Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just re-read this fine article by Jack Steele, and I can't disagree with any point he makes about the finest all around big game cartridge ever! I have two .300 WinMags and really like them both, though if I had to keep just one it would be my Styer Forrester. Just put on your favorite piece of glass and be done with it. wink

The .300 Winchester
by Jack Steele

SAY YOU WANTED to hunt with just one big-game rifle. Have it become an extension of your own body. Know it like the smell of your Dad's wool coat. Say you wanted it in a caliber flat enough to poke coyotes at long distance but powerful enough to make a bull elk take notice at the far end of a cross-canyon shot. Say you wanted it all in one package so you could always count on that one rifle to get the job done. Sound like a pipe dream?

The do-it-all rifle is not a myth, as many a seasoned rifleman knows. In fact, while the gunrags do a healthy business recommending good calibers for this, and best bullet for that, it's a fact that when flying lead doesn't have the intended results, it's the man behind the rifle that's almost certainly to blame. Show me a man who blames a miss on his rifle, and I'll show you a rifleman in need of polish, which leads to the primary reason behind choosing one good rifle -- polished skills.

Of course, the best way to polish skills is by shooting your chosen Betsy often and from real-life shooting positions. A rifle that feels right and doesn't kick like a mule goes a long way toward promoting regular practice. So does reloading for it, which will promote accuracy and increased familiarity.

It goes without saying that a one-rifle battery should be as accurate as possible. In practical terms, however, a 2-MOA rifle is plenty good enough for most big-game hunting. Latch onto a rifle that consistently shoots 1 MOA, and you'll regret the day you part with it. Any big-game rifle more precise than that should be considered an heirloom.

What really gets interesting, however, is deciding on a caliber. Ask five seasoned riflemen for their top choice, and you can expect five different opinions, all vehement, all well reasoned.

The .30-06 is the perennial all-mention, and rightly so; there's no rust on the classic. The .270 Winchester, aside from being a hell of a caliber, was Jack O'Connor's darling (though he admitted the ought-six probably was better) and therefore commands a prodigious following. The .338 Winchester Magnum was a favorite of Elmer Keith and is a superb choice for the steel-shouldered. The 7mm Remington Magnum does a whole lot with class.

Lots of others, most notably the .308 Winchester and the .280 Remington as well as various Weatherby Magnums and a slew of wildcats, can and do fit the bill. But the .300 Winchester Magnum -- the .300 Win. Mag. just might be the best of all! Except for the big brownies, which rate their own .375 H&H Magnum to many minds, the North-American hunter with a good .300 Winny has all the rifle he will ever need. And then some.

So, why not the .30-06? Why not, indeed. The good ol' ought-six is still a top choice. From 'chucks to elk, it is a serious caliber for the serious hunter, no question about it.

There is one area, however, where the ought-six gives up some ground, and that's when it comes to pushing heavy bullets -- the kind you want when big, tough critters like elk and moose are on the program. Yes, the classic .30-06 load pushing a 180-grain pill at 2700-2800 ft/sec will do almost anything you need, but throw in a big bull elk across a wide canyon at dusk, and the Winny gets the nod. Consider that at 400 yards, the Winny's 3100 ft/sec with the same 180-grainer gets you 450 ft/lbs more terminal energy and five inches less drop.

If that weren't telling enough, jump up to the 200-grain rock ,and by today's mega-magnum standards the 2550 ft/sec generated by a .30-06 case can be considered positively lethargic, although for close work in heavy timber, the combination is hard to beat.

By contrast, the Winny pushes the 200-grainer to a speedy 2950 ft/sec with careful reloads. At 400 yards, this translates into almost 700 ft/lbs more terminal energy and a trajectory flattened by 7 inches. That is the kind of difference that makes a difference on tough game.

Bottom line: While the .30-06 still may be the finest all-around caliber, it says here that if elk are in your plans (and elk are increasingly in everyone's plans) the .300 Winchester might be a better choice.

The same analysis applies to the .270 Winchester. By all accounts a hell of a sheep and deer caliber, throw elk into the equation and the .270 becomes marginal. Sure, there are elk hunters who shoot their bull with a .270 every year, but they are the exception. Most of the savvy elk crowd considers the .270 either too small or the absolute bare minimum for wapiti.

Suffice it to say that, at 400 yards, the .270 shooting 130 spitzers and the .300 Win. Mag. shooting 200-grain spitzers have virtually identical trajectories. The difference is that the .270 arrives carrying roughly 1300 ft/lbs of energy (below the 1500 ft/lbs often cited as a minimum for elk) while the Winny will deliver over a ton of energy, almost 2300 ft/lbs What the great .270 is to deer and sheep, the .300 Winny is to elk. Bad medicine.

As to the 7mm Remington Magnum, this fine caliber is often considered to be the ought-six's ballistic clone. The 7-Rem's small advantages in sectional density are offset by the .30-06's increased frontal area. The ought-six has an advantage in that more and heavier bullets are readily available, especially for the handloader, but basically, in the field you could choose one or the other and never notice the difference. So as versatile, accurate, and popular as this .284 is, the .30-06 retains an edge, and the .300 WinMag outclasses them both.

The .338 Winchester Magnum is another thing altogether. By all accounts a large caliber by North-American standards, it has been said that true recoil starts at the .338. A seasoned rifleman who practices regularly certainly should have no trouble handling the .338, but for many casual shooters, the .338 is simply too much rifle to shoot regularly or accurately.

It is noteworthy, however, that in terms of the wide spectrum of game animals available in North America, the .338 is probably the most well centered. A fair choice for the big brown bears (though a .375 H&H is superior for this work by an order of magnitude), the .338 is rightly considered by many as the preeminent elk caliber, while still being plenty flat enough for whitetails, antelope, and even coyotes. Take the big bears out of the equation, however, which they are for the vast majority of hunters, and the .338 becomes a too large shoulder pounder for most weekend warriors, though still optimal for dedicated wapiti chasers. Let face it. You don't need a .338 for any whitetail walking the earth.

By contrast, the beauty of the .300 WinMag is that it is so well suited to the typical range of hunting experiences to be had in North America.

After plains game? 180-grain Ballistic Tips at 3100 ft/sec equal bad mule-deer medicine and devastating performance on pronghorns. The same load is a ringer in "beanfield" situations. Elk and moose in your plans? Load 200-grain Partitions or A-Frames at 2900 ft/sec, and be assured that you have the right gun! Feel like practicing on coyotes or chucks? Scream some 165-grain boattails at 3250 ft/sec, and worry about your end of the rifle.

Like with all calibers, there are situations where a different caliber would be ideal, but for all-around versatility, flat trajectory, and high energy, the .300 Winchester Magnum shines, maybe like no other.

In the end, the choice of an all-around rifle depends on many factors. If you like a gun, you are much more likely to shoot it and shoot it well, so choose a rifle you like. Also, any experienced rifleman knows that where you hit 'em is much more important than what you hit 'em with, so place your emphasis on skills rather than on the size of the rock. But when all that is said and done, take a good hard look at the .300 Winchester.

You may not look any further.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
GB1

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Seems like an ought-six article to me....... :-)

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by vacrt2002
Seems like an ought-six article to me....... :-)

One "needs" at least three or four ought-six's grin

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I have 3-.30-06's with another on lay away. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
An 06 is a great rifle, I use mine to keep the gun safe door open while I get something worthwhile to go shooting with..
Any thing a an 06 can do, the .300 can do better.. Even recoil..

Molon Labe
IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
An 06 is a great rifle, I use mine to keep the gun safe door open while I get something worthwhile to go shooting with..
Any thing a an 06 can do, the .300 can do better.. Even recoil..

Molon Labe
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Have 3-.300 magnums also. The H&H/Winchester/Weatherby.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good article

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
elk, that is the spirit.. I like my 06, but just like the 300's more.. H & H, Win.(2), WSM, Wea. Some of my ex-students are going to be well armed when I am through.

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Just fer schitz n' giggles........

http://www.reloadersnest.com/article_300hh_oct2803.asp

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
While I do not own a .300 Win Mag, I have a lot of respect for it. It is a formidable cartridge, capable of killing everything on our continent. However, many cartridges have killed everything on our continent long before someone decided to put belts on cartridges.

Within reason, a cartridge ain't as important as interrupting a big game animal's ability to pump oxygenated blood to its brain. Biology is controlling. Put a bullet from any suitable big game cartridge into an animal's heart and/or lungs and it will die.

Were I given a hunting do-over, I'd buy a good-quality .280 Rem and never look back. But others assuredly feel the same way about many other cartridges.

I do admire men who can shoot big bore rifles, especially off benches. I'll be right up front with my limiting my recoil threshold to the 7MM Rem Mag. I have an original Guide Gun. I've fired about three hand loaded .45/70 Gov't rounds filled with a healthy dose of IMR-3031 & a 400 grain Speer bullet. That gun about knocked me back to the Middle Ages. I doubt whether Muhammad Ali hit harder. I have fired other big rifles including the mighty .300 Win Mag. I'm good with a 7MM Rem Mag.

The .300 Win Mag is popular because it works as advertised. Whether it will kill any better than an '06 is doubtful.

An adage I learned too many years ago to remember when I first heard it goes like this: a .243 Win to the boiler room is a whole lot better than an '06 in the guts. It was true then, and it still is.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I can say from having shot many head of game with a .243 and .300, a .300 through the boiler room does much more damage..
If the new premium bullets improve a .243, what then do they do for bigger calibers, nothing..???

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
WyoCoyoteHunter,

The point is putting bullets where they need to go.

Take care,

SS

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Also, much of the critics of the .300 have never used one.. I remember thinking the same crap myself.. Having read dear old Uncle Jack's articles since I was 9 or 10.. When I turned about 20 had some money to spend, and spend some time with riflemen who shot more than a .257 Roberts, or 30-06, I realized, what I had been reading wasn't the whole story.. You may not need a .300, maybe you can't shoot one, that is fine.. But I have noticed over the years, guys who get their way paid on hunts, often use lighter calibers.. Guys who pay their own way want the best they can get..

Molon Labe
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Great article, I own 2 identical Remington 700 XCR II rifles in .300 WM, they are my go-to rifles..... I find it amusing when guys whine about too much recoil with a .300 WM but they are fine with 30-06 ( some true pansys even whine about 30-06 recoil) I can tell very little difference between the recoil of these two....I have experienced far more recoil shooting 3.5" 12 ga pump shotguns and 3" slug guns.......I think the writer hit the nail on the head when he wrote that true rifle recoil starts at .338 WM.......Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always just shake my head when I read that 300's are heavy and kick too much.

My Ex wife shot a sub 7.5 Brown stocked 30-338 and never once complained about recoil. In fact on her first trip to South Africa killed 14 animals with 14 shots, out to a shade over 300 yds.

Horror of all horrors with 180 Corelocks at a bit over 3000 fps.

She weighed a bit under 135 lbs.

Last edited by 6MMWASP; 07/08/14.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
VaHillbilly,

Closing in on two years ago, I was at a So Cal range sighting in my .308 Win for a then upcoming Utah mule deer hunt. There was a studly dude who was about in his early 30's sighting in his brand new .300 Win Mag. He was shooting right nest to me. He had to go a solid 6'2" and maybe 220 with no flab. He was a well put-up dude. He told me that it was his first big game rifle. He was leaving the following day for a Montana mule deer hunt. I could see he was flinching and having difficulty. I loaned him my rests. After a few more shots, he was done. He said his shoulder was too sore to continue shooting. He had a solid 6" group, high left. To my way of sighting in rifles, his rifle was far from it. In contrast, I was sighting in my Featherweight .308 Win. I had three shots touching each other, dead center, about 1.5" high. For me: one shot, one dead buck. I really hope the studly dude killed a buck. He was a damned nice guy.

Buying big guns is one thing. Shooting them accurately is another as I found out with my Guide Gun.

BTW, before he left the range he said something to me about using his uncle's .25-'06 Rem.

My guess is he bought his .300 Win Mag after reading hunting magazines. But that's just a guess.

I can shoot big bore rifles. I just prefer to not shoot them. And I know that my 7MM Rem Mag will kill just as dead any elk shot with bigger guns. And a .280 Rem will kill elk just as dead as a 7MM Rem Mag. Elk can't live sans hearts and/or lungs. What destroys them is immaterial. That they are destroyed is.

But maybe I'm wrong. I haven't taken biology since my freshman year of college. Might just be that elk have become immune to biology...

M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
300 win mag the " finest all round big game cartridges ever"?

Don't know how one could claim that really. It's one weakness is that short little neck.

Apart from factory ammo availability, the 300 Wby is superior to it in every way.....certainly as far as 300 mags go anyway......

Last edited by mlg; 07/08/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yea that short neck sure does hold it back. Just don't know from what?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MLG is right. I would pick the 300WBY over the Winchester version, but not by much. Either makes a very fine one and done cartridge for all hunting in the US, and 99% of it overseas.

Factory ammo did someone say? I have seen my clients, in a pinch, use 300 WinMag ammo in a 300 WBY to great effect. 300 H&H and 308 Norma also works just fine. You cannot make a 300 H&H round fit through a WinMag though.

One feature overlooked is that with AA5744 powder and some others, a 300 Win/H&H/WBY can easily become a very accurate and mild to shoot 30/30 or 300 Savage. BTDT. Add a little more steam or juice and it is a 308, or a 30/06 or a 300 Magnum of whatever flavor. One cannot, however, make the lesser cartridges perform to the equal of the larger and IMO, better rounds.

A one gun for all in either 300WBY or 340 WBY would be hard to beat. Maybe even impossible to beat.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

352 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 38 invisible), 1,664 guests, and 950 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,354
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.