Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Gentleman,
I am attempting to select a lever-action primary hunting arm to replace my aging 9.3 bolt action. I am looking for something handy but not super lightweight (I will explain that shortly), recoil isn�t really an issue for me but I would like other to be able to comfortable shoot it as I take a lot of people shooting. What is an issue for me is sights, I will need a red-dot. I would like to keep the price at under $700, new or used.
The game that I hunt is: Black Bear � Yearly, Deer � Yearly, Wild boar � every couple years, and a lot of smaller game.
Rifles/Calibers I am stuck between:
-1895 reproduction 30-40 Krag, though I already have access to a sporterized Krag that I have used on bear before.
-336 35 Remington
-Marlin 45/70
-Winchester AE 30-30
My Limitations:
-Weight, I have a condition called Essential Tremors, this is a neurological disorder that causes shaking in the hands this conditions was mild all my life but was made worse once I sustained a traumatic head injury in the military. So the heavier the firearm the better as this keeps the wobble down.
-Length, for the same reason above length is important also. Super short carbines don�t work so well for two reasons, first the closer the hands is to my body the worse the shaking is so I need a decent length of pull, which is easily corrected with a slip on recoil pad and having enough gun to use shooting sticks is important also.
-Recoil, this isn�t an issue for me as I am used to shooting fairly heavy recoiling rifles however I take a lot of young, female and new shooters with me and would like something that they could shoot that recoils a bit more than a AR in 223 or a SKS, but won�t scare them off the process.
-Shell Length, I have considered pistol caliber lever guns however that same condition means that fumbling with smaller cartridges is difficult and getting them from pouch to loading gait is troublesome. My experience with this is limited to 357 mag and 357 maximum, I am not sure if 45 LC or 44 mag would be easier?
-Ammo Availability, this isn�t so much an issue as I mostly reload but would like something I could buy at any gun shop.

What do you guys think?

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Savage 99R in 300 Savage.

24" barrel, Savages heavy 99, and also very accurate. Handloading for women, kids or target practice is easy, Nosler 125 ballistic tips, which would also work for deer. Load it up for bear and hogs with 165 Partitions, or 180's even. The 99's allow you to load pointed bullets, o knock yourself out. I shoot 130 barnes in mine, when I use it. 1 bullet for everything kind of guy... Ammo has been available at several stores in my area all through the Obama years.
A really nice 99R can be had for $600 and often $500. I gave just $405 for a beautiful 99R in 300 just a year or two ago. They can be scoped, are pre-drilled. Never considered a red dot, but I guess if that's what you need then go for it.

Last edited by Fireball2; 07/14/14.

LOL
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
What is your Wal-Mart factor? Do you have to be able to walk into a LGS and get the cartridges off of the shelf, or can you reload?

As far as pistol cartridges, I suspect the shortness of the shell is going to be the limiting factor for you, not the caliber. My Dad has a similiar issue, and the longer rifle shell cases help him a bit.

The 30-30 is the only one on your list that I know of to have "managed-recoil" loads for it, Remington and Hornady both provide an option. Might be the solution for slight/younger shooters.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Marlin 336 in .35 Remington.

Recoil isn't bad at all, yet plenty of power for the game you mentioned.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm a Savage nut, so I'm going to echo Fireball2's comment. A 1950's 99R in 300 Savage has plenty of power to take anything on your list, can be handloaded down to 30-30 specs for young or small framed shooters, and is probably one of the heavier lever actions. I think it was catalogued at 7.75 pounds?

Factory d&t for scope in case you ever get interested in doing something like a 1-4x scope. Should be simple to pick up a set of fire sights and drift them into the standard sight dovetails. Nice ones can be had for under $600 easily with a bit of searching.

99R:

[Linked Image]

The 99EG was 0.5 pounds lighter, but still over 7 pounds and in 300 Savage has the 24" barrel as well. Made for 24 years, most are not factory d&t - which wouldn't matter if you just want fire sights. Still easy to get a nice one for under $600. This gray rat of mine was had for just over $400 and managed to get the first 21 deer I shot at with it using a total of 21 shells.

[Linked Image]

The 300 Savage is an awesome cartridge. Easy to reload, and just plain kills things if you can put the bullet in place. I've hunted with 180gr Partitions and 165gr Partitions and have never had a reason to try anything else, they work that good.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the feedback, I haven't even considered the 300 savage. I know a shop that has some of them, I will go see how they handle.

Ammo availability would be nice but I usually reload or buy it from a fairly well stocked gun shop that I am sure has it because I have seen it before.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm going to recommend the 45/70 1895 Marlin or 336 in 30-30. I don't know if you want stainless or not. If you want a blued 30-30 and ease of loading, look no futher than a Henry. If you like a real nice heavier rifle, the octagon barrel Henry is great. Both of these calibers are never forgotton and only get better through constant development. Ammo is availiable and very cost effective.

Forget the 35 Remington. Nobody here has owned as many 35's as me, nor killed as many animals with it. I'm the King of 336 SS-LTD's. It is a fine caliber, usually on the backburner of cartridge updates, and it DOES NOT kill as good as a 30-30. Others will debate it, and thats ok.

To be quite honest, I haven't seen a 45/70 outkill a 30-30 on the game you mentioned but I will tell you with many many similar shots, I've seen the 30-30 with good ammo produce faster results on said game than the 45/70.

I only use factory 150gr 30-30 but have used the 125gr, 140 monoflex, and 160gr ftx. I don't use these three because they shoot too far off from a regular 150. If I were going to use one round across the board for 30-30, it would be the Barnes HP. I've had outstanding results with powermax winchester HP. The regular 150's are good enough in most cases. I like all my loads to hit fairly close from brand to brand.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 07/14/14.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 44magtrapper
Thanks for the feedback, I haven't even considered the 300 savage. I know a shop that has some of them, I will go see how they handle.

Ammo availability would be nice but I usually reload or buy it from a fairly well stocked gun shop that I am sure has it because I have seen it before.

If you find a couple of 99's you like, snap a picture or two of them and post them or PM them to me. I'll be glad to help you identify the model and any after market alterations. There were 30+ different models sold, the 99EG is the most common but there are plenty of other variations. The 99 is a classic, if you've never held one or hunted with one they are a very well designed rifle that carries and aims very well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 99 is unique for sure

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Look into Browning BLR's as well. Also within your price range on the used market would be the Win 94 Big Bores in .307 Win, .356 Win, .375 Win, .444 Marlin, .450 Marlin.........the later two were actually called the "Timber Carbine".

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I rather like my Rossi 92 in 45 Colt. The factory sites really suck, Lyman and Williams make nice reciever sights. My rifle has a 22 inch octagonal barrel. It hangs nicely when sight at 100 or so yard target.. This rifle also comes in 44 mag.
If I needed longer range I'd look around for a Browning, Winchester 1895 in 30-06. I bought two, one for each of my grandsons. These rifles really like 200 grain round nose cast bullets but you can buy spitzer ammo at local bullets and bait store. Again Lyman and Williams make reciever sites.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You listed the 30/30 in a Winchester Angle Eject. Why not a Marlin 336 thuttythutty? It's a bit heavier, or feels like it, than the 94. Seems more precise when you hold hold on target. Recoil is pleasanter, ammo is commonly available etc etc.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I had two BLRs, I found the to ergonomically challenging for me difficult to keep on the sticks. I bought one in 358 and thought it was a dream come true but the magazine wouldn't feed properly and I couldn't afford one of the old model magazines and the ergonomic issues.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
That was an oversight on my part I mean to include that. I shot a marlin 336 in 38-55 once and enjoyed in, it fit very well. That is one of the options I am examining, 336 in 35 or 30-30.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So yesterday at work I went to a pawnshop near my office and looked at what they had. (As a side bar they had 7.62x39 for $4 dollars a box)

They had a two savage 99s one was a newer model in 38 with a removable magazine and the other was an older one in 250-300. I must say that I remember seeing these rifles growing up at gun shows better never giving them a second look.

I look thoroughly at both. The fit and finish of the detachable mag model was poor (I assume was made later in production?) the 250 savage model on the other hand was fantastic, balance well felt great on the shoulder and I think one will work well on the sticks. I don't think 250 savage is the caliber for me (had one in a ruger international) but I am going to go to the gun shop on Friday and look what they have.

Thanks for the led gentleman. Also doing so internet research it looks like I will be able to easily mount a Burris fast fire it with taking much of the handling away.

Last edited by 44magtrapper; 07/16/14.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
With your problem I would think that loading thru the side loading gate that most levers have would be a problem. Especially with the 44 mag or 45 Colt.

If they would work,you might look at one of the Cowboy versions with a longer octagon barrel. They might be a tad above your projected budget.

Have you thought about a Winchester Model 88 in .308 they can be down loaded to lower recoil and have a detachable box magazine. They can be had for $600 or so.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The side loading gate is the biggest problem. I shoot a Marlin 45/70 from time to time and that still be a problem on some days. I was considering a Winchester 88 but I have never seen on around her for less than $800, that said I have seen the semi-auto versions for around $400, I have been thinking of having one of those rebored to 358 win someday.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 99 with a removable clip is a 99C, and they all date to post-1965 and are often good hunting rifles, but fit and finish usually suck.

The 250-3000 is sweet, but with an older one with 1 in 14" twist I'd hesitate to recommend it for bear or boar. Works fine if you can pick your shot, but a 300 Savage would be better. Did the 250-3000 look like the one in my deer pic above, but without a scope?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It did look a lot like that, I am hesitant about the 250-3000 because I would like the option of hunting other bigger stuff also. Also that particular rifle had a split in the fore-stock.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 44magtrapper
The side loading gate is the biggest problem. I shoot a Marlin 45/70 from time to time and that still be a problem on some days. I was considering a Winchester 88 but I have never seen on around her for less than $800, that said I have seen the semi-auto versions for around $400, I have been thinking of having one of those rebored to 358 win someday.

I'd consider the Ruger Semi in44 mag before the Winchester 100. It would sure do what you want one for. just checking a few internet sites I see them for about $500 for the plain vanilla and they go up from there.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,686
Posts18,399,755
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.