Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
So I haven't been on the site in a long time. Going back about 5 years, I had bought an Interarms Mauser in .243 as a base for a 9.3x62 build.

After many years of the project getting off the ground, I decided to sell the Mark X and scrap the idea.

Things have a funny way of working themselves out though. I had posted the Mark X for sale on a local forum and had a buyer before the end of the day. Later that week, I stopped by a friends shop. He and I had plans of building up a couple 9.3's together. So we chatted a bit and I told him I was selling my .243. He says to me "Oh, I should have told you, there a gun shop just past your house and he has a 9.3x62 for $450. I don't know why I didn't think to tell you!"

So, next day I go by the shop and ask the owner if he has a Mauser for sale. He says, Uh, no. I says You don't have a 9.3x62? He says, well, I do have this CZ a guy sold me. It's in some weird caliber. It might be 9.3. So I follow him to the gun rack and he picks up a CA 550 American in 9.3. We chatted a bit about the gun and the caliber. He said a guy sold it to him with some ammo. The guy was gonna go on a hunt that never came about (much like my 9.3 build). So the tag has a 450 on it, so I ask him if he'd do $450 out the door. He says "Uh. No, that's about what I have in it. What's the price on it. Turns out 450 was a stock number, but it's priced $675. He says I'll do $650 out the doors and I'll throw in all the ammo. I say fine. He gets the ammo, and I'm figuring a couple boxes of Privi or such. Turns out it's a box of Nosler Custom 286gr Partitions, a box of Norma 232gr Vulkan and two boxes of Superior Ammo made up of 10 each 286gr Woodleigh SP's, 286gr Barnes TSX, 250gr Woodleighs, and 250gr Barnes TSX.

I knew that made the price of the gun worthwhile. I figured at least $30/box.

So I out money down on the package.

I priced the ammo online yesterday, and it's nearly $300 retail. So <$400 for a like new 550 in 9.3.

Made my week. Can't wait for squirrel season. Ya'll suppose those 286 gr Woodleigh will stop a gray squirrel?

Last edited by solgardener; 07/14/14.
BP-B2

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
There is a possibility that they may over penetrate. A bit. Depending on the angle of course.

Nice score.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Sounds like a heck of a deal to me! You will like that gun and caliber. Mine, although housed in a different gun, is very accurate and not the least bit fussy about what you feed it.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Makes ya happy to hear good news -- enjoy!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What a steal! Excellent!

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GREAT snag there! I have had several MAuser rifles that I had 9.3 plans for. Like you,mine kept going to the bottom of the projects to do barrel.

Then, I became the proud owner of a CZ so chambered. Great gun in every way. I am happy for a few days, then start asking myself "On what am I going to use this, that my 340 Wildcat or my 416 Rigby is not going to be a better choice (I know, I know, turn in my rifle looney card) but during the dark days wherin I owned this, have a bunch of money tided up in something that I really dod not NEED was not somethiing I could allow myself.

So now, I find myself on the hunt for a Sabbatti SxS in 9.2x74. THAT 9.3 will be different enough to be worthwhile keeping. A decent powerful SxS rifle being a LONG standing itch for me.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by solgardener
So I haven't been on the site in a long time. Going back about 5 years, I had bought an Interarms Mauser in .243 as a base for a 9.3x62 build.

After many years of the project getting off the ground, I decided to sell the Mark X and scrap the idea.

Things have a funny way of working themselves out though. I had posted the Mark X for sale on a local forum and had a buyer before the end of the day. Later that week, I stopped by a friends shop. He and I had plans of building up a couple 9.3's together. So we chatted a bit and I told him I was selling my .243. He says to me "Oh, I should have told you, there a gun shop just past your house and he has a 9.3x62 for $450. I don't know why I didn't think to tell you!"

So, next day I go by the shop and ask the owner if he has a Mauser for sale. He says, Uh, no. I says You don't have a 9.3x62? He says, well, I do have this CZ a guy sold me. It's in some weird caliber. It might be 9.3. So I follow him to the gun rack and he picks up a CA 550 American in 9.3. We chatted a bit about the gun and the caliber. He said a guy sold it to him with some ammo. The guy was gonna go on a hunt that never came about (much like my 9.3 build). So the tag has a 450 on it, so I ask him if he'd do $450 out the door. He says "Uh. No, that's about what I have in it. What's the price on it. Turns out 450 was a stock number, but it's priced $675. He says I'll do $650 out the doors and I'll throw in all the ammo. I say fine. He gets the ammo, and I'm figuring a couple boxes of Privi or such. Turns out it's a box of Nosler Custom 286gr Partitions, a box of Norma 232gr Vulkan and two boxes of Superior Ammo made up of 10 each 286gr Woodleigh SP's, 286gr Barnes TSX, 250gr Woodleighs, and 250gr Barnes TSX.

I knew that made the price of the gun worthwhile. I figured at least $30/box.

So I out money down on the package.

I priced the ammo online yesterday, and it's nearly $300 retail. So <$400 for a like new 550 in 9.3.

Made my week. Can't wait for squirrel season. Ya'll suppose those 286 gr Woodleigh will stop a gray squirrel?

Sounds like you bent that guy over the counter to me... Pics of the rifle would be nice too...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
No pics just yet, but I took it shooting this weekend (sans scope) to see what the recoil was like. It shoots like a dream. The recoil is about equal to the Remington 600 in .308 that my son shoots. It's hard to believe that a rifle capable of dropping a grizzly could shoot so mildly. I'll get a scope on it and post some pics.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
9.3x62 is a great round and a gun of the CZ's weight is a pleasant shooter. And, this round is generally very accurate with most loads.

Check on this site for JB's pet 9.3x62 loads. They work.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No pics just yet, but I took it shooting this weekend (sans scope) to see what the recoil was like. It shoots like a dream. The recoil is about equal to the Remington 600 in .308 that my son shoots. It's hard to believe that a rifle capable of dropping a grizzly could shoot so mildly. I'll get a scope on it and post some pics.

Grizzly? THAT is all you think it good for? Hail FAR boy! That there round has probably dropped more of the African big five than any oth er THREE cartridges you would care to name. Possible, and I do mean possible exception being the 375 H&H, but it is waaaaayyyyy up there.

A 9.3x62 is, to a Dutch, Brit, German or other European descent family in Africa, what a 30/06 is to us, or the 303 to the Canucks. Legal and lethal on all game up to and including Elephant in a couple of countries.

You have a very fine and truly one to do it all rifle there. Not to worry, though, we won't tell your wife..... wink cool

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
My interest in the 9.3 goes back at least five years, so I have an idea of it's usefulness. It's unlikely that I will ever hunt in Africa, but the big game in North America are not out of the realm of possibility. I wanted a 9.3 more because I "just did" than for any actual need. I will hunt whitetail with it this year. I'm thinking I'll stick with a Norma 232 Vulkan for them, over the 286gr bullets. The only detractor I've noticed is the lack of lighter bullets for less big game. Maybe they're out there but I haven't found them. A friend just bought a CNC turning center and is planning to turn some solid copper bullets for his 338 Lapua. I'm considering working on a solid around 200-225 grain for the 9.3 if we can keep the dimensions right. I'm a long range shooter, so it's hard to not want to do the same with the 9.3. I see that with 250gr Accubonds, the rounds is still supersonic at 1,200 yards (and has the energy at 800 yds that a 5.56 does at the muzzle). I know that's not the typical application of the bullet, but if it'll do it, I'll try it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Any particular reason you want to use a lighter bullet for smaller big game? In my experience, on quite a few animals, the 250+ grain 9.3 bullets work just fine on deer-sized game, putting them down very quickly without much meat loss. This includes both the 250 AccuBond and 286 Partition.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Really, just based on energy deposit from the heavy, rapidly expanding bullets. If you vouch for the 250-286gr for whitetail, I'm good with that. I have some of each, so once I scope the rifle, I'll check out the POA/POI of each bullet. I'd guess that within 200 yards, drop would differ very little between a 232 Norma and a 286 Woodleigh, at least as far as a deer is concerned.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My 9.3 CZ AHR is a tack driver with 250 NAB's and your load. The 286 NPT is almost as accurate.

I was concerned about narrow wound channels thru a WT with those big bullets, not DRT like with smaller, faster expanding bullets.

Appreciate your observations and may try my 9.3 on WT's this Fall. Would those big slugs perform better with shoulder shots, or should I go with my usual heart/lung shot?

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I shoot 'em wherever looks like the closest path to the the top-of-heart-lung area, and they drop pretty quickly. Sometimes it's shoulder, sometimes it's lungs.

Both the Partition and BT have very soft front ends, and even though they typically retain 75-85% of their weight, even 15% of 250 grains is 37.5 grains of shrapnel. Due to the moderate velocity, however, they don't shoot up much meat, especially the 286.

The farthest I can recall a deer (or other deer-sized animal) going after being shot with either bullet is around 25 yards.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I can handle 25 yds.

Thanks,

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My interest in the 9.3 goes back at least five years, so I have an idea of it's usefulness. It's unlikely that I will ever hunt in Africa, but the big game in North America are not out of the realm of possibility. I wanted a 9.3 more because I "just did" than for any actual need. I will hunt whitetail with it this year. I'm thinking I'll stick with a Norma 232 Vulkan for them, over the 286gr bullets. The only detractor I've noticed is the lack of lighter bullets for less big game. Maybe they're out there but I haven't found them. A friend just bought a CNC turning center and is planning to turn some solid copper bullets for his 338 Lapua. I'm considering working on a solid around 200-225 grain for the 9.3 if we can keep the dimensions right. I'm a long range shooter, so it's hard to not want to do the same with the 9.3. I see that with 250gr Accubonds, the rounds is still supersonic at 1,200 yards (and has the energy at 800 yds that a 5.56 does at the muzzle). I know that's not the typical application of the bullet, but if it'll do it, I'll try it.

I was just ribbing you a bit, was pretty sure that you - like most folks here- know of Dr Robertson's significant successes with the 9.3 as well as is overall usefulness.

Just could not pass up the opportunity for a little bit of fun with the reply post.

I hope you enjoy your 9.3x62 even MORE than you think you are going to! Thump 'em, bubba!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
9.3x62 CZ AHR

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DF, That one is alsmot too cool for words. NICE hunting rifle, there.

I especially love the short forend and nice open slender grip. I don't know why more stock manufacturer's dont "get" that point about stockbuilding. I mean, how hard would it be for Remchesterby to re align thier tooling a little to bring us a nice grip like this on thier guns? Most rifle grips are far too angular and feel more like a 2x4 than a fine rifle stock in one's had. Oh well, more work for the custom guys, I guess.

Congratulations, are in order.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
A-36ish ho my...

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
DF,
That is a beautiful rifle!
Wayne did my 9.3 Carbine earlier this year and I couldn't be happier with the work.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Safariman, Clear our some of you PMs and tell me about the stock Karnis did for you. My CZ 9.3 need a little upgrade. Its already been to AHR for sights, banner smoothing, trigger and bolt handle. Next is the stock...

Semper Fi

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Solgardener,
Take a look at the Cutting Edge bullets. They might suit you- link

I happily run Nosler bullets for all NA game with MD's loads with zero problems.

That said, I have also taken a liking to the PRVI bullets too. Nice and soft... super cheap. Yeah they weigh in at 285 grains but for skinny animals I have yet to get better results.

Semper Fi

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I would like to see reports on Cutting Edge performance.

DF

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have never used them myself. I know they are around and he mentioned lathed brass bullets...

Honestly, I can't even work up the gumption to use mono metals on game until forced. Much like I am weary of expandable broadheads. I like to eliminate variables that I can control and use what I have confidence in.

Semper Fi

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The notion of turned bullets would be for target shooting mainly, at least until I saw some effect in ballistic gel. The thing about the CEB projectiles is the BC is low compared to the Nosler 250 AB.

The stock looks great. I didn't really WANT the 550 American, but itll do. I'd rather have had the FS for the style, but I'll likely end up putting irons on the American.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The American stock is designed around our likes. The Euro stocks have a lot of drop. My CZ 550 FS is a 7x57 and I like it a bunch. It does have a lot of drop, but that doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother others. This one has the butter knife handle which I really like. Opened, the handle is positioned much like a 60* bolt throw, not too close to the scope like so many 90* guns. I like the gray metal finish and the Turkish Walnut furniture. I installed a Timney to replace the CZ single set trigger which broke. No down side to this Timney, it's just great.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I haven't used the 210-grain Cutting Edge Raptor on any game yet, but have used other Raptors and their terminal performance is impressive. But my range testing also indicated the BC's are lower than CE lists, and they're not all that high in the first place.

The 210 gets around 2850 fps with 66 grains of Reloder 15 in my CZ 550. Accuracy is plenty good enough for big game at "normal" ranges but not outstanding in this rifle.

The 232-grain Norma Oryx (essentially the bonded version of the 232 Vulkan) gets a little over 2700 with 64.0 RL-15, and groups under an inch, but again the BC is so low it doesn't shoot as flat as the 250 AccuBond at 2650 fps.

For a low-cost deer bullet I would go with the 270-grain Speer, since it will usually group in the same place as 286's.

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Congrats on the CZ. Have owned a number of them (including 3 full stocks)and have found all to be good shooters. I also am fond of the set triggers.

Don't know how big or tuff the squills are where all ya'll are from, but a 286 gr. Nosler Partiton out of a 9.3 x 74R will sure do for all but the biggest 'hoppers we have here in the Texas Hill Country.............

[Linked Image]

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by haverluk
Safariman, Clear our some of you PMs and tell me about the stock Karnis did for you. My CZ 9.3 need a little upgrade. Its already been to AHR for sights, banner smoothing, trigger and bolt handle. Next is the stock...

I cleared out enough PM's to be able to recieve a new one or two, thanks for the heads up.

Here is the stock Karnis did for me using the FACTORY CZ stock! Who knew that varnished piece of wood had this much beauty hidden inside of it?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I especially appreciate the wonderful, open, slender grip he cut out of that hunk 'o wood that CZ sent the rifle out with. Also the flush fitting or fully recessed 'super grade' esque sling swivel mounts. The one up front for sure, as this rifle would, when I first shot it, cut a brand new groove into your hand with its originally placed sling swivel stud out there in the open on the forend. My first solution was mounting the sling swivel out from the forend tip.

My metalwork was done by Ed LaPour (model 70 safety, single stage more robust trigger, slicking everything up, Wiessner bottom metal allowing for a capacity of FIVE 416 Rigby rounds down in the magazine etc. Jim Rector of La Grande OR did the bolt handle turn up.

I take this hunting for North American game now as my chances of going back to Africa and AK are not so good these days. But, with a 350gr TTSX at 2750 (my 100gr of powder load above) it is pretty flat shooting etc. With the proper stock now, the FELT recoil is much less. Probably has something to do with being abel to grip and hold onto the rifle better!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice.

Always love seeing Karnis' work.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The notion of turned bullets would be for target shooting mainly, at least until I saw some effect in ballistic gel. The thing about the CEB projectiles is the BC is low compared to the Nosler 250 AB.

The stock looks great. I didn't really WANT the 550 American, but itll do. I'd rather have had the FS for the style, but I'll likely end up putting irons on the American.

Damn, who uses a 9.3x62mm for target shooting anyway? whistle

I know they drop critters just fine:
[Linked Image]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Nice.

Always love seeing Karnis' work.

DF

THANK YOU! I am SO proud of this rifle, it is truly the crown jewel of my safe. Karnis doing this for me when I first got sick, on the cheap like I could not turn down as a get well gift, gave me inspiration to do all I can to get BACK to Africa and keep my dreams alive through all of this health crap. I have been tempted to sell it, but doing so would mean I am giving up on a (seemingly far fetched right now) dream.

Yeah, Karnis does way awsome work to be sure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BSA1917hunter,

GREAT photo! I want to get back into Elk hunting, too. Keeping my 340 around for such a day.

Cow Elk taste, mmmmmm....mmmmm.... GOOD!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yup via the original 250 gr X in 2002.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ed,

VERY nice Eland!

I used more than a few original X bullets in Africa as well, back in the day. These including my lone, true 40 inch cape buffalo. 416 400gr original X right through the front of the chest and into/through the heart. He was dead, but it took a while for him to figure that out.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
It worked on kudu or two as well. One shot and two down. smile

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Awesome Ed. I'll keep practicing on elk around here until I have enough money scraped up to go on that dream hunt in Africa. Looks like the 9.3x62mm works on just about everything grin cool

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
9.3x62 just might truly be THE best all arounder cartridge. Sort of like the Kawasaki KLR 650's (been hangin out in GunGeek's motorcycles we love thread a bit too much wink cool ). Not specatular, or headlines grabbing, but capable of doing really everything, world wide, and pretty darned well!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A person also has to factor in history, romance, just plain cool factor, the fact that it is easy to put into a standard length action without a bunch of additional cost. The final fact is that it Performs and always has like an '06 or 7x57......it really gets the job done well.

Factor in when you bump into someone out hunting and they ask what you're carrying, and you say 9.3x62 and they either get a confused look on their face ( always rewarding ) or they say " man I love that cartridge or I really want one of those ".

9.3x62......all sides are up, there are no downsides. grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dave93
A person also has to factor in history, romance, just plain cool factor, the fact that it is easy to put into a standard length action without a bunch of additional cost. The final fact is that it Performs and always has like an '06 or 7x57......it really gets the job done well.

Factor in when you bump into someone out hunting and they ask what you're carrying, and you say 9.3x62 and they either get a confused look on their face ( always rewarding ) or they say " man I love that cartridge or I really want one of those ".

9.3x62......all sides are up, there are no downsides. grin

Excellent post Dave. BTDT. I also always think 5 in the mag and 1 in the pipe powerhouse. Not that it's needed, but it's there. This also reflects my feelings towards the gilt edge accuracy I get from my 9.3: It's not needed, but it's there!! I don't think you can ever have too much of a good thing, but the 9.3x62mm comes pretty damn close..

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, the 9.3 is long on cool, short on problems...

DF

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I lucked out several years ago and bought this one off AuctionArms.com for under five hundred bucks. It is so light though I know I am going to get pounded. The main reason I've never fired it. Husqvarna Model 146.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by TheKuskokid; 07/30/14.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice looking rifle and I really like the Husky.

If it's real light, it will talk to you...

DF

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by TheKuskokid
I lucked out several years ago and bought this one off AuctionArms.com for under five hundred bucks. It is so light though I know I am going to get pounded. The main reason I've never fired it. Husqvarna Model 146.
[Linked Image]

Yeah- that buttplate kinda has 'Ouch' written all over it......

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Originally Posted by TheKuskokid
[Linked Image]

Yeah- that buttplate kinda has 'Ouch' written all over it......

As does the amount of drop in the stock and the narrow looking (from here) comb.

That said, I would be proud to own it! I bet it feels wonderful in the hands and points very naturally.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Phil Shoemaker built a very light weight M-70 9.3x62 with iron sights. As you know, Phil is a noted guide and big bear hunter in AK. His idea, he carries it a lot more than he shoots it.

This Husky is a similar concept and would be good for that application. Adding a scope will up the weight somewhat. I agree with Mark about the drop at the comb. That bothers some a lot more than it does me, but I have a long neck.

Nice gun. Hard to beat a Husky for slick action.

DF

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Gentlemen,

Thank you for the compliments. When I bought it, it had an ancient repair to the wrist. I could see where the action was pounding on the stock, so I bedded everything, including drilling through the wrist into the butt, and inserting a threaded rod surrounded in epoxy. Once done I carefully checked to make sure nothing was touching the rear of the action so it wouldn't act as a wedge.

The stock is slim for sure, it has some cast-off in the stock too. It comes up like a fine shotgun. Balance is just a bit barrel heavy so it feels quick in the hands. I do have a box of Norma 286 grain around somewhere, I need to shoot the thing just to say I've done it. But it is very light, like around six pounds no kidding.

It is unusual in that the action is an m98 and not a Husqvarna version of the m98 or an FN action. Trigger is crisp and it feeds like a dream. So we will see just how bad that buttplate (horn) will feel. smile

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You'd hate to replace that original horn butt plate with a pad...

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Phil Shoemaker built a very light weight M-70 9.3x62 with iron sights. As you know, Phil is a noted guide and big bear hunter in AK. His idea, he carries it a lot more than he shoots it.

This Husky is a similar concept and would be good for that application. Adding a scope will up the weight somewhat. I agree with Mark about the drop at the comb. That bothers some a lot more than it does me, but I have a long neck.

Nice gun. Hard to beat a Husky for slick action.

DF

I remember seeing Phil's rifle in a magazine article and that is about the perfect rifle for any kind of hunting.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You'd hate to replace that original horn butt plate with a pad...

DF

That's probably the first thing I'd do. A red Pachmayr decelerator would look nice and cut down the pain factor. ...... Immensely!!

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, you'd about have to do the pad if you wanted to make into a shooter.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Tell me about it. I shot my 30-06 fwt with the original aluminum butt plate the other day and I forgot what fun it is shooting it in a t-shirt cry eek

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A well done pad shouldn't distract from the value of that gun.

For me, it would increase it... grin
\
And it would make it a usable rifle.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Aw hell, grab that rifle like ya got a pair. grin

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Us mere mortals ain't as tough as you, Gunner... shocked

You da Hoss on big kicking rifles... cool

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, just a little thick-headed I'm afraid.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'd do the pad, which would be an opportunity to have an optimal LOP.

Phil had a peep sight on his LW 9.3. That may be an option.

A low powered scope in Talley QD's would be nice if one didn't want to fool with the peep. That would give the opportunity to use the existing irons.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My buddy got a steal on a NOS CZ 550 American at Cabelas they wanted to get rid of.

Found a Mcmillan on their specials page and grabbed it. He got a whim and sent his in to AHR and, man, do they do nice work! We shot it for the first time (post AHR) last Sat. He plans on keeping it open sighted.

It is a flawlessly performing rifle and the work is top notch. I told him he ruined my Remmy 9.3 for me! frown might have to buy a Ruger African or No.1!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's a beautiful CZ. Probably shoots just as good as mine too. Nice rifle!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You guys are making me wish I had not sold my Ruger African in 9.3x62! I had always wanted one, but once I had it I could not envision a scenario where I would grab it over my much tweaked and tuned 416 Rigby or superfast wildcat 338. So, I sold it.

I know, I know.... send in my rifle looney card for violating the "a cool rifle does not have to serve a purpose or niche'" rule.....

That said, I have seen a few Remington pump rifles re done to this caliber. One of THOSE would have me figuring out how to pay for it! But it would definatly get a nice, big, fat, soft (kinda like me shocked crazy ) recoil pad and 2 or three extra magazines.

The sights on the CZ above look like they are or would be VERY fast and easy to use, and shoot pretty well with!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
234 members (257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 35 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.