Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Who " made". The best spin cast reels I need to set up fishing rods and reels for my grandkids and can't make myself buy china crap so which of the old ones were the best?

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Zebco��.Model 33

202s and 404s are just junk.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Grandson just striped the gears on my old 33....
Any one remember the 600? It was black aluminum . I had one when I was a kid and they were pretty tough.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ABU-Garcia - The thing that you have to do with spin-cast reels is to ALWAYS keep tension on the line as it enters the reel. If you don't, it gets behind the spool and wraps around the axle.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Johnson made some pretty good ones, like the Sabre and the 710 (I think that's what it was called). I still have a Sabre that I haven't used since I was a kid.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Zebco 33 used to be the best. Haven't bought a new one in a lot of years now.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got probably 50 different types of reels, my wife will only use a 33 or Zebco 1. Works for her..

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
What was a zebco 1 I don't remember those?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Look on ebay and find you an old Johnson Century. You can thank e after you use it. powdr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
What was a zebco 1 I don't remember those?

A little larger, heavier line and star drag. Just got back from catfishing and she wore them out..

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Wasn't the Zebco 1 a bigger defier version of the 33 basically?

And A Cupie doll goes to whoever can tell me what Zebco is short for.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Zero Hour Bomb Company.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Zero Hour Bomb Company.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!!!! laugh

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Zero Hour Bomb Company.

Even I knew that one....

Last edited by rainierrifleco; 07/13/14.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I kinda remember those Johnson reels . Ill keep my eye open for them..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Zero Hour Bomb Company.

Even I knew that one....

I hope you are not claiming to be as smart as I am..............You don't want to be known as a dumbazz, do ya'?.... grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I hope you are not claiming to be as smart as I am..............You don't want to be known as a dumbazz, do ya'?.... grin

Too late.

Ive had that moniker so long I thought it was coined for me. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine is spelled with a small "d"....just sayin'...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
ouch�..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You have seniority on me, but I'ma ketchin' up fast as I can!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My son can relate the story from his young days when I calmly took his rod and reel from him in the boat, removed the Johnson reel from the rod, threw it as high as I could into the air, and we quietly watched it arc over and splash into the lake. We then went to shore, headed in to Fuller's, and got the ABU-Garcia.

Edit - I have been advised by the son in question that my mind suffers from old-person's lapse and the good reel is a Diawa rather than an ABU. This correction should be taken into account when reading my previous endorsement as well. In my defense, the rod is an ABU-Garcia.

Last edited by 5sdad; 07/15/14.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
So the old Johnson reels are junk? Never had a bad Abu in bait caster.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Allow me to make the same suggestion I do for all "kid's first rod and reel" questions. Get them an under-spin / levercast reel and put it on a five-foot spinning rod. Here's one:

LINK

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dat�is a good idea! grin

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I had a Zebco 44 under-spin I liked pretty well until an 8lb catfish tore it up. Looked just like that Diawa if memory serves.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Got several 33's and the odd Rhino, love 'em for small to mid-size fish.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by websterparish47
I had a Zebco 44 under-spin I liked pretty well until an 8lb catfish tore it up. Looked just like that Diawa if memory serves.

I've got one of those underhand Zebcos somewhere that I'd forgotten about. Neat ole reel..

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Allow me to make the same suggestion I do for all "kid's first rod and reel" questions. Get them an under-spin / levercast reel and put it on a five-foot spinning rod. Here's one:

LINK

I like that . Looks to be easy to learn to cast. . The kids are 4 and 5 years old..

S
S
The Zebco 33 triggerspin is my wife's favorite. Great reel.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Buy the most expensive spincast pfluger makes. Way better than the zebcos and better than the new diawas too. The old diawas and johnson reels worked best but all the new stuff is crap. Just bought a diawa under spin and its a piece-O-$hit.

A underspin on a flyrod is a panfish catching machine. Awesome for flippin slip bobber rigs in heavy cover for crappie. Try it.

Last edited by seal_billy; 07/19/14.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree with the old Johnson Century or model 80, or the Abu Garcia 170s or 120s.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Johnson 110A, plus a Johnson 80.

[Linked Image]
110A

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I recently noticed a vintage Abu Garcia 505 under-rod spincast reel on ebay, and won it.

Amazing reel. No lever, no bail; just touch the ring in the center of the reel face with your forefinger and the spool releases. The line falls right on your finger, ready for casting.

Then I discovered another innovation. It has a "smart" drag. If you need to lessen the drag - say for a sudden run of a large fish - you just back the cranking handle backwards a bit and the drag reduces itself to a minimum. Start reeling again and the drag reverts to whatever setting you have applied. Genius!

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That is slick! I'm not a huge spincast fan but they have their place and I definitely have a spot for a reel like that one. Its crazy cool.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Buy the most expensive spincast pfluger makes. Way better than the zebcos and better than the new diawas too. The old diawas and johnson reels worked best but all the new stuff is crap. Just bought a diawa under spin and its a piece-O-$hit.

A underspin on a flyrod is a panfish catching machine. Awesome for flippin slip bobber rigs in heavy cover for crappie. Try it.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Laugh'n,,, your addicted aren't you, you and rockey both. I have a 1600 and 3600 ambassaduer problem. Hi, my name is Troy and I'm a reelaholic. Problem is I'm even more of a rodaholic!

Last edited by seal_billy; 10/23/14.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not really addicted. But I do tend to use the best tool for the job at hand. I have casting outfits, spinning outfits, spin-cast outfits, fly casting outfits, ice fishing outfits... Several of each, in fact.

I explain to my wife that it's a lot like golf; each situation calls for a different club - or rod.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That's exactly what I tell my wife about rod-n-reels & shotguns! Same analogy to the tee!

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Coool old reels. Keep the pics coming!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I would 2nd the original Johnson century and the larger citations. They were pretty nice reels and had smooth gearing. I did buy one of the later ones and they just couldn't match the older ones. The zebco 33 was a good reel in its day and the Abu magics from Garcia were pretty nice reels.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Laugh'n,,, your addicted aren't you, you and rockey both. I have a 1600 and 3600 ambassaduer problem. Hi, my name is Troy and I'm a reelaholic. Problem is I'm even more of a rodaholic!

My wife just asked me yesterday why I needed 70 rods and reels. I didn't have a good answer so i just kept quiet so as not to start an argument. Then she says, "you're ignoring me aren't you?" grin

Heddon Mk III

[Linked Image]

Diawa Millionaire 5H

[Linked Image]

Johnson 110B

[Linked Image]

Action Rod Hastings, MI

[Linked Image]

Horrocks Ibbotson Mod. 1901

[Linked Image]

Heddon Pal P-41

[Linked Image]

Heddon Pal

[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/z/wmwAAOSwd4tUHvjn/$_12.JPG[/img]

Penn 930

[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/8KcAAOSwd4tT6SgA/$_12.JPG[/img]

Jim Heddon's Favorite - bamboo

[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/gcYAAOSwGvhT5usn/$_57.JPG[/img]

Heddon's # 15 - Premier bamboo

[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Njc5WDE2MDA=/z/dT0AAOSw7NNT6oA0/$_57.JPG[/img]

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks for all the replies
Update.....just went to cabelas and sent them some ready made junk....for now they have been casting in the back yard and trying to hit the kiddy pool and are having a blast.. I will be on the hunt for some old quality reels from garage sales and pawn shops. When they get older ill get them a quality usa made rod...

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I have a few Pfleuger Cetina reels and they are pretty solid. These are about the only spincast reels I have really cared for. I haven't tried the nicer Zebcos but I think they would give them a run for the money. They are built pretty solid and cast better than any spin cast reel I have tried. When I have them to people the first response is that they are heavier than they thought they would be. But the weight is quality and not just fluff. The spools are stupid easy to replace and the they are fairly smooth for a spin cast reel. Right now they are discontinued and can be found for a discounted price. I have 2 of the smallest reels which are perfect for bream and crappie on a light rod. I also have one of the smaller underspin reels I plan to use for small spinners and jigs. I also just found the mid sized reel at gander mountain and I will set that one up for fishing guests for catfish and bass. I got 2 from bass pro for $20, on of pfluegers website for $25 and the midsize for $25 from gander mountain. I plan to buy anymore of these that I see. They are mostly for people who might go fishing with me to use but I honestly would be comfortable leaving my favorite reels at home and just fishing with these. I'll probably upgrade to a good florocarbon line on them just because I think they could handle a little more than most similar reels. I want to eek the most out of them when I use them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

92 members (35, AnthonyB, 7x57Hunter, AGL4now, 160user, 41rem, 12 invisible), 972 guests, and 720 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,502
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.