Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by geedubya
BN17,

Don't the water in toilet bowls swirl clockwise below the equator?
Perhaps your location in regards to the earth's axis has an effect on the way SST's impact, and make's em fly flat out like a lizard drinkin', there "down under"

Best,

GWB

PS: one of my fav's.....

A quite rich Englishman and his wife are touring Australia in a hired limousine. The wife happens to look out the window and sees an Aussie doing something with a kangaroo. She asks her husband:" Dear,is that man doing something indecent with that animal?"

The Englishman looks and is appalled. He tells his wife to look away. He also tells her that he will register a stern complaint with the 5 star hotel they are registered at.

They arrive at the hotel. As they get out of the limousine, they both see a one legged man wanking off on the steps. The English couple are now truly appalled.

The Englishman storms to the hotel desk and says:" This is truly an awful country. My wife and I just saw a man performing sex with a kangaroo -and now we see a one legged man masturbating on the steps of your hotel! What do you have to say about this?"

The Aussie desk clerk says: " "Well, mate, you can't expect a one legged man to get his own kangaroo, can you?"

Yep and its a true story.

The good news is that for us two legged blokes, we can cover the ground a bit quicker and don't have to put up with an ugly roo!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH

You're nipping at the crux of the problem. Folks get so enamored of LR performance they forget what happens when more fragile,lighter jacketed bullets impact heavy game(and sometimes light game)) at magnum velocity.Then they blame the bullet when it was the application that was wrong.

The 140 AB that does well at 300+ yards from a 7mm magnum may not do so good at close range where velocity is high....pretty certain a 160 AB would have done much better.

In the 7mm Rem Mag, and dealing with a bull moose at close range(any range for that matter) a 150 SS II would not make my short list.

I believe there was some chatter about that subject and Accubond Long Range bullets as well.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
140 NAB.... ain't exactly a 'LR' load.... that's pretty much your standard "3 inches high at 100, and I can hold on fur to 500!" kind of load you see stuffed in rifles from Maine to Montucky.

I've stated quite qlearly... more BC ain't bad, given adequate projectile integrity for intended purpose. It ain't hard to kill deer, or antelope, or black bears, or 'bou.... so bullets don't need to be built as stout. Add in the fact that most LR bullets are both heavy for caliber, and launched sub-3000 fps... and it doesn't take a whole lotta bullet to get the job done.

Now if we're talking bull elk/moose.... or something that could shred me/stomp me to death.... I'm thinking my requirements will be a bit different. I don't see any of the above as a LR proposition... so we agree there... pass the TTSX in that case.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 16bore
Originally Posted by BobinNH

You're nipping at the crux of the problem. Folks get so enamored of LR performance they forget what happens when more fragile,lighter jacketed bullets impact heavy game(and sometimes light game)) at magnum velocity.Then they blame the bullet when it was the application that was wrong.

The 140 AB that does well at 300+ yards from a 7mm magnum may not do so good at close range where velocity is high....pretty certain a 160 AB would have done much better.

In the 7mm Rem Mag, and dealing with a bull moose at close range(any range for that matter) a 150 SS II would not make my short list.

I believe there was some chatter about that subject and Accubond Long Range bullets as well.

16B - I've seen the same reports about the LRAB. Not so much on the NAB though.

Bob - The fellas that had the 140gr NAB blow-up are going back to the 139gr SST as they've had good performance with that bullet from the 7RM. I thought the SST would be "softer" and more explosive than the NAB.

The fella that shot the moose with the 150gr SS II has killed a pile of deer, elk, and moose with the 150gr Core-Lokt and is going back to that ammo. I thought the SS II was a "harder" bullet than the CL, and harder than most bonded bullets? Either way, he says moose are a lot easier to kill than elk and has never had a problem with the 150gr CL.

J

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MagMarc
So are we all in agreement the OP needs to go 270 in a 70 with 130 GKs unless he wants to kill rocks with a 375 and Hornadys grin

I have to admit, the one time I shot a whitetail with a .270 and 130 GK's the reaction was impressive. 100 yards, quartering away, hit just behind the near shoulder. Stood straight up on his hind legs, then collapse in a heap. The heart was more or less intact, but it fell out of the chest when opened. smile

No exit, no core found, just the jacket against the far side of the hide. The bullet didn't "fail" since the deer died, but I probably won't use one of them again. At least, not out of the mighty Ruger #1 .270 grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

339 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 1,906 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,644
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.