Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Rolly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am hoping Jay and the club members from Libby, MT, chime in on this topic. The shoot was fabulous. There were rifles there that only a rifle loonie could dream about. Guys shooting double rifles in 470 Nitro Express and 500 Nitro Express. Vendors showing guns and offering to allow you to shoot up their ammo--including a 505 Gibbs. The lunch was super. The weather hot--there was a misting tent to cool off under. There was free ice water. The shoot went absolutely without a hitch. As a competitor, I honestly can't find anything that I could suggest that would improve it. They had volunteers, lots of them. The shoot started on time. Wow ! There were shooters from Washington state, ID, MT, Texas, Florida, two women shooters, some young shooters and some older ones too. Everybody had a blast-no pun intended. Took about 20 shots. If you are interested you need to come next year, assuming the match is held again. Jay Sheffield was the primary organizer and it was organized !
I cannot say enough thanks to Jay for the event and the good time.

Rolly
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Well, the fourth annual Safari Rifle Challenge is in the history books and will hopefully be remembered as the best one yet. We had nearly 60 registered shooters from all over the western states (is Texas in the west?) and Canada. An army of volunteers working two ranges, a registration/scorekeeper booth,a raffle booth that drew a name every 5 minutes throughout the day as well as a cook staff to keep us all fed at noon made me very proud.
So, let it be known that Andy Larsson (owner of Skinner Sights) is now the reigning champion of the Safari Rifle Challenge 2014! He narrowly edged out Andy Eff who took second place. For those that missed the shoot, you will be able to read about it in upcoming issues of Outdoor Life and Rifle magazines as John Snow and John Haviland were both in attendance. And for those who can't read, Michael Bane and his crew were also there filming for an upcoming edition of Shooting Gallery on the Outdoor Channel. More to come tomorrow, but thanks for all of your continued support, particularly Jeff Sipe and the staff at Montana Rifle Company and Shawn Joyce of Diizche Safari Adventures. Both are major supporters and their contributions made this event a day to remember!

For those that are interested in such things, this was the course of fire...

2014 Safari Rifle Challenge World Championships
Course of Fire / Stage Descriptions

Muzzle UP and Action OPEN while entering and exiting the range. Do not pick up brass, it will be gathered for you. Confirm your score while still on the firing line.

Stage 1 �Sight in at camp with ReVersa Target Stands�. (Distance 45 yards, round count 2) Starting position is standing with an EMPTY rifle, action closed, safety off; rifle must be held with both hands in the firing position and aimed at the target. On the signal, keeping muzzle pointed safely down range at all times, shooter will retrieve one round, load and fire, reload one round and fire again. Open action for inspection and keep the muzzle pointed up when directed to exit the range.

Stage 2 �Montana Rifle Co. Fast Blast�. (Two shooters, 2 rows of jugs, Distance 25, 35, 45 yards, round count 3). Starting position is standing with 2 rounds in rifle, safety on, finger OFF trigger, low ready position. On the signal shoot any two jugs, reload ONE round and shoot third jug. The first shooter to hit all three jugs receives an additional 1 point. Open action for inspection. Muzzle up to exit the range.

Stage 3 �Diizche Safari Elephant Hunt�. (Distance 25, 45 yards, round count 2). Starting position is standing with one round in chamber, safety on, finger off the trigger, rifle in low ready position. On the signal shoot the 45 yard side brain elephant. After firing, move diagonally approximately 5 yards to the marked position, reload with one round and shoot the 25 yard frontal brain elephant target. Open action for inspection. Muzzle up to exit the range.

Stage 4 �Nitro Express Safaris Crossing Buffalo�. (Distance 40 yards, round count 2). Starting position will be standing with 2 rounds in the rifle, safety on and finger off of the trigger, low ready position. On the signal a crossing buffalo with a gallon jug �lung� will start across in front of you. If you burst the jug with the first shot you will earn 10 points, if you burst it on the second shot then you will only receive 5 points. Open action for inspection, muzzle pointed up when exiting the range.

Stage 5 �Champion DuraSeal Challenge� (Distance 20, 40 yards, round count 2) Starting position is standing with 2 rounds in the rifle, safety on, finger off the trigger, low ready position. On the signal, shoot the hanging three inch DuraSeal ball at 20 yards then shoot the four inch DuraSeal diamond spinner at 40 yards. Shooter earns 10 points per hit. Open action for inspection, muzzle up to exit the range.

Stage 6 �Crocodile DuraSeal Brain Shot� (Distance 75 yards, round count 1) Starting position is shooters choice of standing offhand, standing with sticks, kneeling, or seated on the bare ground. One round in chamber, safety on, finger off the trigger, muzzle pointed down range. On the signal fire one round into the RED DuraSeal �brain� causing it to spin and you will earn 10 points. Hits anywhere else are scored as a miss. Action open for inspection, muzzle up to exit range.

Stage 7 �Nitro Express Safaris Charging Buffalo� (Distance 40 and 15 yards, round count 2) Starting position is standing, 2 rounds in rifle, safety on and finger off the trigger, low ready position. On the signal, the 15 yard buffalo will begin its charge. You must FIRST shoot the gallon water jug at 40 yards and then shoot the charging buffalo with your second shot. 10 points for a burst jug and actual points earned on the Champion target placed over the buffalo brain. Open action for inspection, muzzle up to exit the range.

Stage 8 �Diizche Safaris,Save the Tourist�. (Distance, crossing at 25 yards. Round count 1). Shooter will load and chamber 1 round, engage safety and place rifle on the table. Shooter will then take a seat in the chair 5 yards away from the table. On the signal, the leopard starts and the shooter will move forward, pick up rifle and shoot the crossing leopard, firing one round into the Champion paper target placed over the leopards� lung area before it gets to the tourist. Points earned will be the actual number scored on the paper target, body hits will be scored as a miss. Open action for inspection, muzzle up while exiting the range.

Stage 9 �Montana Rifle Company Charging Jug Shootout� (Two shooters, Distance; charging from 15 yards, round count 2,) Starting position is standing with 2 rounds in rifle, safety on, finger off the trigger, low ready position. On the signal a cart with 3 hanging jugs charges the two shooters. Shooter on left shoots left jug for 10pts, shooter on right shoots the right jug for 10pts. Once your jug bursts, you may then engage the center jug. Shooter that bursts the center jug earns 10 more points. In case of a tie on middle jug, both shooters will fully load their rifles, safety on, low ready start position. On the signal, each will engage the 50 yard jug placed in front of them. First shooter to burst their jug earns 10 points. Open action for inspection. Muzzle up to exit the range.

Stage 10 �Reversa Targets Precision Shoot�. (Distance 25, 35, 45 yards, round count 3). Starting position will be standing with 2 rounds in the rifle, safety on, finger off the trigger, low ready position. On the signal, shoot the 25 and then 35 yard clay birds in the ReVersa Target holder. Transition to the kneeling position, load one additional round, remain kneeling and shoot the 45 yard clay bird. You earn 10 points for each clay target hit. Open action for inspection, muzzle up to exit the range.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Here are a few pictures from the shoot...
How do you even get 450 one gallon jugs of water to the shoot?[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Registration booth
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Ron Petty of Norma USA and Jeff Sipe of Montana Rifle Co.
[Linked Image] [img]http://i1210.photobucket.com/a...5141_695_zps8e6186c9.jpg[/img]
The crossing buffalo...
[img]http://i1210.photobucket.com/a...2352_989_zps1797d68a.jpg[/img]
Wayne Jacobsen of American Hunting Rifles being interviewed by Michael Bane
[img]http://i1210.photobucket.com/a...13_113333_026_zpsd914bf0a.jpg[/img]
Elephant Hunting
[img]http://i1210.photobucket.com/a...05438_611_zpsb4a28c8b.jpg[/img]

"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
John Snow of Outdoor Life Magazine and Jeff Sipe Montana Rifle Co.
[Linked Image]
Gene Gordner checking out the raffle table (Gene was shooting some stunning old rifles and he definately hits whatever he is aiming at!)
[Linked Image]
The infamous "charging water jugs"
[Linked Image]
Shooting birds in the ReVersa Target Stands
[Linked Image]
Shooting the attacking Leopard
[Linked Image]
John Snow (L) and John Haviland (R) checking out Genes old guns
[Linked Image]
The Montana Rifle Company Booth where EVERYTHING on the table was available to take for a "test drive" with all ammo being provided free of charge by Norma Ammunition! Lots of shooters used them for an entire stage. Where else can you shoot a 505 Gibbs,416 Rigby or any other major caliber on somebody elses dime?
[img]http://i1210.photobucket.com/a...0713_094644_141_zps621c78fa.jpg[/img]
Taking a long poke at a big Croc!
[img]http://i1210.photobucket.com/a...40713_114345_530_zpsf02025e7.jpg[/img]
Andy Larsson from Skinner Sights with his First Place trophy which was sponsored by Shawn Joyce of Diizche Safari Adventures
[img]http://i1210.photobucket.com/a...161810_967_zps25c8dc99.jpg[/img]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IS this shoot by invitation, or a collection of men who won shoots or placed highy in other safari rifle competitions, or can anyone with a good, big rifle come and shoot the course?

I would love to have a good reason to limber up and oil the 'ol 416 Rigby while awaiting the funds to go back to Africa again.

Any course of fire for a medium like my 340 Tyrannosaur?

Thinking about getting one of Hubel's 585 Express bolt action repeaters.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
We are open to anybody with a good rifle and a GREAT attitude. If you want to be kept in the loop please email me at

safaririflechallengeyahoo.com

and I will add you to the info list. All emails are confidential and are ALWAYS sent as BCC so nobody else on the list gets to see it either. JCS

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Excellent, and good timing - we are having our Big Game Rifle Championships here in Australia this weekend. I'll be heading up there this afternoon.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
e-mail sent.

I will be looking forward to news of any further events.

Is that you in the Avatar? Are you a judge? If yes and yes, then I defended you quite vigorously in the attacks on you via the internet. Count me as a reliable and fox hole fightin friend.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yes safariman, that is me, and I remember you guys going after that bunch of nut jobs pretty hard. I appreciated the support and the case agent from the Joint Terrorism Task Force was quite impressed. I guess they decided not to come pay me a visit afterall, it gets pretty scary up in these mountains after dark! I added you to the list and hope to meet you next year. Good shooting, JCS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I am glad you are a part of our forum here!

I will do my very best to make it to the next shoot, whenever that is.

Blessings and safety to you sir,

MARK

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
That sounds like a great time and a chance to test and improve your skills with a large rifle. Wish we had something like that around here.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
That is EXACTLY what I said 4 years ago. Make up some targets, call your buddies and go have fun. If you build it they will come. Good luck, JCS

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,338
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.