Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Barnes' online data is limited to Longshot and Silhouette, and Alliant doesn't specifically mention the Barnes (with its long shank and deep seat).

Does anyone trustworthy here have trustworthy load information or trustworthy suggestions?
I'd very much like to use Unique.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I think Gunner shot a hog with one of those back in March. I think he loads power pistol, if I remember correctly.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'd better rephrase, make my preference very clear-

Does anyone trustworthy here have trustworthy load information for, or trustworthy suggestions about using in this combo, Unique?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I wouldn't necessarily trust me either, or the Lyman manual I am looking at that gives relative burn rate.

But let me be very clear. Lyman's relative burn rate list shows powders from fastest to slowest and Alliant's Unique comes in at #24. Ramshot Silhouette @ #29 and Hodgdon's Longshot at #39.

I would guess that if you are married to Unique, you should take a look at the data for Ramshot Silhouette and take a wildass guess from there.

If you think you are trustworthy.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by macrabbit

Does anyone trustworthy here have trustworthy load information for, or trustworthy suggestions about using in this combo, Unique?

Would you trust somebody at Barnes? You could give them a call.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Likely it would be too intelligent to start with a conservative load (say like 7.3 gr for a 200 gr GD) & work up to where you think you should stop.........but as I said, that logic might be too intelligent.

Rock on, Dood.

MM

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Likely it would be too intelligent to start with a conservative load (say like 7.3 gr for a 200 gr GD) & work up to where you think you should stop.........but as I said, that logic might be too intelligent.

Rock on, Dood.

MM

You would need to use 230 grain data since the Barnes is at least as long and would reduce case capacity at least as much. It is more about how deeply the bullets seats into the case.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You might be right, John; I didn't go check the bullet lengths.

Though the 6.0 gr recommended for a 230 GD might be overly conservative, the point remains the same........begin at a safe level & work up.

Really no different than typical (common sense) load development where little published data is handy.

MM

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm not a whit trustworthy!

WAG based on comparisons will be my next move if this thread doesn't satisfy.

I hadn't considered calling Barnes. I'd expect that if they had good info that they wanted to pass along on the combo, it'd be part of their data.

Intelligent logic, too, might be involved in my next move.

The depth difference between my usual 185 and the Barnes version gives me lots of pause.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The depth difference between my usual 185 and the Barnes version gives me lots of pause.

As it should.

...........hence the references to a longer, heavier bullet data a "safe" starting point.

MM

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I get it. I get it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When you figure this out, please post some data. I am hopeful for a load using my existing supply of Unique as well. Other pistol powders are virtually non existent on local shelves, so in these trying times we sometimes may have to improvise a little with our loads. I also have some AA#9 which will probably be a better solution with this case and bullet, but a Unique load would sure be handy, too.

Thanks for taking the heat on this question!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Would you trust somebody at Barnes? You could give them a call.

This is what I'd do first.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just sent Barnes an email...

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Don't be surprised if you don't get a response from Barnes. I ouldn't get one for my 10mm using their 155 gr. bullets. I got a really detailed one from Ramshot, however. So, perhaps you can try Alliant if I recall correctly that they make Unique.
I, for one, would be very reluctant to try "working up" a load for the .45 ACP in a handgun. Handguns don't show pressure signs nearly as well as do rifles. When dealing with a round like the .45 ACP, which tops out at pressures in the low 20,000 psi range, I wouldn't try it. Especially with a bullet like that. BTW, whatever you do, be very careful overall lenth of your loads.
I'm in the same boat you are. Have to go lead free in the next few years for hunting. E

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
Have to go lead free in the next few years for hunting.
That's my situation, but it's immediate (past) for me in A-Zone. The Green Enforcers would not be pleased to find a leaded .45 on my hip even if my hunting arm was a rifle with compliant ammo.

I understand your concerns, but you're talking more conservatively than I'll act. But I'll be cautious. (Famous last words... grin)
Overall length, powder space, and bearing surface will all be guesstimatedly factored in.
One good thing is that I've no need to 'maximize potential' right now, just put together something not unuseful. If I need to step out on my own in the short term, I can be conservative; and wait for better info later on which to build a premium load.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

1100 fps is possible with the Barnes 185 at +P pressures with the correct powder. I do not think you can get to 1100 fps with unique without being above +P pressure.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks.
Those match my conclusions.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I think Gunner shot a hog with one of those back in March. I think he loads power pistol, if I remember correctly.

Yes I did, and our good friend NHK9-George shot the hell outta a 300 pounder the year before with the same load.

OP, 7 gr Unique will get ya about 1050 fps with the 185 gr Barnes in a 5" barreled pistol, a +P load, but entirely safe in a stock platform.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by jwp475

1100 fps is possible with the Barnes 185 at +P pressures with the correct powder. I do not think you can get to 1100 fps with unique without being above +P pressure.

Right on JWP, I get 1150 with Power Pistol and Longshot powders, both show equal accuracy, the Longshot has a lot less flash.

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

124 members (7887mm08, 35, 44mc, 6mmCreedmoor, 338rcm, 7x57Hunter, 14 invisible), 1,207 guests, and 772 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,504
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.