Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Used bows are a great bargain - like golf clubs they lose about 40% of their value in a short time and most have lots of life yet - owners of good bows tend to take good care of them. Find your proper draw length and pull a few different weights to see what is manageable. If you are small framed or older 50-60lbs might be where you need to be. Most adult men can pull 60 lbs untilthe let-off is reduced with some practice. Just because your bow can be set to 70 doesn't mean you have to have it there. If you pay attention to your bow, wax the string often and replace it every few years you can use a good bow like a Mathews or Bowtech for many years.

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm currently gathering funds for a Diamond Core. bowhunterssuperstore.com has a package similar to the Bear/PSE packages for $376. Hunters friend has that bow in a package for $555. I know hunters friend includes arrows, tips, release, etc but for now I think I'm going to go that route. Thanks for all of the help guys.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by philgood80
I appreciate your two most recent posts. I haven't looked seriously at bows in more than a decade and had no clue about used bow values. I was curious about how bows held value compared to guns. Also I mentioned my confidence in the owner because if something is not up to snuff he won't price it comparatively with similar items of higher condition. With its lower price than I first expected I wondered if these bows usually went for more used and if the price would usually indicate a red flag and to keep away or if this was the norm. Since he wasn't in the shop yesterday I hoped some of you guys that have bought bows in the past couple of years could shed some light, especially if someone had sold one or bought used. Thanks again.

There's no way I would ever buy a new bow knowing that you can get 1-2 year old bows at half of their original cost simply by searching the internet.

ArcheryTalk is your friend. wink

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
The outback was \ is a very good bow when it was released. I have since upgraded to a DXT a few years ago, but wouldnt have any issue hunting with an outback. Price seems reasonable with the quiver, sight, and biscuit.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I will add to what's already been said that you should look at the sights and arrow rest that come with a used matthews and research what that sight costs new. When I bought my first Matthews new, the arrow rest and sight cost nearly as much as the bow itself. I later upgraded to a newer Matthews and transferred the old sight and rest. If you buy a bow without a good sight/rest you may end spending big $$$ on outfitting it.

IC B2

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I shoot an Outback and bought mine used a two year old bow. It was like new for under half the price of a new one. It was all set up with sight rest quiver and 12 arrows. It was a great deal I have not updated but have replaced cables and string through the years. Since then I picked up the same bow for little or nothing for a spare bow. It was almost new and paid less then a 1/4 of what it cost new and it was also all set up. It has been a great bow and yes you can get a good bow if you go looking.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by philgood80
I appreciate your two most recent posts. I haven't looked seriously at bows in more than a decade and had no clue about used bow values. I was curious about how bows held value compared to guns. Also I mentioned my confidence in the owner because if something is not up to snuff he won't price it comparatively with similar items of higher condition. With its lower price than I first expected I wondered if these bows usually went for more used and if the price would usually indicate a red flag and to keep away or if this was the norm. Since he wasn't in the shop yesterday I hoped some of you guys that have bought bows in the past couple of years could shed some light, especially if someone had sold one or bought used. Thanks again.

There's no way I would ever buy a new bow knowing that you can get 1-2 year old bows at half of their original cost simply by searching the internet.

ArcheryTalk is your friend. wink

Agreed, but.....make sure you know what draw length and weight you want. Changing cams on a Mathews is a $100 deal to change draw length. And if you did not buy the bow from the dealer there will probably not be any deals on the service costs.

There are some very nice bows in the $500 price range new. The Hoyt Charger comes to mind - with one of those you get a new bow, service, warranty a shop not poed because you brought in something bought elsewhere, etc. Something to think about.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
that's what I did, I bought a new old stock bow that was a left over from the previous year. saved me about 25% of brand new cost and was still a new bow.
I went with a PSE stinger and love it. very reasonable and perfect to get back into archery hunting. in a year or two I might pop for a new high end bow, but if this thing keeps shooting as good as it does, I might not!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I've purchased two bows used off of archerytalk. Paid about $200 each and neither had much use. I knew my draw length and what weight I wanted and seached until I find that bow. Lots of people want the latest and buy and sell one every year. I doubt I will every buy one neww again. Make sure the seller has good feedback, though.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 47 invisible), 2,147 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,790
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.