Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Trying to find some new .45-70 brass for my incoming Sharps and I'm coming up empty-handed.

I am able to find some nickel Remington .45-70 brass, but no plain brass.

Is there any real difference between the plain and nickeled brass as far as performance, stretching, brittleness, or dimensions?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I find that nickel plated cases clean up easier when used with black powder. I like 'em.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some of the most consistently accurate loads I have for the 45-70 is in Remington nickel brass.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Although I've never tried nickel plated brass, I'm wondering if they tend to get harder faster and does annealing work as well?

Wayne

NRA & TSRA Lifetime member. NSSF member. Author & Publisher of the Browning 1885 BPCR book.
See www.texas-mac.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have some of those cases that have been shot so much the nickel is coming off of the base and rims, never have annealed them and they'll still deliver top accuracy.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe you'd better grab those nickel plated cases before one of us asks you where they are...

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 303mike
Maybe you'd better grab those nickel plated cases before one of us asks you where they are...

Gone. That's where they are. Not in my direction, either. frown

Yesterday, after reading your guy's recommendation, I went back online and they were already gone.

Back on the hunt again...

Any of y'all use Starline brass? I have found some of that.

Thanks for your input, gentlemen!

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 07/06/14.

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Ed, Rifle here, or at least update on delivery?

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use and prefer Starline, but I also shoot a batch of Remington.

With certain brands of brass there may be variation among lots. When forming 45-70 brass down to 40-65, some lots of Remington formed well, others cracked. Admittedly, that was putting it to a tough test.

No experience with plated brass.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Starline is good stuff. My nickel cases are Starline.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have not tried them with black powder, but like the nickel Starline cases I run in the #1 Ruger - which are loaded with heavy charges of smokeless. They seem to be fine.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I sure wish Starline would make a nickel plated case for a .40-70 SS. Of course, I wish anybody made a case for a .40-70 SS...

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Uncas
Ed, Rifle here, or at least update on delivery?

Bill,

No rifle. Still in limbo on delivery date. frown

It'll get here when it gets here. Meanwhile, I'm gathering everything else.

Ed

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks for the input, Gents. I'll see about gathering some Starline.

Ed

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Well, Gents, 200 new Starline brass .45-70 cases are on my loading bench. I'll measure them tomorrow and see what I have in relation to the Remington brass I have.

Ed

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's good to have. And how far ahead of the cart is this horse?

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 303mike
That's good to have. And how far ahead of the cart is this horse?

The horse was supposed to be delivered around May 21st, so I'm just keeping occupied by getting ready. grin

I have powder, primers, wads, and now brass on the bench as well as some gg bullets cast from two different molds. I'm waiting for a Postell mold to get here and that will give me three bullets to try for starters.

If it doesn't get here soon, I'm going to have to mow the pasture again just so I can see the targets. grin

Ed

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ed, That's cool. And because you have all of the ingredients, you might go ahead and load some of the greasers so you can fire-form some brass when the rifle does make its grand entrance. I find that fire-formed brass must be used to get any good accurate shooting. Another good thing to do while fire-forming brass is the barrel break-in, do little shooting and a lot of cleaning. It makes fire-forming go quickly.

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
That's the plan. grin I have even loaded some of these bullets in .458WM cases so I can shoot something while I wait. grin

Ed

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It sounds like you're all set. I just ordered another 50 .44/77 Jamison cases, just because they're available now. There's no point in waiting until they're gone to want some...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
685 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 3,110 guests, and 1,456 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.