Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I was looking at the CZ website and was disappointed to see that their 223 rifles are 1 in 12". Which 223 bolt action rifles are available with a 1 in 8" or a 1 in 9" twist?

Thanks!

BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ruger is 1 in 9" Their cheap is also tight twisted. Remingtons tactical is 1 in 9, Salvage offers 1 in 9�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy the 1-8 tikka in the classifieds now!

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tikkas are skookum!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
thanks, I was checking that one out. I have never heard of any Tikka that was not accurate. I used to have a Whitetail Hunter in 30-06 that was sub MOA no matter what I loaded into it. That was factory ammo back before I started reloading. I'm an idiot for letting that rifle go.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Ruger is 1 in 9" Their cheap is also tight twisted. Remingtons tactical is 1 in 9, Salvage offers 1 in 9�.

I like Rugers!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The Ruger American .223 has a 1-8 twist.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just remember if you buy a fast twist, not to push the lighter jacketed bullets quickly; or its shotgun city.

Last edited by Darkker; 07/06/14.

I'm a firm believer in the theory of " If it bleeds, I can kill it".
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Darkker
Just remember if you buy a fast twist, not to push the lighter jacketed bullets quickly; or its shotgun city.

That's good to know. I plan to use it for coyotes and groundhogs and hopefully not mess up the pelt on the coyotes.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Depends on the light bullet. I've pushed 40-grain Nosler Ballistic Tips plenty hard in a 1-8 twist with no problems.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and 40 gr. varmageddons, Vmaxes, blitzkings here.. No breakups.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not "light" in bullet weight, light as in construction. RPM destroys things, not velocity.
I already did the calling for you.

http://www.shootersforum.com/ballistics-internal-external/78073-f-y-i-varmint-bullet-rpm-limits.html

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you do know this isn't new information, right?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I got a question for you dudes�

Shoot a deer with a cnc bullet in a tight twist .223, is it gonna perform, or blow up?

I know a regular 55 grain Hornady performs in a 1 in 12 twist�. but wondered if it would come apart in the 1 in 8???

Last edited by ingwe; 07/06/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 2 aftermarket one in eights, never had an issue with 40 VMs or BKs doing anything untoward. You'd have to really make them scream, which seems to me counterproductive anyway in a "big" 22 bigger than BR.
My old factory 1 in 9 Savage also shot 40s without issue, they never blew up, but the harder I pushed, the less well they shot.
I'm just WAITING for someone to neck down those x47 Lapua cases into some kind of nutz 22 wildcatt. Watched a friend shoot his 6x47 bench rifles and was impressed.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Shoot a deer with a cnc bullet in a tight twist .223, is it gonna perform, or blow up?

I know a regular 55 grain Hornady performs in a 1 in 12 twist�. but wondered if it would come apart in the 1 in 8???

I'm betting they work great.. I have to load some of those up this season.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I've shot a couple does with 55 grain Hornadys out of an 8 twist 223 AI. They died promptly with no drama.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've shot lot of light bullets through a lot of barrels, and in my experience it takes a HOT barrel and a very thin-skinned bullet ay very high velocity to cause problems.

Some years ago was shooting prairie dogs in Kansas in 100+ degree weather, with ammo using a new thin-jacketed hollow-point bullet from a major manufacturer. I was shooting a .223 and my buddy was shooting a .22-250, and he got the barrel hot enough to burn the forend of his walnut-stocked rifle. There weren't any flames but there was smoke, and we had to dip the rifle into the melted ice-water in a big cooler to put it out.

The other thing that happened was that even after cooling down his rifle in the water, after a few shots accuracy went to hell. We finally shot it on paper, and not only were the shots from a hot barrel scattered, but you could see a swirl of lead around each bullet hole. This didn't happen with the .223, no matter how hot it got. Both rifles had the then-standard twists for each rifle, 1-12 in .223 and 1-14 in .22-250.

Was also once shooting a VERY fast 6mm wildcat on PD's which belonged to a friend of mine. It had a 1-10 twist and after the barrel got warm some bullets didn't make it far. There'd be a puff of something dark maybe 5-10 feet in front of the muzzle, and no bullet strike downrange.

But I've yet to see anything like that happen with a .223 of any twist. Not that it couldn't, but it would take a heck of a lot of heat, probably enough to start cooking off rounds.

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Kimber has a one in nine inch twist.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

I've shot a couple does with 55 grain Hornadys out of an 8 twist 223 AI. They died promptly with no drama.

Good to know. Thanks PG!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Regular loads in one of my Savage FP's are easy to spin apart the Dogtown's.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Remington factory 50gr hollow points will go five into five-eights/in/100yd out of my Wylde 1in8 Montana Rifle AR barrel, about the same as it shoots 77gr SMK's

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Regular loads in one of my Savage FP's are easy to spin apart the Dogtown's.

Savages are famous for really rough bores, which could be the cause of your problems.

Also, what grain Dogtowns are you using? Midway claims a 4000 fps limit, and a 223 could get there with the 34 grainers.

I've never had any problems with light plastic tipped bullets in fast twist 22s, and that includes a decent pile of 223s and 223 AIs, a 220 Swift, and a 22-6.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've shot lot of light bullets through a lot of barrels, and in my experience it takes a HOT barrel and a very thin-skinned bullet ay very high velocity to cause problems.

And sometimes it happens in a cool barrel with standard weight bullets. Several (too many) years ago, I was working on new loads for a 22-250 in Rem 700 varminter with a standard twist heavy barrel. The bullets were some double hollow point 50 grainers from Jim Calhoun. The groups were clustering OK when all of a sudden there were no more holes in the target for the next powder increase. It turns out the bullets were coming apart in mid-air, and those small dust clouds downrange weren't dust at all. Of course, on the outside of the box, Jim had printed on the box "Not for velocities over 3600 fps", or words to that effect. But hell, what guy ever reads the instructions...LOL

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's very interesting. I've shot quite a few Calhoon double hollow points, but not over 3500 fps! Can't remember if that was pure chance, or I actually read the directions....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I have had the odd bullet come apart in mid-air from a .223 with a 10 twist. Speer TNTs and NBTs�.always on a hot barrel day on a PD town somewhere and Ive done enough of that kind of shooting to wonder if maybe the bullet didn't hit a bee or other bug?

Instructions are for sux.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Until a few days ago would a hard time believing that about Ballistic Tips, since have shot a bunch of .224's from various rounds at up to 4400 fps from different twists, often with the barrels really hot, and never seen it happen.

But put some 120-grain Ballistic Tips through a 26 Nosler the other day at over 3500 fps and only two of five hit an 18x18" target at 100 yards. All the other bullets tried went into 1.5" or less, usually MUCH less.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've had a few Barnes TTSX's shed their jackets...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Until a few days ago would a hard time believing that about Ballistic Tips, since have shot a bunch of .224's from various rounds at up to 4400 fps from different twists, often with the barrels really hot, and never seen it happen.

But put some 120-grain Ballistic Tips through a 26 Nosler the other day at over 3500 fps and only two of five hit an 18x18" target at 100 yards. All the other bullets tried went into 1.5" or less, usually MUCH less.

I thought the 120 NBT had a beefed up jacket?

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Marlin XS7 1-9

MAGA! This is the way!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It does. I've used them and seen them used on deer-sized game at muzzle velocities around 3100-3200, from 1-8 twists, and they worked fine, both in accuracy and penetration. But 3500+ is another deal, apparently.

Nosler just introduced a 120-grain E-Tip 6.5mm, but didn't have any to try.

John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Cores out of whack/slipping perhaps?

That's odd.
Nosler solid base stuff is legendary for keeping obturation down and imparting rotational torque, by design. The impact extrusion method also is well known for "coddling cores" and keeping/having cores balanced.

I recall us having this conversation and mentioning how speed and twist proof BTs were!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've never sectioned the 6.5 120 NBT, but have many of the other Noslers. I'd just read that it had a little more jacket. I've found accuracy in the 2850-2900 range and never worried about the bullet coming apart at that velocity.

I've yet to have a Nosler come apart that I'm aware of and I've shot a bunch of 40's in an 8" twist 223, including the Varmageddon. My 223 RAR Predator loves them at 3800fps...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I thought the 120 NBT had a beefed up jacket?

I believe you're thinking of the 120 in 7mm.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nope. I've sectioned that one. The jacket is thicker at the tip than the 140. I read it's the same jacket, but shorter, hence less taper at the polymer tip.

I've read on here (and heard it elsewhere) that the 6.5 120 is beefed up a tad too.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The 6.5 120 is pretty stout. The couple I've seen recovered were on angling shots, and were classic mushrooms. One of them went through a pronghorn buck's shoulder during it's journey.

I told my contact at Nosler about my experience and he found it very interesting--and brought up the new 6.5mm E-Tip. The fastest velocity listed for the 120 in their manual is a little over 3300 (.264 Winchester) so I don't think they've ever pushed it to 3500+--and the velocity in my rifle was above 3550.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by smokinggun
I was looking at the CZ website and was disappointed to see that their 223 rifles are 1 in 12". Which 223 bolt action rifles are available with a 1 in 8" or a 1 in 9" twist?

Thanks!

Ruger

Remington's PSP Tactical.

Kimber

Salvage

Howa (be sure it's a new one)

I think that's all...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
A lot of good info here. Thanks to all who responded. I'm going to take my time picking out a rifle instead of rushing into it like I have in the past. Decisions, decisions. smile

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I vote Howa, for the record...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Remington's tactical model with the houge over moulded stock has a 9 twist. My e shoots pretty good. Just toss the houge and got a hs stock.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a Win M 70 Coyote with a 1 in 9 twist bbl. I loaded up a bunch of Sierra Blitz 50 grainers that shot great at sea level, but when I got out shooting squirrels at a higher elevation they came apart. I figured it could have been the fact that the bbl was fouled from the 400-500 40gr Vmaxes I'd already shot or it was the elevation. Never even thought about it being a hot bbl. It was kinda neat watching them come apart but it kinda sucked having a bunch of rounds I couldn't shoot. I was lucky and traded about 1300 of em straight across for 40 gr Vmaxes to a nice fella on the fire!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've had a few Barnes TTSX's shed their jackets...

Huh>?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I was being ironical

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I was being ironical

sure that wasn't copperical? smile

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
1:7 twist with Tikka T3.

Magazine length is also a standard length rather than shortened, can load 80gr to mag length and have a repeater.

Several models, sporter, varmint, tactical.

Can even single-load 90gr if they will group for you. Often need a 6.5 twist for those.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Where can I get one of these 1:7 twist Tikkas?

J
J
1:8 Tikka sporter

Shoots everything well

favorite load includes 52gr TNT and H322

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You might be able to find a 1/8 before a 1/7...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
169 members (444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,998 guests, and 960 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.