Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thinking about getting a rifle for long range deer and yote killing.
Out to Maybe 700 yards or so.
Looked at the Remington Long range rifle and it looks like it
Might work but I just need some input as to choosing this rifle or would I be better to buy a plain Jane Remington 700 and Rebarrel and restock it?I want to do this right the first time.
Without taking a loan on the house !
I am interested in either a 7mm Rem mag But I really like the 30-06 as well.
Also need some input on Glass for this purpose.
Heres the other thing ,I will be using Factory ammo.
I know ,I just dont like to reload anymore !

Thanks
Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
First off, SERIOUS long range afficianados figure out pretty quick that their sports predominate cost is ammo, that is true even if they reload. If they don't reload, and the guvmint ain't buyin' it for you, you'll go in the hole PDQ. So, the first thing I'd advise you purchase is press, and the other tools you need to get started.

If you are a captain of industry or a neurosurgeon, then this won't apply. In that case, you'll probably be better off with a 308 than anything else as true match-grade ammo is more available in that caliber than anything else.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks but I am going to use factory loads.
Might go 308 but really wanting either 7mm rem mag or 30-06

Thanks anyway
Craig

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bcraig
Thanks but I am going to use factory loads.
Might go 308 but really wanting either 7mm rem mag or 30-06

Thanks anyway
Craig

You ever put 50 rds through a 7rem/mag, prone off a bipod, in one afternoon? BTW, that's close to $150 bucks worth of premium ammo in 7mag.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[bleep]..

Last edited by Rancho_Loco; 07/05/14.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[bleep]..

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
rancho loco ... is saving you a lotta time w those suggestions.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Well in the 40 plus years I have been shooting I have probably never shot 50 rounds prone off a bipod at one sitting.
Mostly off a Bench,a truck hood,Deer stand with sturdy railing around it for solid support of the rifle etc.
Even off a pack laying on the ground ,I can find a sturdy rest without resorting to a bipod.

Cost of the ammo is relative as 308 or anything else cost money.
As I said I dont like reloading anymore and I WILL be using factory loads .

I would like some Input on the the questions I originally posted.

Thanks
Craig

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
If youre gonna be using factory ammo: 308.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Well in the 40 plus years I have been shooting I have probably never shot 50 rounds prone off a bipod at one sitting.

Craig

And you want to shoot 700 yards? Might up your shooting habits some.

IC B3

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Craig

So you are saying the only accurate shooting can be done off a bipod ?
Thats Bullshit.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have never been able to see much difference ballistically between the 7 mag and the 30-06, so that's a toss up. If I wanted really accurate rifle in either of those cartridges, I would have it built. As others have said, the 308 is probably a better choice and in that case, I would buy a factory rifle. Lots of accurate 308's available and plenty of match quality ammo out there.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Craig

Thats Bullshit.

What these guys are saying is that if you plan on shooting 700 yards, you sure as hell better put a few hundred rounds through the rifle from field positions at the ranges you plan on shooting. If you don't, then you have absolutely no business shooting that far.

Buy a 308 or 243 Ruger Simba, an SWFA 10x, a bunch of ammo, and practice practice practice.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Might work but I just need some input as to choosing this rifle or would I be better to buy a plain Jane Remington 700 and Rebarrel and restock it?I want to do this right the first time.

Thanks
Craig

The 700 Long Range is relatively new to the scene, but has the M700 pedigree. It "could" get the job done for you, or it could be a lemon. Pays your money and find out. Or build. Accurate ammo with target bullets can be gotten for either round mentioned - BlackHills will sell you 7RM with a 162gr Amax, or 30-06 with 155gr or 168 amax or 168gr Hornady HP. Would guess some of the other upstart ammo makers will do the same/similar.

Which ever you choose, I'd put a 20MOA rail on it, a set of Seekins rings and a 6.5x20 Leupold LR on it. Invest in a decent trigger and shoot the crap out of it. Find the cheapest ammo you can to practice at short/midrange until shooting it becomes second nature, use the good stuff for stretching things out.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Craig

Thats Bullshit.

What these guys are saying is that if you plan on shooting 700 yards, you sure as hell better put a few hundred rounds through the rifle from field positions at the ranges you plan on shooting. If you don't, then you have absolutely no business shooting that far.

Buy a 308 and practice.

I had already planned on that and thats not the questions I asked .
I didn,t ask for ANYBODYS input on how much I need to shoot ,AND dont need YOUR oppinion either telling me what buisness I have shooting at any range.
Its a Damn shame that there are so many who seem to be unable to read a post and just answer the damn questions in the post .

Read my post from the start and the questions I asked.
I dont need anyones oppinions on anything other than what I asked.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Kaiser Norton

Thanks
Craig

The 700 Long Range is relatively new to the scene, but has the M700 pedigree. It "could" get the job done for you, or it could be a lemon. Pays your money and find out. Or build. Accurate ammo with target bullets can be gotten for either round mentioned - BlackHills will sell you 7RM with a 162gr Amax, or 30-06 with 155gr or 168 amax or 168gr Hornady HP. Would guess some of the other upstart ammo makers will do the same/similar.

Which ever you choose, I'd put a 20MOA rail on it, a set of Seekins rings and a 6.5x20 Leupold LR on it. Invest in a decent trigger and shoot the crap out of it. Find the cheapest ammo you can to practice at short/midrange until shooting it becomes second nature, use the good stuff for stretching things out.

Kaiser Norton

Thank you ,I appreciate you answering and replying to the questions I asked.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You received plenty of good advice, but don't want to listen to it. Good luck, jackass.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Might have been good advice for someone else But I asked about the 30-06 and 7mm Magnum .
Phuc you too .
You are the Jackass because you cant stick to the questions asked.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ask questions then get attitude. Figures.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Funny. You asked about putting something together without breaking the bank.

308 ammo loaded with Sierra Matchkings can be had for less than half the price of "match" '06 or 7mm Mag ammo. The ammo is going to be the most expensive part of this deal. Figure on putting $500 worth of 308 ammo, or $1000 worth of '06 or 7 Mag ammo through it, before you take it to the hills.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tough crowd here, but with almost 2300 posts you should be used to that by now.
Nothing in the world will keep you from using any cartridge your heart desires for what you have in mind. The 30-06 or 7Mag will definitely work fine as well as a number of other cartridges. As long as you know your ballistics and have the skill and equipment to use them you can reach out there. That equipment being a good, accurate rifle, good scope with easily understandable adjustments, and good, accurate ammo for YOUR rifle. I would also throw in here that learning to use a good bipod for when the pack, stump, truck hood, stand isn't available- will give you many more options. Once you've used a bipod for a while I'm betting you will never go afield without one. I know I don't any more.

Two ways to go and you would be about even money either way. You can try to buy a factory Remington 700 and see if it shoots up to the required accuracy level you would need. I would think .5 MOA would be sufficient for 700 yards, given your sighting won't probably be rock steady like a bench rest might be so a little allowance must be made. If the factory 700 won't do the deed but is close, you can always put on a better stock, bed, play with trigger adjustment, and a few other tricks.

If it isn't close, your next choice is obviously to buy a 700 action and have it barreled to what ever you wish, place it in a McMillan stock or equal, and find ammo it likes. No guarantee this will shoot any better, but the odds are good it will meet the required accuracy standard.

By time you've done all that, you could probably buy yourself a Cooper or equal rifle known for their accuracy, put a great scope on it, and start looking for good ammo.

The fly in the ointment in any of these scenarios is that you will need to find ammo it likes, probably premium ammo at $40-$70 a box these days, and work up your ballistic chart until you find what it does in your rifle- including running it over a chrono so you have accurate drop tables.

Study Stick's/Boxer's MOA adjustment advice for adjusting your chosen scope or buy a Mil/Mil scope and learn how to use it and you'll be in hog heaven. By time you're ready, the ammo will cost approximately what the rifle cost up front, but that is part of the trade off of not wanting to reload I guess. Unless you have a buddy who might want to do some reloading for you? Might be worth some horse trading to find someone to help you out with that end.

Of course, my recommendation of the Remington 700 is based on your mention of this rifle. I have several and they all meet my expectations for accuracy, but some have taken some work to get there. I also have Winchester 70's- Pre 64 and newer Classics that also meet this requirement, so choice of rifle isn't carved in stone for me. Pick one you like and see if it does what you want. If it doesn't, send it down the road and start over. There is no guarantee you'll find what you want with the first try even with a well built custom, IMHO.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Ask questions then get attitude. Figures.

Ask Questions then read answers pertainting to what was not asked .
Figures

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
Tough crowd here, but with almost 2300 posts you should be used to that by now.
Nothing in the world will keep you from using any cartridge your heart desires for what you have in mind. The 30-06 or 7Mag will definitely work fine as well as a number of other cartridges. As long as you know your ballistics and have the skill and equipment to use them you can reach out there. That equipment being a good, accurate rifle, good scope with easily understandable adjustments, and good, accurate ammo for YOUR rifle. I would also throw in here that learning to use a good bipod for when the pack, stump, truck hood, stand isn't available- will give you many more options. Once you've used a bipod for a while I'm betting you will never go afield without one. I know I don't any more.

Two ways to go and you would be about even money either way. You can try to buy a factory Remington 700 and see if it shoots up to the required accuracy level you would need. I would think .5 MOA would be sufficient for 700 yards, given your sighting won't probably be rock steady like a bench rest might be so a little allowance must be made. If the factory 700 won't do the deed but is close, you can always put on a better stock, bed, play with trigger adjustment, and a few other tricks.

If it isn't close, your next choice is obviously to buy a 700 action and have it barreled to what ever you wish, place it in a McMillan stock or equal, and find ammo it likes. No guarantee this will shoot any better, but the odds are good it will meet the required accuracy standard.

By time you've done all that, you could probably buy yourself a Cooper or equal rifle known for their accuracy, put a great scope on it, and start looking for good ammo.

The fly in the ointment in any of these scenarios is that you will need to find ammo it likes, probably premium ammo at $40-$70 a box these days, and work up your ballistic chart until you find what it does in your rifle- including running it over a chrono so you have accurate drop tables.

Study Stick's/Boxer's MOA adjustment advice for adjusting your chosen scope or buy a Mil/Mil scope and learn how to use it and you'll be in hog heaven. By time you're ready, the ammo will cost approximately what the rifle cost up front, but that is part of the trade off of not wanting to reload I guess. Unless you have a buddy who might want to do some reloading for you? Might be worth some horse trading to find someone to help you out with that end.

Of course, my recommendation of the Remington 700 is based on your mention of this rifle. I have several and they all meet my expectations for accuracy, but some have taken some work to get there. I also have Winchester 70's- Pre 64 and newer Classics that also meet this requirement, so choice of rifle isn't carved in stone for me. Pick one you like and see if it does what you want. If it doesn't, send it down the road and start over. There is no guarantee you'll find what you want with the first try even with a well built custom, IMHO.

Bob

Thank you
Craig

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck..

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thank you

Craig

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think you misunderstood me.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Oh,and how is that?

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Might go 308

you said it, we just agreeing and trying to save you some time/money.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Given they are priced so cheap go for it.

You'll still need a new trigger, but you get a half decent stock.

See how it shoots, and when you can't shoot better than it does move on.
But remember factory rigs are picky so reloading can help you have a better performing rig.

You didn't mention what distance you consider long range?

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Given they are priced so cheap go for it.

You'll still need a new trigger, but you get a half decent stock.

See how it shoots, and when you can't shoot better than it does move on.
But remember factory rigs are picky so reloading can help you have a better performing rig.

You didn't mention what distance you consider long range?

Second sentence of post for the range.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Where is Stick when you need him?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor and Horn 140gr AM load

or

Rem 700 SPS SS in .243 or 7RM shooting Black Hills loads

or

Ruger American Predator in .308 shooting any one of several match loads that are suitable for LR.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Boolits ALWAYS matter more than headstamps and few things mean less than contour,as per your desires.

Firstly...keep the horse in front of the cart. If you lost a bet big enough,that you have to slum Factory Fodder,simply peruse the bet(s) you've lost and weigh 'em in extrapolation. Physics ain't nothing new and good BC's at good speeds,reliably do great things. Pick the best boolit,at the best speed for a given chambering and KNOW well in advance,how it'll behave.

Then simply opt a well balance/good handling rifle,that's of the requisite twist rate to connect them dots. Hardly anything approaching Rocket Science is requisite,to arrange what little you Imagine.

[bleep] bipods and 700yds is a long ways from being "far". It's not like you are actually going to shoot the [bleep] thing,but the charade is humorous.

This schit cracks me up!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

OP

Given your current attitude about practice and shooting, I'd definitely go with the 30/06, but in the Remington autoloader with a good 3X9 scope on it- It's about the ideal flock shooting rifle, as they make 20 and 15 round magazines for it.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
That great ,
Now back to my original question Would you try one of the Remington long range rifles or would you just get a cheap 700 and rebarrel?That is if it didn,t shoot good enough with the factory barrel.

700 yards is a long distance for me on deer as I have never shot at a deer at over 440 yards. I always tried to get closer or pass the shot.

Now I want to start shooting farther and trying to figure out a good platform for it.

Youre right about some things but wrong about one thing for sure ,Yes I am going to shoot and practice with the [bleep] thing as you call it.

Just trying to figure out which [bleep] thing I want to shoot that will give me the best terminal performance given the same bullet placement.And give the best accuracy.

Stay cracked up if you want , but what would you choose under the same circumstances ?

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Royce

OP

Given your current attitude about practice and shooting, I'd definitely go with the 30/06, but in the Remington autoloader with a good 3X9 scope on it- It's about the ideal flock shooting rifle, as they make 20 and 15 round magazines for it.

And what attitude about practice and shooting do you comment on?

Nobody said anything about flock shooting, Dumbass.
Or even indicated in any form or fashion,Dumbass
Why dont you go elswhere and stir [bleep].
You clearly have nothing to add to the thread .

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Arrogance brings out the sarcasm in me- Also, when someone talks about shooting deer at 700 yards just because they bought a "long range rifle" brings out more sarcasm.
Any (bleep) that I stirred needed to be stirred.

And if this thread puckered up and died, and you didn't buy a rifle and try to shoot deer at 700 yards, it would be a good thing.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Royce
Arrogance brings out the sarcasm in me- Also, when someone talks about shooting deer at 700 yards just because they bought a "long range rifle" brings out more sarcasm.
Any (bleep) that I stirred needed to be stirred.

The arrogance here comes from people who insist on answering questions that were not asked .
And people like you that dont have enough comprehension to read what is written. I did not talk about shooting deer at 700 yards just because I bought a long range rifle.
Only your lack of reading and comprehension skills (lack of)have brought you to this conclusion.

And if this thread puckered up and died, and you didn't buy a rifle and try to shoot deer at 700 yards, it would be a good thing.

Tis thread can in fact pucker up and die (as far as you are concerned at least.

Just click on another thread instead of this one.

Then you wont have to read into a thread something thats not there .

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That great ,
Now back to my original question Would you try one of the Remington long range rifles or would you just get a cheap 700 and rebarrel?That is if it didn,t shoot good enough with the factory barrel.

700 yards is a long distance for me on deer as I have never shot at a deer at over 440 yards. I always tried to get closer or pass the shot.

Now I want to start shooting farther and trying to figure out a good platform for it.

Youre right about some things but wrong about one thing for sure ,Yes I am going to shoot and practice with the [bleep] thing as you call it.

Just trying to figure out which [bleep] thing I want to shoot that will give me the best terminal performance given the same bullet placement.And give the best accuracy.

Stay cracked up if you want , but what would you choose under the same circumstances ?

Funny schit! Now after "all" that shooting and "experience" after 40yrs of incredibly slooooooowwwwww "learning",you are now going to suddenly attain a first [bleep] clue?!? Ain't happening and you've the cart soooooooo [bleep] far in front of the Pony,that it CAIN'T happen. Hint.

You'd do well to simply shut the [bleep] up,take notes and apply same,then thank me later. Re-Hint.

What I would do is moot,because you are powerless in the refrain of making bad decisions,so are incapable of anything bordering a smart move. You're hung up on a [bleep] barrel contour and that is some seriously funny schit!

Think boolits,boolits and boolits...roughly in that order. It's all about connecting the most dots and you can't even get 2 of 'em connected. What are the '06 and 7Remmie Factory Loads,which so enthrall you? Yes,I realize you are clueless in that regard and don't think that ain't funny too!

What are you shooting now? What is the 440yd machine? What glass are you using? Which LRF do you drive? How did 700yds become a "magical" number?

You are wrapped up around the schit that matters least,while skirting that which matters most and it is indeed funny to be privvy to that sorta bumbling dumbfhuqqtitude. Kudos for frosting it copiously with oblivious hilarity,because I've zero doubt,you are doing your best. Read that again.

To reliably arrange POA/POI intersections is a breeze,if one wishes it to be...you are striving admirably to make easy schit difficult and are at your own mercy,because you THINK you've got a [bleep] clue to build offa. Sweetie you do not,nor close and are assuring same,by poking your head in the sand and standing your ground. Stupid ain't ever smart and you are done before you start. Hint.

Relax,shut the [bleep] up,pay a little attention and shake your head back and forth quickly,in an attempt to erase that which you THINK you "know".

Shout when your mind is right,because until then,you are pissing up ropes.

Revisit the Factory Fodder selections your "experience","knowledge" and "results" have enabled you to swoon and pick your version of something "good"...then we'll kick that around and pinpoint your dumbfhuqqtitude even further in extrapolation.

Start At The [bleep] Stat and boolits is ALWAYS the start.

Hint.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Boxer
That great ,

Funny schit! Now after "all" that shooting and "experience" after 40yrs of incredibly slooooooowwwwww "learning",you are now going to suddenly attain a first [bleep] clue?!? Ain't happening and you've the cart soooooooo [bleep] far in front of the Pony,that it CAIN'T happen. Hint.

Not slow learning at all ,I just wasn,t interested till now.
You apparently are just wanting to be your usual smartass self .

You'd do well to simply shut the [bleep] up,take notes and apply same,then thank me later. Re-Hint.

You would do well shut the [bleep] up,Dont think I will be thanking for for anything.

What I would do is moot,because you are powerless in the refrain of making bad decisions,so are incapable of anything bordering a smart move. You're hung up on a [bleep] barrel contour and that is some seriously funny schit!

I am not hung up on anything ,Just asking questions.
I am smarty enough I dont have to cut timber and talk in some kind of gibberish instead of English.

Think boolits,boolits and boolits...roughly in that order. It's all about connecting the most dots and you can't even get 2 of 'em connected. What are the '06 and 7Remmie Factory Loads,which so enthrall you? Yes,I realize you are clueless in that regard and don't think that ain't funny too!

I dont need to name loads as there are plenty of factory that are there to use.
You find everything funny.Sure sign of being touched in the head,but then again you already knew that didn,t you?

What are you shooting now? What is the 440yd machine? What glass are you using? Which LRF do you drive? How did 700yds become a "magical" number?

30-06 and 243,440 is a Quarter mile and we have several agri fields that are a Quarter.
We also have several that have 700 yards that a shot could be taken with proper rest,rifle and shooter.
I have the rest,can get the rifle and will become proficient through practice.

You are wrapped up around the schit that matters least,while skirting that which matters most and it is indeed funny to be privvy to that sorta bumbling dumbfhuqqtitude. Kudos for frosting it copiously with oblivious hilarity,because I've zero doubt,you are doing your best. Read that again.

Fhuc you too ,Read that again

To reliably arrange POA/POI intersections is a breeze,if one wishes it to be...you are striving admirably to make easy schit difficult and are at your own mercy,because you THINK you've got a [bleep] clue to build offa. Sweetie you do not,nor close and are assuring same,by poking your head in the sand and standing your ground. Stupid ain't ever smart and you are done before you start. Hint.

I am not your sweetie,although you might aspire as much.

Relax,shut the [bleep] up,pay a little attention and shake your head back and forth quickly,in an attempt to erase that which you THINK you "know".

I have forgot more about a lot of subjects than you will ever know, you know more about long range shooting but you would rather talk your backwoods gibberish that just answer simple questions.I also learned how to speak in a normal manner and not in a backwoods slang . Of course that just draws more attention to you.Which is all you want anyway.

Shout when your mind is right,because until then,you are pissing up ropes.

Revisit the Factory Fodder selections your "experience","knowledge" and "results" have enabled you to swoon and pick your version of something "good"...then we'll kick that around and pinpoint your dumbfhuqqtitude even further in extrapolation.

You are truly an idiot.

Start At The [bleep] Stat and boolits is ALWAYS the start.

Hint.

I should never have asked you a phuqqing thing as I Realized what a Moronic azz you were a long time ago from watching your responses to other people.
You are legend in your own mind.

You know all I did was ask some simple questions
You want to be a smartass ,just like you most often are.
So phuqq you too.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
There have been several here who have attempted to give informative answers.
To those and to those who have sent me a PM telling me to ignore the troublemakers ,Thank you

To the ones who just want to stir chit and be a trouble maker
To hell with you and your kind.

Craig

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Craig,

You'll wanna remember to always start by [bleep] yourself...simply because you'll get more poozy that way. Congratulations?!?

You Whining Clueless Kchunts are a [bleep] riot! First you ask questions,then it slowly sinks in as to what an amazing Idiot you are,then your feelers get hurt. Simply put,you've been led to water,but are too [bleep] stupid to drink,so now you are going to Whine and make Excuses. REALLY enjoyed the Secret Squirrel PM Ploy too,as that is always a "dreaded" Trump Card. Laffin'!

I'm afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess and you enjoy the "luxury"of being an amazingly inept slooowwwwwwwwww "learner",who after 40yrs of doing her "best",is still devoid a FIRST [bleep] clue. Very impressive. Laffin'!

PLEASE find me "mistaken" and I'll happily take the time to rub your nose even further,in your incredible Stupidity. Lemme letcha' in on a little "secret",it ain't happenin'. Hint.

VERY good call to refrain ALL things The Rifle and instead focus your Estrogen Levels upon your Vagina Monologue. I rather enjoyed the Hissy Fit. Thanks. Laffin'!

First you Stupid [bleep] ask questions,then you are handed facts on a silver platter,then because they aren't anywhere near alignment with your crossed-eyes and 17 IQ points,you cry "foul". Hilarious!

Whatcha' figure to Pretend about next? After it enters your Imagination,how long do it take to become "real" to you?!? Laffin'!

You are in soooooooooooooo [bleep] far over your pointy head,that it really is gawdamned amazing.

Bless your heart.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
With an attitude like yours OP it's amazing Boxer has even offered up some pearls. You'd do well to decipher his wisdom and act accordingly. Or you could just GFY.

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The factory 700 Long Range in 30-06 would probably do 700y easily. Factory ammo is going to be expensive though, but you should be able to get factory ammo that will give you good enough accuracy for 700y
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-long-range.aspx

For deer this in 260 Rem or 6.5 Creed would be easier to spot hits than the 30-06 and high BC bullets of the 6.5 is always a plus.
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10PREDATORHUNTERMAX1

Or as mentioned earlier, the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 or 30 cal.

For optics, I would go with a SWFA Super Sniper fixed power. Seems like they are pretty decent for the price.

Pieter

Last edited by m77; 07/07/14.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'diddle,

She can only do the best she can do,with what incredibly [bleep] little she has to work with.

Even she knows this and it makes her pissy.(grin)

'77,

It's ALL about boolits and a rifle can simply be no better than it's boolits. Many are in a hurry to overlook that glaring obvious,which is always entertaining and upon many levels. Key is connecting dots and the OP cain't get 1 in a "row". Funny schit!

Never heard of a S/S...it's all about zoom range and objective size.

Laffin'!

Lemme fuel her Imagination,if only to bolster her Pretend.

[Linked Image]

We's either gonna get Excuses and Whine...or Cricketts. Tough call,other than to know it'll be [bleep] funny!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What I have always found interesting is that there are darn few public 500+ Shooting ranges out there so most folks couldn't find a place to shoot to practice this stuff, lest they live out in the boonies, or have access some how.

OH - BTW, getting pissed off when getting free advice speaks for itself.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Craig-

Done it both ways. Honestly, a stock is only as good as it feels. If it don't fit, it ain't gonna work. It's akin to having a size 9 shoe and wearing a size 11 just because.

What I am getting at is go to your local shop and see what fits. A custom stock or factory. From there you can decide if you want to keep it factory or build it.

Now, as others have said, the bullet is where it's at. If you don't have access to a friend that has a press, get in touch with one of the smaller reloading firms (HSM etc..) and see what they can do for you. If nothing else no matter the caliber, you can be sure you are getting repeatable results.

As far as 700 yards. Not saying you are not capable or anything, but I have no problem shooting a yote at 700 with my 300RUM but with my -06.... not sure I would do that, but that is just me...not sure of the 7mm, only shot the mother in law's at 200 so not sure of it's effectiveness.

Optics.. Good luck on that one. I have a $100 scope on one rifle and a $2500 on another. I like them equally for their intended purposes. Like the stock, you will need to try them out and see what fits. You may love it at 700 and hate it at 75.

Good Luck

WM

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Craig,

You'll wanna remember to always start by [bleep] yourself...simply because you'll get more poozy that way. Congratulations?!?

Nobody [bleep] any body.
You are just a smartass,its not what you say its your smartass,gibberish way of saying it .
[bleep] you

You Whining Clueless Kchunts are a [bleep] riot! First you ask questions,then it slowly sinks in as to what an amazing Idiot you are,then your feelers get hurt. Simply put,you've been led to water,but are too [bleep] stupid to drink,so now you are going to Whine and make Excuses. REALLY enjoyed the Secret Squirrel PM Ploy too,as that is always a "dreaded" Trump Card. Laffin'!

Again it not what you say,its your smartass way of saying it.
You have led no one to water.You sure do have a highly inflated oppinion of yourself.
No secret squirrel play at all. I sent you several PM asking your oppinion about several things and you replied in a courteous manner.Then you come back on and start talking your smartass gibberish again.
[bleep] you

I'm afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess and you enjoy the "luxury"of being an amazingly inept slooowwwwwwwwww "learner",who after 40yrs of doing her "best",is still devoid a FIRST [bleep] clue. Very impressive. Laffin'!

Once again ,you are a smartass
phugg you

PLEASE find me "mistaken" and I'll happily take the time to rub your nose even further,in your incredible Stupidity. Lemme letcha' in on a little "secret",it ain't happenin'. Hint.

There is nothing to find you mistaken on...
You are not giving any advice on this post
Just being a smartass
Phugg you

VERY good call to refrain ALL things The Rifle and instead focus your Estrogen Levels upon your Vagina Monologue. I rather enjoyed the Hissy Fit. Thanks. Laffin'!

I am sure you do enjoy stirring chit as that seems to be your forte.
Phugg you

First you Stupid [bleep] ask questions,then you are handed facts on a silver platter,then because they aren't anywhere near alignment with your crossed-eyes and 17 IQ points,you cry "foul". Hilarious!

Dont reply then azzhat.You are not the Guru of the Campfire ,just a loudmouth inbred who likes to run people down.
Phugg you

Whatcha' figure to Pretend about next? After it enters your Imagination,how long do it take to become "real" to you?!? Laffin'!

Well it wont be pretending you can actually give anything but a smartass reply,thought you might have changed some but you are the same braindead smartass you have always been.

You are in soooooooooooooo [bleep] far over your pointy head,that it really is gawdamned amazing.

The more you rant when you could have just given advice in a polite manner the more Idiotic you become.

Bless your heart.

I certainly dont need any kind of blessing from you,

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Paradiddle
With an attitude like yours OP it's amazing Boxer has even offered up some pearls. You'd do well to decipher his wisdom and act accordingly. Or you could just GFY.

Stick your nose up his azz
Back at you with the GFY

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by m77
The factory 700 Long Range in 30-06 would probably do 700y easily. Factory ammo is going to be expensive though, but you should be able to get factory ammo that will give you good enough accuracy for 700y
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-long-range.aspx

For deer this in 260 Rem or 6.5 Creed would be easier to spot hits than the 30-06 and high BC bullets of the 6.5 is always a plus.
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10PREDATORHUNTERMAX1

Or as mentioned earlier, the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 or 30 cal.

For optics, I would go with a SWFA Super Sniper fixed power. Seems like they are pretty decent for the price.

Pieter

Thanks

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
'diddle,

She can only do the best she can do,with what incredibly [bleep] little she has to work with.

Once again your usual smartass reply.

Even she knows this and it makes her pissy.(grin)

I am sure you do have a Moronic grin on your face ,
It is indicitive of well being a Moron.

'77,

It's ALL about boolits and a rifle can simply be no better than it's boolits. Many are in a hurry to overlook that glaring obvious,which is always entertaining and upon many levels. Key is connecting dots and the OP cain't get 1 in a "row". Funny schit!

Never heard of a S/S...it's all about zoom range and objective size.

Laffin'!

Lemme fuel her Imagination,if only to bolster her Pretend.

[Linked Image]

We's either gonna get Excuses and Whine...or Cricketts. Tough call,other than to know it'll be [bleep] funny!

Yes I did Pm you,asking about scope mounts.
You gave advice in a courteous way .
I thought perhaps you had changed your smartass ways
But instead you come back on a different post of mine and start being your same smartass,gibberish talking,braindead,legend in your own mind self.
IF you had come on this post and offered advice in a decent manner none of this would be neccasary.
Its really not neccasary anyway but it does allow you to be the center of attention,which is all you really want anyway.

You have learned that as long as you write inflammatory post that you can be the center of attention.
For the first time in your life people are paying YOU attention !!
Congradulations

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
What I have always found interesting is that there are darn few public 500+ Shooting ranges out there so most folks couldn't find a place to shoot to practice this stuff, lest they live out in the boonies, or have access some how.

OH - BTW, getting pissed off when getting free advice speaks for itself.

I have access
Pissed off?
When the Free Advice doesn,t match the questions asked it is aggravating.

Boxer hasn,t given advice on this post ,just been a smartazz.
BUT you see it as you please.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Wondermutt
Craig-

Done it both ways. Honestly, a stock is only as good as it feels. If it don't fit, it ain't gonna work. It's akin to having a size 9 shoe and wearing a size 11 just because.

What I am getting at is go to your local shop and see what fits. A custom stock or factory. From there you can decide if you want to keep it factory or build it.

Now, as others have said, the bullet is where it's at. If you don't have access to a friend that has a press, get in touch with one of the smaller reloading firms (HSM etc..) and see what they can do for you. If nothing else no matter the caliber, you can be sure you are getting repeatable results.

As far as 700 yards. Not saying you are not capable or anything, but I have no problem shooting a yote at 700 with my 300RUM but with my -06.... not sure I would do that, but that is just me...not sure of the 7mm, only shot the mother in law's at 200 so not sure of it's effectiveness.

Optics.. Good luck on that one. I have a $100 scope on one rifle and a $2500 on another. I like them equally for their intended purposes. Like the stock, you will need to try them out and see what fits. You may love it at 700 and hate it at 75.

Good Luck

WM

Thanks
I think the Major Manufactures probably do a good enough job loading.Plenty of good bullets they load as well.

Last edited by bcraig; 07/07/14.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have had very good luck recently with factory Remington specialty rifles like the M700 long range,sendero, tactical.

The B&C M40 stock on that long range is plenty good. I would have the recoil lug glass bedded and drop in a Timney 510 trigger and a 20 MOA rail with a quality scope and rings and have at it.

The 7 rem mag is perfect for your needs. For factory loads try the HSM loaded with 168 grain Bergers. I have also had very good luck with the Remington loaded 150 grain Swift Sciroccos and Winchester loaded 150 grain ballistic silvertip.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Timberbuck
I have had very good luck recently with factory Remington specialty rifles like the M700 long range,sendero, tactical.

The B&C M40 stock on that long range is plenty good. I would have the recoil lug glass bedded and drop in a Timney 510 trigger and a 20 MOA rail with a quality scope and rings and have at it.

The 7 rem mag is perfect for your needs. For factory loads try the HSM loaded with 168 grain Bergers. I have also had very good luck with the Remington loaded 150 grain Swift Sciroccos and Winchester loaded 150 grain ballistic silvertip.

Thanks.Appreciate it

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I should add that, if you are actually serious about LR hunting, the best money you'll ever spend is for John Burn's "How to Shoot" DVD series. Its 8-9hr but all great stuff.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
I should add that, if you are actually serious about LR hunting, the best money you'll ever spend is for John Burn's "How to Shoot" DVD series. Its 8-9hr but all great stuff.

Thanks
Do you have a website address?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Awesome! That's alotta Whinin' in a very short time! The Excuses were quaint to. Congratulations?!?

Only you will be "surprised" to learn,that I've never not helped them who ask for it. I gave you etched in stone facts,upon a silver platter and you cain't even know it...which is again,why it is soooooooo [bleep] funny! Read it all again. Hint.

As mentioned prior,shut the [bleep] up,slow the [bleep] down,take notes and apply same. Hint.

Hilarious to me,that you are under the opinion that anyone could make you appear to be the amazingly inept dumbfhuqq you are,better than you can...by your simply doing your "best". Read that again. Hint.

I'm simply afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess and ain't it poignantly poetic,that them facts fly over your pointy head and grant you the opportunity to showcase your Imagination and Pretend? Might I suggest that you interject some Secret Squirrel PM's,so as to REALLY make a "stand" and tug at heart strings. Laffin'!

You "lucky" bastard,you don't even have to play dumb...if only because it's a birthright and you've that unfair "advantage" to flaunt and wield without mercy.

Laffin'!

Looking forward to your next Whine and even more Excuses,as you reflect in the sweet "satisfactions" that must be your's,of basking in the "sanctity" of 40yrs of sheer and utter [bleep] cluelessness.

Bless your heart.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/Shoot-BEYOND-BELIEF-Shooting-Hunters/dp/B00AL1WQ64

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Awesome! That's alotta Whinin' in a very short time! The Excuses were quaint to. Congratulations?!?

Glad you liked.

Only you will be "surprised" to learn,that I've never not helped them who ask for it. I gave you etched in stone facts,upon a silver platter and you cain't even know it...which is again,why it is soooooooo [bleep] funny! Read it all again. Hint.

You gave me advice about scope rings.
On this thread you have had nothing but smartass comments to make.
Everything is funny or hilarious to you.
But then again its like that with Morons.

As mentioned prior,shut the [bleep] up,slow the [bleep] down,take notes and apply same. Hint.

What a condescending Moron you are to tell anyone to shut up.
You are the one that should shut up but you cant see that.

Hilarious to me,that you are under the opinion that anyone could make you appear to be the amazingly inept dumbfhuqq you are,better than you can...by your simply doing your "best". Read that again. Hint.

Once again everything is Hilarious to you.
But Morons dont realize they are Morons.
Including you.

I'm simply afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess and ain't it poignantly poetic,that them facts fly over your pointy head and grant you the opportunity to showcase your Imagination and Pretend? Might I suggest that you interject some Secret Squirrel PM's,so as to REALLY make a "stand" and tug at heart strings. Laffin'!

No need for secret PM's ,I said in public what I think of you.
I dont like you.I think you are a condescending smartass ,
A legend in your own mind who plays tough guy to get attention.
As far as I am concerned if you were not on the Campfire it would be for the better.

You "lucky" bastard,you don't even have to play dumb...if only because it's a birthright and you've that unfair "advantage" to flaunt and wield without mercy.

So I am a Bastard?
Since you want to go there,Have you figured out yet which one of your Uncles is REALLY your Daddy?

Laffin'!

Laff Laff Laff Moron.

Looking forward to your next Whine and even more Excuses,as you reflect in the sweet "satisfactions" that must be your's,of basking in the "sanctity" of 40yrs of sheer and utter [bleep] cluelessness.

No Whining,No exuses,Just comments on your stupid way of addressing people who ask questions.

Just take your meds,get drunk again and tell yourself that your ok.
Youre really not though.

Bless your heart.

Blessing from you ?
Yea I bet you really do think you have that kind of power or influence.
If your meds arent working(and obviously they aren,t)Try something different.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/Shoot-BEYOND-BELIEF-Shooting-Hunters/dp/B00AL1WQ64

Thank you,I appreciate the info

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O

Thanks
Craig
I would by a donor action and have it rebarreled, the aftermarket barrels don't foul as much.

With the best factory ammo after trying about a dozen different loads not tuned to your rifle, I would expect a 5 shot group at 700 yards to measure about 15" if the wind was not gusting.

If you ponder what has been said on this thread and decide to load your own choose a caliber that Lapua makes brass for.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Glad you liked.

Including you.

As far as I am concerned if you were not on the Campfire it would be for the better.

So I am a Bastard?
Since you want to go there,Have you figured out yet which one of your Uncles is REALLY your Daddy?

Laffin'!

Laff Laff Laff Moron.

No Whining,No exuses,Just comments on your stupid way of addressing people who ask questions.

Youre really not though.

Bless your heart.

Blessing from you ?

The man may be a bit crass.... but he ain't wrong Craig.

I'll interpret for you...

The most important thing in this whole equation is not the rifle... it's the bullet, and all things pertaining to its hasty departure. Many rifles, factory '06s and 7 Rems, are fully capable of pounding stuff at far beyond 700 yards. The things they most often have in common.... are the bullet(s) chosen.... and a well seasoned nut behind the trigger.

Going factory rounds, hamstrings your bullet/load options severely from the start... and you leave not only accuracy... but consistency on the table. You're also far less likely to shoot enough to season said nut.... cause it costs too much. If you're ok with that.... so be it.... but it's a tough 700 yard row to hoe.

Either the '06 or the 7mm in a semi-custom or SPS LR are good choices for long range play (the 7 being far superior IME) per se..... it's the factory ammo choice that kinks us again...

7 bills isn't that tough... provided rifle, glass, and bullets are sound. The tough part is bringing all that together.... there in lies work. So, buying/building a rifle for LR work.... then feeding it sub-par factory ammo..... is like buying a brand new Ferrari... and filling it with 83 octane fuel. Then to top it off.... you'll probably bytch about 'performance'.

If ya gotta go factory fodder, there's really only two choices for a 1/2 mile gun.... .308 and 6.5 Creed.

To answer your original question. I'd go 7 Rem SPS LR... and hope the HSM 168 Berger ammo shot well out of it..... but you'd better cross your fingers.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by OceanBlue

Thanks
Craig
I would by a donor action and have it rebarreled, the aftermarket barrels don't foul as much.

With the best factory ammo after trying about a dozen different loads not tuned to your rifle, I would expect a 5 shot group at 700 yards to measure about 15" if the wind was not gusting.

If you ponder what has been said on this thread and decide to load your own choose a caliber that Lapua makes brass for.

Thank you for your input.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Glad you liked.

Including you.

So I am a Bastard?

Laffin'!

Laff Laff Laff Moron.

Youre really not though.

Bless your heart.

Blessing from you ?

The man may be a bit crass.... but he ain't wrong Craig.

I'll interpret for you...

The most important thing in this whole equation is not the rifle... it's the bullet, and all things pertaining to its hasty departure. Many rifles, factory '06s and 7 Rems, are fully capable of pounding stuff at far beyond 700 yards. The things they most often have in common.... are the bullet(s) chosen.... and a well seasoned nut behind the trigger.

Going factory rounds, hamstrings your bullet/load options severely from the start... and you leave not only accuracy... but consistency on the table. You're also far less likely to shoot enough to season said nut.... cause it costs too much. If you're ok with that.... so be it.... but it's a tough 700 yard row to hoe.

Either the '06 or the 7mm in a semi-custom or SPS LR are good choices for long range play (the 7 being far superior IME) per se..... it's the factory ammo choice that kinks us again...

7 bills isn't that tough... provided rifle, glass, and bullets are sound. The tough part is bringing all that together.... there in lies work. So, buying/building a rifle for LR work.... then feeding it sub-par factory ammo..... is like buying a brand new Ferrari... and filling it with 83 octane fuel. Then to top it off.... you'll probably bytch about 'performance'.

If ya gotta go factory fodder, there's really only two choices for a 1/2 mile gun.... .308 and 6.5 Creed.

To answer your original question. I'd go 7 Rem SPS LR... and hope the HSM 168 Berger ammo shot well out of it..... but you'd better cross your fingers.

Thanks for your input
Yes the 7 Rem Mag sure outdoes as far as bullet drop and wind drift go.
And that would be fine as in my area 243,7mm rem mag and 30-06 are availble any time.And that is important to me as often I cant find places that have the ammo I want online.
At least I can find loads like Winchester Ballistic Silvertip and the Hornady SST Superformance in my area.
I intend to get a box of several different Premium loads to try for accuracy.
In any of the calibers it appears that the Federal premiums,Winchester Ballistic Silvertips or the Hornady SST Superformance,HSM etc would be good starting points for both accuracy and Terminal Performance.And I can find all of them save the HSM in my area.
I will just have to try a Box of several types to find what shoots best in the rifle.
As far as scopes go I am sure its not the best but I do have a Leupold VX1 4-12x40 with the Longrange Duplex that I could use right now without having to buy another scope .
And that works for me as I hunt Mostly at the edge of agri field where i might get a sub 50 yard shot or a longer shot out to the ranges I spoke of (about 700 yards).

Regardless I Thank you for your courteous reply and advice.

Craig

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're going to need a different scope for 700 yard shooting. If you want to use the scope you have, then this discussion is moot, as you'll be limited to about 500-600 yards using the LRD, depending on your chosen zero range.

Your best bet is going to be a .308, but if you insist on one of the others mentioned, then the 7RM would be about as good as you can get, given the limitations you've chosen to put in place.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
You're going to need a different scope for 700 yard shooting. If you want to use the scope you have, then this discussion is moot, as you'll be limited to about 500-600 yards using the LRD, depending on your chosen zero range.

What about using a 10 or 20 degree scope base ?And or Burris Signatures ,or just shim the scope base.
Wouldn,t that do it?

Your best bet is going to be a .308, but if you insist on one of the others mentioned, then the 7RM would be about as good as you can get, given the limitations you've chosen to put in place.

Thanks for your input.
Craig

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Craig,

Ain't it a fascinating constant,that the only [bleep] time you are correct,is when you are quoting me?!? Lemme letcha' in on a little "secret",in that I knowed I was right,before I typed it. Hint.

Really enjoying your "brandishing" 40yrs of "experience" as a Trump Card and frosting it,by mentioning time and again how you "don't care". Laffin'! I'm crying I'm laughing sooooooooooo [bleep] hard!

When you shoot your Imagination,just how "loud" is it to you?!?

Wow +P+!

Ocean',

Upon reflecting upon 100's of OEM spouts,you can take 'er to the bank,that S/S will foul less than CM offerings.

Add moly and there ain't no concerns at all,in them regards. I've got all them T-shirts and then some. Understatement.

Factory Fodder is amongst the last means I'd use to quantify the integrity of a platform's merit,in all but a coupla chamberings. 'Course the OP ain't within lightyears of them,due her 40 years of vast "experience".

Poor [bleep] is sooooooooooo Stupid,it almost ain't even funny.

Almost.(grin)

'shooter,

I hear good thangs about the impetus of boolits,myself.(grin)

Jordan,

She's gonna need lotsa schit,which are all beyond her means,abilities and comprehension(in no particular order). But them constants,do prolly add more than just a leetle...to the [bleep] humor.(grin)

It's never not entertaining,to watch a stupid [bleep] do stupid schit,after being shown the cause and effect of same. She's in a hurry to make a "stand" and be a "trend setter",in her haste to take Stupidity to places it's never been before.

Then the dumb kchunt Whines and makes Excuses,that 40 years of being a clueless dumbfhuqq is somehow someone else's "fault" and all that is gonna "change",with a Magical Rifle and a Magical Box of Factory Ammo.

EPIC [bleep] humor +P+!!!!

'Course when it's all said and done,there's gonna have been a [bleep] of a lot more said...than done. Not that the Clueless Chronicles ain't a rollickin' good read and funnier than [bleep].

I smell another Hissy Fit.

Laffin'!

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
No there isn,t going to be a Hissy fit ,never has been.
However this forum is about learning and having fun.

This bantering back and forth is not helping this forum at all
and I wont be a part of it anymore.

You and your hysterically laffin,hinting,laffin followers
Can continue to on with your crap.

You can have the last Moronic comment here as I dont intend to
be a part of disrupting the people who want to have fun and learn on this forum.

You can rant and rave all you want to but it will be without me.
Wont be long before a guy like you tires of ranting all by himself.

As for myself I will respond to people with helpfull courteous advice.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
As for myself I will respond to people with helpfull courteous advice.

Doesn't seem like you want to hear the advice you are asking for. Good Luck

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some of the advice I ever got was basically...."Slow the pfffuck down, buy reloading gear, and watch what the guys that shoot a ton shoot."

I'm happy I followed it (for the most part...grin)

Tanner

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If you can find 243, 7mag, and 30-06 locally as you stated, can't you also find 308? Its a relatively insanely popular round after all.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Craig,

Oh now don't go slighting the magnitude of your Hissy Fit,as it's been rather splendid...if only in fairness. I'll feign my "surprise",that you frost your Vagina Monolgue with the "dreaded" take all your marbles and run home ploy. Most excellent! What next? Imaginary Pretend Ignore?!? Laffin'!

I stated simplistic facts,that sailed over your pointy-head and you alone are taken aback,that you are too stupid to the connect dots served on a silver platter. 'Course you had the unfair "advantage" of 40 years of Dumbfhuqqtitude,to "rely" upon. Laffin'!

Fascinating,that you think that letting Clueless Kchunts wallow in the mire of their incredible ineptitude,ain't both fun and educational. Or perhaps your Imagination and Pretend are grand enough,to grant you the delusion that due your 40 years of "experience"...you are doing "great"?!? I soooooooooo [bleep] hope so,as that'd ratchet the Humor Quotient up even another notch. Laffin'!

Good talk and great "stand".

Bless your heart.

Laffin'!

MCH,

She's playing hard to get.

Laffin'!

Tanner,

Facts is indeed the most sound of foundations,from which to build upon.

A guy can make it as easy as he wants,though I do enjoys the OP's "trend setting" ways,as she obliviously schleps her stupidity and bears the "fruits" of them "satisfactions". Hell...she almost shot something,once. Laffin'!

Funny schit!

'diddle,

She can't even find a first [bleep] clue and is simply flaunting her Imagination and Pretend.

Magnificently...I might add.(grin)

Just WOW.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Craig,
For good odds of finding 600 or 700 yard accuracy try
.308, 7/08, or .260.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Not trying to be an ass but slowing down would be a good thing for you. As you said yourself the vx1 4-12x40 with LR reticle probably wouldn't be the best thing for shooting 700 yards. If your going to start shooting deer that far then slow down and spend the money to get the right equipment UP FRONT. Paper dies the easiest and rocks don't run very far if missed or wounded so if that's what you will be shooting then bang away with either of what your looking at getting. but I bet if you shoot enough you will be re investing and trying to do it right and then you've just waisted a lot (that's a relative statement for some) of money and more time. I'm not saying that it can't be done out to 700 yards with factory tubes and bullets but I can assure you it's not the best way to go. Good luck

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
There's much to be said,for keeping the pony in front of the cart.(grin)

Now I'd be the last to malign OEM spouts,mainly because I've been around 100's of 'em that were rather exceptional. Why were they so sound?!? Because they were surrounded by good triggers,good bedding,good stocks,good bases,good rings,good scopes and were fed ammo geared expressly for 'em,of the profile and integrity to reliably connect dots. Nothing was left to chance and when there's no chance..."luck" grows in non-lineal fashion. Hint. Hell...I might could even be a proponent of Test Driving an OEM spout,then punching it out to AI or other,so as to really reap some nice benefits. Re-Hint.

Conjoin same with obscene round counts and a guy can learn a couple/few thangs. Re-Re-Hint.

I asked her which "Magical" Factory Load she's gonna Pretend to use and she gave that the widest of berths. I asked which LRF and she dodged that one too. Also asked which glass and that were side-stepped. Then asked for the particulars on her current 440yd Marvel and then she said "[bleep] it" and really went to throwing a Hissy Fit. Thinkin' now she's red assed,because her Imagination is unable to make her Pretend real. Now the only move she's got,is Imaginary Pretend Ignore and the feeble HOPE that noone bumps the works to the top,as a means of keeping the humor rollin'. Laffin'!

Ain't it a right proper Dichotomy,how 40yrs of amazingly sloooooooooooow [bleep] "learning",just ain't enough "experience" to arrange a first [bleep] clue?!? Though in fairness,it's more than ample time to become exceedingly proficient at crafting Excuses,brewing Whine and flaunting a right proper Hissy Fit. Imagination and Pretend is all some folks got and it's never not hilarious,to be privvy to it's unfolding via heartfelt Vagina Monologue and always ends the same way. People crack me the [bleep] up!

Anywhoo,there's a goodly smattering of ready to roll rifles/chamberings,that'll reliably do very tidy thangs right outta da gate,yet curiously she cain't want anything to do with 'em...again due her 40yrs of "experience". Stupidity IS the gift that keeps on giving. Laffin'!

A guy makes his own "luck" and she wonders aloud,why she's been devoid same for 4 decades and wishes to continue schlepping Stupidity under the auspice,that Imagination and Pretend will do "Magical" things for her.

Fortunately for her,she's got herself convinced that nothing is something...so she'll get her way.

Laffin'!

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O

Thanks
Craig

If your not going to be turning knobs, take a look at the Zeiss Conquest with Rapid Z 800 reticle, I personally prefer their Rapid Z 600. After you find your best load you can sync. the scope at 300 or 400 yards by adjusting the power ring until your 200 yard zeroed bullets fall into the proper place on the target using the horizontals in the reticle. You may want to cut a small notch across the power ring so you can find your mark again quickly.

When you eventually come around to buying your reloading equipment, see if you can find some competition dies.

Good Luck

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Thanks
Craig

7 Mag. Better bullets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bcraig,
Make this easy. Start at the starting point before running down the road of which rifle, scope, stock, sling, shooting pad, bipod, etc... you're going to invest in.

Even if you're not going to reload, look in the back of a couple good reloading books on the tables for BC's (ballistic coefficients). Look at the tables which show drops, velocities, and which BC's have the best of both. Now, look to see how many factory offerings have bullets with these excellent BC's. That would be your best starting point.
Don't limit yourself to 7MM or .308 BC's, even though studying those alone will take you several evenings if you're really paying attention.

Once you've digested that homework, see which factory ammo not only runs those bullets which lend themselves to the long range shooting you're looking for, but also publish velocities, standard deviations for their loads, and length of barrels these were derived from.

That would be a good starting point for your quest, though it won't be your last if you are serious about this venture.

Good luck with your quest. I'm pretty sure you will find this would be much easier if you reloaded, but you may find a way to accomplish your aims with enough money thrown at factory fodder. As long as every box is exactly the same as the one you deduce your criteria from- not likely.

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 07/08/14.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Saw a couple boxes of Hornady 'Garand' .30'06 loads, 168 Amax at 2700, on the shelf at Sportsman's today. Seems like that might be a decent way to go. They were about $35/box.

I've shot close to 1000 rounds through my "700 yard" rifle in the past year. That's about $1750 bucks worth of rounds @ $35/box. You could buy a nice reloading set-up, all your components, a 10x Uber-Chicken, and still shoot 1000 rounds for that kind of dough.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
bcraig,
Make this easy. Start at the starting point before running down the road of which rifle, scope, stock, sling, shooting pad, bipod, etc... you're going to invest in.

Even if you're not going to reload, look in the back of a couple good reloading books on the tables for BC's (ballistic coefficients). Look at the tables which show drops, velocities, and which BC's have the best of both. Now, look to see how many factory offerings have bullets with these excellent BC's. That would be your best starting point.
Don't limit yourself to 7MM or .308 BC's, even though studying those alone will take you several evenings if you're really paying attention.

Once you've digested that homework, see which factory ammo not only runs those bullets which lend themselves to the long range shooting you're looking for, but also publish velocities, standard deviations for their loads, and length of barrels these were derived from.

That would be a good starting point for your quest, though it won't be your last if you are serious about this venture.

Good luck with your quest. I'm pretty sure you will find this would be much easier if you reloaded, but you may find a way to accomplish your aims with enough money thrown at factory fodder. As long as every box is exactly the same as the one you deduce your criteria from- not likely.

Bob

Yes I have been looking at Hornady ,Federal Ballistic programs ,comparing different BC and velocities and sight in distances.
I have also looked at Several Reloading Manuals I have.

Thanks

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Saw a couple boxes of Hornady 'Garand' .30'06 loads, 168 Amax at 2700, on the shelf at Sportsman's today. Seems like that might be a decent way to go. They were about $35/box.

I've shot close to 1000 rounds through my "700 yard" rifle in the past year. That's about $1750 bucks worth of rounds @ $35/box. You could buy a nice reloading set-up, all your components, a 10x Uber-Chicken, and still shoot 1000 rounds for that kind of dough.

I have an old RCBS Rockchuker press I used to use .
Mainly I used it for handgun rounds(mostly 44 Magnum )with Home cast bullets(mainly LBT molds)WFN and paper patched Pure lead bullets for use out of a 10 inch Contender.
Mostly figured that since almost all factory loads would put 3 shots at a 100 in an Inch or less out of 25-06,270,30-06 that was good enough for 400 + yard shots so why bother to reload.
Heck even a 10 inch 300 Savage barrel that J.D. Jones made for me would do 3 shots into less than an inch with Remington 150 grain factory loads With leupold 4x scope and good rest.

I See that the 30-06 load you mentioned is the same as the 308 load as factory loaded. But some of the Hornady SST Superformance loads really rock ,if the rifle would shoot them well.
Of course that load pale to the Hornady Superformance 7mm Rem mag with 3250 fps and a bc of .485 or the 154 with a BC of .525

I havent made up my mind for sure concerning caliber .
I will get the Remington 700 in some variant and going to sell a few scopes to get a Mil dot scope of some brand(I have had SWFA and Sightron mentioned to me,so I have to investigate that further.
I believe I could use a fixed 10x as a couple of guys have mentioned.
Anyway
Thanks

Last edited by bcraig; 07/08/14.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who said, "pick the bullet you want to use, then the case to drive it"? Some smart fella I'm sure.

You gotta pick the weight, construction, diameter, profile (BC), etc for your intended purpose and what you want to accomplish. Then go from there... cartridge, action, twist, stock (for intended purpose), etc. Simple, but it seems that many get married to the cartridge first when it should be the other way around.

Happens quite often with dudes I know locally. Most say, "I want to shoot medium range, and I want a 30-06." Its almost always a 30-06 or 7RM for some reason. I ask, "What boolit?". Awkward pause and blank stare... nothing... no idea. But they gotta have a 30-06!

Craig, go back... you've gotten advice from some very experienced fellas here, some of the most knowledgeable at the 'Fire or anywhere else. And, it seems like you've ticked off all of them!

You said you want to "learn". Well, they were trying to help but you kept saying, "answer my exact question and nothing else!" Not a good way to have people "help" you or "teach" you, is it?

Honestly, you're lucky you got any advice at all. If you're man enough to swallow your pride, shut-up and listen, these dudes will set you straight. And you won't get schit flicked at you unless you say something stoopid, get it? grin

Not too late to turn this around, think about it.

Just my 2-cents and good luck.

Jason

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There has never been a substitute for trigger time and dimpled primers. You could buy all the factory 7mm ammo in your county for less money than Boxer spends in a year on powder alone. That would be a LOT less. I'm not kiddin'. You may not like his style but he has not led anyone astray. Your decisions are yours alone but the advice you've been given is solid.

Black Olives Matter!!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
After being led to copious amounts of water, seems that the OP is all lathered up and sufferin' a severe case of dehydration....

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Build

Defiance Rebel Action with mated rail
ER Shaw 2.5 contour
Bell and Carlson M40 Stock
Timney Trigger
Vortex Viper LR scope
Bottom Metal? Hummm?

Sorry just had to post

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
'06!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'yen,

You mean bastard! Shaw and Vortex...that's below the [bleep] belt.

It'd be funny if she listened.

'hern,

I've shot enough '06 ammo in my life,to write more than a few books and make a coupla movies.(grin)

Pass the 7-08.

Hint.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
[Linked Image]

I can see where a 27" Shaw barrel and Vortex scope might handicap a build. I was working off of my own experience yet again.

Please disregard my previous post.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I like 120nbt's outta 708 too. Just for killing stuff nothing too fancy....grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
bcraig,

I would try the 700 LongRange in 30-06, mostly for nostalgia reasons. It will do 700yds easily. The limiting factor is the price of premium ammo.

Shoot 'em up and have fun, Tom

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'yen,

It was disregarded in all avenues,except for the humor quotient,which is in ALL fairness...offa the [bleep] charts. It is ONLY funny,because you think it isn't. Hang a picture of that POS. I bet she's a real looker and "balances"/"handles" exceptionally well to boot. Laffin'!

Despite your professed "excellence" of the melding,I do enjoy how you cain't get the [bleep] thing sighted in. That some real Dumb [bleep] Don Savage99 schit there! Laffin'!

OEM 1st Gen Ti 7-08,3050fps 120's,Re-15 kiss,308 brass headspaced false shoulder,yada,yada,yada.

3.5-10x Non-A/O and LW's.

[Linked Image]

MPAJ no less. Just sayin'.

[Linked Image]

MPAJ'd Buck.

[Linked Image]

Good talk.

Laffin'!

(Addendum: Because I thought it couldn't get ANY funnier)

It sure as [bleep] did.

That is a Grade AA double throwdown piece of [bleep] schit abortion.

Holy [bleep] schit...THAT is funny!!!!

WOWWWWWWWWWWWW.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Whoever won that bet was a cruel bastard.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

449 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10ring1, 163bc, 36 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.