-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Gunshows have become such a waste of time in the past few years, it is refreshing to be able to be in the vicinity of such a good one as Cody, Wyoming.

The show goes for 3 full days starting Friday at 9:00 A.M. There isn't any junk allowed in this show, so you don't have to waste time walking past Beany Babies and Depression glass.

It is hard to concentrate on so many tables with so many great guns and nowhere near enough money to buy what you want. I managed to get home without any expenditures and kept my wallet intact.

It wasn't because there wasn't anything there, I made up a spending plan and stuck to it. My table was display only on Guns With Unusual Provenance and even got an award.

Maybe again next year, I don't know...

[Linked Image]]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Shrap what are the two lever guns on top display in 2nd picture. powdr

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Great show, I haven't been out there in years. I do have the George Maddis educational display award from several years ago for my M70 Transition display.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by powdr
Shrap what are the two lever guns on top display in 2nd picture. powdr

All the guns in that rack are Burgess guns, the most rare are the 2 bottom guns. The top 2 are both Whitney Kennedy saddle ring carbines, the top is a 45-60, the second is 44-40...

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Shrapnel: I am glad you enjoyed the Cody show this year.
I have been to it several times in the past and plan on being there next year.
A close friend of mine did attend the Cody show and was pleased to pick up a Model 1873 Winchester First Model in very good condition with single set trigger and a factory letter.
He paid $5,800.00 for it!
I chose to attend the Bozeman show instead this past weekend and there in lies the conflict with your broad statement "gunshows have become such a waste of time in the past few years"!
I disagree.
Three of us travelled to Bozeman and were first through the gate Friday.
We came home with three freshly purchased firearms, a new/used scope, two books (one for collecting and one for reading/refence!
Many other small items were purchased as well, including a Harris bi-pod, a Buck knife.
I also sold $168.00 worth of ammunition and a Gerber knife.
Had a great time visiting with many of the table holders whilst there.
I do agree some gunshows are heavy on the lens cleaning solutions and homemade jerky but for the patient and careful shopper "jewels" can still be found.
By the way one fo the newly purchased Rifles was a MINT metal Winchester Model 72 and it will be a great project to remove the varnish someone applied to it.
I thought the Bozeman Gunshow was well worth our time and expense to attend.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gotta put that on the list

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Saw a Whitney lever action rifle of some sort this weekend at a pawn shop of all places. Should I have fallen all over myself to buy it?

LOL
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Probably not, it wouldn't know what to do in a closet full of 99's...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like a great show. All the shows in my area are mostly full of ARs, beanie babies and jerky.

Eric

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I agree with Eric's comments on beanie babies and jerky, but somehow this past weekend I found a 1953 winchester 70 featherweight (40 yr safe queen) in 95% condition for $850.00. You just never know what you will come across. Thats what makes the shows fun.

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
shrapnel, Beautiful stuff you have there.. Wish I would have kept up on the gunshows.. I would have tried to make the Cody one.. We have been sticking close to home for the last few weeks, but that would have been worth the trip.. Congrats. on the trophy..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Too bad you couldn't come by...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Probably not, it wouldn't know what to do in a closet full of 99's...

Oh no, it wouldn't qualify to spend time with the Savages, it'd be slummin' under the bed with the Montgomery Wards and Sears Rangers.

LOL
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Roy, Thats why i collect"leverguns" in general,i dont want to be a manufacturer snob !!! grin Shrapnels display is awesome with the different makes! grin when i was at Cody in 2010 i could only stand about 4 hrs at the Buffalo Bill museum before i had brain overload, grabbed my wife and said i got to leave,cant absorb any more !! crazy crazy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Loggah
Roy, Thats why i collect"leverguns" in general,i dont want to be a manufacturer snob !!! grin Shrapnels display is awesome with the different makes! grin when i was at Cody in 2010 i could only stand about 4 hrs at the Buffalo Bill museum before i had brain overload, grabbed my wife and said i got to leave,cant absorb any more !! crazy crazy

Sounds great. Yes, Shrap's got the goods, no doubt about it. Got some amazing rifles Shrap, thanks for showing us.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Loggah

This is more true than not. I can't focus on the gun show with all those nice old guns. It is easier when there are only a few tables at a different gun show and you don't get overwhelmed...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I talked with Shrapnel at the show and his enthusiasm for the history of the old guns was infectious. The history tied into the display was a great part of it and it gets a guy thinking more about the historical aspect of collecting. That double barrel shotgun was awesome and I'll also keep my eyes open for all things W.F. Sheard!
Most everyone I talked to there was excited and enthusiastic about the old guns. Great show.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Brad,

It was my pleasure to meet you there and then to find out that you are a distinguished member of the Campfire. Cody is definitely on my yearly "Must Do" list...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We took a family vacation to the Custer Battlefield, then on to Ennis, MT for a few days, then through Yellowstone and over to Cody, WY. Pulled in to Cody on Monday and saw the big sign hanging over the highway that said "Winchester Arms Collector Show", July 11th, 12th, and 13th". So in this case, I really was a day late and a dollar short. But the visit to the National Firearms Museum made up for it. And I did manage to find 3 factory boxes of .22 Remington Jet ammo at the local gun/pawn shop. Also scored a Smith & Wesson Model 25-2 in .45 ACP at the Sporting Goods store in Ennis, so besides all the sights, it really was a worthwhile trip. Wish I could have made the gunshow though!!!

"Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs".

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 13 invisible), 1,149 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,238
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.