Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Strider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm loosing chickens.

I had been suspicious of night time activity. I keep my working girls locked up tight at night. It only took a couple weeks for the fox to grow bold enough to take them by day. Yes, it has been visually verified as a fox.

I've yet to identify it's den. I've tried a live trap, which has brought me great success with coons opossum and skunk. But, it's not working for the fox. Something is getting the bait, but no results.

I just don't bounce back well enough to sit for hours with a shotgun in my lap. I still work, and it's just not going to happen at night.

I used to trap muskrat and whatever else I could catch back in the days where fur was worth the effort. But it's been a while. I usually set them near obvious trails or dens. This is different as there is no obvious trail, entry or exit point.

I'm pretty good at snaring, if I new where the den was at. I've been over the place several times. I would expect feathers, if not a notable smell. If memory serves, a fox den is musky. I'm guessing it's not on my property.

Creating a funnel to the chickens would probably only catch my chickens. I've been thinking about penning them up and see if it starts digging under the pen. I'd probably loose another chicken, but then I'd have a clear funnel to set a snare.

So, I'm thinking of moving on to traps ... strangle mangle or hold. Maybe a perimeter of baited traps. What ever works. Any tips or suggestions? What size or style of trap? Setting, techniques? Any particular bait?

Thought I would seek some suggestions before I start experimenting.

Thanks in advance.

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would see if there was an experienced trapper in the area that would come over and set up a few traps. Perhaps there are some younger folks in the area that trap in the fall that might even do it for fun rather than being paid.

Otherwise, if you wish to do it yourself, a 1.5 or 2 coil spring trap, and either a dirt hold set or a flat set will probably do the trick for you.

Start by going to U tube and looking up dirt hole set or fox trapping. You will get a good education there.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have caught fox by using a foothold trap at the closed end of the cage trap. The fox wants to check out the bait inside, but not enter. Put debris or whatever around the sides. Leave the back open and use sticks placed to guide the foot to the trap. This has worked for me. Good Luck!!

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I cruise that site daily.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

293 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 38 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,617
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.