Print Thread
Hop To
H
Hugh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Has any one used one? I just picked one up for 50 bucks off Craigs list its a generation 2. seems pretty sturdy

Last edited by Hugh; 07/14/14.
BP-B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hugh:

Yeah, they are sturdy. But they are heavy, and stiff and uncomfortable. Do yourself a favor and get a good modern pack like an Osprey "Aether" or something similar.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I think they are an incredible pack for the money. I have three of them I keep around and train in one regularly. A little heavy, sure, but built like a tank and carries weight well.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Heavy, stiff and uncomfortable. Let's examine that a bit.

Heavy: made from heavy cordura throughout. Very durable.

Stiff: capable of carrying a terrific load without deforming into a large damp tortilla.

Uncomfortable: available with adequately padded hipbelts and shoulder harnesses of various sizes, and a stay that can be bent to fit your back. So, if you desire uncomfort, flatten the stay, adjust the harness to where it doesn't fit you, and use a too-small belt.

For up to $100 it is about the best deal going for a pack that works. Take a hiking trip and mark every strap and feature that you don't use. Then when you get home, cut those items off.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Vek
For up to $100 it is about the best deal going for a pack that works.

Vek:

Agreed. For under $100, they are a good pack. You get what you pay for. There are a bunch of better packs on the commercial market but the best will cost from $250 to $400. There's the trueism that says "the cheaper your gear is, the tougher you have to be". I'm no longer in the tough category.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Vek
Heavy, stiff and uncomfortable. Let's examine that a bit.

Heavy: made from heavy cordura throughout. Very durable.

Stiff: capable of carrying a terrific load without deforming into a large damp tortilla.

Uncomfortable: available with adequately padded hipbelts and shoulder harnesses of various sizes, and a stay that can be bent to fit your back. So, if you desire uncomfort, flatten the stay, adjust the harness to where it doesn't fit you, and use a too-small belt.

For up to $100 it is about the best deal going for a pack that works. Take a hiking trip and mark every strap and feature that you don't use. Then when you get home, cut those items off.

What he said. I'm not a Marine, but I have over 50 miles through the Cascades (read up up up down, up up up down) with one weighted down to 65 lbs, and it was comfortable.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Love my ILBE and it served me well on two backpack hunts out west. I do have an upper class pack now but I went back and forth several times before I decided it was better than the ILBE. It came down to fit and weight. I'm 6'3" and the ILBE is made for the average Marine who apparently is not 6'3". I got better load lifter function from the upper class pack which I could fit better to my long frame. The ILBE is a good solid pack especially for those of average build

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I love mine as well. It was designed by ArcTeryx for the USMC. If I have to carry over 50 lbs, or put a 5-gallon bucket in my pack and have room to pare, lots of room, I reach for the ILBE. A great buy.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
H
Hugh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
thanks everyone for your comments I couldn't pass on it for the price .

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Another vote for the propper ilbe pack. I use mine for training or camping under 50 pounds. I use my Barney's for 50 plus and hunting. I love the ilbe cause there are so many tie downs I can put a wet tent here, a coat there, a packraft on top my gun on the side, etc. and I use mine without the top and could cut a lot of the straps shorter or off to save weight. Enjoy!

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Another place the ILBE shines is for optics hunting. Tripod on the left, rifle on the right and 15s in that radio pouch thing. And still compression straps left to use. Yes, it is a heavy pack ... and it does the work of one. You're gonna have to spend a lot more to get a pack that handles heavy loads as well yet weighs a couple pounds less.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
724 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.