Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
By a used Rem. 1100. One of the most reliable autos ever made, as long as you keep them clean.

Nothing wrong with Bennelli's, just overpriced IMO.

Read that slowly ssslllooowwwlllyyy! If you have to keep it clean it ain't reliable.

$700 for an M1 Super 90 is so expensive.

This shiitt cracks me up.

So I should just buy a Benelli and NEVER clean it??? Sounds pretty stupid to me wink

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Why is that? All it needs is a little oil here and there. I have one M90 with 70K thru it and has been cleaned maybe 3 or 4 times.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Why is that? All it needs is a little oil here and there. I have one M90 with 70K thru it and has been cleaned maybe 3 or 4 times.

I clean my shotguns every year after bird season whether they need it or not. Never had it jam once.

And if you have put 70 THOUSAND rounds through your M-90, you must shoot a LOT of trap & skeet with it, or your a really bad shot on Ducks & Doves wink

I haven't even seen 70 thousand birds to shoot at in all my life! Just Sayin cool

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I can't hit the broadside of a barn.

I shoot at a lot of sportclays, birds, ducks, and geese. One of these days maybe I will hit one. I don't mind so much missing clays, they taste like shiit.

We can't shoot doves here. But I have been to mexico a few times. Lots of opportunities, lots of spent shells, and lots of bacon wrapped Jalapeno dove. Good thing my friends can shoot or I would have been hungry down there. Oh and always use their guns down there, take a guess what they supply you with? It starts with a B and it isn't a Beretta.

I have yet to have a FTF, FTE, FTF, or any other type problem. I did take a swim with it one time while duck hunting on Mosquito Lake in Haines AK. Don't you know once I found it on the bottom, poured out the silt and water it went bang?

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 06/26/14.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I understand. I can't hit shiitt with a shotgun either. Except with my little Rem 1100 Sporting Clays 28ga.

And if I was buying a new Shotgun, it would be Bennelli's cool little 28ga auto.

I've only owned one Benelli, and it was one of the first Super Black Eagle models I bought for Goose hunting. Guess it just left a bad taste in my mouth. Damn thing would get sand in it from the Peanut Fields we were hunting and start to jam with the 3.5" shells. I here they got the bugs worked out soon after.

The reason I recommended a used 1100 to the OP was he sounded like he wanted a spare 12ga auto to hunt with a few times a year. You can pick them up in the Pawn Shops here in TX after Dove Season for $400 bucks, usually.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I happen to have a Benelli 28ga. Do yourself a favor and pass on the Benelli and get the Beretta A400 28ga. 28" barrel is what Benelli should have done, lucky for you Beretta did!

I understand $400 is an easy pill to swallow.

I had one of the first SBE's to hit the market. Was given to me so I couldn't say no. The only problems I had with it was light loads. But that can be fixed. The SBE's extra weight is in the wrong place for most. I never found a good reason to shoot 3-1/2" shells.

I traded the SBE for A Seminole Gunworks Benelli Super 90 Duck Devastator. I would still own that one if it wasn't for a guy I met hunting White Lake in Louisiana. He had to have it because in his mind the lenghtened forcing cones and Seminole chokes were worth his Super 90 and Beretta 391.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
An Attorney friend of mine has one of the Benelli 28ga models with a 24" barrel, he's been trying to sell me I was thinking it would be the ShiiTT for quail & pheasant here in TX.

I haven't had a chance to see the Beretta in a 28ga yet, but the A-400 Beretta 20ga models sure look nice. Buddy has a 12ga that he shoots Clays and Doves with that he absolutely loves. I shot his 12ga, and it sre doesn't have much recoil.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Try the Beretta before you buy the Benelli. 24"and 26" on the Benelli is much to fast for most. 28" is where you want to be with a little lead under the fore end.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I am a waterfowler that's just about all I hunt. I have a 391 beretta, benelli SBE & M1, 2 browning golds and the guy I hunt with uses a browning gold. For reliability a SBE is very hard to beat but I shoot my M1 as much for crows doves and pigeon. Stay away from the browning golds, every one I have owned and friends that have (had) them, had problems with them when it got cold. Bolt speed slows way down and sometimes you get failure to eject. They have to be cleaned often. The benellis run dirty, not that I don't clean them but to kill ducks in east tn. you might belly crawl through weeds and brush and junk the next day you gotta hunt mud flats so junk gets into the action, dirt, mud, weed seeds, bits of bark and twigs, you name it..

A SBE is easier to clean even in the field than any semi auto made. I dropped mine on a mud flat a few years ago. I took it apart with no tools and washed it off in the creek. For a waterfowl gun the SBE is simple, rugged and 3.5" capable, a good option to have in case you have to buy ammo when traveling or if you run out and are hunting with someone who shoots 3.5s. You can shoot 3" in a 3.5 but not vis versa. The winchester SX2/3 are good guns, very similar to the gold but without the speed feed feature. They dont slow down in cold weather like the golds do, probably because the lack of the speed feed. 1100s are great guns too but the O ring can fail easily and they need to be cleaned more often.

Get a SBE and forget about it, you won't get one for 600 bucks though. I have had mine for at least 10 years and only a couple of hiccups with hard use.

Last edited by seal_billy; 06/27/14.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Super x-2, everytime.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Since you say you don't intend to shoot 3 1/2" shells much (if at all) the 3" magnum will do everything you want. I went through the whole "bigger is better" argument when steel shells were introduced and even ended up with a 3 1/2" 10 gauge.....for very little gain in performance.

In the end I found that the 3" shell is at the top of the usable advantage level (damn that sound awkward....but you know what I mean). Larger guns gain little (if anything) but are much more inconvienient to use (really the 3" shell gains very little over the 2 3/4" on decoyed ducks).

I admit I am an old-school blued steel and walnut kind of guy (some say old fasioned). To me, the best compromise in ther used market is the 3" Browning A-5.....my own personal waterfowl gun. Reliable, effective and "classy" in appearance.....and will do anything a 3 1/2" gun (12 or 10 ga.) will acomplish with more style and less weight.

Second choice (if semi-auto is a requirement) would be the Remington 1100. If semi-auto isn't a priority, the Remington 870 in 3"......or my choice.....a 3" double would serve as well and be even more reliable.

Weight can be added much more effectively with lead in the stocks or such rather than s lsrger, more awkward 3 1/2" action. Also, the use of steel is NOT a requirement. There are much better non-toxic loads than steel.....and they all work better in 3" (or even 2 3/4") guns over decoys.

The really big guns (3 1/2" 12 gauge or 10 gauge) are "specialty" guns and seldom required for waterfowl in "normal" settings

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[quote=Backroads] Looking to spend right around $600 for a 3 1/2" chambered 12ga semi-auto.
Locally I can get a nice Browning Gold for that, there is also a Winchester sx2.
For a little more I can pick up a HK stamped SBE just down the road as well.
What do you guys recommend for a reliable, softer shooting waterfowl gun?
Hunted a couple times last year at well below zero, probably will again.

Not on your list BUT we hunt A LOT in cold weather our group has most of the big names in waterfowl guns and far and away the most reliable is the Beretta. I hae a 391 ans an A300 my two partners shoot 391s and of the bunch we are the ones who av no problems, second best is the SX2/3. Our waterfowl season runs from Sept. to Mar. with a few breaks in between and the Berettas are the ones that preform day in and day out no matter
the weather.
As far as 3.5" goes, when goose hunting, I load my first 2 shots with 3" and my 3rd 3.5". I don't often use that last shot but when you get one of those "Kevlar" coated honkers that have been rocked hard but keep flying that last 3.5" can make all the difference in the world between a goose in the bag and one that flies away to die latter.
Hint for cold weather shooting clean all grease and oil out of your action with starting fluid or brake cleaner and relube with graphite powder.

Feb. '14 -10 degrees

[Linked Image]

Dec. '13 -17 degrees

[Linked Image]

BORN to HUNT
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I own and shoot 12 ga.browning gold,winchester SX2.I recently bought a franchi affinity 20ga.(they also make 12ga.in this model)and have to tell ya my choice is the Franchi.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My Benelli 20 is blessed with a 24" by choice. That kind of compensates for the extra length of the receiver. I love it the way it is.

When I get a 28 (soon) it will be a 24" as well. Daughter and SIL both use them with 26" barrels and love them. I have shot them and still believe in the 24" for quail. Longer might be better for dove, but I have other shotguns.

My first Benelli was a 28 inch Legacy with a weighted forend cap. It was a great clays gun, but the pitts for upland game.

For the duck gun, topic of discussion, I would ask how you hunt. For example, it doesn't take a cannon for decoyed ducks. Geese from pits is entirely another matter.

My A-5 Light 12 Browning has been my companion since 1963. They were not steel compatable. A Jap barrel solved that, but limits me to 2 3/4" shells. It never gives me grief. When it was my only shotgun, I cleaned the action once a year, but scrubbed the plastic residue out of the barrel every few boxes of ammo. The Magnum 12 is normally well priced on the used market.

I'm not a 1100/1187 fan. To each his own. I am a big time fan of the 870 and Model 12, but you are looking for semi-autos.

Good luck with your search,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I hunt ducks and geese just about every way I can.
Jump shooting, both on foot and from canoe.
Pass shooting from a couple well placed covers
Over dekes too, from canoe and in fields.

Still in the market for a 3.5in semi-auto, had to save up again after a sweet little SKB 500 in 20ga came up for sale here.
cool

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've used a Browning Gold just fine in the cold. It is a good gun. But I consider it too heavy for pheasant usage.

I've used a Benelli M2 Comfortech also. I prefer the Benelli for an all-around auto shotgun. I cannot tell the difference in recoil between the two, but the Benelli sure is lighter.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Learn to run a pump-it just isn't that hard to do-and all those reliability, light load/heavy load, clean/dirty issues disappear. Win Model 12 or Rem 870 for the win by much more than a nose.

Last edited by battue; 07/25/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Buy what fits. Go look at a bunch, maybe your local gun club can help out and let ya shoot some too. Im an 1100 guy cz I shoot them well but there all pretty dam good..

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Have you looked at the Beretta A300 Outlander? They are pretty solid 3" guns with a reliable gas system. They can be had new for a pretty reasonable price.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
The older HK SBE's are highly sought after here in Arkansas, especially if it has a 24" barrel. I probably don't have to tell you, but with the older HK guns's some guy's still take the chance and do the Benelli shuffle. I have never found the need for shooting 3 1/2" shells to kill ducks. But to each his own. If the HK Benelli is in excellent to new condition, it will appreciate in value. If you are young, and don't mind the weight of a gas gun, the Beretta AL 390 would be hard to beat.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (1936M71, 1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 76 invisible), 2,557 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,452
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.