Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So I have one of these coming in a few days and I have to say I am looking forward to some plinking with it once it gets in. Was curious to see if there are any other Mossberg trainer shooters out there.

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 07/13/14.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
My uncle gave me one that had the barrel chopped to 18". I used it for years, plinking and hunting woodchucks and squirrels. The thing is phenomenally accurate. I gave it to a nephew last summer. He's putting it to good use. My only advice is to buy an extra mag or two since they're pretty hard to come by.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
from what I have read on the (a)version, the bores where all lead lapped and tend to be very accurate. should be in tomorrow and I hope to shoot it by the weekend.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
When I shot DCM matches in high school, we only had so many M52s and 40Xs, the other team members shot Mossbergs, as a percentage it was probably 3-3-20. They DID give us a run for our money, at every practice we had. Ultimately, the triggers on the Winchesters and Remingtons made their scores better, but it wasn't mechanical accuracy, it was the better stocks and triggers. Redfield sights helped too, but even so, the Mossbergs held their own.

We had good coaching and worked hard, and even our Mossberg shooters were beating out the JROTC teams shooting Anschutz rifles. Tis the singers, not the songs...

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have my grandfather's 44(d). Lovingly referred as my chunk of tree with a pipe mounted to it. Yet, appearances aside, it is woefully accurate with the right ammo. This one doesn't care for the high velocity stuff, it will shoot it just fine, but on paper it's not as impressive as standard, shorts or even C'Bees. Rabbits, squirrels, prairie dogs, even skunks, raccoons, opossums, feral cats (I did WDC for the state). It quietly clobbered them all.

Swapped out the old weaver tube, because the hair line crosshairs were to hard for my right eye to pick up. It came with several mags, the hooded front sight, and two rear peep sights. One swings out of the way, the other doesn't. Not a pretty .22 or have any glam, but being accurate doesn't always have to be.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm thinking any of the scouts that I let use this rifle for their rifle shooting merit badge should have a decent chance at getting their 5 qualifying targets or they just can't shoot at all.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
I'm thinking any of the scouts that I let use this rifle for their rifle shooting merit badge should have a decent chance at getting their 5 qualifying targets or they just can't shoot at all.

If they can't get their merit badges with it, it's not the rifle, unless it's been ravaged by carelessness.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL

If they can't get their merit badges with it, it's not the rifle, unless it's been ravaged by carelessness.

I agree. Unless someone's abused the rifle, it should be a shooter. The one I own and the others I've shot were all very accurate.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Jim, I have 3, no now just 2 of these trainers. Got mine from the CMP few years back. They all shoot great. I also bought 3 of the Remington 513T trainers when they had some of them in stock.

I have used mine mostly, as trainers, at local NRA youth camps. The kids love it when they find out they are shooting a real WWII trainer!

dave

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I picked it up last night and it doesn't look too bad at all. the stock looked pretty bad with still a bit of cosmoline showing and some darker greyish stains near the butt. I removed the stock and scrubbed it with WD40 and 0000 steel wool. I then wiped it down with mineral spirits. in the near future I think I will rub in a few coats of tong oil or teak oil. Just enough to pop the grain out. will shoot this thing soon hopfully.

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 07/17/14.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I won my Marksmanship merit badge back in '66 with one of those. I never seemed to make it up to the scout camp range in time to draw one of the Winchester 75's. I had my heart set on getting one when I got home, but a nicely priced Winchester 52A winked at me from the LGS rack and I was derailed. Lots of mowed lawns and hefted hay bales later, she was mine. Perhaps I should re-instate my search for a Mossberg, but it may be like hooking up with an old girlfriend- not the dream girl I remembered her to be...

Last edited by gnoahhh; 07/17/14.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well I finally got out to shoot this thing today and other than the trigger pull weight I am more than thrilled with this rifles performance. Dang thing shoots really well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I got a 1938 Mossberg 43 three weeks ago at a gunshow for $50.
It came without a magazine.
I bought a magazine for it for $45 from Havlin Sales.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I got a ~1960 Mossberg 342KA today at a gunshow for $75.
It has the magazine:)

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
All those old Mossberg's shoot good. My 22 magnum chuckster is no exception to the rule either...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I think I might just sand down and refinish the stock on this old beast over the winter. while it is apart i'll see what I can do to lighten that trigger some. it's the only knock I have on the rifle at this time.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've had this thing out a few times now and the more I shoot it the more impressed I am with it. for now I am resisting the urge to scope it but something tells me if I did I could get some teeny tiny groups out of it. yea I know I should be able to with open sites too but these old eyes just aren't there like that anymore. but they were good enough to out shoot the kid again, however I think in time that wont happen much anymore either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jim,

Scope it, shoot it and love it! We a couple retired guys who shoot them in our 100 yard RF fun matches ... a 3-position match and do well with them.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
well i'll have to look around for the appropriate mount. the side of the action is drilled and tapped for a mount. then to decide what would look good

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a 340BA that I am VERY happy with. Here is a target from 50 yds, with peep sight and golden bullets. Shoots the hollow points best. Oddly enough, the expensive target stuff does not shoot as well. [Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
that's a really nice target and 10 shots to boot. hard enough to get a rifle that will shoot like that much less then do it with open sites. don't know which is more impressive, the rifle or the shooter.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The shooter is mediocre. Damn good shooting rifle.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm bringing this thread back up for a couple reasons. first is to show how this thing looks all cleaned up. i did an oil wash to the stock to clean it up but did not want to re-finish it. i left the battle scars but now the stained birch stock shows some figure. the second reason i brought this up is i would like to find one more (i have one now) magazine for it. Havlins are out of them at this time and i can't see paying 60.00+ dollars for one unless i didn't have any. but if any of you guys have one you could spare at a fair price i would really appreciate it. it doesn't have to be minty or even original, just functional.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
still looking for some help on a spare mag if anyone has one to part with. again thanks for any help that may be forth coming.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fixing to post thread about ballistic tests w my 144LS

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
I wish I had bought several mags when I got the rifles I have. I bought two of the CMP "incomplete" M44US rifles, and must have gotten them out of the very last batch. One is a fantastic shooter that I scoped with a Havlins mount glued on with Black Max from Loctite. No drilling needed. I haven't messed with the other one. I need a front sight to match the peep sight I got from Havlins.

Good luck on finding a magazine.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I did find one guy that is selling me one. Should have it next week. I'm going to get one of those scope mounts for my rifle and see how good it really shoots.

The one I have a scope on out shoots my Kimber 82G.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
hey where in Missouri are you motocyclista?

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Jim, a pic from a few years back of couple M44US's I have, along with some other US marked family members.

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That looks like a whole afternoon of fun sitting on that table!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
those mossbert US44's came from cmp, some were parked, some were blued. 69bucks a piece at the time.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

299 members (257 mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 32 invisible), 1,433 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,607
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.