Print Thread
Hop To
S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I've been reading the amusing thread in the Gun writers section on Don Heath's article about rifle power and was reminded of a question about something he wrote in "Rifle Lessons Learned from the Zimbabwe Professional Hunter Proficiency Exam". I first found the article about a year or so ago when I was looking for a 375 H&H.

I'm not sure where this was originally pulblished but here is the version that generated my question.

http://www.africahunting.com/thread...ofessional-hunter-proficiency-exam.2604/

In the article, Don suggests an efficient and quick safety set up for a right handed shooter would be for the safety catch to be on the left side of the bolt or receiver. I have a new to me early Sako built on a FN action. It has a "flag" style safety on the left side of the bolt that will work if a scope is mounted. The safety arrangement does seem to have some merit. It's a little stiff (needs a good going over and cleaning) but my thumb doesn't have any trouble finding it. Unfortunately, this is my only experience with this set up on a hunting rifle.

If you have a picture of right handed rifles with left sided safeties please post them and let me know about your hunting experience with the set up.

Thanks,

Scott

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
SWJ, My FN HVA 270 is exactly like that and noooo problem-Muddy

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have the left-hand FN-style safety on my FN .375 Ruger. It is a very handy set up qnd I prefer it to the right-hand Bueler safety I have on another FN.

The only drawback it that the left-hand safety may hangup and disengage on my clothing when the rifle is slung on the right shoulder.

I avoid this by hunting with my rifle in my hands rather than slung.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Satterlee offers a left side safety for the right handed bolt for the very good reason that the thumb is there already and so it is the quickest safety to get into action. Mauser put his flag safety on the left for a very good reason.

http://www.satterleearms.com/gunsmithing.htm

I put an extended flag on my custom 7x57 as I also have a scope in QD rings that I carry in a scope bag in cases it is needed.
[Linked Image]

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I see NECG are offering left hand, mod.70 style mauser bolt shrouds too.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My model 21 has the safety on the left side and I find it to be a pain in the arse...mainly because it works up and down as opposed to fore and aft.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two similar ones for sale in classified plus some other stuff including a two position side swing type
[Linked Image]

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I'm a South Paw, and you need to be aware that I try and mount left hand safeties on all of my M-98's, so that I can spot game through a low mounted scope, and only then take off the safety. The reversed safety only works when there's no scope to get in the way. But I'll check out those NECG left hand Model 70 styled Mauser shroud jobs.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
718 members (16penny, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 64 invisible), 3,133 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,745
Posts18,401,279
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.