Print Thread
Hop To
Page 28 of 34 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 33 34
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
I rasped a standard stock on my .30-06 into submission by removing the forend, shortening and replacing with ebony, and did a makeover of the cheekpiece into a shadow-line British style with no problemo�.

That is a very well done rifle. It yells I'm a classy dame when you pick her up wink

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hey Ingwe, my brother in law (BIL in my pig posts) just joined the Cool Kids Club: he couldn't stand it any longer and bought a Cabala M70 7x57. He's going to mount it in a VX-3, 2.5-8, same as I use. Another member added to our exclusive group. cool

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nice to see good taste spreading for once�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Question for y'all that have a sling swivel attached to your barrel: how does it work when using a "hasty" sling hold? Seems like it's a long reach.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dunno. I dont shoot with a sling. Shouldn't be bad though,your left hand will still be pinned to the for end I would think.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Rev, short answer is yes for me. Mine all have short Rigby style for-ends placing the front band closer than if on a standard length for-end. I also generally have a leather glove on my left hand while hunting, both for movement through woods/brush and to shoot with (the other is in my right rear pocket). I use a sling a lot for shooting (small bore and high power target shooter). I took my Mod. 70 classic sporter 25-06 Antelope hunting a few years ago and after carrying that thing around w/a steel bipod on it all day went back to only a sling. Don't generally use a highpower style shooting sling but one that at least I can hasty up or can use the loop up front. I always have a sling on my hunting rifles, makes dragging game easier w/both hands, take it off and use a drag strap for non horned animals ect.-Muddy

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks Muddy. I got in the habit of using a hasty sling years ago and am no longer conscious of it. I just automatically do it. I've never used one with a barrel band though and was just wondering.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Rev. Just turned on the outdoor channel and a guy was dragging a bear w/his sling!. We got no pigs up here but how do you get a hold of one of those things to drag?-Muddy

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You just grab him by the legs and drag him to a place open enough to get the truck to. grin

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Ingwe or the bear?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Ingwe or the bear?

Exactly the same!!

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
laugh So true! laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by muddy22
Rev, short answer is yes for me. Mine all have short Rigby style for-ends placing the front band closer than if on a standard length for-end. I also generally have a leather glove on my left hand while hunting, both for movement through woods/brush and to shoot with (the other is in my right rear pocket). I use a sling a lot for shooting (small bore and high power target shooter). I took my Mod. 70 classic sporter 25-06 Antelope hunting a few years ago and after carrying that thing around w/a steel bipod on it all day went back to only a sling. Don't generally use a highpower style shooting sling but one that at least I can hasty up or can use the loop up front. I always have a sling on my hunting rifles, makes dragging game easier w/both hands, take it off and use a drag strap for non horned animals ect.-Muddy

Muddy, I'd love to see a picture. How far forward of the receiver is the barrel band?

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Rev,you asked how well the Pre '64 Featherweight .30-06 shot. Took it out this morning and this was the best group.

[Linked Image]

It's a .396" group at 100 yds,not bad for a 58 yo rifle and a 4x scope. wink Going to load up some more and take it out tomorrow and see what it does again with the same load.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Nice! That'll do the trick!

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Here's a better pic.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Here's a better pic.

[Linked Image]

Nice shooting! Congrats on scoring a winner!

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Thanks Mag! Taking it out tomorrow and see if it'll do a repeat. Of course I need the right amount of coffee to help with the trigger pull. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Awesome shooting elkhunter!!! Excellent rifle and mad skills.. Mine does the same thing and it will be one of the last to go..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Mag! Taking it out tomorrow and see if it'll do a repeat. Of course I need the right amount of coffee to help with the trigger pull. wink

Next time hit the bulls eye... laugh wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 28 of 34 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 33 34

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,221 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,209
Posts18,466,132
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.