Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Like everyone else the loins and backstraps seasoned lightly and grilled. I do roasts in a deep pit bbq at my house in conjunction with an archery 3d shoot and the elk roast is always the first to go often the women and kids are shocked elk is so tender and tasty...... But seasoning and cooking underground makes most meat delicious.

My favorite are the burger's since I think they are way better than beef and I don't think elk steaks can top good beef.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not really any bad cuts of meat at my house. About 90-95% of meat eaten here is wild game. We hang all out meat at least 7 days and most all of it comes out of the woods whole. We cut all our own meat and in the last several years have invested in a 1 hp grinder with a cuber attachment. When we cut an animal it is usually made into hamburger, cube steak, back strap, or roast.

One of my favorite ways my wife cooks elk steak is to fry it up with butter and a heaping pile of morel mushrooms. When the steak is done, she removes it and makes a gravy. Then we put the gravy over mashed taters or brown rice. Ok, I gotta go eat lunch now.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Anyone have tips on "tenderizing" Elk meat? I've heard Citrus Juices can work at times..

Here's a good marinade:

1 c olive oil
1/3 c lemon juice
1/3 c soy sauce
1tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp black pepper

Marinate steaks overnight.

PS, my favorite cuts for cooking in a crock pot overnight are shanks.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Cooking it slow and not over cooking it will help big time. I like it still kicking a little!!! Age it as long as you can. I take the Backstraps and Tenders out and depending on age of the animal I will cut some rounds. Otherwise it gets all put into burger.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Back Strap

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know how we can resolve this. All you folks that live in elk country or hunt elk regularly each send me about 50 lbs of the various loins, straps, steaks, and roasts of elk.

I will then proceed to apply my prodigious gastronomic proclivities ( you don't get to weigh 275lbs by being a finicky eater wink ) to the problem and by the end of the year, or bottom of the freezer as the case may be, I will generate a full, detailed eating report and summation. smile

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Sounds like a plan hillbilly, but the wife gave ALL the elk to the various kids around the country.. Sorry...

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Sounds like a plan hillbilly, but the wife gave ALL the elk to the various kids around the country.. Sorry...

Well, maybe next year. smile

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Here is an idea that has merit.

http://www.storeitcold.com/

I've been looking at those and wondering if I could make a practical portable cooler with it. I usually drive 5-6 hours to hunt elk, and it can be pretty warm. My truck has a fiberglas cap and I wonder if a guy could build a large insulated box that pretty much filled the back of the truck and install one of these units in it. Would be plenty big, I would think,and you could still store stuff in it when there's no meat to cool.
They have instructions on their website on how to build a portable cooler. Airtight and well insulated is the key. Building it on a small trailer would be preferable IMHO because you can do a more permanent job of sealing it.

We have a small orchard plus we raise meat goats. I've been thinking about building something like this for fruit and meat storage.

Thats a good idea, I was just thinking of doing it this way so that I could still tow my tent trailer up to elk camp. Might be a better idea to do it your way though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Smoked tenderloin without a doubt.

[Linked Image]

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
IC B3

68W Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My favorites don't vary from the crowd. Loins and straps.

I cut, grind, and wrap my elk myself. I get satisfaction in the whole process of the hunt, kill, care, etc. But it also keeps my hunting more cost effective and while still a student with kids that is key. Anyway that wasn't the point...

Anyone have a good book title or link for a detailed "how to" on butchering? Other than the loins and straps I just kinda pull off meat and trim it incessantly and freeze it. I'd like to read through detailed explanation of where exactly each cut is and the proper ways to go about breaking it down. Maybe I'm already doing it "right" but I'd like to learn and improve.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The back straps ,I cut into steaks. The hams, I separate the major muscle groups and cut all I can into steaks. I make a few roasts and grind the rest without any added beef fat.

I have found if the elk is going to be tender, it is tender all thru. I don't find a big difference in taste with the different cuts.
I have in the past grilled all the meat except the roast using salt , pepper and spritzing with olive oil.

Lately ,I have cast iron griddle on the grill and I find I enjoy the steaks more cooking them on that that just grilling them over flames.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have in the past grilled all the meat except the roast using salt , pepper and spritzing with olive oil.

Lately ,I have cast iron griddle on the grill and I find I enjoy the steaks more cooking them on that that just grilling them over flames.

does doing this just keep it more "juicy"? I've noticed that Outback steakhouse seems to cook theirs on a flat grill (no grill marks) like this, and I've always enjoyed their steaks.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 68W
My favorites don't vary from the crowd. Loins and straps.

I cut, grind, and wrap my elk myself. I get satisfaction in the whole process of the hunt, kill, care, etc. But it also keeps my hunting more cost effective and while still a student with kids that is key. Anyway that wasn't the point...

Anyone have a good book title or link for a detailed "how to" on butchering? Other than the loins and straps I just kinda pull off meat and trim it incessantly and freeze it. I'd like to read through detailed explanation of where exactly each cut is and the proper ways to go about breaking it down. Maybe I'm already doing it "right" but I'd like to learn and improve.

Get Eileen's book "A Slice of the Wild". Great book! www.riflesandrecipes.com

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I like to slice the loins about 3/8" thick, dust them with seasoned flour and pan fry them. I have had too many tough ones myself. I like a rib eye (back strap) on a beef myself as the flavor is better than the more expensive filet that you have to wrap bacon around to get juice in it! On an elk, I like a good shoulder roast about as well as anything.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Billy_Goat

does doing this just keep it more "juicy"? I've noticed that Outback steakhouse seems to cook theirs on a flat grill (no grill marks) like this, and I've always enjoyed their steaks.

I think it keeps them juicer.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It does, same with regular burgers. If you want 'em juicy, don't cook them on a grate and let the juices drain off. Cook them on a griddle or skillet like you say, that's how all the good burger joints do it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
I know how we can resolve this. All you folks that live in elk country or hunt elk regularly each send me about 50 lbs of the various loins, straps, steaks, and roasts of elk.

I will then proceed to apply my prodigious gastronomic proclivities ( you don't get to weigh 275lbs by being a finicky eater wink ) to the problem and by the end of the year, or bottom of the freezer as the case may be, I will generate a full, detailed eating report and summation. smile

I like your way of thinking. But you'll have to try and get it away from my kids first. They have taken it upon themselves to eat me out of house and home, and they're not even big yet.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (219 Wasp, 2500HD, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 40 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,925
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.