Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Snidley I have shot a few deer with my 243s . My longest shot was about 200 yds with a ruger 77 RSI. It dropped the deer like somebody pulled the rug out from under it. I later found the load was really quite mild and the 100 gr core lokt was loafing along at about 2550 fps. Since you generally limit yourself to 300 yds you should have no problem especially if you use full power loads and stay away from the explosive varmint bullets.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by Snidleywhiplash
What would be most of your guys comfort zone on deer with a .243? I know we would all like to have them broad side at 50 yards and next to the road or the truck? but that rarely happens, I know with my 30-06 and a 150gr. Nolser ballistic tip I'm comfortable out to about 300 yards after that I don't take the shot for fear of wounding the animal. I know there are allot of variables Load, Bullet weight, powder etc. I'm just wondering as a rule of thumb?
Thanks
Snidley

I'm most concerned with:

1. My ability to put the bullet into the vitals.
2. Enough remaining velocity to ensure bullet expansion and thus enough vital organ damage.

If you use about 2000 fps for the 2nd criteria, that works out to about 500 yards, which happens to be, with the way the wind blows here, about the maximum I am comfortable with for criteria #1.

John

+1 Great post.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I prefer to keep them at 300 and under....but then, I prefer that all my deer rifles shoot well at 300 and under. I have been using the .270 for over 40 years...and I KNOW it will do better...but too long distance to me is possibly inviting a disaster, and I would rather not go chasing thru the boonies looking for a lousy hit bleeder. 2 cents.

"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." Ten Bears
NRA Benefactor LIfe Member
USCG Veteran
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have killed several deer with a couple different 243. None have been over 200yrds, But I like to hunt. 95gr ballistic tips work very well, but so do 100gr Remington corelocs

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Snidleywhiplash
I know with my 30-06 and a 150gr. Nolser ballistic tip I'm comfortable out to about 300 yards after that I don't take the shot for fear of wounding the animal.
Snidley

If you're comfortable to 300 with the 30/06 you will be ok with the 243 too.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I prefer to keep most of my deer shots under 400 yards with the 6 mm's . I don't want to lose a animal due to poor bullet placement . What a rifle and bullet combination is capable of under ideal field conditions and what most people are capable of under most field conditions are two different ballgames completely. Most hunters aren't as good shooters in the field as they think they are . Wind is your biggest enemy in the field and unlike paper targets , Big Game Animals don't usually give you a second chance if you screw up the first shot.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What you wrote holds true for any cartridge.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
you are right, i usually keep all my shots on deer under 400 yards regardless of the round i'm using

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like your 300 yd. comfort zone. That 's mine too with the .243 and most other calibers I shoot and even then it has to be in decent weather from a solid rest at a stationary animal. The .243 can certainly deliver a killing shot well beyond that, but unless you regularly practice shooting at those longer distances under hunting conditions, not from a bench, there are too many variables other than the cartridge itself that can make a longer shot go bad...wind, limbs or other obstructions that can't be seen, animal movement, adrenaline rush, quality of optics, etc. It's not worth the risk of a poor hit for me, personally, although no doubt others may be 100% successful beyond 300 yds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KodiakHntr
With the 105 amax, I'm comfortable to 750-ish. (Edit: but thats only because I haven't run that bullet farther than that yet on steel, in that chambering.)
Shot a big muley at 484 last fall, first one was hard quartering in front of the onside hind, and it rolled him hard at the hit. He did manage to get back to his feet, and since the shooting is the fun part I put a second one broadside through both shoulders just for giggles.
That one smashed him off his feet as well.

Mind you, that was with the AI version. A plain jain 243 is only good for women and kids, and only then if they keep the shots broadside and under 100 yards from a concrete bench. And you should probably keep a 375H&H handy for the follow up finisher that will be required........
With all due respect sir, I'm calling BS on this one. Everybody knows nothing less that a 50 BMG will suffice for a backup to a .243. Should the concrete bench not be available, a 37 mm. anti-tank weapon would be the bare minimum for a backup.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
It's plain to see you aren't a stunt shooter. wink

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by basdjs
I like your 300 yd. comfort zone. That 's mine too with the .243 and most other calibers I shoot and even then it has to be in decent weather from a solid rest at a stationary animal. The .243 can certainly deliver a killing shot well beyond that, but unless you regularly practice shooting at those longer distances under hunting conditions, not from a bench, there are too many variables other than the cartridge itself that can make a longer shot go bad...wind, limbs or other obstructions that can't be seen, animal movement, adrenaline rush, quality of optics, etc. It's not worth the risk of a poor hit for me, personally, although no doubt others may be 100% successful beyond 300 yds.

This should be copied and automatically posted every time a novice on here starts asking about taking long-range pokes at big game. It can be done, but not one hunter in a thousand has the skill and experience to pull it off regularly. Nobody should try it unless they're willing to hike over and check for signs of a hit after their "miss". If you're one of those that can do it, good for you.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hunting shouldn't be a long distance contest

Too many people THINK they are good shots at long range

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
With the 243's I've shot, probably not too much past 400yds would be the max I would feel comfortable with. They were very accurate guns, but with milder ammo. I know that there are a great number of guys with more specialized guns, but the few I've shot were plain off the shelf Rugers or Savages. If I could load a higher-BC bullet to a good velocity and shoot MOA from field positions, then I can see 600yds for deer with a 243. With 95gr Partitions, at 3000fps, shooting MOA, 400yds.

If I expected farther shots, I'd bring more gun, such as an '06 with 168 or 180 BT. Those are 600 yd combos. The great thing about 243s is that they are easy to shoot, and speed does kill. You don't need big or stout bullets to kill big deer when you can heart-shoot them.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Snidely,
If you keep moving your paper targets out progressively shooting 5 shot patterns at each distance, when you reach the distance where the 5 shot pattern has become about the size of a grapefruit, then you have found your maximum distance.

I wouldn't want to shoot at a deer in the field with a basketball size vital area with a rifle/load/scope combination that I couldn't hit a grapefruit with from a sand bag rest on a shooting bench.

From what I've seen, most people who can shoot 1" groups at 100 yards using a hunting reticle in a scope topping out around 9x, their group will get too big somewhere in between 300 and 400 yards. But just average hunters who use the same box of ammo for a decade will most likely not be able to do this well.

Your 95 grain partition ought to be able to penetrate well enough to kill with a hit at these ranges and beyond.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Under really good conditions I might go to 300 yards. But, I am certainly capable of missing a deer much closer.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Virginian2
Under really good conditions I might go to 300 yards. But, I am certainly capable of missing a deer much closer.

Lord, you've described me to a "t", or at least a powder burn...

The "Complacent" shots are the ones I will miss...every time.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I am comfortable at 1/4 mile right now. Put 10 deer out there, and 10 deer will fall in their tracks.
I have shot one at 600yds, and it fell dead. I have shot them in the neck at 525yds. I only shoot a .243 with 80-87gr bullets. 26" heavy barrel. Topped with good glass.
I head shoot them at 200yds no problem. I may be a woman, but that .243 has killed a lot of whitetail deer. In the last 3 years over 150 deer have crumbled to the gun. We shoot all year long out of crop fields for depredation. I try all bullets to see what one works best for quick clean kills.
A .243 win is plenty gun for a deer, range depends on how far you are comfortable shooting.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Schenk
I am comfortable at 1/4 mile right now. Put 10 deer out there, and 10 deer will fall in their tracks.
I have shot one at 600yds, and it fell dead. I have shot them in the neck at 525yds. I only shoot a .243 with 80-87gr bullets. 26" heavy barrel. Topped with good glass.
I head shoot them at 200yds no problem. I may be a woman, but that .243 has killed a lot of whitetail deer. In the last 3 years over 150 deer have crumbled to the gun. We shoot all year long out of crop fields for depredation. I try all bullets to see what one works best for quick clean kills.
A .243 win is plenty gun for a deer, range depends on how far you are comfortable shooting.

Can't argue with experience! We westerners don't get that kind of deer-shooting experience in a lifetime.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll shoot a pig or coyote as far as I can see them, which is 500 yards on my place, but won't shoot at a deer at that range. I keep the deer shots mostly inside 300 to 350, and the actual average for the last 5 years or so is inside 150. Longest on coyote was 400 and on pig was 487, per the rangefinder. I'm using a 260 and 100 gr Ballistic Tips.

When around folks that talk about shooting deer at really long ranges, I tend to not believe them and I hope they are just BSing. I think that it's wrong to do that unless they are top notch shots, and people that shoot that good are rare.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

323 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,881 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,644
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.