Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I think those canoe paddle stocks are the toughest that there are. And if they were not a tad too long for my LOP, and if I could get a Decelerator Pad with appropriate LOP; I would have no hesitation about them on my Rugers. That is one tuff-ass stock and I have no issues with its looks.
The Hogue is a bit fat and maybe a tad too grippy for me. But, I do use them on 10/22's and when rainy I do appreciate them. I may see if the LOP can be cut to fit and Decelerator added to this one. The fat, I can live with but the grippy and being too long for me to shoulder quickly sucks for me. I have a growing collection of un-altered ones.
The McMillans in my LOP, I certainly like.
I also like the standard laminated ones (non-lop adjustable). I like the green color and checkering on the Guide Rifle.
Quiet frankly, due to the wait time and cost, I am looking for other avenues than just the McMillans. Hell, I can choke down the cost, but the wait time is what it is. Too bad no one picked up the Pacific Research / Rim Rock manufacturing. That stock I Really like.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Will love to see how you get it set up when I make it back to the valley this winter.
I have been playing "Barbie dolls" with mine and dressing it in a slimmed down Hogue, old canoe paddle stock, my son's McMillan and the factory wood "African" stock. [/quote]

Last edited by ldmay375; 07/19/14.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's my .416 Ruger and I'm very happy with it. Gary Goudy stocked it for me. As can be seen,it has no brake and it seems to me to recoil about like a lightweight, heavy loaded .375 H&H. I haven't shot anything with it yet so I guess I'll have to pay Phil a visit one of these days. It's the top rifle.

TT

c[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
That is a very fine looking 416 as is the other rifle. Mine are Alaskan utility grades, as are all of my rifles. But, I certainly do appreciate the beauty of the fine blue, wood, and checkering!

Originally Posted by tsquare
Here's my .416 Ruger and I'm very happy with it. Gary Goudy stocked it for me. As can be seen,it has no brake and it seems to me to recoil about like a lightweight, heavy loaded .375 H&H. I haven't shot anything with it yet so I guess I'll have to pay Phil a visit one of these days. It's the top rifle.

TT

c[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
ID: Regarding the "grippiness" of the Hogue over molded stock, after a week in the dust of Zimbabwe, it all but disappeared. What I really like about it is how the rubber deadened the sound of twigs scraping the stock when "hoovering" 40 yards from a herd of nyati looking for a hard bossed bull. The metal pillars are a plus. If you do not like the rubber coating, take it off with a block plane like Phil Shoemaker has illustrated on another thread.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess my question would be do I want a Rigby, or a Ruger?

smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I do agree that the sound deadening is a plus. I have replaced the Hogue's on my 2ea 375Rugers with fiberglass and the one on my son's. But, do have one in factory issue Hogue. My son began using this one as his hiking/4-wheeler rifle this year. His previous walk-about bush-rifle was a 45/70 guide rifle stainless and walnut with 430 to 460 grain hard cast bullets. He really likes the Marlin, but rifles take a pretty good beating under these conditions. And I suggested the Hogue stocked "spare", due to my opinion of at least theoretically higher reliability of the bolt over the lever and do not think the Alaskan would suffer from diminished looks or function.
Anyways with all that said, his use of the over molded kindled my interest in the stock; as this thread did my interest in the 416 Ruger. Long story short, I am going to see if the Hogue LOP can be reduced a 1/4" with a Decelerator added. If so, add a low powered scope and call it good enough for now.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I still have a NIB 416 Alaskan in the safe if anyone is looking for one. $799 + $25 to ship.

Last edited by Biebs; 08/12/14.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ldmay375
I am going to see if the Hogue LOP can be reduced a 1/4" with a Decelerator added. If so, add a low powered scope and call it good enough for now.
Yes it can be reduced. I called Hogue on this matter and they said they would reduce the LOP for $84.00. So it can be done.

Nothing like a Remington 700xcr.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
TSQ, Im envious, those are two beautiful rifles.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
ID: Look at the NECG receiver sight for Ruger 77 if you want to remove the scope for bear protection. Existing front sight is tall enough. A lot easier to dry out a bolt compared to a lever but lever is faster for multiple shots.

Last edited by bobmn; 08/13/14.
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
700xcr, Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by 700xcr
Originally Posted by ldmay375
I am going to see if the Hogue LOP can be reduced a 1/4" with a Decelerator added. If so, add a low powered scope and call it good enough for now.
Yes it can be reduced. I called Hogue on this matter and they said they would reduce the LOP for $84.00. So it can be done.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
bobmn, I do like levers and have 45/70's in a SS and a blued model, both with the barrels cut to 20". I have packed the blued model a few miles, the stainless not so much. Both have ghost ring type sights. And several years ago, when the eyes were younger; I was pretty fond of packing them around when hiking.

But, I none-the-less feel more confident in the bolt. One reason is obviously familiarity. And the other is function due to the collection of vegetation debris finding its way into every possible place when pushing through brush. I have found no matter how much effort I put into protecting the actions from debris, it still finds its way to places it should not be. Alder/willow/spruce, leave/twig/bud bits, bark; fern pieces, grass seeds, etc/etc tend to wind up inside and in between areas of moving parts.

To me the bolt is easier to clean of debris. The water issue is about guaranteed daily during moose season; and is to be expected any day/anytime. I keep the barrel taped, remove the bolt and ammo, wipe down for the night and expect the same each day.

I have detachable mounts on pretty much all my rifles, even the slick barreled ones. But, have never removed a scope when hunting. I much prefer a low powered/wide field of view/ bold reticle scope to sights. Anything .338 and above, have either 1.1-4's, 1-6's, or 1.5-6's and I am comfortable with them in close cover.

I consider bear encounters every time I am outdoors. Likely not to happen nor end in an unfavorable way, but is a possible. I usually hunt/camp alone, so I try not to be paranoid but do give serious consideration. The differing of circumstances, skills, and opinions, as to the ability multiple shots and/or even an accurate single shot in a surprise close range and hostile encounter; I will leave to others to debate.

Originally Posted by bobmn
ID: Look at the NECG receiver sight for Ruger 77 if you want to remove the scope for bear protection. Existing front sight is tall enough. A lot easier to dry out a bolt compared to a lever but lever is faster for multiple shots.

Last edited by ldmay375; 08/13/14.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 3,098 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,746
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.