Print Thread
Hop To
W
woofer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
7.3 ford. Sitting unfired for 5 years. Other than fuel and good elec connections/clean starter any tips?

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are not worried about rust in the cylinders, charge up or replace the battery's and see what happens

W
woofer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
I figured I could at least spray something down the intake ports first but was concerned about bending a rod....

W

MtnHtr
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'd squirt some oil in each cylinder, disable the coil, and bump the switch for a while to distribute the lube, let it sit for a while, then give it a whirl.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by woofer
I figured I could at least spray something down the intake ports first but was concerned about bending a rod....

W

Most of the newer engines can sit without rusting the cylinders if its bad enough to bend a rod it won't turn over.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What I have done is just put in new batteries, change the fuel filter and crack the injectors and bleed the system. It will start if the engine still has compression. Diesels can be more forgiving compared to a gasser if they sit for a long time.

I stay away from starting fluid if at all possible.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
A coil on a diesel?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by logger
A coil on a diesel?

Only after he takes the plugs out to squirt oil in the cylinders. crazy

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

W
woofer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Thats funny. I laughed when I read that. Honest mistake though. I enjoyed the chuckle.

I was worried about bending a rod due to hydro lock, Not so much something on the cylinder walls. I have had it happen before on a gas job V10 I bought as a roll over. Guy thought he was helping when he hit the key for me with a booster pack I had on it to roll up windows etc. I watched in disbelief as the engine turned exactly one time and went silent. Bent the rod like a pretzel.

Diesels running much higher compression I figured had much less combustion room for extra fluids smile

W

MtnHtr
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Figuring he meant the coil for the glow plugs... To not burn the lube in the cylinders...

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TXRam
Figuring he meant the coil for the glow plugs... To not burn the lube in the cylinders...

Obviously I don't know schidt about diesel nomenclature:)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
7.3 ford. Sitting unfired for 5 years. Other than fuel and good elec connections/clean starter any tips?

W

By fuel, you mean get rid of what's there? Definitely do that. It'll have algae. Drain the tank and put in new fuel. Also I wouldn't be surprised if the injectors didn't work quite right.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I really wouldn't worry about it too much. But it would be a good idea to bring up oil presure as the top end will be drained dry.. Disconnect the pump shut of wire. And let the motor turn over without firing till presure gets up and lubes the top end..

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You didnt state if it was a powerstroke. If it is, there is a lever on the back of the fuel bowl, flip it to drain the fuel out of the bowl. Change fuel filters but fill the bowl with fresh diesel to get her started an running. Make sure you have good batteries and the cables are in great shape. Welding cable is a good thing to use if your wires are rotten. Dont forget to flip the lever on the fuel bowl back before you put new fuel in.

“Lighten up Francis”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

W

Your not going to bend a rod cranking it over withe the starter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We always put marvel mystery oil in the cylinders and manually bored the motor over to distribute the oil and let it sit for awhile....that should get everything started

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
I really wouldn't worry about it too much. But it would be a good idea to bring up oil presure as the top end will be drained dry.. Disconnect the pump shut of wire. And let the motor turn over without firing till presure gets up and lubes the top end..

Not worry about the fuel? I would. After 5yrs there's gonna be awful crap in there. Especially with the fuel we have now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

W

So, what happened?

Sean

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 3,153 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,335
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.