-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone have one of these? Are they worth extra moolah over a standard GP? A lot of internet reviews seem to think so.

I'm debating a .357 and am leaning toward a DA, but can't rule out a Blackhawk (love 'em) My SW didn't have any 4" or longer GP's in stock...only the Wiley Clapp Model and standard 3" GP.

I know the MC doesn't come with adjustable rear but I could replace it if needed. I am more than comfortable taking one apart to smooth things up but it seems like Ruger really did a good job on it plus you get the chamfered cylinders, edges, etc. In addition, the half lug trims some weight to make it a tad more svelte.

My SW sold the one they had but said they'll be getting another in so I'll be able to handle it in person. Sounds like they run about $150-$200 more. Every review I read mentioned stellar accuracy and, of course, Ruger's bomb proof construction.

Very tempting but looking for more feedback. TIA

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I looked at one at a LGS a few weeks ago and really liked it. And like you said, since it's a RUGER, it's bombproof. I liked the grips much better than the usual GP-100 grips too. Sights were good, however, they ought to have made them adjustable, IMO. I'll probably buy one soon, also.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
MH,
I have been dealing with a bad case of the can't helpits for one of the match Champions myself.

The older I get, the more I enjoy shooting revolvers. That being said, I bought a Les Baer Ultimate Tactical Carry when I retired last year, and this past week, I brought home a Springfield Armory Range Officer in 9mm.

It kind of shot the dollars I was putting together for a MC, but maybe I'll have a chance at another a few months down the road.

I think it is a very viable choice for a self defense handgun, and an all around defensive weapon.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have a 'standard' 4" SS, GP100. I've had the action smoothed and shimmed.

I have also fondled Match Champion when they first came out. I didn't trade.

If you want a really nice, well running GP: buy a standard GP and take it to a gunsmith with your wish list and buy the grips you love. You'll have your perfect gun.

If you want a GP that says Match Champion on it - there you go. I think the Match Champion isn't any smoother than a typical S&W or my GP with the work that's been put into it. The cylinder throats really haven't been chamfered, the cylinders edged have been rounded (big deal), no upgraded grips fit all so what's the big deal?

Don't get me wrong. I am a Ruger fan but look past the cosmetics and I don't see the big deal.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Haven't handled one yet but all the reviews I've seen are very positive and the revolver seems to be typically Ruger-tough. I'm looking for one now instead of an S&W I had been thinking about.

IIRC the rear is a fixed Novak Lo-Mount Carry so probably easy to replace with an adjustable version.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
Haven't handled one yet but all the reviews I've seen are very positive and the revolver seems to be typically Ruger-tough. I'm looking for one now instead of an S&W I had been thinking about.

IIRC the rear is a fixed Novak Lo-Mount Carry so probably easy to replace with an adjustable version.

Your correct on the rear sight. I also like the slab sided barrel. They are also much cheaper than a S&W Performance Center revolver.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spike12
I have a 'standard' 4" SS, GP100. I've had the action smoothed and shimmed.

I have also fondled Match Champion when they first came out. I didn't trade.

If you want a really nice, well running GP: buy a standard GP and take it to a gunsmith with your wish list and buy the grips you love. You'll have your perfect gun.

If you want a GP that says Match Champion on it - there you go. I think the Match Champion isn't any smoother than a typical S&W or my GP with the work that's been put into it. The cylinder throats really haven't been chamfered, the cylinders edged have been rounded (big deal), no upgraded grips fit all so what's the big deal?

Don't get me wrong. I am a Ruger fan but look past the cosmetics and I don't see the big deal.

That's precisely why I started this thread. Wondering if it would cost more to pay a gunsmith to get a standard GP up to snuff or if it's more economical to go with the factory 'custom'.

I also was able to get my SBH trigger to a really nice pull. If I could do that to a stock GP with just some aftermarket kit and elbow grease, I'd probably go that route and put the extra money toward dies and ammo. Hopefully, I'll be able to check both out in person with a gimlet eye and make a somewhat informed decision.

I will say again that most, if not all, of the reviews I've read said the MC was worth it...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,925
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.