Print Thread
Hop To
S
Sako Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
OK all, I am asking for your suggestions.... I have a list of things below I would be looking for in a camera... I will probably by from Cameraland as I have bought a lot of scopes from them and trust them...

Currently, I do not have an SLR... I use the camera on my phone ... I know the horrors... smile

My son is now 12 years old and we love to fish, hunt and he is VERY into travel baseball.... Several of the people on the teams have SLRs that take multiple photos a second on a button push and I love this feature... I would be using this for casual photography. I do like taking pictures when we are fishing and during baseball...

Features I would like.

* Ability to take multiple pictures per second
* Good buy for the money
* 18MP would be fine... more would be ok but I am not using this for "pro" stuff, just family fun
* Full Auto for my wife... focus, exposure, etc
* Ability to not be full Auto as well... smile
* Good low light performance
* good color symmetry

not really concerned as much about recording movies... I have a gopro for that...

I do not have anything... so no lens to take into consideration.. I do not believe I will need a huge zoom... however, I do like taking close up Photos...

I would like to stay in the $500 to $ 1k range...

I am sure I am forgetting some things.... what do you recommend and why? What am I forgetting to consider...

Thanks for all the help...

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd suggest looking in the big box stores like Costco or a dedicated camera store like Cameraland at either a Nikon or Canon kit. They will have something like 28-55mm and 55-250 lenses. All are "auto" ready for us simple minded folks and have a ton of manual functions as well if situations get tough. They might just be pushing the top end of your budget, but one typically finds bigger is better in the long run.

Most can also do about 8 to 16 frames per second on "sport settings" depending on ones desired image resolution. Big megapixels counts obviously being a bit slower.

I'd suggest Googling up the tech sheets for several models, nailing it down to a few options, and then exploring prices.

Used or refurbished might be fine if they come with a company backed warranty. Given the dollars out, I like to have some time to put things through their paces and secure a fix if an issue pops up. If a new purchase, one might consider an extended warranty, again if it's company backed. Few if any of the extended warranties offered by second parties are worth the paper they're printed on.

With baseball and eventual desires to pull in fielding images one might want to step up to something like a 100-400 lens, but one could wait for a year or so to build up a little cash. The good, bad, and ugly facets of the hobby are that one can always add to the equipment bag if a family member really gets involved.

Some years ago, I created a monster by picking up a camera for Cookie. The next additions to her kit just might need a cosigner, and she burns more fuel chasing wildlife than I do in a full year of hunting/fishing.

Good luck and have fun.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/08/14.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sako
OK all, I am asking for your suggestions.... I have a list of things below I would be looking for in a camera... I will probably by from Cameraland as I have bought a lot of scopes from them and trust them...

Currently, I do not have an SLR... I use the camera on my phone ... I know the horrors... smile

My son is now 12 years old and we love to fish, hunt and he is VERY into travel baseball.... Several of the people on the teams have SLRs that take multiple photos a second on a button push and I love this feature... I would be using this for casual photography. I do like taking pictures when we are fishing and during baseball...

Features I would like.

* Ability to take multiple pictures per second
* Good buy for the money
* 18MP would be fine... more would be ok but I am not using this for "pro" stuff, just family fun
* Full Auto for my wife... focus, exposure, etc
* Ability to not be full Auto as well... smile
* Good low light performance
* good color symmetry

not really concerned as much about recording movies... I have a gopro for that...

I do not have anything... so no lens to take into consideration.. I do not believe I will need a huge zoom... however, I do like taking close up Photos...

I would like to stay in the $500 to $ 1k range...

I am sure I am forgetting some things.... what do you recommend and why? What am I forgetting to consider...

Thanks for all the help...

18mp is crazy... digital passed film at 5mp. For what you are describing you should be able to get used gear that will be way more than you "need" for not nearly as much money.

Lenses are where the real costs are, and should be. Any discontinued DSLR model of Nikon or Canon will be perfect and you can shop for price. Cameraland has the occasional used set-up, too.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think Ken Rockwell does a good job rating cameras and lenses.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

When you find one that interests you, check out the review at DPreview.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews

I personally like Nikon because all my film lenses work on my digital Nikon, a D200. Still prefer film.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll bet Camera Land can help you with anything you may want or need at a fair price.
The last time I was in Costco both the Canon and Nikon DSLR's were featured with two lens's, case, and both were under $600.00!
I bought a Nikon D3100 that will do all of things you want it to do from Costco (a few years ago), but would have bought it from Camera Land if I would have known then how good they are to deal with!!
Of course after awhile you will be wanting to go bigger and better! wink

Just my opinion,
Ken

Last edited by kennymauser; 07/08/14.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think any of the current consumer camera kits should meet your requirements. You should definitely give Joel or one of his staff a call at Camera Land and see what they have available. Very often they will have kits that aren't available at big box stores and can only be sold at specialty stores. Make sure you let him know you are a member of the Campfire, he always has extra special pricing for members.
My personal recommendation is to see what a Canon T4 or T5i with a Tamron 18-270mm lens will run. Great kit set up with perfect range.

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CameraLandTamronPhotAdv
...My personal recommendation is to see what a Canon T4 or T5i with a Tamron 18-270mm lens will run...

A one-lens-does-it-all solution is usually a big mistake. It means you are always stuck with an extra large, extra long lens with too small an aperture for many purposes.

Stick with major brands. And look for zoom lenses with an approximately 3:1 zoom ratio, certainly not 15:1.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

S
Sako Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the advice.... Spoke with Joel.... Headed the Cannon Ti route

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
with an approximately 3:1 zoom ratio, certainly not 15:1.

A couple years ago when I was looking at lenses, the rule of thumb seemed to be a multiple of 4. While I cannot attest to any first hand research, I too think a 15:1 ratio is a bit extreme.

1Minute
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I totally disagree with the idea that you can not get great quality with a zoom larger than 4x. I have been shooting the new 16-300 which is 18x and it is very sharp both wide open and zoomed all the way in. If you haven't looked at the images I posted earlier with the lens, you should. I carried it to the Tetons a couple of weeks ago along with several other lenses, about 90% of what I shot was with that lens.
Technology today is leaps and bounds above the days where you couldn't get the sharpness. I have shot hundreds of pics through that lens (18-270) and have had no problems. Everyone should do themselves a favor and find a way to shoot the lens.
I don't mean to sound like I am on a rant, but one of the best things I ever did to advance my career as a professional photographer was to try "other" manufacturers. I have found that in some cases the "other" lenses are actually sharper (DXO ratings) than the much more expensive big name lenses. Simple math: Sharper lens, less money = the ability to have money to go places and shoot the lens. Evaluate each lens to find the sharpest option.

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
In looking at sensor scores on DXO, you will find the Nikon sensors perform better than the Canon, especially at a higher ISO when you will want to bump it up for indoors or sports and using a slower variable aperture lens. To fit your budget, I would suggest something like a Nikon D3200/3300 or 5200. For a longer lens for sports, I would choose the Nikon or Tamron 70-300. You would be using the sharper center of these full frame lenses. On DXO, you can also compare these lenses to the Tamron 16-300 or 18-270.

The Canon t5i is also the 700D
http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Comp...S-700D-versus-Canon-EOS-7D___928_870_619

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I wouldn't buy a camera with a kit lens unless it was a lens I wanted. When I got my D5000 I turned down the kit lens and got the 18-105 instead. later I added the 55-300 but after seeing the photo's here with the 16-300 Tamron, I could go for it. Your obviously not a pro and probably have no intention of shooting photo's for sale. You don't need top of the line anything. I think my D5000 is 12 pix's, it's more than enough for anything I do. You might see if Cameraland sells re-furbished cameras. You can save quite a bit on them and get good equipment at the same time.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I agree that one of the entry level rigs will do in this case. I also agree that an all-in-one lens might be the way to go for you, and especially your wife at full auto. I don't have one so I can't say they are great, and many folks gripe about them, but I just finished thumbing through several of my Outdoor Photography magazines and I saw more than a couple simply outstanding photos featured that were taken with something like a 18-270 or 18-200. And they weren't ads either. I doubt the average person can pick out the differences between something shot with these as opposed to something nicer. In specific situation, like taking portraits with my 85mm or wanting to go ultrawide with my 16-35, the all-in-one will not cut if for me, but in your case, you just want to get the shot.

As another option, have you looked at something like a Nikon P7700 or P7800? I think they can shoot in bursts, plus they are smaller and probably cheaper than going with a DSLR and multiple lenses. In fact, I'm thinking about giving one a try. If I'm carrying my 16-35 and suddenly need more reach, or I'm out to 300mm and suddenly need something wide, a P7800 might be just the ticket to keep with me just in case. Just my 2 cents.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
If u want a quakitty camera that is fast check out a canon 7d. It's a cropped sensor, unless u are a professional u don't need full frame. For a lens get a quality canon L series in 35-85 with the lowest f stop you can afford. Check out adoroma.com they're can find what u need in a semi used like factory new camera and lens at a lower rate... All though I have used camera land it may be just as good or better. Good luck. Pm me if you have any questions. Me and my wife own a photography business

Now therefore take , I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison ;

Genesis 27:3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Panasonic FZ200 super zoom. For long range.

Panasonic TS5 for handy in the pocket all weather.

Be about $800 for both. You won't regret it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
827 members (06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 78 invisible), 3,260 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,713
Posts18,400,305
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.