Hop To
#9020696 07/13/14
R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
On my 2011 Tundra, I am loading it pretty heavy on this trip and am thinking of putting air whocks on to level out the load. I'll probably be trading the truck soon and don't want to dump a $1000 in the project.

Have already shifted everything around, so re arranging the load has already been done.
What's my best option? If I have it done, will have to drive into Anchorage to have it done, so that might limit my options somewhat.

Fred

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I think you're talking about adding air bags. When I worked at the sears auto center in the late 80's we used to install actual air shocks but I don't think they make those any more. I never did like how they worked, seemed kind of chincey to me. Air bags work well.

http://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Toyota/Tundra/2011/F2445.html?vehicleid=2011306614

http://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Toyota/Tundra/2011/AL88299.html?vehicleid=201117269

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Before you add air shocks (as opposed to air bags), take a look at how they're mounted. Shocks aren't intended to carry a load, just dampen the bouncing. On some vehicles, the mounting bolts on either the body or the axle aren't strong enough to carry a load and can break.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Okay, air shocks are out, air bags are in. How much should a set cost, installed? Any brand recommendations?

Thanks!

Fred

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I looked at them awhile back, Etrailer had the best price.

http://accessories.etrailer.com/search?w=air%20bags

I'd think if not DYI ,you are talking about $500-$600 installed.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If you are selling the truck soon it may be cheaper to buy or rent a trailer for a one-trip deal. Air bags can level the truck but add nothing to the overall load capacity and can signal a buyer that the truck was used heavy.

Last edited by K1500; 07/14/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Renting a trailer 1 way or buying an enclosed trailer is a $2k proposition in AK.

R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Renting a trailer is not an option since I am towing a camper right now and have roughly 2500-3000 miles to go before I get home. Thinking I might just nurse it home going slow-

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think given the parameters you've laid out, some helper springs are going to be your best bet. Cheap, easy to install, easy to remove. They are a compromise, ride w/o a load is going to suck, but probably the best option for what you want.

Example:

http://www.truckspring.com/suspensi...ke=Toyota&year=2011&model=Tundra

David

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I just had a set of firestone air bags added to my Toyota Tacoma in anticipation of pulling a travel trailer. The bags and installation was somewhere around $700, IIRC.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Add-a-Leaf springs only cost about $50 but are more difficult to install than some other booster springs as you have to remove the u-bolts and put them between the spring and axle. They come with new u-bolts in case you have to saw off the old ones.
For a short term deal, they'd be the cheapest fix but I'd go with air bags on a truck I was keeping.

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had a shop that did modifications to factory passenger trucks for GM and Dodge....the trucks were used to tow 5th wheels and trailers...they all had air bags installed...every truck I've owned the past 20 years have added them....

Air bags are between your frame and springs...removing the chance of destroying your shocks....bottoming out of the springs on the rubber stops on the frame....

I always used Air Lift brand...the air bag is a generic part mounting brackets and hardware very per model truck...bags on my 2012 Ford F-350 were originally put on a 2001 Ford F-250 just modified brackets to fit....

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a Dodge 3/4 ton. I bought it used with Firestone bags already installed. The instructions say to keep at least 10lb of air in them at all times to prevent the rubber from cracking. That raises the bumper height about 1" which is no big deal.

― George Orwell

R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I should have explained earlier exactly what my situation is and what I am trying to do-
We spend a lot of time from May to September or so traveling between Montana and Alaska and Canada. We want the ability to get out on the water, so right now we are traveling in a Tundra towing a 30 foot camper with a slide out, and carrying an inflatable boat we just bought and an outboard motor.
There obviously has to be a lot of compromises. We can't tow both the camper and a boat, so the boat had to be inflatable. The Tundra, in my estimation is a hell of a truck but there is a limit to how much that it can drag and cart around.
Another fly in the works is that sometimes we would like to be able to take a ferry to some of the Alsakan Islands, and, man oh man, it gets expensive when you start talking long trucks with long campers.
We have considered finding a place we like and returning there every year, and leaving a boat or even an old camper there, going to a slide in camper and everything else except staying home.

Royce

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
If you are planning to sell it, take a look at Timbren suspension. They replace the factory bump stops, provide progressive load management, and are far less than air bags.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
....carrying an inflatable boat we just bought and an outboard motor.
You've already bought the inflatable but you'd be a great candidate for a PORTA-BOTE. I have the 14' version and a 10hp 2 cycle motor. This thing will really scoot along. I built a truck rack so I can haul it set up as setting it up and taking it down is more tedious than they show on the videos. It's doable, though. 12'ers can be found fairly easily on Craigslist but it took me a while to find a 14. The newer version with the folding transom would be much preferable.

― George Orwell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,311
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.