic fight!
Cool picture.

+1! That picture is a wall-hanger, for sure!

Ed

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The main reason I never got interested in fly fishing for trout. Bass and bluegill are to readily available where I live.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
For me bass and bluegill are ten times more fun than trout.. Plus I believe the fish are a bit more durable, and if you release them, they will most likely survive.. That aside, I would still sooner fish a good bluegill lake for a day than trout for a week.

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by a12
Fun, ain't it?
[Linked Image]

The fish in this pic is a hybrid. Look at the ends on the fins, see the orange? It is a cross between a green sunfish and a blue gill. The mouth is a little bigger also. Nice fish indeed and you don't catch hybrids in the wild very often. Mostly in stocked ponds. I just noticed it and thought I might comment. I fish for sunfish more than anything else and can identify just about all the sunfish an the crosses. Love me some sunnies!

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
seal, this property was farmland that we put back into trees. The pond was silted in and the fish couldn't spawn, so there were few sport fish in it. We drained it, cleaned up the bottom a bit, put in a water control structure at the end of the slough, and restocked it. Those F1 bass are a blast, also.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Beautiful place you got there! I have a small pond on the family farm that is over populated with crappie. It was where I caught my first fish and its where I took my first son to catch his first fish and then my younger son to catch his first fish. Lots of memories at that ol place. I rode a motorcycle there for the first time. 1st camping trip first animal killed with a bow first frog with a bow my life would probably be way different if it weren't for that place. I don't know how much longer it will be in our family as a few have died off and my dad and uncle are old and not in the best of health. It will be hard to settle I'm sure. Take care of it and try your best to keep it in the family.

WFR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Finally got a few bluegills on the 8'6" 2-weight Sage RPL last week.
Was using a Rio Gold 3-weight line and it cast well. I think I like my 4-weight better though.

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
nice fish...

Molon Labe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,166
Posts18,465,308
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.